Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2007 :  6:48:41 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I just realized that with all the cooking and cleaning that I am doing, I am basically working an 8 hour work day, just like Doug is.

But I think I get the better deal. I get to play with Nora and be at home with her and every day he comes home and is so happy with how the house is coming along.

I get up in the morning and clean up any messes that were left over night in the kitchen, then I start folding, washing, and putting away laundry. After/inbetween I work on the room of the moment like the living room or bathroom or whatever.

I make lunch for myself and of course Nora eats whenever she wants and goes to bed whenever she falls asleep deep enough for a nap.

Then I try and plan for when Doug will be home so I can get a dinner started. So by the time he gets home I feel good about devoting the evening to family and crafts and maybe a movie on TV.

What do you other SAHMs do? Are your days similar to mine?

Alee
The amazing one handed typist! One hand for typing, one hand to hold Nora!
http://home.test-afl.tulix.com/aleeandnora/

lovelady
True Blue Farmgirl

533 Posts

Toni
Indiana
USA
533 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2007 :  07:07:25 AM  Show Profile
Alee-

Our days sound very similar, but I think SAHMs work more than an 8 hour day!! :)! We live with my BIL and his fiancee right now (LONG story but our house 60 mi. north is for sale and we are here til we find another...) so our schedule has to revolve around theirs' a bit. My soon-to-be SIL doesn't have to be at work until noon most days, so I try to keep Wyatt upstairs playing until at least 8:30 or 9:00 so we don't wake her up, then we come down, have breakfast, clean the kitchen, then more play time for Wy while I do laundry or clean. Wy takes usually 2 maybe 3 naps throughout the day, and we usually have some outside time after lunch. It's been rainy here so I haven't gotten to try out my new car/tractor seat, but will let you know how it goes over..

It is hard to get enough continuous time in the kitchen to make supper, so I generally do it in little bits throughout the day when I have a chance. We wait until everyone is home at night to eat, so we don't usually get to until 9:00, which is doing NOTHING GOOD for my weight!! In between the main cooking and supper I am trying to keep Wyatt entertained, bathed, and fed because I am usually home alone until about 8:30. Then suppers over, spend a little time with DH and off to bed before another glorious day.

I used to get annoyed when people saw me after I had the baby and they asked "When are you going back to work?" then looked at me like I had three heads when I told them I wasn't. I have gotten creative at coming up with ways to let them know that I never stopped working, I just changed jobs. Perhaps a lower-paying, less glamourous job, but BY FAR a more fun, exciting, fulfilling and rewarding one.

I am already trying to think of ways to keep Wyatt entertained next year while I am gardening and such. (He will be a year old in Feb.) Any ideas for fun in the garden with a wee toddler???

Toni
Go to Top of Page

MsCwick
True Blue Farmgirl

775 Posts

Cristine
Farmville Virginia
USA
775 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2007 :  09:23:32 AM  Show Profile
Alee, my day is a lot like yours minus the baby. But I have outside giant babies, my horses, and 4 kitties to take care of. Josh and I have had people stay with us, and have had drama around, and now that it's just the two of us, we've really talked about home being a sanctuary. It's supposed to be a safe and relaxing place. I keep the yard raked, and sticks picked up, keep the grass cut, except it didn't grow much this year. I make him breakfast in the morning, and sometimes make him lunch if he wants. Then I do any dishes, although i usually do them the night before I go to bed. Laundry, cleaning, and then I have the same little home projects. Nailing down the quarter round he cut for the LR and Kit, and sunroom, painting, oiling the floor, etc. I even made myself some more shelves for my laundry closet. I never know when he'll be home, so I have to call in advance to find out when to have dinner ready. And I try to remember to put him some clean clothes in the bathroom too...
I agree with you on working the 8 hour day, and I know you work harder than just a stay at home wife, due to the baby, but it's definitely a "job" to take care of home and child. Granted it's a job I wouldn't trade for anything. We're lucky...most people hate their jobs...
Cristine
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2007 :  11:33:26 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I was talking with my sister today. She is very busy as a controller of the hospital in my home town. She works a lot and has two kiddos to take care of plus trying to have a social life. We were talking about my stay-at-homeness and I talked about how it was making Doug and I's life so much better for me to be at home and taking care of things on this end. I asked her "Wouldn't you love to have a housewife?" and she thought for a second and said "Actually yes! Want to come and be mine?" LOL! I appreciate that not everyone wants to or can stay at home, but for our family it works wonderfully! It makes my day when Doug comes home and is happy about the way the house is. And because I am cooking all of our food, I know what is going into it. I am trying to pump Doug full of fruits and veggies because I worry about his health. And if I cook it and present it in a nice manner, I know he will eat it.

