Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Farmgirl Chapters
 Farmgirl Chapter Chatter
 "Bees Without Borders" Farmgirl Chapter....
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Farmgirl Chapter Chatter: Previous Topic "Bees Without Borders" Farmgirl Chapter.... Next Topic
Page: of 19

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2007 :  6:23:07 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by KYgurlsrbest

How did I miss this thread? Darn vacation!!!!

Can I be a member, what's the charter, why are we doing this, and how do I join?

Me too me too! I'm clueless as to what is going on. Just very enthusiastic . Or can some one point me in the right direction to read what is going on? Either way, what I've read sounds fun.

Annika
Go to Top of Page

smoothiejuice
True Blue Farmgirl

6309 Posts

Jessica
Bloomington Indiana
USA
6309 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2007 :  6:40:43 PM  Show Profile
I think Kathie's point was clearly missed. I cannot figure out exactly how to explain the very point she was trying to make. I know that now we all have to be very guarded and watchful of how we try to explain things or get our messages across. We have become a very large group that is perhaps not as closely knit as we believed we were becoming. I understand the very foundation that this group was being started, but I believe this whole thing has gotten way out of hand. I am stepping up right now to let everyone know that I have formed friendships on here that I will cherish for the rest of my life, I have laughed, cried and gained a wealth of knowledge and given and received numerous tips that have made my life better. I am afraid that I cannot be a part of this chapter..I think it is too big and perhaps not the right place for me. I hope you girls all have fun and I wish you all the best of luck. Hopefully I can still come to Apronstock next summer and meet all of you that I have really enjoyed sharing portions of my life with on a daily basis. Good luck to all of you...jess
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2007 :  6:57:01 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Well Ladies-

I think what we need here is a purpose/mission statement so we can keep firmly in mind what we want this chapter to be about. What do you ladies think?

Alee
The amazing one handed typist! One hand for typing, one hand to hold Nora!
http://home.test-afl.tulix.com/aleeandnora/
Go to Top of Page

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2007 :  7:22:38 PM  Show Profile
LOL! I think I'm clueless and probably shouldn't have commented on something that I have no real idea what is going on with. But yes. A clear mission statement.

Annika
Go to Top of Page

queenofdreamsz4u
True Blue Farmgirl

3845 Posts

Stephanie Suzanne
Smoky Mountains Tennessee
USA
3845 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2007 :  7:24:32 PM  Show Profile
Bee Sisters Without Borders....

that's a good one Beth!!

I still like the name of....Bee Stitching...Without Borders

The "Treadle" in the logo is great fantastic! but not in the name....In addition to machine stitching I really enjoy handsewing (fancywork), crochet, etc..and the word "stitching" really represents all of us that sew in one form or another.

queenofdreamsz & Miss Morgan

quote:
Originally posted by celebrate2727

"Bee Sisters Without Borders" ???

blessings
beth
“People will forget what you said, they will forget what you did,
but they will never forget how you made them feel.” Maya Angelou

I Can
beth@maryjanesfarm.org

"hold close your inner child and always listen to the gentle whispers" ~queenofdreamsz
Go to Top of Page

queenofdreamsz4u
True Blue Farmgirl

3845 Posts

Stephanie Suzanne
USA
3845 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2007 :  7:29:03 PM  Show Profile
Wow Alee, You've got streaming energy...y'all may very well leave me in the smoke already asking about what the first project will be??? LOL But that's the beauty of this..we can be as involved as our time allows and still be a part of everything that is happening!

quote:
Originally posted by Alee

I can't wait to see what everyone comes up with! I agree with Bev- the pages should be whatever we like, even a letter to the rest of the farmgirls if that is what strikes your fancy-

But of course you could always wait to make your own until a couple are submitted if you want to see what others are doing before doing your own.

So other than trying to find the fabric for everyone, what is going to be our first project?

Alee

"hold close your inner child and always listen to the gentle whispers" ~queenofdreamsz
Go to Top of Page

Aunt George
True Blue Farmgirl

1476 Posts

Georgann
Midlothian VA
1476 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2007 :  7:49:13 PM  Show Profile
I understand what you are saying, Kathie and Jess. Perhaps the chapter blog could be a place to go to check Chapter projects and notices, rather a bit like a chapter newsletter. Not a place for discussions, etc. That could continue to be done out here on MJ's. I don't think I could keep up at this pace on multiple sites.

