Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Farmgirl Chapters
 Farmgirl Chapter Chatter
 "Bees Without Borders" Farmgirl Chapter....
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Farmgirl Chapter Chatter: Previous Topic "Bees Without Borders" Farmgirl Chapter.... Next Topic
Page: of 19

Leezard
True Blue Farmgirl

950 Posts

Elizabeth
Novi MI
USA
950 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2007 :  08:24:48 AM  Show Profile
Interesting conversation...I can see both sides and can understand how this whole process feels overwhelming and out of control for some. I'm looking forward to this chapter because I don't have one where I'm at, I'm not in an area with many farmgirls so the chance to be a part of an actual chapter, and this one being centered around something I'm into, is fun for me. I would imagine that once things get figured out more then information will be more central and easier to find. This putting together stage is a little crazy but I keep looking forward to what it'll be when things are settled down and I'm quite excited! Thanks to everyone who's been helping to put this chapter together :)

http://ruby--slippers.blogspot.com/
www.leezard.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Bee Haven Maven
True Blue Farmgirl

1862 Posts

Beverly
Pennsylvania
USA
1862 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2007 :  08:44:17 AM  Show Profile  Send Bee Haven Maven an AOL message
Hello all....today has been a trying day....I never would have anticipated this, but......starting something new can be trying. I would ask each and everyone of you to hang in there with me. Let me try to work out the bugs as we go....this is all new to us all. Mary Jane has wonderful ideas and we need to hang tight until we have our own space within the farm.

The main purpose of this group is to provide a group for those of us who do not have local chapters. That does not mean that if you DO have a local chapter you cannot join....not the case. This is an alternative. Many of us do not have time for local chapters. As Mary Jane stated...there will be more of these cyber chapters growing in the near future. This particular chapter grew from a love of sewing......that is why we are trying to incorporate sewing ideas into our name and logo.

Well...now I am beginning to be long-winded also. If this chapter idea sounds like fun to you....please stay. If you have decided that it is not your cup of tea....we understand. I am sure that no one would leave this group based on another person joining it.

I will only add or delete you as a member based on an e-mail sent directly to me.

Hang tight till we work out the bugs.....I continue to believe it will be fun and a way to reach beyond ourselves.

Visit our farm at: www.beehavenacres.blogspot.com
Aprons and other fun things for sale at: www.honeybeez.etsy.com

Edited by - Bee Haven Maven on Sep 26 2007 08:46:28 AM
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2007 :  09:02:36 AM  Show Profile
Hey y'all--mostly I was just joking--it seemed that after I had posted about wanting to join that's when all of the other posts and discussion started. Irony? Possibly, but I was trying to be light hearted. And, honestly, I have two sewing machines (one brand new, one an antique) that I've never used. I just sew by hand and do projects that I no I can tackle, so I wouldn't ever want to hold anyone in the group up, though I do wish that there were more farmgirls in our area to get together with. I am pretty creative, but I also have my limitations!!!

It's such a truly nice idea, and I really hope that you all will give it a chance. I may still, but I really just don't want to be the "pooper" as my gran would say

"She was built like a watch, a study in balance ... with a neck and head so refined, like a drawing by DaVinci"...
NY Newsday sportswriter Bill Nack describing filly, Ruffian.
Go to Top of Page

smoothiejuice
True Blue Farmgirl

6309 Posts

Jessica
Bloomington Indiana
USA
6309 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2007 :  09:07:30 AM  Show Profile
I just wanted to add this to everyone who does not have farmgirls in their area...I have a chapter of girls here in Bloomington, we just were a group of friends, and each girl brought another friend...only one or two of them have ever even been on this forum..and they almost never post a word. We are responsible for networking and growing the number of farmgirls in our own area. If you dont have a chapter, find some people who would like to be in one wih you. It is really fun!
Go to Top of Page

