Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Cleaning Up
 My house is becoming a home again!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Cleaning Up: Previous Topic My house is becoming a home again! Next Topic
Page: of 2

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2007 :  2:52:46 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Wow Ladies!

I realized why I feel like my house is so dirty... because I haven't been able to do a deep clean for about a year. First I got pregnant and then I had to deal with really bad morning sickness, then as soon as that was over, I got a job where I was working close to 50hrs a week- and then I had Nora! It has been a very busy year so instead of neglecting my body- I neglected the housework. Something had to give!

But now with my kitchen sparkling, my entry way clean and organized, my outdoor carpet on the front porch shampooed (yes I shampooed it!) and my laundry caught up... I feel better about my life and I feel more in control and I feel like I can give myself permission to play with Nora even more!

There is still a long road in front of me, but I am starting to see the bottom of the bottomless pit :D Three Cheers for me! hehehe!

I am purging and dusting, vacuuming and wiping everything down, and as I clean I am trying to build in some organizational structure too.

I probably sound crazy, but today was the first day that I actually wanted to have the drapes open all day in the longest time! And I even wouldn't be mortified if company dropped in unexpectedly! How amazing is that?!

Alee
The amazing one handed typist! One hand for typing, one hand to hold Nora!
http://home.test-afl.tulix.com/aleeandnora/

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2007 :  3:30:14 PM  Show Profile
LOL! sounds a lot like me. I have miles to go before I sleep :/
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2007 :  5:03:01 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Oh I as well! I am just so excited to not feel like I am bogged down anymore. At least I have a few places to rest my eyes if I need to see some order :D Maybe tomorrow will see the completion of cleaning the living room! :D I am so close! And the laundry room doesn't need all that much help so I have hopes for that as well!

Alee
Go to Top of Page

carycamille
True Blue Farmgirl

163 Posts

Camille
Cathlamet Washington
USA
163 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2007 :  5:42:17 PM  Show Profile
Isn't it amazing how a clean house can make you feel? I know because mine seems to look like a hurricane blew through it and I hate to have "un-expected" visitors drop by. Some how they never seem to drop in when I have just finished cleaning. My 2 dear children and dh can drag out more stuff in just a couple of minutes than I can put away. Oh well, I have a sign that reads: " I cleaned house yesterday, wish you could have seen it"

Camille

www.mypowermall.com/biz/home/14088
Go to Top of Page

junkjunkie
True Blue Farmgirl

1306 Posts

Judy
Lawrenceville NJ
USA
1306 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2007 :  6:02:35 PM  Show Profile
Good for you! I second that..three cheers for you! It really lightens everything up in your life when your house is really clean and organized.

"To have life in focus, we must have death in our field of vision." Benedictine monk John Main
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2007 :  7:16:06 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
So I drug our blanket box from the bedroom and put it under one of our picture windows in the livng room area. It is now home to Nora's toys at night. I can drag out what I want her to play with in the morning and have a nice clean "adult" living room after Nora goes to bed at night. Our TV got dusted. Tomorrow I am going to put the attachment on and vacuum out the permanently installed air conditioner. I am so close to de-cluttering I can taste it! I have a few hot spots around the living room, but DH just took out the trash so that helped a lot! :D

Nora is having fun flapping her her arms and legs on the floor (she doesn't need toys to entertain herself I guess! :D)

Alee
Go to Top of Page

Carol Sue
True Blue Farmgirl

4033 Posts

Carol Sue
Washingtonian
USA
4033 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2007 :  10:15:07 PM  Show Profile
Oh Alee, I can so understand, our lives have ups and downs and when our health goes nutty, life really changes. I have felt good enough yesterday to clean our the fireplace. I was so happy to get that little spot done. I felt like I had done a marathon, but it feels so much better. Today a dusted off my dresseer and it had such a thick thick layer, sneezed like crazy.... I think that is how my cleaning will be for right now, but that is okay, a little tiny bit at a time, is still success.
Give Nora hugs for me.....
Carol Sue

Enjoying life.
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2007 :  11:32:28 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Carol Sue- I have a fake shammy for you from the dollar store. It is great! You have to keep it slightly damp and in it's container but it grabs and holds on to dust so amazing!! I will bring it with me next time I see you!

