KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2007 :  09:46:22 AM  Show Profile
We've all been talking about and trying to be frugal with our shopping--I can clip coupons and save with the best of them, but I have trouble "using" what I already have, say in the freezer. I have a lot of 1lb packages of ground beef and ground sirloin, and I don't just want to make burgers, meatloaf and spaghetti sauce, because I will completely burn out.

What other inventive ways can I use ground beef and sirloin? For some reason, I'm just not thinking outside of the box on this one.

I'd like to try to stick with casserole type things, that utilize the whole lb., so if anyone has any recipes they'd like to share, I'd be greatful. I'm really trying to turn over a new leaf when it comes to budgeting and saving some dough.

j

"She was built like a watch, a study in balance ... with a neck and head so refined, like a drawing by DaVinci"...
NY Newsday sportswriter Bill Nack describing filly, Ruffian.

Hideaway Farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1553 Posts

Jo
Virginia
USA
1553 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2007 :  10:44:55 AM  Show Profile
Some ideas that come to mine are:

Stuffed green peppers or burritos, sloppy joes, chili, vegetable beef soup using cooked and crumbled ground beef, or make little meatballs and cook them, then drop them in the soup. Also, make meatballs and make a saice to go over them, a friend used to use grape jelly in a recipe and it was delicious. These are usually served at parties as appetizers, but why not as the meat part of your dinner plate?

Also, you could use the cooked burger as topping for pizza. One of the big chains used to make a cheeseburger pizza that came with a little plastic tub of pickles and when they stopped carrying it I would make it at home. Cheddar cheese instead of mozzarella (or both), bacon, chopped tomatoes, yum.. There is also lasagna, manicotti, shepherd's pie (can you tell I use a lot of hamburger) and even hamburger gravy over toast (like sausage gravy, with burger instead).

There is also a version of pizza using tortilla's instead of pizza crust; assemble cooked burger, chopped tomatoes, crumbled feta cheese, olives if you want, greek or italian seasonings. Brush the tortillas lightly with oil, then bake 3-4 minutes in hot oven, add toppings and bake another 10 minutes or untli cheese gets soft and everything is heated through.

Is the ground sirloin rough cut enough to use it for salisbury steaks or cubed steak, with gravy over rice or mashed potatoes?

Good luck!

Jo

"Wish I had time to work with herbs all day!"
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2007 :  11:56:06 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
What about shepherd's pie (browned hamburger, carrots, potatoes, onions, celary all covered with biscuit mix *I use BudgetMix*) and cooked?

Or casseroles or meatloaf?

Alee
The amazing one handed typist! One hand for typing, one hand to hold Nora!
http://home.test-afl.tulix.com/aleeandnora/
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2007 :  12:47:31 PM  Show Profile
Thanks, girls. I make meatloaf ALOT, because Justin could eat it everyday (blech).

I'm liking these uses--I don't know if he'll eat it on pizza, as the only thing allowed on pizza is pepperoni (c'mon, didn't you know that????), but I'll mark notes down on the others.

I'm especially fond of that tortilla pizza idea! Yum, how can you go wrong!

"She was built like a watch, a study in balance ... with a neck and head so refined, like a drawing by DaVinci"...
Go to Top of Page

BlueApple
True Blue Farmgirl

430 Posts

Julia
Oregon
USA
430 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2007 :  2:14:30 PM  Show Profile  Send BlueApple an AOL message
A very frugal recipe...
Hamburger Rice Casserole

1 lb. ground beef
*salt, pepper, garlic powder, worcestershire sauce
1 onion - chopped
cooked rice (original recipe says 2 cups cooked but I always use more and then just increase the tomato sauce)
1 can tomato soup (condensed kind)
1 small can tomato sauce (I always use more)
grated cheese

Brown hamburger and season with the seasonings. Add onion and simmer until tender. Mix rice and meat mixture in large bowl. Add tomato sauce and soup. Pour into lightly sprayed casserole dish, put a few pats of butter on top. Bake at 1 hour at 45 minutes to 1 hour at 350. Put cheese on top 10 minutes before done to melt. This casserole is even better if you can assemble it the day before and let it sit in the refrigerator overnight.

This is one of the basic casseroles that you could easily change around by the seasonings, etc. that you use.

Julia

Julia
BlueApple Farm
http://www.homesteadblogger.com/BlueAppleFarm/
Go to Top of Page

Kati
True Blue Farmgirl

76 Posts

Kati
North Pole AK
USA
76 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2007 :  11:43:55 AM  Show Profile
I'm making Glorified Hash Browns for dinner tonight, and adding ground beef so that I only needing a veggie addition to make it a complete meal.

Here's the recipe I'm using. It comes from Taste of Home Mag.

