Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Support
 Suggestions
 Question & Possible suggestion -- maybe silly
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Suggestions: Previous Topic Question & Possible suggestion -- maybe silly Next Topic  

happymama58
True Blue Farmgirl

1210 Posts

Patti
Missouri
USA
1210 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2006 :  06:54:43 AM  Show Profile
I've been reading messages on all the different boards and maybe I've just missed it, but is there a more general board for just chatting? As far as I can tell, each of the boards is about a specific thing. Even the "Across the Fence", which seems the most general, is about how we get together with our neighbors and such.

If there isn't a board for just general chit chat, perhaps one could be started. Maybe a title like "A Cup of Coffee and Friends" or something reminiscent of ladies talking about the general stuff of life.

I apologize if there is a general board and I've missed it.

Some people search for happiness; others create it.

DaisyFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

1646 Posts

Diane
Victoria BC
Canada
1646 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2006 :  10:03:52 AM  Show Profile
Just start a new topic Patti, maybe call it "gabbin" or something. Then just gab away. You'll get lots of follow-up replies, I am sure.
Go to Top of Page

FarrarFarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

330 Posts

Lynda
Frohna Missouri
USA
330 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2006 :  10:32:21 AM  Show Profile
Hey, Patti,

I know I'll talk with you; you might be sorry though. I can be a long-winded chatter box; just look around at a few of my posts, or you can even ask my son, he'll tell you without a blink of an eye. Be that as it may, a Cup of coffee and a little bit of time to chit-chat would be perfect, the only thing missing would be a smiling face and a cookie or two, but that will happen in time, too.

So what's on your mind, what tickles your fancy today?

Right now my mind is filled with planning a birthday brunch for our twin grandsons who will be two on Monday. But Monday is not a good day for everyone to get together and Sunday afternoon they are spoken for on the other side of the family, so brunch it is.

I have on my menu, biscuits and gravy (which I love to make-my favorite), breakfast pizza, pancakes, sausage & bacon, fresh fruit, cupcakes for the boys, juice, milk and coffee. I'll do as much of the cooking on Saturday as I can and decorate. I'll go to church on Saturday night and then the only thing that really needs to be done Sunday morning will be the bacon and sausage, gravy and pizza. I hope it all goes together as smoothly that morning as it is in my head and on my paper.

Of course, every night after work I'll be cleaning and making room for everyone, but that's okay. That's why you have company over so your house gets cleaned really good every so often, right?

And I'm getting spring fever really bad with this weather being so spring like. I want so badly to get the garden turned over. I was down at the farm this weekend and saw that someone had run the plow through their garden already. The ground wasn't really worked up yet, just plowed, but it still looked good.

I know I read earlier that you aren't sure what to do about gardening yet this year, Patti. I will be praying with you for a solution to make itself known to you one way or the other. It's very uncomfortable to be stuck in the middle not knowing which way to turn, but I think you made the right turn - to prayer and asking God's guidance for your situation. Trust in Him and He won't lead down the wrong path. He is faithful and very provisional, so keep the faith and you will see His loving hand guiding with you through this whole decision making process. Don't mean to be preachy and I hope you didn't take it that way. As sisters in Christ, it is easy to be moved to offer encouragement when it's such an important part of our lives and deep within our hearts.

Well, it's almost time for lunch and I'm meeting a friend today. We're having BBQ, I love, love BBQ - that's very springlike. So I look forward to cyber-chats as we have time and getting to know you. This is just so very cool - I'm still very excited to have met you online and forward to the chance when we can get together for a real visit. Blessings to you this day and always.

In His hands,
Lynda

Pray in faith and you will not live in doubt.
Go to Top of Page

sqrl
True Blue Farmgirl

605 Posts

Melissa
Northern California
USA
605 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2006 :  11:10:10 AM  Show Profile
I think it's a good idea Patti. Although across the fence is kind of the place to chat. So may be just starting a topic under across the fence called a cup of coffee with friends might just work.

Blessed Be
www.sqrlbee.com www.sisterhood.sqrlbee.com

Go to Top of Page

happymama58
True Blue Farmgirl

1210 Posts

Patti
Missouri
USA
1210 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2006 :  11:12:27 AM  Show Profile
Lynda,
Your brunch sounds wonderful! I agree with you about the Spring fever feeling. It's sunny and warm here today, and I'm feeling antsy to get outside. I'm home today because my daughter was sick last night; she went to school at lunch, though, so here I am with papers to grade and the computer tempting me. I grade 10 or 15 essays, come here for a few minutes, grade another 10 or so, etc. It's slow going but lots more fun that way!

You said you work outside the home -- if you don't mind my asking, what do you do? Is your job what's keeping you from moving to the farm for a few more years? I know some people from the Farrar area, so next time I email you, I'll try to remember to tell you who they are; maybe you know them.

Don't ever worry about "preaching"; anyway, that's not what you were doing. You were encouraging and reminding me Who's in charge. I appreciate your caring enough to write what you did. So often in today's climate we hesitate to mention anything religious for fear of offending, so you took a risk to a certain degree. I'm a Christian, and I definitely believe that God is in control and all will work out to His good, but sometimes I get discouraged. It's great to have someone help nudge you back on track!

Well, it's about time to get to that next group of 10 essays. I'll check back in later.

