Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2007 :  9:24:57 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Okay, so I am chuckling as I write this, even though it has caused a lot of trouble here in our household.

At first we though Sky was really having a hard time being house trained. We would come home to find wet spots on the carpet. But eventually (after many wet spots on carpets, couches and bed spreads) she got diagnosed with hormone dependent incontinence issues.

So what does this mean? Effectively she has to be on hormones for the rest of her life.

Has anyone else had to deal with this with their pooches?

Alee
The amazing one handed typist! One hand for typing, one hand to hold Nora!
http://home.test-afl.tulix.com/aleeandnora/

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2007 :  11:49:57 PM  Show Profile
When my basset hound Daisy was about 12 (she lived to be 13 and passed away in her sleep about 9 years ago) she became sort of incontinent. What a pain! But she was such a sweet dog that we dealt with it. We didn't have small kids in the house at the time...the older ones were teenagers and the little ones hadn't been adopted yet...and she slept on an old blanket that was washed each morning and hung on the line. She was outside in the daytime..luckily..being an old basset she wasn't able to jump on the couch or other furniture..so we just had to be careful where she laid down..that seemed to be the times she "leaked" the most..not just walking around.
Poor Sky! How old is she?? I found a great odor neutralizer spray that worked just terrific on her "accidents if they happened on carpet...I will try to remember the name. I bought it at a dog grooming shop where I once worked..way worth getting. A vet could no doubt recomend a good spray for cleaning too.

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2007 :  04:13:18 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Sky is just 4 years old. It is caused because the humane society had her spayed way too young as a puppy (less than 2 months old). Vet students were the ones who spayed her, and I think a qualified vet would have refused until the puppies were older- but the damage is already done.

As long as she is on her hormone pills she does really well.

Also if you put straight white vinegar on piddle messes it messes up the protiens and kills the smell. I just make sure that she has her own blanket that we wash all the time, she isn't allowed on the furniture much any more and I shampoo the carpet if she messes.

Alee
Go to Top of Page

AFMom
True Blue Farmgirl

100 Posts

Erica
North Dakota
USA
100 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2007 :  07:24:32 AM  Show Profile
My dog, Pepper, is turning 14yrs old on Oct. 1st and he has just begun "dribbling" whenever he has been laying somewhere for a long time or whenever he gets excited. The vet said it is a prostrate issue and is common in dogs his age. It does get frustrating for me having to clean up after him, but I love him so much and he has seen me through so many hard patches..this is the least I can do for him. I love him so much. Hope the pills work...Erica:)
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2007 :  07:30:03 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
So far they are working wonderfully and the vet told me that it will get to the point where she won't have any accidental accidents any more :D

Alee
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9372 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9372 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2007 :  08:03:15 AM  Show Profile
We had this trouble with one of our Bostons. She just passed away last month hers was kidney disease. Had I been a little more knowledgeable I would have had her checked for that when the leaking started about 4 or 5 years ago. She was 9 when she died.

"The earth is the Lord's and the fullness thereof and all that dwell therein."

www.torismimi.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Tracey
True Blue Farmgirl

766 Posts

Tracey
State of Confusion
USA
766 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2007 :  10:30:15 AM  Show Profile
LOL...that's the funniest topic line I've read in a long time, Alee!

Early spay and neuters have been done for decades now, so I don't think it was that so much as possibly an issue with the who/how it was done. Our humane society has been spaying and neutering as young as 10 weeks and I've not heard anyone having a problem. Also know reputable cat breeders who've been having the procedure done before sending kittens out to new homes; if there was a chronic problem, they'd stop.