Glorified Hash Browns

2 (10-3/4 oz) cans condensed cream of celery soup, undiluted
2 (8 oz) cartons spreadable chive & onion cream cheese
1 (2 pound) pkg frozen cubed hash browns
1 cup (4 oz) shredded cheddar cheese
(as I said, I also add 1 pound ground beef, browned & drained)

In a large microwave-safe bowl, combine the soup & cream cheese. Cover & cook on high for 3 to 4 minutes or until cream cheeese is melted, stirring occasionally. Add the potatoes (and ground beef) and stir until coated.

Spoon into a greased 13x9x2" baking dish. Bake, uncovered, at 350 deg. F. for 35 to 40 minutes or until the potatoes are tender. Sprinkle with cheddar cheese. Bake 3 to 5 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Yield: 10 servings.

I suppose you could add frozen green beans or peas to this as well. Or chop up some onion & sautee it with the ground beef.

This is one of our family's favorite casseroles to use ground beef in.

Shephard's Pie is another option, though I don't have a recipe for that. I'm sure one can be found easily online. My mom's recipe had ground (browned) beef & peas & carrots & corn, in a casserole dish, topped with mashed potatoes & shredded cheese.

How about S.O.S., as my dad used to call it??? (SOS: also knonw as "Stuff" on Shingles, or a somewhat coarser military version substituting "s---" for "stuff". Brown the ground beef & half a chopped onion & drain the grease. Make some brown gravy -Dad always used a mix, and I do to- & add the beef & onion back in & heat. Serve over rice, buttered noodles, or toast.)

I know that the Kraft site contains a recipe "calculator" in which you plug in the basic ingredients you have, and it gives you a list of recipes using those ingredients (and, invariably, other Kraft products).

Blessings.
Go to Top of Page

La Patite Ferme
True Blue Farmgirl

623 Posts

Jenn
CA
USA
623 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2007 :  10:54:06 PM  Show Profile
I'd like to add a few comfort food recipes to your new collection.

(this one dosen't really have a name)

1 lb ground beef
1 onion diced
1 can tomatoe soup
a little garlic salt
1/2 cup canned corn (approximate)
1 cup elbow macaroni cooked and drained

Saute onions and brown meat. Mix in tomato soup, garlic salt, corn and macaroni. Cook to heat all ingredients and serve.

This next one is another comfort food staple. It sounds a little funny but every time I serve it I always run out.

Chinese Noodle Cassarole

1-1/2 lbs ground beef
3 cups celery, sliced
2 large onions, chopped
1/4 cup lite soy sauce
1 cup water
1/2 cup uncooked rice
1 can each: cream of celery, cream of chicken, sliced water chestnuts and chow mein noodles.

Brown meat; add onions and celery, saute slightly. Add all other ingredients, except noodles. Bake in covered 9 x 13 dish at 350 for 45 minutes. Remove cover and spread noodles over top. Bake another 10 minutes.

Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Sep 28 2007 :  07:41:24 AM  Show Profile
These are great! I've printed them off and put them in my "main dishes" section of my recipe file.

Thanks soooo much, girls. The car broke down this morning, and I have to choose between buying my prescription or fixing the car, so looks like we'll be eating in for a long while!

Oh well, it's a challenge, and with these recipes, I won't get so darn bored.

Go to Top of Page

juliet79
True Blue Farmgirl

112 Posts

Heather
Worland Wyoming
USA
112 Posts

Posted - Sep 28 2007 :  08:58:57 AM  Show Profile
Brown the meat and make super burritos with sour cream, olive, tomato, lettuce, onion, etc! YUM. Or you could make nachos with the same ingredients on top!
Go to Top of Page

joyfulmama
True Blue Farmgirl

1175 Posts

Debra
Silver Springs NV
USA
1175 Posts

Posted - Sep 28 2007 :  1:49:04 PM  Show Profile
Buritto Casserole...
Mexi flavored ground beef I did about 1 lb and I added about 3 cups of refried beans to it. I add a bit of water to make it more spreadable.
salsa (I omitted this, my kids are picky. if you use it do a layer of salsa on the bottom and then a layer of tortillas- I started with a layer of beef and beans)
cheese
flour tortillas
layer the above you will end with a layer of beef and beans and top with cheese.
This freezes well- before you cook it. I put one together in the morning- put in the fridge and cooked it in the evening.
Cook at 375 until hot and bubbly.
The kids loved it! This is major as no one in the family really likes casseroles.. the adults topped with salsa and sour cream..
Tonight the kids asked that I make it again in lue of bean and cheese burritos. So I will do it with just refried beans, cheese and tortillas.

Blessings, Debra
Psalms 23:1 "The Lord is my shepherd I shall not want."
http://myvintagehome.com
http://debbieknits.net
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Ground beef recipes Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page