Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Stitching & Crafting Room
 New Apron(and more) Sew-a-long...cont. from before
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic New Apron(and more) Sew-a-long...cont. from before Next Topic
Page: of 598

Suzan
True Blue Farmgirl

659 Posts

suzanne
duncannon pa
USA
659 Posts

Posted - Mar 15 2009 :  11:52:47 AM  Show Profile
Yep, that's pretty much what they are like - they have a beautiful old Honeymoon treadle sitting there and I commented on and said I have been looking for one and she said she hoped not for making quilts on....kinda took me by surprise...

I have always been as you described, keep my eyes open and get what I like and can afford.
Go to Top of Page

queenofdreamsz4u
True Blue Farmgirl

3845 Posts

Stephanie Suzanne
Smoky Mountains Tennessee
USA
3845 Posts

Posted - Mar 15 2009 :  11:57:00 AM  Show Profile
Hey Carol, Glad to know you had to run for it too with the perm monster in residence..LOL

Suzanne, I did forget to say that if you ever decide to upgrade your sewing machine to always look in the sewing machine shops to see what they have that's been traded in..you can save $$$$$ on a nice machine that way...these upper end machines depreciate the way a car does.. My sister found me an older Pfaff serger in a thriftstore for $125..I had it serviced and it's like a new machine

If you don't care about all the fancy stitches you can find the vintage machines on Craigslist and Bonne will be more than happy to lead you to them!! LOL

Now I want a Singer 301 after seeing the one Grace (katmom) found for $50!!!! Me, Me, ME I'll take one at that price..LOL

Queen of Dreamsz ~ keeper of dream kingdom
www.queenofdreamsz.blogspot.com ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ My Creative Journey

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass…it's about learning to dance in the rain."
Go to Top of Page

Ronna
True Blue Farmgirl

1891 Posts

Ronna
Fernley NV
USA
1891 Posts

Posted - Mar 15 2009 :  11:58:27 AM  Show Profile
Uh oh, the thread snobs are in PA too :) When I bought the Viking Rose in about '96, they even dissed Gutterman...at least you can get it at Joanne with coupons. Same with the Bernina Artista now, supposedly anything but the best thread will clog up all the computerized stuff. I really don't want to take a chance, but that doesn't mean I'll buy at the quilt shop inflated prices. I've heard raves about the fabric and thread from Connecting Threads and it's reasonable. Fabric is $5.96 yd and they have a special for the first yard free when you buy fabric. Not sure of the code, can get it if anyone is interested. Don't remember the thread price, but it's decent too.
Pfaff, Viking and Singer are all owned by the same parent company now. IMHO, Bernina, Viking and Pfaff are the best machines, but each have their own features. Depends on your finances and how much you'll use your machine.
Quilters who only machine quilt....they should be bowing in front of anyone who wants to hand quilt, it's becoming a lost art. Get what you can from the classes and run fast :) Who needs to be with a bunch of snobby people in any situation. Now, shall I tell you how I really feel?
Go to Top of Page

Ronna
True Blue Farmgirl

1891 Posts

Ronna
Fernley NV
USA
1891 Posts

Posted - Mar 15 2009 :  12:03:14 PM  Show Profile
Steph, must be pics of me with the curls, when I come across I'll scan and post. I was a really blonde as a child and it never got more than light brown. You do know I collect Toni dolls...was my last doll as a child, when I was 7. Mother said we were too old for dolls. Now I have about a dozen, maybe more of them, including mine from childhood and the clothes she knit and sewed for her. Doll is in sad shape, was loved a lot. Hair is hanging by a thread, too many shampoos and haircuts. My sisters is still in mint shape, but then she was 12 when we got them.
Go to Top of Page

queenofdreamsz4u
True Blue Farmgirl

3845 Posts

Stephanie Suzanne
USA
3845 Posts

Posted - Mar 15 2009 :  12:09:28 PM  Show Profile
Yeah Ronna, tell me!!!! LMAO There are two quilting guilds in the area I'm in right now...I met a few of the ladies when my local quilt shop was still in business and they were complete snobs...Now the shop owner and I got along..she was much like I am...she told me one day after these ladies left that I should be careful joining in one of the guilds if I even thought about being late on a project.....well, of course, that alone keep me from ever trying..I'd be late for my own funeral..LOL

Anyhow, a bunch of snobs they are and way to serious about recreation!!! It's like job to them or something...never can figure out why some take the pleasure out of what supposed to be fun and relaxing.

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass…it's about learning to dance in the rain."
Go to Top of Page

queenofdreamsz4u
True Blue Farmgirl

3845 Posts

Stephanie Suzanne
USA
3845 Posts

Posted - Mar 15 2009 :  12:16:03 PM  Show Profile
Karin, your quilt is looking great and that clothespin bag is hilarious..I love it!! Puts a whole spin on how to take the ordinary to the extraordinary!