A chapter doesn't have to be a huge discussion board online. I know that this is a new concept and it has taken me a few days to think all of this over and yes,it could grow out beyond its own borders...and possibly not be what we all want it to be.

These reasonings are just part of the growth & development process> So my suggestion:

1.) Blog is a central location for reading chapter news. (no posting, but there could be polls.
2.) The blog could have great information for the sewing: patterns, fabric sale notices
3.) Profiles of the members...kind of a meet and greet.

I've been awol due to sewing!!

Gotta go to bed...falling asleep at the keyboard again. Later, I'm off tomorrow and Thursday, so ta ta for now!

G

http://auntgeorgeshouse.blogspot.com/index.html
http://thefabricho.blogspot.com/
http://auntgeorge.etsy.com

"Made With Love"
Go to Top of Page

smoothiejuice
True Blue Farmgirl

6309 Posts

Jessica
Bloomington Indiana
USA
6309 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2007 :  8:04:56 PM  Show Profile
well put george, but I still think we are sort of our own grouop right here, why complicate things. We were getting along just fine on the apron thread, and now it seems so impersonal, divided, and not closely knit at all. I understand not being near other farmgirls and wanting a chapter to call home, but I tell you what ....most people have no idea who MaryJAne Butters is, what is a "farmgirl at heart", and what the heck is the apron for on your bumper sticker. YOu know I went around and talked it up to people in my area, friends, acquaintances, people I wished I knew better...and voila..I ahd my own chapter and we have a great time together. And..we all have matching bumperstickers.
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2007 :  8:20:03 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Just my two cents worth, but I have a feeling that the group isn't feeling as tight knit right now because we are still in the organizational stage. Once we have a name, a logo and whatever else we deem important dealt with or delegated out, I am sure we will get right back to chatting and bonding and having a grand time!

Alee
Go to Top of Page

queenofdreamsz4u
True Blue Farmgirl

3845 Posts

Stephanie Suzanne
USA
3845 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2007 :  8:27:05 PM  Show Profile

Hey Everyone,

I totally agree with we are all intelligent women that have established in alot of cases life changing friendships...I for one came back to the group after joining in 2005 and then my life took a roller coaster ride!

I've been back and very active for only 4 short months but the Farmgirl Connection forum has and is a vital part of my everyday life. I love it here!

Now..as those of you that know me..I'm another long-winded and detail oriented person and I love the whole concept of "cyber communities". Always have, always will. I think really alot of what is happening here is that this is the FIRST full blown "internet" based Farmgirl Chapter. We here on the forum everyday don't normally encounter the workings so to speak of what's happening in all the other Farmgirl Chapters that exist (unless you are member of that chapter and you are checking into a topic in that section of this forum)...

I've watched this "internet based" Chapter explode just as I knew that it would...it truly is part of the now and future Farmgirl Chapter movement..at least that's my vision and the turn out for it is the proof
The intention is NOT to take away from the gentle slow conversations, sipping tea on the front porch and enjoying the moonlight while we talk...These are all qualities that I have come to love on the FGC.

With the turning out of so many members for this internet based chapter I clearly see it as a complete POSITIVE affirmation from the ladies that want to be a member of this good energy. I believe (I may be wrong) some of the ladies showing up to join may not even sew (yet) but they want to "belong" to the sisterhood of farmgirls at heart.

The chapter was begun on the premise of the love of sewing shared by a relatively small core group here on FGC....so it has brought great change and all at the speed of light. The Sewing and Crafting Room on FGC will ALWAYS thrive with the wonderful sewing enthusiasts that are constant....they are not leaving..just some of them are also joining a chapter in addition to their existance on FGC....

Bev made is very clear from the beginning that "we all have our everyday lives to live and that will tell us how involved we may be in the Chapter..it's a win win situation....lots or a little involvement is OK...

I for one love organizing and seeing growth..it's just me! The Chapter is planning to have it's own Blog where all members can post and manage to their specific needs. That's where we can customize to make it "not a place of chaos" but a "safe haven" of happenings that involve those that choose to become members...