Alee
Go to Top of Page

Cheryl
True Blue Farmgirl

919 Posts

Cheryl
Magalia CA
USA
919 Posts

Posted - Sep 28 2007 :  07:30:41 AM  Show Profile
Alee, Good for you! I always feel better when my house is clean. I like that fake shammy idea, I will have to try it (I hate to dust!)
Cheryl

I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Philippians 4:13
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Sep 28 2007 :  3:43:59 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Today I wiped down the fronts off all the cupboards in the kitchen, I washed the section of the paint above the cupboards and pulled the vent hood down and washed it. I also pulled down the air conditioner cover, vaccummed the air conditioner foil, washed the cover and replaced it, vaccuumed the refrigerator coils. I also vacuumed the whole living room and dining room area and washed the kitchen floor.

Hopefully soon I will get to folding laundry. It is cloudy out today so I don't feel as motivated as other days, but I think I have gotten quite a bit done!

Alee
Go to Top of Page

PlumCreekMama
True Blue Farmgirl

730 Posts

Heather
Iowa
USA
730 Posts

Posted - Sep 28 2007 :  6:58:59 PM  Show Profile
When you get done, Alee, you are more than welcome to come for a visit to Iowa and start on my house! Ha ha! I don't know how you have the energy. I just don't. My house is horrible! Every time I get something done, I wake up the next morning and it's dirty again. I think my dirty clothes are breeding because I no sooner get laundry done than the hamper is spilling onto the floor again!
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Sep 28 2007 :  8:00:30 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Heather-

Honestly I haven't had the energy for a long time. I guess that is why it has taken me about 6 months to get to some of these chores. But I am eating lots of fruits and veggies and cutting down on excessive carbs and excessive meat. I don't know if that is what has sparked the new energy but it seems to be the right timing. That and just getting sick of rushing in the front door so the neighbors won't see inside! :p

I think having Nora now crawling and rolling around is a huge incentive as well. It is amazing how quick she can get around and I just can't be there to pick little things out of her hands so I just am working to make sure there isn't anything growdy on the floor. I have been vacuuming every day just for that reason.

And the more I clean the more I want to get it all done. I love the way my kitchen and a large part of my living room is looking. I am so ready for everything to be in it's place. Doug is happy and I think gets more "rest" when he is at home as well.

Alee
Go to Top of Page

babysmama
True Blue Farmgirl

931 Posts

Elizabeth
Iowa
931 Posts

Posted - Sep 28 2007 :  8:11:46 PM  Show Profile
Alee, you are making me tired just from reading what you have done today. I am in the midst of morning sickness and have no energy whatsoever. I get tired just thinking about doing something and my house is a mess!! Stupid me, I planned a party for my daughter's birthday for next Saturday so I have exactly one week to get ready. EVERYTHING needs to me done as I have fallen so far behind on the whole house that I have to start from the beginning. I bought a carpet cleaning machine today because our carpet needs it - do those machines (A Bissell cleaner) really do anything at all?
-Elizabeth
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Sep 28 2007 :  8:35:38 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Elizabeth- Can you return the bissel and get a hoover instead? I had a bissel and it conked out on me after only about 2 years, my mom has an older model hoover that is over 10 years old. So I bought the updated version of her machine which was only $35 more. It has more powerful suction and does a much better job.

But yes, the home carpet cleaning machines really do work.

I am so sorry you have morning sickness! That is so tough! I remember that stage all too clearly myself! *hugs*

Alee
Go to Top of Page

babysmama
True Blue Farmgirl

931 Posts

Elizabeth
Iowa
931 Posts

Posted - Sep 29 2007 :  12:14:52 PM  Show Profile
Our dinky little Wal-mart does not have a Hoover carpet machine. They only had three to choose from and two were Bissel and the other was something I've never heard of. Though I would prefer a machine that was recommended (like the Hoover) I needed it this week and since I won't be going out of town for awhile decided to buy the Bissel. I just finished with the dining room carpet and though it is still wet I think that the machine did make a big difference (especially judging from the water that was brown and gross!!). So I will keep this machine and maybe just have to update it in a few years. How often do you clean the carpets?
I think it will be nice to have. The kids make a lot of spills and it will also be nice to have clean carpets for the baby to crawl on once he/she is here and up and about!!
-Elizabeth
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Sep 29 2007 :  9:09:15 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Elizabeth-

My mom does her carpets about every two weeks, but then again she was the owner of a very greasy lab and has allergies. I do mine maybe once a month because it isn't much harder than vacuuming and it makes me feel better about having carpet. :D

Alee
Go to Top of Page

Canadian farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

482 Posts

Lori
Ontario
Canada
482 Posts

Posted - Sep 30 2007 :  10:36:12 AM  Show Profile
I have a Bissel machine and it has done a fairly good job, judging from the dirty water I've emptied out of it! Also, had a flood in the basement, and the machine was great for just sucking water out of the carpeting. I've found if you push down on the nozzle, you get even more water/solution sucked out. Mine's clear plastic, so you can actually see if you've got all the water out of the carpet.

