Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Holidays
 Any of YOU girls like to dress up for Halloween?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Holidays: Previous Topic Any of YOU girls like to dress up for Halloween? Next Topic
Page: of 2

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2007 :  06:02:10 AM  Show Profile
We have friends that throw a great autumn shindig, right around Halloween, and costumes are encouraged. Last year, I went as the tree of life (vintage brown opaque slip that I sewed vines, and leaves all the way around, a crown of leaves and berries and grape vines, a (rubber) snake coiled around my neck, an off-white "Miss America" styled sash that read "Sinner" written in copper fabric paint pin with the S curved and coiled like a snake, and a red apple with a bite taken out in my hand. I won the little contest they have, and I made it up the morning of.
The year before, I was the "Devil in a Blue Dress" and made a dress out of this great blue pleather material I found at Joann's, with fishnets and heels, and pointy blue devil horns, along with some sparkly eye makeup.

I've never been able to find a "storebought" costume that I like--they're usually cheesy, and really, ahem...tacky. I like a little "varooom" in a costume (usually in the intellectual way, you have to think about it--like the "sinner" sash) but I don't want to look like I walked out of some "gentleman's magazine".

So, now, I don't have any ideas.

What are/were some of your favorites? What have you gone as?

I really loved my Tree of Life costume, and if I wasn't going to the same party, I'd wear it again!!!

"She was built like a watch, a study in balance ... with a neck and head so refined, like a drawing by DaVinci"...
NY Newsday sportswriter Bill Nack describing filly, Ruffian.

Edited by - KYgurlsrbest on Sep 25 2007 06:06:04 AM

MustangSuzie
True Blue Farmgirl

634 Posts

Sarah
New London Missouri
USA
634 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2007 :  06:46:00 AM  Show Profile  Send MustangSuzie a Yahoo! Message
I just got an awesome renaissance gown and cloak pattern on ebay. Hopefully I'll have time to actually make it!

[size=1]Blessings....
Sarah

Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2007 :  08:27:35 AM  Show Profile
I always dress up..since I am always a room mom at school..my kids love it. Last year I was an indian maiden (ha!) and that was an easy one..I had all the stuff on hand and I have very long dark hair. I have learned to make sure I go for comfort..havn't decided yet what to be this year. I need to get the kids decided too..only one has made a final decision..youngest daughter will be a bumblebee.

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2007 :  09:02:49 AM  Show Profile
I can do an Indian, Jenny! I, too, have long dark hair, and always braid it.

I forgot--3 years ago, I was a "minuteman" and wore a pair of red topped black leather riding boots, a pair of black pants tucked in, and this AWESOME marching band jacket from the 70's that had a vest and everything. It was VERY Colonial Williamsburg (or Sargent Pepper???). Had my hair in a pony tail with a black ribbon. I liked that one, too.

I like to work with stuff I have on hand, too, Jenny. I bet the kids love to see you dressed up!!!

"She was built like a watch, a study in balance ... with a neck and head so refined, like a drawing by DaVinci"...
Go to Top of Page

Meg
Moderator/Farmgirl True

974 Posts

Meg
Idaho
USA
974 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2007 :  09:34:57 AM  Show Profile
Oh, I LOVE to dress up for Halloween. I have these ridiculous go-go boots (that I couldn't, of course, wear for ANY other reason than Halloween), so I love to plan all my Halloween customes around them. My favorite was a devil...but really it's all about the silly shoes...However, this year I don't have an occasion for my boots, but I get to dress Stella up as a cow...funny how that changes.

MaryJane's daughter,

Meg
megan@maryjanesfarm.org
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2007 :  10:31:00 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I adore dressing up, but haven't thought of anything i can pull off. I am probably going to do something last minute. I am going to dress Nora up, but not sure where to go once we dress up!! lol

Alee
The amazing one handed typist! One hand for typing, one hand to hold Nora!
http://home.test-afl.tulix.com/aleeandnora/
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2007 :  10:35:02 AM  Show Profile
I would love to but we never do anything for halloween. Oh well.

Felt and Fabric Crafts
www.willowartist.etsy.com
www.willowtreecreek.com
BLOG
www.willowtreecreek.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2007 :  12:12:44 PM  Show Profile
I think if we didn't have this party to go to every year, that I'd probably still dress up on the actual day for the trick or treaters. I don't really "go out" too much on Halloween, because in our area, it's much like St. Patricks Day--amateur night, and somewhat raucous.