I honestly believe at some point at the growth that is taking place we will need to have links on the Blog to find members by "state and country"...It's really simple if you don't get too far ahead of yourself Do like I do....breath, take a step, breath again...LOL This really can be a very positive and rewarding experience for those that are interested! It's just up to each of us to make that decision for ourselves.

For some there was not the realization of the explosive growth that would take place in such a short period....You will still have the same quality of life on the FGC that you've always had...

All in all...it's a very good thing ladies!! Things like this always explode with all the initial planning, names, etc..and then it settles into a normal easy going existence....NO ONE wants to be part of a chaotic chapter and I don't see that this will be one..Some folks will thrive with a chapter setting and others will not..it's just a personal choice and either way it's OK...

Please excuse any of my "typos" please....and if you actually read all of this post then I definitely have done a "happy dance" RITFLOL

Have a great evening!

Go to Top of Page

yarnmamma
True Blue Farmgirl

4247 Posts

Linda
Clarks Summit PA
USA
4247 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2007 :  8:27:28 PM  Show Profile  Send yarnmamma a Yahoo! Message
it's 11:30 here now and I am way past my sleepy nite nite time.
I just wanted to say that I love being part of this group of farmgirls who love aprons and sew other things and are friends too. I hope that it won't change. I plan to stick it out to see what happens. Checking your posts morning noon and night. Really feeling the love.....((((huggs)))and think about all of ya while I sew!

read...post....sew....read...post....sew...all the day long..la la la la

Linda in PA
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2007 :  8:39:21 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Steph- You crack me up! I read your whole post! ;D

Alee
Go to Top of Page

smoothiejuice
True Blue Farmgirl

6309 Posts

Jessica
Bloomington Indiana
USA
6309 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2007 :  8:40:30 PM  Show Profile
have fun girls..and steph...i read it alll, too.
Go to Top of Page

Tammy Claxton
True Blue Farmgirl

1559 Posts

Tammy
Glen Burnie Maryland
USA
1559 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2007 :  9:22:28 PM  Show Profile  Send Tammy Claxton an AOL message
I have to admit that I loved this idea, but I am not a die hard sewing person. I sew, but most ladies on here a great at it - not me, not yet. I jumped the gun on joining and now I am realizing that this isn't for me. Forgive me please, but I will be leaving the group. I hope you all have a great time and enjoy the chapter! I have some personal things going on at home right now too and Ineed to focus on that also. Take care and have fun!!

What doesn't kill you only makes you stronger!

http://countryintheburbs.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

queenofdreamsz4u
True Blue Farmgirl

3845 Posts

Stephanie Suzanne
USA
3845 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2007 :  9:31:23 PM  Show Profile
Tammy, don't leave....there is every level of sewing imaginable around here...it doesn't matter..

quote:
Originally posted by Tammy Claxton

I have to admit that I loved this idea, but I am not a die hard sewing person. I sew, but most ladies on here a great at it - not me, not yet. I jumped the gun on joining and now I am realizing that this isn't for me. Forgive me please, but I will be leaving the group. I hope you all have a great time and enjoy the chapter! I have some personal things going on at home right now too and Ineed to focus on that also. Take care and have fun!!

Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2007 :  10:01:27 PM  Show Profile
Hi Ladies!! Could you please take my name off the member list for this chapter?

http://therusticcottage.wordpress.com

Visit my Etsy Shop! http://therusticcottage.etsy.com

Edited by - therusticcottage on Sep 25 2007 10:05:59 PM
Go to Top of Page

Carol Sue
True Blue Farmgirl

4033 Posts

Carol Sue
Washingtonian
USA
4033 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2007 :  11:09:30 PM  Show Profile
Okay Ladies take a breather. We are slowly learning what will work for each of us and what will not. Trying to navigate through new waters is never easy.
Kathie and Jess, I understand what you are saying. Trying to read all this and catch up is absoluletly overwhelming. There was a comradier(sp) that you are unsure where it has gone. That will settle down when some of the figuring is done. Each of our lives are pretty darn full like Bev said and this is just a way to connect in another way.
I really don't want to see people get hurt and I know that it isn't my job to fix it, but lets take a step back and breath. Access where you are at and if this works for you. No judgement either way. Managing a full life and getting to get to play on the farm takes up lots of time period. So we need to know what will work.
Kay, are you okay, or are you overwhelmed by it all?