PlumCreekMama
True Blue Farmgirl

730 Posts

Heather
Iowa
USA
730 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2007 :  10:12:54 AM  Show Profile
Jessica, I understand where you are coming from, I probably could find enough girls around here to start a chapter, but not only do I not have time to start a chapter, I probably wouldn't have time to get together with them anyway. I thought that was part of the point to this chapter. To be able to give as much time as you want to the chapter, whenever you have the time. As a sahm for 2 small children plus 11 dogs, 9 puppies, 25 cats, 11 goats, 4 horses, 9 ducks, and 60 chickens, I don't get out much! Nor do I want to. I am completely comfortable at home, with my family, sewing and sharing on the internet, so I believe this chapter is exactly what I need and want. Beth, I love the name Bee Sisters Without Borders. It really struck me right away, when none of the other names really did.
Go to Top of Page

BlueApple
True Blue Farmgirl

430 Posts

Julia
Oregon
USA
430 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2007 :  10:26:50 AM  Show Profile  Send BlueApple an AOL message
Thanks, Bev...as one of the "newbies" to your group I certainly understand the concern over growing pains. I look forward to getting to know everyone better, sharing ideas and making friends with others who enjoy the same kinds of projects I do! Anything I can do to help...just let me know. I have a couple of hours of computer time each day and would be happy to help!
Julia

Julia
BlueApple Farm
http://www.homesteadblogger.com/BlueAppleFarm/
Go to Top of Page

smoothiejuice
True Blue Farmgirl

6309 Posts

Jessica
Bloomington Indiana
USA
6309 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2007 :  10:55:50 AM  Show Profile
Yes Heather I certainly do understand the convenience of an internet chapter, I too have an extraordinary amount of animal chores and more than a half dozen kiddis running about and I certainly understand where you are coming from...that is what is great about MJF. My suggestion was not directed at you or to you, just to everyone in general. All I am saying is that if we have no farmgirls around us, we can spread the idea that MJ is trying promote. That is all I am suggesting here...please do not try to take offense to my suggestion, evryone can find their niche here..that is what is great about this movement.
Go to Top of Page

celebrate2727
True Blue Farmgirl

989 Posts

Beth
MJF Farmgirl
989 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2007 :  11:14:22 AM  Show Profile  Send celebrate2727 a Yahoo! Message
How wonderful that there will be a site for our chapters to share our farmgirl wares, connections, activites and award badges. Just when you think it can’t get any better! What better way to keep us all connected than to have our Farmgirl chalkboard as well. There are so many great chapter ideas that can soon be easily shared with all of us.
I am very happy to be able to step up and help the farm crew. My main priority is to get working on correspondence, so look for things to start arriving from me soon. What a wonderful warm welcome I have gotten from everyone at the farm. They are truly a joy to work with.

blessings
beth

I Can
beth@maryjanesfarm.org

Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2007 :  11:25:53 AM  Show Profile
As always MaryJane and her crew have things organized and figured out! Exciting news that we may be able to have chaptes "sites"! And I love the idea of one for our individual shops!!

Beverly -- hang in there! It will be ok! I will email you privately.

Hugs,
Kay

http://therusticcottage.wordpress.com

Visit my Etsy Shop! http://therusticcottage.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

queenofdreamsz4u
True Blue Farmgirl

3845 Posts

Stephanie Suzanne
Smoky Mountains Tennessee
USA
3845 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2007 :  1:36:18 PM  Show Profile
All is wonderful and will smooth itself out...

(((((hugs)))))

Stephanie

"hold close your inner child and always listen to the gentle whispers" ~queenofdreamsz
Go to Top of Page

Carol Sue
True Blue Farmgirl

4033 Posts

Carol Sue
Washingtonian
USA
4033 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2007 :  4:56:06 PM  Show Profile
Wow girls, good communitcating, proud of you all. I am just starting a local one here but feel very much a part of you ladies and love to sew and you are the ones to get me to try doing an apron and now I have 3 of them and more to come.
Love the idea of chapter sharing, that will help me starting out as well.
Thanks ladies for being all that you are to me.
Carol Sue

Enjoying life.
Go to Top of Page

sewgirlie
True Blue Farmgirl

1894 Posts

Sheryl-lyn
Calverton NY
USA
1894 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2007 :  7:38:01 PM  Show Profile
No worries! We are just figuring out what this will and won't be for some of us. For some, it will be a good fit (like me who has very little outside time to go to meetings, etc) and for some, it will be too impersonal. That is totally cool and nothing to be upset about. I NEVER got to be in girl scouts (long, sad, juvenile story there!) and the chance to earn badges and participate in "homey" stuff like sewing, canning, fixing a motor and getting a badge is like a walk down memory lane (even though that memory is yet to come) and a great trip that I can only take with an online group.

