Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Farm Kitchen
 Canning Question: When to re-process?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Canning Question: When to re-process? Next Topic  

JenniferJuniper
True Blue Farmgirl

359 Posts

Jennifer
New Hampshire
USA
359 Posts

Posted - Sep 24 2007 :  09:04:20 AM  Show Profile
I'm not much of an experienced canner, have only done jams to date.

I went apple-picking and yesterday I canned 6 quarts of sliced Cortland apples in light syrup, following instructions to the T (or so I thought) by keping 1/2-inch headspace. I used waterbath method, though it is a pressure canner.

This morning, 4 of 6 quarts had oozed out a little bit of syrup. I know I have to re-process these as the seals obviously did not work, but can anyone tell me why this happened? And should I reprocess all 6, or the the 4 culprits?

Edited by - JenniferJuniper on Sep 24 2007 09:05:13 AM

Shirley
True Blue Farmgirl

734 Posts

Shirley
Olympia Wa
USA
734 Posts

Posted - Sep 24 2007 :  11:29:02 AM  Show Profile
oozing out syrup doesnt mean they arent sealed, I have found that if I take the jars out of the bath right away, while they are still boiling inside the jars, that they will sometimes leak out juice.
So I turn the water off and let them sit for 5-10 minutes and then take them out making sure I dont tip the jars, take them straight up and out.
you have to tap the lids on top to hear if they are sealed. If they are sealed they make a ting sound, if they arent sealed they have a dull thud sound. its an experience thing.
Do you clean off tops of jars before putting lids on? I put my lids in a little pan of hot water on the stove to kill any bacteria , then take a fork to get them out of pan and wipe off jar tops and put lids on, then rings.
I hope this helps a little.
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Sep 24 2007 :  1:26:58 PM  Show Profile
I agree..things like that ooze sometimes. If they are still sealed I would just clean around the edge really good and not worry. Don't store with the rings on though..could cause rusty lids.

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

lisamarie508
True Blue Farmgirl

2648 Posts

Lisa
Idaho City ID
USA
2648 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2007 :  05:53:35 AM  Show Profile
That's good to know. The same thing just happened with my apples this year. I've never had a problem with applesauce or applebutter. This year I decided to do apple juice and sliced apples. Only the sliced apples gave me a problem with oozing.

my blog: http://lisamariesbasketry.blogspot.com/
My Website:
http://www.freewebs.com/lisamariesbasketry/index.htm
Go to Top of Page

JenniferJuniper
True Blue Farmgirl

359 Posts

Jennifer
New Hampshire
USA
359 Posts

Posted - Sep 28 2007 :  06:01:13 AM  Show Profile
Thanks girls! I was dreading botulism. Now I'm going to put up apple butter tomorrow, yum!
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Canning Question: When to re-process? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page