Enjoying life.
Go to Top of Page

Aunt George
True Blue Farmgirl

1476 Posts

Georgann
Midlothian VA
1476 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2007 :  04:46:25 AM  Show Profile
Attrition is a natural part of growth. I agree with Carol Sue.....see what happens.

http://auntgeorgeshouse.blogspot.com/index.html
http://thefabricho.blogspot.com/
http://auntgeorge.etsy.com

"Made With Love"
Go to Top of Page

Tammy Claxton
True Blue Farmgirl

1559 Posts

Tammy
Glen Burnie Maryland
USA
1559 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2007 :  04:51:56 AM  Show Profile  Send Tammy Claxton an AOL message
Hi Stephanie,

Thanks for wanting me to stay, but right now I have a ton on my plate and I'm having some personal issues here at home with my teenage son. I am already in another chapter here and involved in a few swaps. I think I jumped in too quickly and didn't take into consideration all the other things going on in my life. I think what Bev and everyone else on here are doing is great! All the farmgirls here are wonderful and I hope you all have a blast with this. Maybe after things calm down(hopefully soon), I can come back and join in.

Go to Top of Page

sunshine
True Blue Farmgirl

4877 Posts

Wendy
Utah
USA
4877 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2007 :  05:15:19 AM  Show Profile  Send sunshine a Yahoo! Message
Wow things got busy the last two days while I was away. I hope every one has a little patience with all this as growth can hurt and so does change but usually things are better in the end.

have a lovely day and may God bless you and keep you safe
my bloghttp://sunshinescreations.vintagethreads.com/
my web store http://vintagethreads.com/
Go to Top of Page

DeepsouthMamma
True Blue Farmgirl

1454 Posts

Autumn
Southwest Louisiana
USA
1454 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2007 :  06:07:37 AM  Show Profile
Stephanie- do the happy dance!! I read the entire post.

You'll notice my marked silence during the organizational mode-
like I said I am a great follower
Keep up the good work girls!
Blessings!
Autumn

Isaiah 40:31
But they that wait upon the LORD shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint.
Go to Top of Page

SarahJ
True Blue Farmgirl

198 Posts

Shreveport Louisiana
198 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2007 :  07:16:09 AM  Show Profile
Hey Ladies,

I am going to post my thoughts, but I have probably missed reading a few posts, so bear that in mind if it sounds like I'm not up to date.

I love the idea of this chapter. I really want to be a part of it.

However, between the number of posts on this and the original sewing thread, I can barely keep up. I have limited computer time a day, and so far, I feel like just when I know what is going on, 30 other posts have been made with ideas and information, and I am again behind.

I think the blog, or some other centralized way to get information and announcements to members is essential. For example, I am lost on the journal topic, and it will take more time than I have to go back through the posts and track it down. i don't think the chapter is too big, I just think it's hard for some to keep up with the information when it is included with other discussions and topics.

Now, I am all too aware how hard it is to communicate on the internet, because we can't hear tones of voice, or see body language. So, I want all you wonderful ladies to know that my comments are NOT critical. I am amazed at the innovative, hardworking ladies that are spearheading this chapter. They have a great idea, and it will help those of us who do not have our own chapter to still participate.

So, my request is some way to get key information that does not involve tracking it through a discussion. Some days, I do have the time to read all the posts, but others (like with 2 sick kids this week), I just can't keep up. I don't want to hold up the chapter on decisions or projects because I missed a key post within a discussion.
Thanks again for all your help.
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2007 :  07:27:54 AM  Show Profile
Ok, I really feel like since I posted that I wanted to join up, you all got scared and backed out.

As for all this other stuff, I do feel like there's a lot of overprocessing, and I personally am still debating. Bee Haven Maven, thanks for your email. I had several questions, and you answered them perfectly. I, however, can only hand sew, and don't feel alienated at ALL by the fact that folks can do wonders with a needle. Lord knows I've got a ton of irons in the fire here at home (volunteering at the VA, the democratic hq stuff, work, life, dh, a housefull of critters, etc...), and I would never want to be the bad apple, so I think, now that I am more informed (thanks again), that I would be a detriment to the group--so, all you ladies who decided not to join after I posted, you can come back now

"She was built like a watch, a study in balance ... with a neck and head so refined, like a drawing by DaVinci"...
NY Newsday sportswriter Bill Nack describing filly, Ruffian.
Go to Top of Page

Kathie
True Blue Farmgirl

2436 Posts

Kathie
Thonotosassa Florida
USA
2436 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2007 :  08:03:15 AM  Show Profile
Sarah I completely agree with you..
I is really difficult to see another persons concern & tone & feelings While on line..
Sometimes just getting to know that person better allows that insight a bit more though...
Lets you into the that pesrons feeling a bit more of you have known them for awhile.. just comes in time..
So all these things will work themselves out..