I used to think I could never make friends with people I never met. It would be impersonal and unnatural. Wrong again! Some of you are my REAL friends, so I can see how this chapter would be just as real for me once it gets going and has things for us to do "together," even though we are apart (Ok, that was way too Hallmark, but I mean it!)
Go to Top of Page

DeepsouthMamma
True Blue Farmgirl

1454 Posts

Autumn
Southwest Louisiana
USA
1454 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2007 :  7:41:01 PM  Show Profile
Sherlyn- You're right that was Hallmark- and beautifully so!!!
A memory yet to come!
What a nice idea!
Blessings
Autumn

Isaiah 40:31
But they that wait upon the LORD shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint.
Go to Top of Page

PlumCreekMama
True Blue Farmgirl

730 Posts

Heather
Iowa
USA
730 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2007 :  8:35:15 PM  Show Profile
Jessica- I didn't take offense. Just putting in my two cents! You're totally right about trying to teach others. I have already started on my mom!

Sheryl-lyn-I never got to be in Girl Scouts, either! I'm glad I'm not the only one who finds the idea of earning badges to be really fun! Sometimes I really don't feel my age.
Go to Top of Page

Bee Haven Maven
True Blue Farmgirl

1862 Posts

Beverly
Pennsylvania
USA
1862 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2007 :  03:05:59 AM  Show Profile  Send Bee Haven Maven an AOL message
Well girls, I am 50 and still feel like a girl scout. I pledge to awaken each day with a fresh outlook...eager to learn...ready to forge ahead! So.....as I have said to a few of you.....Let's blaze a new trail....scatter some seeds....and harvest some friendships along the way!

I will be e-mailing each of you today to remind you to get back to me with your vote for chapter name by Saturday midnight. If you do not get an e-mail from me....it might mean that I did not get your e-mail or in the flurry of activity, it was overlooked. I assure you it was only an oversight....so let me know!

Edited by - Bee Haven Maven on Sep 27 2007 09:08:12 AM
Go to Top of Page

yarnmamma
True Blue Farmgirl

4247 Posts

Linda
Clarks Summit PA
USA
4247 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2007 :  05:36:06 AM  Show Profile  Send yarnmamma a Yahoo! Message
Bev, thanks for your work creating our chapter. The email is informative.

I like several of the suggested name so I am trying to decide which to vote for. I have a good question! What if each name gets only one or two votes. We need to have a way to narrow this down to only a few choices. How shall we do that?
Linda

read...post....sew....read...post....sew...all the day long..la la la la

Linda in PA
Go to Top of Page

Sitnalta
True Blue Farmgirl

4208 Posts

Jessica
NJ
USA
4208 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2007 :  06:39:35 AM  Show Profile
lol....Linda....read post sew.....I know what that's like. I burned a perfectly good birthday cake forgetting to read post sew check the oven...etc...I am so glad how this group is turning out and all the input. I have been reading most of the morning to get caught up. I think it is headed in the right direction. We have exactly what we need. Organized, willing, leadership; encouraging, but not over bearing, follwers, and creativity with a touch of wise yet somewhat funny well meant criticism to help us flourish into a beautiful farmgirl chapter.:) I am so excited to see what is going to happen and which sort of blossom we bloom into.
hugs jessie

Blessed assurance, Jesus is mine; O What a foretaste of Glory DIVINE!
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2007 :  08:08:07 AM  Show Profile
Is this chapter for anyone to join? I missed this infor somewhere.

Felt and Fabric Crafts
www.willowartist.etsy.com
www.willowtreecreek.com
BLOG
www.willowtreecreek.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

queenofdreamsz4u
True Blue Farmgirl

3845 Posts

Stephanie Suzanne
USA
3845 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2007 :  08:23:04 AM  Show Profile
Hey Julie,

This chapter will have a sewing emphasis so I'd say it's perfect for you!! Contact Bev (BeeHavenMaven)...can get to her by going to the 1st page of this topic and then you can see the Chapter name suggestions,member list so far, etc....