Anyway, good to know that your doggie's not leaking anymore

Check out the new designs at my Cafe Press Store!
http://cafepress.com/mustangfever

http://carpentercreek.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2007 :  10:53:30 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Hi Tracey-

I don't know if any of the other dogs in the litter have problems, but they were all spayed and neutered at about 6 weeks. My vet seems to think that Sky was just too little to have surgery at that time. I know it can happen without the spaying though. So we will probably never know exactly why it is happening. But thank goodness for the hormone pills! :D

Alee
Go to Top of Page

doglady
True Blue Farmgirl

435 Posts

Tina
Howard Ohio
USA
435 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2007 :  10:57:55 AM  Show Profile
Hi Alee,

I have heard that in cats, it doesn't cause much of a problem if they are spayed early. However, as a breeder and grooming, I can tell you it does make a big difference in the smaller breed dog. The vets decided about 15 or so years to do early spays to cut down on unwanted puppies but most have come to their senses now and don't recommend a spay before 5 months of age.

Here's the reason: It takes a smaller breed much longer to mature physically, and if you spay very early, their urinary tract system is not fully developed. Thus, you have an adult dog's body with somewhat of an under developed urinary tract system which simply can't hold it for long periods of time. I have found this to be true with my grooming clients who spayed their dogs very early years ago. Their dogs had a "leaking" problem all of their lives and were more prone to infections as well. As for the vet students doing the surgery, they probably did everything just fine and many owners don't keep in touch with the Humane Society or previous owners of the litter. The problem lies with the age. Other vets and groomers see these problems more. I'm glad the hormones are helping your girl.

Tina

You can tell your dog all of your secrets and they'll never say a word!
www.kennelcreations.com
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2007 :  11:14:47 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I suppose it could be either way or some unknown reason or a mixture of both. I am very happy for the hormone pills, though it will be a "rest of her life" medicine. I just had not idea that this could happen with dogs until it happened to us. I hope that if others have a leaking dog that is too young for that sort of issue- that they will check out the hormone cure :D

Alee
Go to Top of Page

Shirley
True Blue Farmgirl

734 Posts

Shirley
Olympia Wa
USA
734 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2007 :  11:18:18 AM  Show Profile
Alee,
I think my dog leaks on purpose. LOL
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2007 :  2:48:12 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Shirley-
ROFL! I have heard of dogs doing that! In fact that is what we thought Sky was doing since when she was awake and around us she would beg to get out.

Have you ever seen a look of mortification on a dog's face? I wouldn't have believed it before I saw Sky when she woke up "wet". You ladies would love her- I swear she is a person trapped in a dog's body. She has the most expressive eyes and facial expressions!

Alee
Go to Top of Page

Trace
True Blue Farmgirl

247 Posts

Tracey
Canton New York
USA
247 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2007 :  8:10:03 PM  Show Profile  Send Trace a Yahoo! Message
Hi Alee,
My border collie, Jane.. started leaking at age 3, she is now 8. The age at which a female is spayed really plays no part of it at all. It's just the luck of the draw, lol. I had Jane spayed when she was over a year in age and she leaks.
She is also on the "magic perwinkle pills". you may find that over time, you can reduce the dosage to every 2-3 days instead of a daily basis thing. When Jane was younger, I got away with giving them to her only when she started leaking and then not agian til she started again and she would go months, leak free. But as she is getting older, just this year, I have had to go with the every 3 days thing.

what a puddle it can be huh Alee, lol
Trace

pics from my world.. http://s4.photobucket.com/albums/y144/tra-dun/
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2007 :  8:48:05 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
LOL- You said it Tracey!

Alee
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Sep 29 2007 :  09:35:10 AM  Show Profile
Haven't had to deal w/ this yet, as my most recent pet-child is a mere 11 months and years away from bathroom issues I hope. As a younger pup, she was a happy piddler and was just so gleeful to see people. I'd feel embarassed whenever she left a spot on the concrete. She has been spayed since the end of July and so far, no potty problems.

So long as any old dog is still of sound mind, I too wouldn't sweat a little piddle here and there. I'd consider pampers for pooches before giving them the pink juice. (that's what color euthanasia solution is)

Oh, and my first dog came spayed at the tender age of 9 weeks! I didn't think they did spays that early. I found out from my current breeder that if you do this, the dog's bone growth plates get all messed up, and you end up with long gangly legs. Now that I think about it, my first dog was wiry and thin.
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Does your dog leak? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page