Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Cleaning Up
 What kind of clothesline do you have?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Cleaning Up: Previous Topic What kind of clothesline do you have? Next Topic  

jcbtxstars
True Blue Farmgirl

77 Posts

Julia C
Midland Texas
USA
77 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2007 :  07:31:27 AM  Show Profile
It's time to replace the little retractable one that I have used forever.

Miss Julia

mima
True Blue Farmgirl

1573 Posts

1573 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2007 :  07:51:49 AM  Show Profile
I have the old fashioned looking T bar. I got it at Home Depot!!!
Go to Top of Page

mkmomus
True Blue Farmgirl

248 Posts

Merle
Greensboro NC
248 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2007 :  07:59:26 AM  Show Profile
I have the umbrella kind and I wouldn't get that kind again. I can't even get my king size sheets on it and I don't think it would fit queen either. Also, when I have a few loads they don't dry well because they are too close together, you have to skip a line and then you loose line space. My mother has a back porch and when I was a child my father put up a telephone pole at the end of the yard. She has the pully kind that goes from the porch to the pole. That is what my sister has too and she loves it. That is what I will get next time. You just stand in one spot and push them out and pull them in. I asked my son (he is an evironmentalist) if it would hurt a tree to put a hook in it. He said as long as I left it in there and didn't leave an open wound it would be fine. I think I will be moving within a year though, so I don't think I will do that here but I will get that kind when I am settled. Good luck.
Merle
Go to Top of Page

Marybeth
True Blue Farmgirl

6418 Posts

Mary Beth
Stanwood Wa 98292
USA
6418 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2007 :  08:52:56 AM  Show Profile
I have a solar dryer. MB

www.strawberryhillsfarm.blogspot.com
www.day4plus.blogspot.com www.holyhouses-day4plus.blogspot.com
"Life may not be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well dance!"
Go to Top of Page

KarenP
True Blue Farmgirl

666 Posts

Karen
Chippewa Falls Wisconsin
USA
666 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2007 :  11:36:40 AM  Show Profile
Mine is great, it's a free standing clothesline, I can move where ever I want and into the wind when needed.
Sorry it's an old picture from last spring
My only complaint is that is not big enough, I should have got the 17' one instead of the 14' one.
I like to do all the laundry in one day (if possible)
KarenP

"Purest Spring Water in the World"
Go to Top of Page

jcbtxstars
True Blue Farmgirl

77 Posts

Julia C
Midland Texas
USA
77 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2007 :  11:52:22 AM  Show Profile
Karen,
Where did you get yours...does it have a special name?
Miss Julia
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2007 :  12:57:18 PM  Show Profile
Mine is steel pipe ...big old posts with the t shape at the top of each..at least 20 ft long and 6 lines...big enough to hold all I can wash in a day..came with the house and I love it!!

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4179 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4179 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2007 :  3:41:15 PM  Show Profile
Mine is like Jenny's, steel tube, with 4 lines, at least 15 feet long. I also have, lets call it a steet I beam, welded and running between the 2 pipes, underground. So the poles can not start to fold together. My husband used to work at a steel fabricators. He makes everything extra heavy duty. MIchele
Go to Top of Page

Huckelberrywine
True Blue Farmgirl

1607 Posts

Michelle
Rosalia
1607 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2007 :  4:59:49 PM  Show Profile
The kind of clothesline I have...busy! We bought the umbrella type last month. Had to put shims in to keep it from wobbling in the tube we set in the ground, but I do enjoy it. Love my cute farmgirl decorated clothespins too. It's been so hot and dry lately, by the time the second load is washed, the first is dry. I'm hoping that by folding it up when I'm not using it it will behave for me. If not, well, it was $25 on sale and I'm sure I've saved that in electricity and gained that in excersize and smiles already.

Whichever one you get, hope you enjoy yours too! :)

We make a difference.
Go to Top of Page

nut4fabric
True Blue Farmgirl

885 Posts

Kathy
Morgan Hill CA
USA
885 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2007 :  6:16:07 PM  Show Profile
I am on my second umbrella type. I have to double up the sheets but than they are half folded when dry so what the heck. Wore my first one out it lasted 7 years so I don't think that's too bad.
Hugs, Kathy
Go to Top of Page

Annie S
True Blue Farmgirl

756 Posts

Annie
Custer S.D.
USA
756 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2007 :  6:26:25 PM  Show Profile
Karen, how does your clothes line stay up if it's free standing? DH has said he would build me one, but so far there's nothing in the back yard yet.