Have a great day!

queenofdreamsz & Miss Morgan

quote:
Originally posted by willowtreecreek

Is this chapter for anyone to join? I missed this infor somewhere.

Felt and Fabric Crafts
www.willowartist.etsy.com
www.willowtreecreek.com
BLOG
www.willowtreecreek.wordpress.com

"hold close your inner child and always listen to the gentle whispers" ~queenofdreamsz
Go to Top of Page

queenofdreamsz4u
True Blue Farmgirl

3845 Posts

Stephanie Suzanne
USA
3845 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2007 :  09:53:55 AM  Show Profile
Hey Everyone!

I was on my way out the door yesterday so didn't get to reply to Mary Jane's (QueenBee) post..

I really look forward to all of the growth and opportunities that will "offer themselves up" as time moves along. I'm excited about contributing to the growth in the Farmgirl Barter section of the forum. The area that will be developed will offer a "Farmgirl Locator" organized by USA and International countries.

All of the members that have Websites, Blogs, Esty shops, Photo Albums, or other platforms not mentioned will be encouraged to add their information to this area.

If you do not have any sort of web presence but do "offer up" your goods for sale or barter then please you are also encouraged to tell us what you are doing. In other words, this area is multi-faceted so that every member has the opportunity to be included in the Farmgirl Locator! It's emphasis is on "links" to goods and services and for simply finding a Farmgirl in your area!

All "goods and services" that are up for Barter will continue to be listed where they are right now. The new section emphasis is only for locating other Farmgirls.

So many members continue to find the Farmgirl Barter section to be a convenient and practical way to find goods that they need and want. Now with the addition of the Farmgirl Locator we will have a solid foundation that will allow all of us to barter, shop and visit with one another first!

There are great things in the future and I'm happy to be a part of Mary Janes Farm and everything she offers. Thanks so much for all of your kindness!

Stephanie aka
queenofdreamsz

quote:
Originally posted by MaryJane

I'd like to jump in here if I may? Sarah’s comments are well taken. But fear not, Bev and I and others have been talking behind the scenes to address your concerns. We’re also talking to our computer techs about individual chapter “sites” where group news, journals, etc. can be housed.

On our main site, we’ll have an entire area set aside for posting the stories and photos of farmgirl sisterhood award badges--to include everything from engine repair/engine overall, to crochet, to canning, to community projects, to beekeeping, on and on. (We’re almost too resourceful…the list is long!) We’re coming up with that list now and Janet is fleshing out the embroidered badges. We’ve had many inquiries about the badges. Hang tight!

Also, Stephanie has volunteered to create a spiffy pop-up map for the Farmgirl Barter section (to include your blogs and etsy sites). We want that section to get a lot beefier. We want you to be able to strut/sell your stuff, whatever it may be! Stephanie, maybe you can talk about that a bit more. Ha! We LOVE how long-winded (amazingly thorough...a farmgirl after MY heart) you are. AND, Beth (Celebrate2727) is going to start pitching in with the cross pollination and correspondence that Libbie used to help with but couldn’t anymore. But Libbie has found time to come back and commit to weekly chapter newsletters and forum moderation. We LOVE having you back, Libbie. Your voice was very much missed.

But in order for the group sites to work, they need to be closely managed by a chapter leader/moderator. Each leader will make sure there’s a condensed daily dose of “what’s happening” in our chapter right now, right up front, right at the top. I envision lots of "interoffice memos" amongst chapter members. When I walked into the Idaho City chapter house, the first thing I noticed was a big blackboard in the living room listing the “latest and greatest news and happenings.” We’ll create a cyber blackboard for every chapter.

We all lead busy lives and only have so much time for the extraneous. We’re hoping to build a layered community that is constantly sifting and sorting for you--a structured reader’s digest, farmgirl style!

