jenny louise
True Blue Farmgirl

166 Posts

jennifer
cass city MI
USA
166 Posts

Posted - Jan 07 2006 :  3:15:39 PM  Show Profile
Maj, I was so interested in what you had to say, and I agree with so much. I have had several cats here on the farm, and I have found too many bird bodies in the past. We did get two jack russels and they are murderous fiends when it comes to mice and rats. They only go out when we are home and then we keep an eye on them. I have a friend that has had cats as well, but she also has a preserve and after finding the remains of ground birds and a rare squirrel, the cats had to go. I would love to keep some here inside with us, but they haven't adapted well to the jack russels.
I love critters, and i want to see as many as possible live good healthy lives, and that means responsible owners, it is so sad that there are so very many feral cats and homeless dogs out there. I guess we all can make a difference in our own back yards.
Noone will agree on every point and the beauty of that is that we are all different and still able to come together on so many issues! Light, and love, jenny
Go to Top of Page

Maj
Farmgirl in Training

11 Posts

M
chicago
11 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2006 :  06:09:22 AM  Show Profile
Thank you Jenny, for your kind words, and for letting me know about your neighbor, who stood up for the birds (and rare squirrel). The more I hear about Jacks, the more I'm impressed - they seem very true to the job for which they were bred. I wonder if Airedales and other terriers like Scotties do too? I know about EarthDog trials...
...I still haven't heard from anyone who shot someone else's marauding animal, as to how they patched thing up afterward. Did the neighbor change his/her ways, or become worse? Did the situation deteriorate, did law enforcement have to step in?
...I know some semi-progressive cities encourage high-rise dwellers to voluntarily turn lights off or draw the drapes, during migratory seasons, and get good compliance.
...I just read about a veery (native to N. America) found in September in the Shetland Islands (rarely seen there). Birders trapped and tagged it... and a couple hours later, a cat ate it.

"As go the animals, so goes man." - Chief Seathl
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Suggestions: Previous Topic Please - Keep Cats Inside Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page