JONNI!!
Sweetie are you kidding.. you have so much to bring to the table .. You are such a talented, sweet, kind hearted person.. Get yourself back here!!
I don't think ANYONE is leaving at all overany one person.. it's situations.. circumstances.. & feelings & words.. Nothing at all to do over a person..
& MOSt of all.. YOU Girl!!

So.. Please.. if this is something you feel you want to be part of.. Please come back in!
Bev is such a Great Woman.. We all have so much we can learn from her..
Belonging to anything that she's part of has got to be a positive..

In a World Where you Can Be Anything, Be Yourself..

Edited by - Kathie on Sep 26 2007 08:04:22 AM
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16373 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16373 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2007 :  08:12:50 AM  Show Profile
I'd like to jump in here if I may? Sarah’s comments are well taken. But fear not, Bev and I and others have been talking behind the scenes to address your concerns. We’re also talking to our computer techs about individual chapter “sites” where group news, journals, etc. can be housed.

On our main site, we’ll have an entire area set aside for posting the stories and photos of farmgirl sisterhood award badges--to include everything from engine repair/engine overall, to crochet, to canning, to community projects, to beekeeping, on and on. (We’re almost too resourceful…the list is long!) We’re coming up with that list now and Janet is fleshing out the embroidered badges. We’ve had many inquiries about the badges. Hang tight!

Also, Stephanie has volunteered to create a spiffy pop-up map for the Farmgirl Barter section (to include your blogs and etsy sites). We want that section to get a lot beefier. We want you to be able to strut/sell your stuff, whatever it may be! Stephanie, maybe you can talk about that a bit more. Ha! We LOVE how long-winded (amazingly thorough...a farmgirl after MY heart) you are. AND, Beth (Celebrate2727) is going to start pitching in with the cross pollination and correspondence that Libbie used to help with but couldn’t anymore. But Libbie has found time to come back and commit to weekly chapter newsletters and forum moderation. We LOVE having you back, Libbie. Your voice was very much missed.

But in order for the group sites to work, they need to be closely managed by a chapter leader/moderator. Each leader will make sure there’s a condensed daily dose of “what’s happening” in our chapter right now, right up front, right at the top. I envision lots of "interoffice memos" amongst chapter members. When I walked into the Idaho City chapter house, the first thing I noticed was a big blackboard in the living room listing the “latest and greatest news and happenings.” We’ll create a cyber blackboard for every chapter.

We all lead busy lives and only have so much time for the extraneous. We’re hoping to build a layered community that is constantly sifting and sorting for you--a structured reader’s digest, farmgirl style!

Hog and Quiches (Past Blessings style),
MaryJane

P.S. I think we may end up with MANY Faraway or Beyond Borders Chapters actually. This one has a stitching emphasis. I can picture camping, fishing, crochet, yo-yo. It’s endless.

P.P.S. One of the reasons I created this chatroom is because of my physical isolation when I was home with babies MANY years ago. I would have LOVED to carry around in my head the chatter of other women as I went about my daily chores, popping in easily when I had a few extra minutes to share and create, time just for me. No travel involved. It would have meant EVERYTHING to me back then. I can’t tell you how much my daughter loves this forum, especially now that she’s a mother herself.

P.P.P.S. (Ha, Stephanie)
Today is an exciting day for me. Seattle TV crews are coming to shoot an MJ segment of SUCCESS BY 6. Parents, READ to your kids. Give them BOOKS, books, books.

Look for my new book, "MaryJane's Stitching Room," in bookstores now. Coming next in 2008: "MaryJane's Outpost Guidebook - for Cultivating Your Inner Wild."
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 19 Farmgirl Chapter Chatter: Previous Topic "Bees Without Borders" Farmgirl Chapter.... Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page