Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2007 :  9:01:47 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Has anyone seen this show on the BBC? I am addicted. It is a show where two british ladies go around Great Britian and clean up the nastiest houses imaginable! One of them likes science so she takes swabs in the muck and dirt and then points out to the house owners how nasty their house has been.

Some of the results have been shocking. Lethal amounts of bacteria, viruses, and fungi and people have been eating, cooking and sleeping around it! Yuck!

The biggest thing that they say helps: Cleaning! (go figure!) :)

Another thing I like about the show is they really like to use simple homemade cleaning solutions (organic and natural) and they work wonders!

And it always motivates me to go tackle a new project around the house.

So have you asked yourself lately "How clean is my house?"

Alee
The amazing one handed typist! One hand for typing, one hand to hold Nora!
http://home.test-afl.tulix.com/aleeandnora/

sunshine
True Blue Farmgirl

4877 Posts

Wendy
Utah
USA
4877 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2007 :  9:10:36 PM  Show Profile  Send sunshine a Yahoo! Message
sorry I can't watch normal tv yet ours broke before the move my husband bought one two weeks ago but we have no antenna on the house or cables so no reception so we just watch videos that we already own when we want to watch something right now.

have a lovely day and may God bless you and keep you safe
my bloghttp://sunshinescreations.vintagethreads.com/
my web store http://vintagethreads.com/

Edited by - sunshine on Aug 22 2007 05:33:09 AM
Go to Top of Page

brightmeadow
True Blue Farmgirl

2045 Posts

Brenda
Lucas Ohio
USA
2045 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2007 :  10:47:07 PM  Show Profile
At my house it is not so much the dirt but the clutter that does me in... I can keep about half the rooms free of clutter, but I am afraid to go into two of them.

You shall eat the fruit of the labor of your hands - You shall be happy and it shall be well with you. -Psalm 128.2
Visit my blog at http://brightmeadowfarms.blogspot.com ,web site store at http://www.watkinsonline.com/fish or my homepage at http://home.earthlink.net/~brightmeadow
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2007 :  11:03:21 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Doug and I did a blitz on the living room today. We took out a lot of trash which always helps us with the cluttered feeling. I am going continue working on it tomorrow. I have a lot of dishes to do after canning the spagetti sauce. :)

Alee
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9338 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9338 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2007 :  06:13:51 AM  Show Profile
Yes,
Our problem is not the dirt as much as the clutter. It seems we can not stand to see anything with a flat surface be free of piles of things. I keep trying to work on that but as soon as something is cleared off someone finds something they just have to put there. Aaahhh

"The earth is the Lord's and the fullness thereof and all that dwell therein."

www.torismimi.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

a rose
True Blue Farmgirl

443 Posts

Linda
Waterford NY
USA
443 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2007 :  07:33:58 AM  Show Profile
Ah...clutter! It is so depressing. Everyday I wake up and want so much to declutter but when I look at it I don't know where to begin so, I say tomorrow. But it seems like tomorrow never comes. I would love to throw it all away but there is this little person inside who keeps saying "maybe you'll need this someday". Funny thing,someday never seems to come either.

Remember me as a rose.
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9338 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9338 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2007 :  08:16:37 AM  Show Profile
Ah Linda,
I know that little person of which you speak very well. Just haven't figured out how to shut up that little voice that tells me I'm being wasteful and as soon as I get rid of it I'm going to need it for something so better wait. ACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"The earth is the Lord's and the fullness thereof and all that dwell therein."

www.torismimi.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

frannie
True Blue Farmgirl

2246 Posts

fran
bonham texas
USA
2246 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2007 :  08:39:24 AM  Show Profile  Send frannie a Yahoo! Message
ditto,ditto,ditto
CLUTTER aka craft supplies.

love
fran

(http://farmfolks-frannie.blogspot.com/)
Go to Top of Page

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2007 :  08:56:58 AM  Show Profile
Clutter is the bane of my existence. Sounds like that's true for a lot of us, so I feel a little better about the state of my house now. I actually had a big fight with my husband last night about this very thing. Problem is, I can keep my own stuff organized but I can't keep someone else's stuff organized. And 9 out of 10 items in our house are his.

The bigger underlying issue is that he is using the house as a workshop for too many activities. There's no room for the ordinary things in life. Nothing has a home, so it's hard to tidy up. For instance, the big downstairs closet is housing two drum sets. The basement is full of car parts. The attic is his office. There's no place to store family memoribilia, tools, cleaning supplies, craft supplies, etc. All that stuff is out on countertops or stacked in boxes in the "living room". Anyone else have this problem? I imagine anyone who runs a home business has had to deal with it. Any solutions that worked for you? I'd really appreciate any tips, as this is turning into a big, ugly relationship issue.
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2007 :  09:22:10 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I think you might have answered your own question- You said nothing really has a "home". But it needs one! We have had an issue with this at our house. Especially with tables and such becoming dropping off points. The only remedy I know is finding a home for everything! Buy storage bins, tool chests or whatever you need to restore order. Maybe install one of those peg boards that holds tools? And really- how many drum sets does one guy need?