I sure do wish I had a little one to dress up like you, Meg and Alee--I guess I'll just adore the little ones that come to our front door. Last year, this darling little girl said, "Tricka Tricka" instead of trick or treat. SOOOO CUTE!!!!

Meg, wear the boots--you can even wear them to vacuum, I hear!

Go to Top of Page

GaiasRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2552 Posts

Tasha-Rose
St. Paul Minnesota
2552 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2007 :  12:28:14 PM  Show Profile
I LOVE dressing up for Samhain! I always do. Even when I was preggo with Zoe. I was a big pregnant faerie. Last year I was a witch-you know-the typical stereotype witch. It was fun. this year I am unsure right now what I will be. Rob is going to be a Zombie, Zoe is going to be a pirate, Grace is going to be a butterfly and I am going to be Galadriel.

~*~Brightest Blessings~*~
Tasha-Rose

Blogs: http://gaiarose.wordpress.com
http://womonandsprout.wordpress.com
Homepage:
http://ForestFaeries.etsy.com
Birth is safe, interference is risky; TRUST BIRTH
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2007 :  12:36:58 PM  Show Profile
Ha! "Rob Zombie", Tasha!!!
I don't listen to his music, but I do know he exists...thought that was kindof funny!

Sounds like you and your girls are going to be sooo lovely! Take pictures, please!

Go to Top of Page

GaiasRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2552 Posts

Tasha-Rose
St. Paul Minnesota
2552 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2007 :  1:03:19 PM  Show Profile
mama's with babies, I always thought it would be fun to be a mama butterfly and have the babe dressed as a caterpillar. I never had a baby during Hallowe'en though...well, Grace was almost 6 months old her first Hallowe'en, but she was a lady bug (oh so friggen cute too!) and that was the only year I didn't dress up. Zoe was born just weeks after Hallowe'en and last year she was my black cat. What Witch doesn't have a black cat!? it was rather cute. Rob was Zorro and Grace was Cinderella. We completely enjoy Hallowe'en.

~*~Brightest Blessings~*~
Tasha-Rose

Blogs: http://gaiarose.wordpress.com
http://womonandsprout.wordpress.com
Homepage:
http://ForestFaeries.etsy.com
Birth is safe, interference is risky; TRUST BIRTH
Go to Top of Page

Sitnalta
True Blue Farmgirl

4208 Posts

Jessica
NJ
USA
4208 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2007 :  2:13:27 PM  Show Profile
Dressing up...hmm....I did dress up last year, but this year I just don't know. Last year, I was working full time and it was my dd's 1st halloween. At that time she had a nursery/ office at work so we dressed up. I was expecting my son 8 months expecting my son so...I had to get creative. I had maternity overalls, a big straw hat, plastic lizards, bugs, and colored fish from my daughter mobile strung in my hat. I braided my hair into two long braied and worn a well-worn flannel shirt. i rolled up my pant legs and drew freckles(as if I don't have enough.:) Colored in my one front tooth and had a slingshot and fishing pole hanging out my other back pocket. A plastic frog in my front bib pocket and used eye shadow and face powder to "dirty up" my feet and ankles. This is how I went to work that day...too fun!!!lol.I was the first expecting bumpkin or as my DH calls it his Little Miss Sawyer. I can't wait to figure out what this year as it is my DS first halloween.
hugs jessie

Blessed assurance, Jesus is mine; O What a foretaste of Glory DIVINE!
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2007 :  6:12:50 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
That is so clever Jessie!

Alee
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2007 :  11:21:05 PM  Show Profile
ONe year I was a hillbilly...that was a comfortable costume and not much different than I wear to do chores anyhow..haha. I did freckles and a blacked out front tooth too..but what was fun was that I put my hair in braids and did a wire that went over my head and out inside the braids (braided my hair over it) and bent the braids up..very pippi longstocking style. ONe little girl asked how I got my hair to do that and I told her that I just woke up that morning and it was a bad hair day...she said "REALLY??" it was so cute.
The year I was the wicked witch of the west from The wizard of Oz (with the green face makeup and all) was fun.. Erin was dorothy that year and I brought a cauldron with dry ice in the punch for the class party...that is always a hit.