Hog and Quiches (Past Blessings style),
MaryJane

P.S. I think we may end up with MANY Faraway or Beyond Borders Chapters actually. This one has a stitching emphasis. I can picture camping, fishing, crochet, yo-yo. It’s endless.

P.P.S. One of the reasons I created this chatroom is because of my physical isolation when I was home with babies MANY years ago. I would have LOVED to carry around in my head the chatter of other women as I went about my daily chores, popping in easily when I had a few extra minutes to share and create, time just for me. No travel involved. It would have meant EVERYTHING to me back then. I can’t tell you how much my daughter loves this forum, especially now that she’s a mother herself.

P.P.P.S. (Ha, Stephanie)
Today is an exciting day for me. Seattle TV crews are coming to shoot an MJ segment of SUCCESS BY 6. Parents, READ to your kids. Give them BOOKS, books, books.

Look for my new book, "MaryJane's Stitching Room," in bookstores now. Coming next in 2008: "MaryJane's Outpost Guidebook - for Cultivating Your Inner Wild."

Edited by - queenofdreamsz4u on Sep 27 2007 10:36:53 PM
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2007 :  11:18:22 AM  Show Profile
I'm 55 and still feel like a Girl Scout!! I was in GS until I was 16 and earned LOTS of badges. Now that I'm too old for GS and I can earn Farmgirl badges -- can't wait.

Loved the newsletter, Bev!

http://therusticcottage.wordpress.com

Visit my Etsy Shop! http://therusticcottage.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Tina Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

6948 Posts

Tina
sunshine state FL
USA
6948 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2007 :  1:22:38 PM  Show Profile
I just wanted to chime in here and say that I for one really appreciate very much being able to become a part of this chapter. I do not have any friends in my area...(gosh that sounds so pitiful/but is true) I find that in my area, even though I have ran an ad for several weeks in the paper, and also left flyers by the cash register at our local feed store..that there just haven't been any farmgirls in my area to talk to/chat with. So yes..I spend a few moments here every day..on the Mary Jane's site...connecting with other women whose hearts are where mine is at.It is my way to connect with like minded individuals...and to hopefully forge friendships.
At this time, most of my sewing projects are what I can easily do by hand, little tea towels, or yo-yo garlands. But..I am hoping that my sweet daughter will begin to share her sewing machine with her dear mama.
I do hope that I am welcomed here in your midst, even though I'm not as active as a sewer as many of you are.
...butI appreciate being more a part of things/having as was mentioned "a sense of belonging".

~Seize the Day! Live, Love, Laugh~
visit me at:
http://gardengoose.blogspot.com/
and at www.stliving.net
you can also check out my etsy shops at:http://GardenGooseGifts.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Bee Haven Maven
True Blue Farmgirl

1862 Posts

Beverly
Pennsylvania
USA
1862 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2007 :  2:48:34 PM  Show Profile  Send Bee Haven Maven an AOL message
Of course you are welcome Tina Michelle!!!

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2007 :  5:06:37 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Hey ladies! Do we want to participate in the Christmas Tree Challenge?

http://www.maryjanesfarm.org/snitz/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=13795

I would be happy to "Host the Tree" so to speak. If everyone wants, you could mail ordaments to me and I could get the tree all decorated and take pictures until we are happy with the result- and then, perhaps, we could make a gift of the ordaments to MaryJane? Or you could sign you name on your ordament and I could mail it back to you after pictures are taken.

What do you think?

It would be so fun to have a project for us all to work on, eh?

Alee
The amazing one handed typist! One hand for typing, one hand to hold Nora!
http://home.test-afl.tulix.com/aleeandnora/
Go to Top of Page

sewgirlie
True Blue Farmgirl

1894 Posts

Sheryl-lyn
Calverton NY
USA
1894 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2007 :  6:46:02 PM  Show Profile
We could also consider donating the ornaments to a nursing home or hospital or a family in need of cheer during the holidays if MaryJane has enough of her own. I would like to do things that reach out to others in a way that spreads our good fortune out to others who may need a little kindess in thier lives. We could do it in MaryJane's name if you like that idea.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 19 Farmgirl Chapter Chatter: Previous Topic "Bees Without Borders" Farmgirl Chapter.... Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page