Lori
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2007 :  08:29:09 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Today is tidying up after Doug's day infront of the TV yesterday and finishing the living room. Hopefully I will get to the bathroom as well!

Alee
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2007 :  6:01:33 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Okay! The living room, dining room, kitchen are all in order and I started tackling the office. *AKA Man Land* I am all caught up on laundry and I went and got groceries and vacuum bags today too. :D Tomorrow is the rest of Man Land and the bathroom and laundry room. Then last of all will be the bed rooms! We are lovin the new clean house! :D

Alee
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Oct 03 2007 :  08:58:57 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I shampooed a section of the "Man Land" carpet. Oh lordy! It is a creamy/carmely carpet that is shag and there were black spots all over it from drops of pop that had splattered over the last two years. All that sticky sugar attracted all sorts of dirt and debris.

And I got it all clean! :D The carpet looks like new again...in that one section...lol I am still working my way into the rest of "Man Land" right now I can't even get to my sewing desk which is in there too!

I also got most of the bathroom deep cleaned yesterday. Today should finish that off in no time and Man Land should be tamed. Wish me luck!

Alee
Go to Top of Page

babysmama
True Blue Farmgirl

931 Posts

Elizabeth
Iowa
931 Posts

Posted - Oct 03 2007 :  12:31:43 PM  Show Profile
I've actually had a little energy so I went through the kids fall clothes and sorted the dressers, got the kitchen counters cleaned and the sink sparkling yesterday, and will vacummn and pick up the three main rooms downstairs.
Yesterday we had pouring rain and the toy room ceiling upstairs started to leak. Hubby peaked in the attic and it looks really wet around the attic. We are having someone come look at the whole roof this week to see if all the shingles need replaced or just a little spot. Ugh - more money to spend.
When hubby was in the attic he noticed lots of bat droppings. Anyone know how to get rid of bats in the attic? We don't notice anywhere that they can get in but I know they can squeeze in little places. Anyone have success getting them out of an attic?
-Elizabeth
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Oct 04 2007 :  4:23:05 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Elizabeth-

I wish you luck with your leaking ceiling and bat issue. Maybe the roofer guys will know what to do?

Today I am sick. Very Very sick. I have been up off and on since 1am this morning. So no cleaning today. My house will get messy. It already is back to being a bit messy again, but oh well. As soon as I get better I will clean again and it won't be so bad this time. I can still see my coffee table- Thats a good sign! :D

Alee
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Oct 07 2007 :  3:02:09 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I am back to being behind in folding my laundry, but I am strangely okay with that. Okay, not really, but I am too sick to have the motivation required to fold laundry. I am going to make myself clean tomorrow because the house being disorganized is stressing me out! *twitch twitch*

I did however get my sewing machine out so I have been working a bit on the larger size of diapers for Nora. We have been making the smaller size work, but that won't last much longer.

So tomorrow will be decluttering, laundry, and dishes day. That should get me back to where I was. The bathroom still looks nice, but I haven't done any more work in Man Land.

Wish me luck!

Alee
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2007 :  1:35:43 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
So much for making plans! LOL This cold has been very tenacious, just bad enought to make me tired and icky feeling, but not bad enough to warrent a doctor's visit.

Last night I finished my sewing projects (Except the embroidery), so that can get all put away. I have gotten a lot of dished done today (scarey how they build up on us like that!). The house is shaping up pretty fast. Soon I will be back to working on Man Land again! ;D Wish me luck!

Alee
Go to Top of Page

CherryPie
True Blue Farmgirl

935 Posts

Kimberly Ann
Puyallup WA
USA
935 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2007 :  1:45:41 PM  Show Profile
The areas of severe clutter are shrinking in my house, thankfully. But the office is still the big daddy of all disasters. Most of the junk belongs to hubby and he hasn't had the time to deal with it yet. But the day of reckoning is almost at hand...

Kimberly Ann
http://nostalgichomemaking.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2007 :  3:19:36 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Those offices have a way of turning into Man Land don't they?

Alee
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Cleaning Up: Previous Topic My house is becoming a home again! Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page