For instance last night I made a crispy fish dish with a side salad with fresh garden tomatos and cut up a large apple for us to share. He ate everything even though he doesn't much like fresh tomatoes because I prepared it for him!! yay! So much better than driving and getting fast food (yuck).

And I am so looking forward to baking all sorts of goodies- pies and Christmas cookies! Yay! :D

Alee
Go to Top of Page

MsCwick
True Blue Farmgirl

775 Posts

Cristine
Farmville Virginia
USA
775 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2007 :  3:01:05 PM  Show Profile
I am the same way about feeding josh. he likes junk so bad, and he even said the other day, that he has become a lot more aware of what he eats, and he probably wouldn't be so healthy if it weren't for me. What a compliment!!! His mom even called me up one day out of the blue and THANKED me for taking such good care of him!!! Since he and I have been married, his mother has completely changed her style of cooking, and gives me the credit...
Josh is picky about food too, but like Doug, he tries so hard to eat stuff that isn't his favorite. He has never eaten a sweet potato!!! But I got him HOOKED on baked acorn squash!
It really is nice to be able to take pride in a simpler life. It's healthy, and it keeps our men happy!
Cristine
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2007 :  9:37:06 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Well the dinner that I wasn't sure if Doug would like or not was a hit! Yay!

The recipe will follow but here are the changes I made:
I used green and red bell peppers
I used chicken instead of veggie stock
and I added chicken
I also added chicken stock powder to the rice as it cooked
I used brown rice
Also this recipe is only geared for one person, so you will have to multiply the measurements per person!

Cuban Rice and Beans* Ingredients:
1/2 small onion
1/2 clove garlic
1/4 cup vegetable broth
1/2 cup canned black beans, rinsed and drained
1/4 tsp. cumin
1/4 bell pepper, green
1 tbsp. fresh cilantro (coriander)
1/3 tbsp. olive oil

Directions:
Prepare rice according to recipe. Chop onion, pepper and cilantro; mince garlic, set aside. In a nonstick saucepan, heat oil on medium: cook onion, pepper and garlic until onion is translucent, about 5-6 minutes. Add beans to saucepan with cumin and broth. Cook until liquid is reduced by half, stirring occasionally, about 12-15 minutes; add chopped cilantro and cook 1-2 minutes more. Serve over rice.

Rice* Ingredients:
2 tbsp. uncooked rice

Directions:
Place rice in a small pot with tight-fitting lid and cover with about 2 times the amount of water (for example if you're cooking 4 tablespoons of rice, use 8 tablespoons of water...about 1/2 cup water). Bring to a boil over high heat; then cover tightly and reduce heat to medium: cook for about 15-20 minutes, or until water has been absorbed and rice is soft, but not sticky.

Alee
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2007 :  07:50:56 AM  Show Profile
I want so badly to be a SAHM but we don't have kids. So far I can't convince richie how wonderful it would be if I was a SAHW (Stay at home wife!)

Felt and Fabric Crafts
www.willowartist.etsy.com
www.willowtreecreek.com
BLOG
www.willowtreecreek.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page
  Cleaning Up: Previous Topic SAHM Work Day Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page