How far are you from Park Rapids? Have friends that live up there and then come out here for a month during the summer. My daughter use to live in Stevens Point where her DH taught at the college there. We use to live in Minneapolis and would drive over to WI quite a bit.

Anyway, thanks for the info on the clothes line.

Peace and love,
Annie
Go to Top of Page

JessieMae
True Blue Farmgirl

702 Posts

Jessie
Raleigh North Carolina
USA
702 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2007 :  12:01:12 PM  Show Profile
I have a line that runs from the outside wall of my garage to a tree in the yard. If I had to guess, I'd say it's maybe 10 yards long. It's got a snap shackle on it that snaps to a hook driven in the tree truck, so I can easily unhook it from the tree if I have to. It doesn't work as well as I thought it would...the weight of the sheets pulls the line real low, and then they drag on the ground.
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2007 :  1:28:25 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Annie-

The free standing ones that I have sort of look like a picnic table umbrella without the fabric on them. Some of them have a stand or are set in concrete.

Alee
The amazing one handed typist! One hand for typing, one hand to hold Nora!
http://home.test-afl.tulix.com/aleeandnora/
Go to Top of Page

mkmomus
True Blue Farmgirl

248 Posts

Merle
Greensboro NC
248 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2007 :  1:49:49 PM  Show Profile
Kathy,
You fold your sheets in half and they dry? When you do that, is there anything else on the line or are they there alone? I am a dope-I never thought of that.
Thanks
Merle
Go to Top of Page

KarenP
True Blue Farmgirl

666 Posts

Karen
Chippewa Falls Wisconsin
USA
666 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2007 :  10:17:51 AM  Show Profile
Here's a better picture of my clothesline.
There is a gentleman about 30 miles from me who makes them.

Notice the dead grass, we are having a drought, only a few weeds are still green!
I would buy another, I think I paid $250 for it 15 years ago and I think it was money well spent. The worst thing was having it delivered, I had to wait 2 weeks before he came my way to deliver. It was forever as I wanted to hang out clothes soooooo bad.
I think any metal shop should be able to make one.
If you want one, maybe check around in your area and ask.
I sure won't part with mine, unless it's for a bigger one!
This one is 14' long, he makes them up to 17' I think.
KarenP

"Purest Spring Water in the World"
Go to Top of Page

MsCwick
True Blue Farmgirl

775 Posts

Cristine
Farmville Virginia
USA
775 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2007 :  12:29:29 PM  Show Profile

My DH and I built mine, and it cost about $25 dollars in wood, 5 bucks for carriage bolts, 3 dollars for concrete, and a few dollars for the clothes line wire(which I always have to tighten as it stretches)
Go to Top of Page

Canadian farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

482 Posts

Lori
Ontario
Canada
482 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2007 :  11:34:11 AM  Show Profile

I used to live in the city in a subdivision that had a bylaw against long clotheslines, you could only have the umbrella folding type. Ten years ago, we moved to the country, and the first thing my hubby did for me was put up a clothesline (the long type with pulleys). He put in a 16' post at one end of the yard, and the other post is on my cement steps, so it's already up high, I don't have to raise and lower it. I can fit three large loads of wash on it at one time. Everyone that comes to visit admires it! I just wish I had it when my kids were babies...

I have recently been on a quest to find good wooden clothespins. So many have such a weak spring, the wind gets up and it tears the wash off the line! Finaly found some heavy duty spring ones this week at Home Hardware.

Yes the towels are a little rough, I just tell people they're exfoliating towels!
Go to Top of Page

Marybeth
True Blue Farmgirl

6418 Posts

Mary Beth
Stanwood Wa 98292
USA
6418 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2007 :  1:27:32 PM  Show Profile
I love towels dried outside. Yeah Lori, tell them it is got for the complexion. MB

www.strawberryhillsfarm.blogspot.com
www.day4plus.blogspot.com www.holyhouses-day4plus.blogspot.com
"Life may not be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well dance!"
Go to Top of Page

Tammy Claxton
True Blue Farmgirl

1559 Posts

Tammy
Glen Burnie Maryland
USA
1559 Posts

Posted - Sep 30 2007 :  2:25:34 PM  Show Profile  Send Tammy Claxton an AOL message
I finally got my clothesline today!!! I think all the bugging my hubby paid off! I just hung my first 2 loads out! Geez...I'm actually excited about a clothesline! ROFL!!

What doesn't kill you only makes you stronger!

http://countryintheburbs.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page
  Cleaning Up: Previous Topic What kind of clothesline do you have? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page