Alee
Go to Top of Page

Annie S
True Blue Farmgirl

756 Posts

Annie
Custer S.D.
USA
756 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2007 :  09:29:39 AM  Show Profile
I LOVE THAT SHOW TOO!!!!!! I stop what I'm doing and watch it every day. It's funny as well as informative. But I can't believe how some of those people live!!! And with children too. The garbage they have just laying around - for years! And for some it's just that they don't want to throw anything away - think there's a disease for that. But mostly it's just not taking the time to clean up after themselves. The transformations of their houses is remarkable. I give a big high 5 to the cleaning crew those two women use to help them. It sure inspires one to keep your house clean and tidy.

Annie
Go to Top of Page

therealshari
True Blue Farmgirl

235 Posts

Shari
Beryl UT
USA
235 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2007 :  10:13:54 AM  Show Profile  Send therealshari a Yahoo! Message
Each of us have "our own" space. That helps confine clutter to our own spaces.

We fight, or rather have given in, to the constant dust here on the desert.

Recently, we've discovered that if we plan a party, like a cook-out, we're willing to clean the whole house... just in case company comes in for something.

So, we've "cleaned" house three times this summer... Memorial Day, 4th of July, and last weekend when we had a "going away and welcome home" potluck.

Shari Thomas
farmer, web copywriter, blogger
Shari's Gone Country
Vote for me at "Blog for a year"
Go to Top of Page

Bridge
True Blue Farmgirl

814 Posts

Bridgette
Southern Indiana
USA
814 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2007 :  10:16:51 AM  Show Profile
I watch and love that show also!! I agree some of those houses are quite yucky!!

~~Bridge's Blog~~

Go to Top of Page

Patsy
True Blue Farmgirl

592 Posts

Illinois
USA
592 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2007 :  11:09:04 AM  Show Profile
I like that show too. My house is pretty clean I guess. You might not want to eat off the kitchen floor but you can eat off the table. Lol. And I don't think anything will reach up out of the carpeting and grab you. But I do live here so it sure isn't spotless.

May God bless those who love the soil,

Patsy

Go to Top of Page

_Rebecca_
True Blue Farmgirl

568 Posts

Rebecca
OK
USA
568 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2007 :  12:15:56 PM  Show Profile
I love Kim & Aggie. My kids and I watch that show every day. I grew up in a house that could have been on one of their shows. My mom was ill most of my growing up years. So, I love watching people get a new start with their homes. And it really makes me gag seeing some of those houses. The goat-farm couple were so cute. Have you seen that one??

I love watching them teach people to clean. My mother was a germ-freak so I grew up knowing how to clean stuff and be very hygenic. Our bathroom always sparkled and my mother did laundry up until she became very ill and then my sisters and I did it or my dad did it. But, my mother didn't dust or clean walls and she wanted to vacuum, but never had the energy (fibromyalgia). So, it was an odd mixture of things. Anyway, yes, it really prompts one to clean.

I love it when Aggie says "cooker,""mousie" and "beastie." And when Kim always says "My Love" to everyone. And then they pick on each other at the end of the show. Too cute.

I also like to watch the show and see what people's homes are like.

The lady with the cockatills was so disgusting. She had slugs under her couch.

And the episode with the small family living on the house boat--I wanted to choke them and ask them what their problem was??? It can't be that hard to keep a tiny house boat clean. I mean, come on! You have about maybe 50 sq feet of space? Is it really that hard to wipe some surfaces and throw away some trash?

There was one lady, I don't understand why they cleaned her place, with all the knick-knacks and they didn't even go back to visit her because they knew that she wasn't going to keep it clean. What a weirdo. She lived by herself.

.·:*¨¨* :·.Rebecca.·:*¨¨* :·. http://boinglink.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Rosemary
True Blue Farmgirl

1825 Posts

Virginia
USA
1825 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2007 :  1:16:35 PM  Show Profile
Before I got married, I always knew where the scissors were. Ya'll know what I mean, right? ;-)
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2007 :  1:30:17 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
It always makes me happy to see the nice clean houses and the people making efforts to keep it all clean too!