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2007 :  06:38:14 AM  Show Profile
EVERYDAY is HALLOWEEN in my closet! xo

True Friends, Frannie

FREEDOM VALLEY FARM
KENTUCKY

http://freedomvalleyfarm.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

Meg
Moderator/Farmgirl True

974 Posts

Meg
Idaho
USA
974 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2007 :  10:52:01 AM  Show Profile
Oh, how fun! So, I got crafty (the kind were you find yourself chuckling to yourself) and bought fleece with cow print and made Stella and I matching winter hats and scarves because it's cold here by Halloween. We look SO silly, it's great. Then I got to chuckling thinking I might sew myself a custome to match hers except mine would have big udders on it!

Tasha~the catepillar and butterfly idea is really cute.
Alee~if Nora need a silly fleece hat to go with her custome, I'll make one!
Jonni~I think you've inspired me, and I may just dust 'em off and vacuum (I can think of one person that might just love that ).

MaryJane's daughter,

Meg
megan@maryjanesfarm.org
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2007 :  11:53:05 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Meg-

Oh you crack me up! I will let you know if we need a hat! Thanks!!

Alee
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2007 :  12:20:25 PM  Show Profile
VA-ROOOM VA-VOOOOOM, Meg!

Sounds like you've got such a cute thing going for you and your little one, too.

I LOVE Halloween!

Go to Top of Page

CorgiPants
True Blue Farmgirl

59 Posts

Jenna
Champaign IL
USA
59 Posts

Posted - Oct 05 2007 :  1:38:06 PM  Show Profile
I always dress up because the place I work at has trick-or-treating for everyone's kids (they go around to everyone's offices) and we decorate the library really big and have a party afterwards! I'm in charge of decorating! And last year I made a jell-o brain for the party. One year I was Little Red Riding Hood, one year I was Velma from Scooby Doo (I've kind of got her hair), last year I was a princess (complete with stuffed corgi), and this year I'm going to be a gnome wife with long skirt, apron and pointy hat!

Get the latest information about swaps at: Swapdex.blogspot.com
And visit me and my family (including a corgi) at: corgipants.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Oct 05 2007 :  2:29:13 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
What a great idea!!

Alee
Go to Top of Page

Woodswoman
True Blue Farmgirl

512 Posts

Jennifer
Altamont NY
USA
512 Posts

Posted - Oct 05 2007 :  6:45:24 PM  Show Profile
I am a middle-school science teacher, so I have a series of costumes that I rotate over years so the kids don't know they are repeats anyway!

I have the classic "witch" costume. Just a black skirt and top, a big hat that I hung some small rubber spiders from, and a rubber snake around my shoulders. It cracks the kids up when I tell them it is the one day of the year they can call me a witch and get away with it!

I help run a butterfly house and garden at our school, so of course I have a butterfly costume. This is simple-black pants and top, those wings that just slip on over your back, and headband antennae.

And-one of my favorites-a scarecrow. Take old ripped jeans and an old, ripped flannel shirt. Sew in raffia sticking out of the rips and cuffs. You can also add a few patches, and I tie brown cord around the ankles and wrists to make it look like its holding everything in. I also made a felt black hat with patches it in with more raffia sticking out.

I think this year is my butterfly turn!
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Oct 05 2007 :  7:45:03 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
That sounds like lots of fun, Jennifer! Have fun being a butterfly! What type of butterfly is your costume?

Alee
Go to Top of Page

Utahfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1940 Posts

Portland Oregon
USA
1940 Posts

Posted - Oct 06 2007 :  2:16:40 PM  Show Profile
I always dress us in a nun's costume. I'm Sister Mary Cherry Garcia of the Sisters of Sts. Ben and Jerry. I usually carry a donation jar.

Farmgirl hug,
Patricia

check out my etsy site http://ThePlayfulFarmgirl.etsy.com

Take me home, country roads
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Oct 06 2007 :  2:58:44 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
ROFL Patricia!

One year, when I working as a supervisor at a local call station, I dressed up as death. I had a long black robe and a special black hood that let me see out, but only gave an empty black face back. All the employees said it creeped them out. Probably one of my more successful costumes I guess since it got such a good reaction. LOL

Alee
Go to Top of Page

Woodswoman
True Blue Farmgirl

512 Posts

Jennifer
Altamont NY
USA
512 Posts

Posted - Oct 07 2007 :  08:29:35 AM  Show Profile
The butterfly costume is a monarch. For an added touch, I sometimes carry a suitcase because they are MIGRATORY! I swear, the kids must think I'm so corny, but its fun!!
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Oct 07 2007 :  08:47:20 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
LOL! That is great! :D

Alee
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Holidays: Previous Topic Any of YOU girls like to dress up for Halloween? Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page