Go to Top of Page

FarrarFarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

330 Posts

Lynda
Frohna Missouri
USA
330 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2006 :  9:13:37 PM  Show Profile
Hi, Patti,

How did the grading go? I would think essays could be interestingly "fun" (?) I guess it would depend on the subject, too. I've never had to grade papers except my own in school, so to me it sounds interesting. I hear our boys talk about it all the time. I know it does take up a lot of time for teachers. Our oldest son is an art teacher, too at Lutheran High North. It's located on I-70 and Lucas and Hunt, not too far from the airport. He's in his 3rd year of teaching and really enjoys it. He's the one with the twins and one on the way in about a month.

As for my job I work at the LCMS headquarters in Kirkwood as an administrative assistant. I work in our benefits department and make arrangements for presentations at the Concordia colleges and the seminaries. Our building sets just off of I-44 right before the I-270 intersection. I've been there for 10 years. Actually it's not so much my job as it is having had 4 kids in college in rapid succession. We've got to get a few of those loans paid off so we can take out another one for the farm. Actually there are two houses for sale in Farrar, if you can believe that. It's so unusual for one to be available, much less two. So it is tempting to look into moving into a house in "town." (haha) If you've been there you know why I laugh. I love it, really, I do, but it's a one-hill town with 14 houses on the hill, a store, a garage, the church and school. Anyway, we are questioning whether to consider that as an option so we can be close enough to the farm to work on building permanent residence or what. So those have been my prayers here lately. We don't personally own the farm yet, it's still in his mom's name, but she knows we would like to buy it.

When I was in my later years of grade school and all through high school my family lived in Frohna. My husband's family is all from Farrar. And for a short time we lived on a small corner of the farm, so I take that back, we do own .9 acres of the farm. That's a start, right?!
We met in high school, both of us graduated from PHS.

I like what the other ladies suggested for you to do, it sounds like a very fun idea to plot out your garden so that when you know which direction you are headed you are ready with shovel in one hand and seeds in the other. Your place will be beautifully delicious!

Well, I have to get two more shows sent in to home office before midnight tonight so I qualify for an incentive and then to bed, 4am will be here before I'm ready. I'm also a Pampered Chef consultant. Doyle came home tonight and he starts day shift tomorrow, so that means getting up at 4am so he can get there by 6:30am. Then he won't be home until Saturday evening, this week's not so bad. I hated to read that your husband is out of town yet until mid-Feb. I will whine no more about weekly visits. You said he works on computers? Does he have to travel alot for his job? Now I know I will definitely have to visit you, just so you have someone else to talk to beside your children. Although as teenagers they can be pretty interesting and engage in lively conversations, at times.

Actually, I plan to be down the weekend of the 17th & 18th. But that might be the weekend your hubby comes home, too. That will be your special family time, so we won't plan anything then. I know I have another show or two coming up in February down there, just haven't set the dates yet, I'll let you know and we'll just play it by ear. I do have it on my calendar to be down there once a month, so we'll keep trying.

Well, it is good talking with you again. I hope you were able to enjoy your PJ time. Next chat you'll have to tell me about your garden plans and what you like to sew. Have a great day of blessings. Keep the faith.

In His hands,
Lynda

Pray in faith and you will not live in doubt.
Go to Top of Page

happymama58
True Blue Farmgirl

1210 Posts

Patti
Missouri
USA
1210 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2006 :  4:21:18 PM  Show Profile
Lynda, I'll be at a Write to Learn conference at Tan-Tar-A that weekend; leaving on Thursday morning and back Saturday around noon. Darn! Let's try to get together the next time, if you can. DH works for P & G, and they've sent him to other plants a few times, but this trip is something a bit different. He's actually taking vacation time to go to a school so he can get a certification that will allow him to do a part-time job on the side (his days off) on his own.

It hasn't been bad at all. He used to be gone so much when he was in the Air Force and with his last job, that it's not a problem. I'm one of those people who likes alone time. My daughter and I have spent this time trying to make some eating changes. The day he left we cleaned out the pantry and refrigerator/freezer, throwing away lots of junk. We've been eating lots of organic veggies and fruits and having smaller portions of turkey and boneless/skinless chicken breast, and other stuff like that. Dh is a farm boy who loves meat and potatoes, fried stuff, etc., so when he gets home we're planning to try to wean him to our new way of eating.

I had a great time dreaming and planning for my garden. My list is pretty long, but I have it separated into "must have", "would really like to have", and "nice, but not necessary". I sat in bed with some graph paper, all my catalogues, and a mug of hot cider, and it was a very peaceful, relaxing time.

By the way, I was raised Lutheran and attended Trinity Lutheran Church and school (k-8) before moving on to CHS. I'm not a Lutheran anymore (long story), but that's where my roots are. Also, my mom is from Perryville and graduated from PHS back in 1954.

Do you know Jerry Brueckner or Sharon (don't know her maiden name), or Roger Hudson or Bettye (Elizabeth and don't know her maiden name, either)? Both couples have a son and the 2 boys are my son's 2 best friends! You might be in their age group.

Well, I need to go; I have small group tonight and want to spend some time with my daughter before I go. Oh, I almost forgot! I talked to your son today and told him I'd "met" you online. He's a very nice young man, and I'm sure you're proud of him.

Patti

Go to Top of Page
  Suggestions: Previous Topic Question & Possible suggestion -- maybe silly Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page