Alee
Go to Top of Page

JessieMae
True Blue Farmgirl

702 Posts

Jessie
Raleigh North Carolina
USA
702 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2007 :  1:40:57 PM  Show Profile
I used to watch that show when it was on Lifetime. It makes me wonder how people let things get "that bad." I'm not a clean freak, but when the insects move in, or rats die inside your radiator, wouldn't you think that you MIGHT consider getting some Windex? Suddenly, I have the urge to go downstairs and bleach my kitchen....
Go to Top of Page

Dixie_Amazon
True Blue Farmgirl

125 Posts

Dennise
Baton Rouge LA
USA
125 Posts

Posted - Sep 15 2007 :  2:54:49 PM  Show Profile
Has anyone seen the new episodes on BBC America? They don't do the 2 week check-up anymore.

Dennise
Go to Top of Page

junkjunkie
True Blue Farmgirl

1306 Posts

Judy
Lawrenceville NJ
USA
1306 Posts

Posted - Sep 15 2007 :  4:50:28 PM  Show Profile
I haven't seen the BBC show, but on Style channel, I watch 'Clean House'. I like the hostess, Niecy Nash, with her spicy personality and some of these homes are really unbelievable! They clear out the homes and use a little psychology to pry some of the stuff from the homeowners. Then they have a yard sale and with the money, they clean and redesign their house. I find that show addicting...I see the same episodes over and over, but keep watching. I like stuff, so I have more of a clutter problem....especially one bedroom, in which I always keep the door closed. I go in every now and then, let out a sigh and close the door again. Overwhelming!

"To have life in focus, we must have death in our field of vision." Benedictine monk John Main
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Sep 15 2007 :  5:44:27 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I have seen the new episodes! I was wondering if they just weren't checking up on some of them- but it does look like they have stopped doing the 2 week check now that I think back on it! How sad! I always liked to see how they were doing!

Alee
Go to Top of Page

Canadian farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

482 Posts

Lori
Ontario
Canada
482 Posts

Posted - Sep 19 2007 :  07:32:45 AM  Show Profile

Hi,

Well, this makes me feel so much better, other people have the clutter problem, too! I read a book a while ago called Sink Reflections by Marla Cilley (the Flylady) who has lots of advice for cleaning up. Some of it is do-able, like getting rid of 17 things a day, whether it's 17 pieces of paper, or 17 old socks (supposed to be a Zen thing, I think). Anyway, it helps to get started, because sometimes I think that's the problem, we don't know where to start, so we just run around doing a little here and there, and it doesn't show much. How about cleaning out a drawer, or a closet, to start? Then you have something to show when you're done. You're also supposed to pick up something and ask yourself if this makes me smile, or have I used it in the last 2 years? However, she wants you to jump out of bed and put on lace-up running shoes (this is supposed to get you motivated)! The sink reflections part is about going to bed with a sparkling sink, as this is another motivator in the morning.

Another good philosophy is, every time you bring something new home, you should toss something old.

Lori
Go to Top of Page

_Rebecca_
True Blue Farmgirl

568 Posts

Rebecca
OK
USA
568 Posts

Posted - Sep 19 2007 :  08:37:52 AM  Show Profile
I love Sandra Felton. She seems to have a clear perspective. messies.com is her website.

Rebecca

.·:*¨¨* :·.Rebecca.·:*¨¨* :·. http://boinglink.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

kissmekate
True Blue Farmgirl

890 Posts

Kate
Delano Minnesota
890 Posts

Posted - Sep 19 2007 :  8:13:33 PM  Show Profile
My house is lived in. I am not a clean freak at all. BUT, it is tiny and becomes a cluttered mess if I don't keep on top of it. At the very least, the toilet is clean enough to eat/drink out of, and the dishes and kitchen table are clean.

I always joke that I fired the maid. Which is me. LOL

I used to horde/buy stuff I didn't need, but slowly I got rid of it. Some of it is psychological. I felt "safe" with all the junk and "hid" behind it.
As I got rid of it, I learned to love myself and not hide so much anymore. I am still pretty shy, but not as bad as I was. And I dont' have as much crap.
Now if it isn't a food product/necessity, I better really LOVE or need it for it to get to stay.
I also keep a bag to toss Donations into, so I can throw it into the car if I am off to Goodwill for something.

Don't miss out on a blessing, just because it isn't packaged the way you expected. ~MaryJo Copeland
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Sep 19 2007 :  8:34:26 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I am watching a show right now where the lady goes out every day to buy new clothes for the next day because her house is so messy that she has a hard time doing laundry! Oh my gosh!

Alee
Go to Top of Page

kissmekate
True Blue Farmgirl

890 Posts

Kate
Delano Minnesota
890 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2007 :  10:12:36 PM  Show Profile
I know someone like that. My favorite Aunty. She is such a slob. I rarely visit her, and if I do it is as brief as possible.
She buys new clothes and dishes instead of washing them. Such a waste. She has piles all over her house. I don't think it has ever been clean. I don't know how some people live like that.

Don't miss out on a blessing, just because it isn't packaged the way you expected. ~MaryJo Copeland
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Cleaning Up: Previous Topic How Clean is Your House? Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page