Edited by - queenofdreamsz4u on Mar 15 2009 12:17:09 PM
Go to Top of Page

DeepsouthMamma
True Blue Farmgirl

1454 Posts

Autumn
Southwest Louisiana
USA
1454 Posts

Posted - Mar 15 2009 :  1:48:11 PM  Show Profile
Suzan- I only hand quilt- it's my favorite part. With practice and ****humbly said***** good thread it is a breeze.
I do several a year among other projects and it can be done well and relatively fast.
My kids are truists- they sneer at machine quilting- I have to remind them it is an art within itself!!! I cannot master that skill- at least not yet!! And it's a long ways from being number one on the list- spinning comes first!

Experience will teach you which supplies and what qualities work best for YOU! Some of the most beautiful pieces ever constructed were out of cast off fabrics in pioneer days !!!!!!!
Where was Gutterman then???

Blessings,
Autumn
Farmgirl #49
http://simplytoday-autumn.blogspot.com/

Isaiah 40:31
But they that wait upon the LORD shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint.
Go to Top of Page

sewgirlie
True Blue Farmgirl

1894 Posts

Sheryl-lyn
Calverton NY
USA
1894 Posts

Posted - Mar 15 2009 :  1:52:50 PM  Show Profile
Suzan: I have been quilting for at least 20 years and have used whatever fabric I could afford and whatever machine I could afford. I do notice that my "better" fabrics hold their color and shape a little better, but I mix and match fabrics from Walmart with the more costly ones, and they do fine together. It's always a sales pitch when you are at the quilt store, so just know that and do your own thing.

My quilting and life blog!!
http://downtoearthliving.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

sewgirlie
True Blue Farmgirl

1894 Posts

Sheryl-lyn
Calverton NY
USA
1894 Posts

Posted - Mar 15 2009 :  1:54:25 PM  Show Profile
oh, and my mom forced a perm on me when I already had very curly "frizzy" hair! I looked like I was in a constant state of surprise and fear for those few months.

Go to Top of Page

sewgirlie
True Blue Farmgirl

1894 Posts

Sheryl-lyn
Calverton NY
USA
1894 Posts

Posted - Mar 15 2009 :  2:05:27 PM  Show Profile
Last night I finished my last block-of-the-month quilt top. The colors for the blocks are chosen by the teacher, and we could "frame" the blocks with our own color choices. It's on my blog now. I think you will find this a little different than the repro/vintage quilts I usually make.

Hey, thanks for the comments on my hair!! I still like it and find it easy to style like the hairdresser did. We will see if I get up earlier to do it before school tomorrow!

Go to Top of Page

Mumof3
True Blue Farmgirl

3890 Posts

Karin
Ellenwood GA
USA
3890 Posts

Posted - Mar 15 2009 :  2:07:37 PM  Show Profile
Sheryl-lyn- Your quilt is beautiful!!

Karin

Farmgirl Sister
# 18 :)

www.perfectlittlemiracle.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Ronna
True Blue Farmgirl

1891 Posts

Ronna
Fernley NV
USA
1891 Posts

Posted - Mar 15 2009 :  2:28:04 PM  Show Profile
Sheryl-lyn, all of your quilts are spectacular! Love your hair too, a little shaping makes it easier to fall into place.
Go to Top of Page

sewgirlie
True Blue Farmgirl

1894 Posts

Sheryl-lyn
Calverton NY
USA
1894 Posts

Posted - Mar 15 2009 :  2:30:29 PM  Show Profile
Thanks! As much as I love the hair now, the quilts are always what excite me! :)

Go to Top of Page

electricdunce
True Blue Farmgirl

2544 Posts

Karin
Belmont ME
USA
2544 Posts

Posted - Mar 15 2009 :  3:10:09 PM  Show Profile
Lovely quilt, Sheryl-lyn, and I love the tea cozy you got. You make such beautiful quilts....

Suzan, I would use whatever fabric I had around, but it is true, some are better than others. As far as the cutters go, if it works for you (I have the same kind, nonergonomic) that is all that matters. You don't need the most expensive ruler on the market either. Jeez, it sounds like the quilt Nazis at work. And for anyone to think hand quilting is a waste of time or not a smart thing to do, they are just from a whole nother place. I am not a great hand quilter, but I love to do it, and I am perfectly happy with what I turn out. Just take the useful stuff with you and forget about the rest.

I just finished piecing my nine patch quilt, so I need to take a break. Had to shell out for my fourth mailbox of the year too, I'd much rather spend it on fabric. Ah well

Farmgirl Sister #153

"Give me shelter from the storm" - Bob Dylan
http://moodranch.blogspot.com
http://domesticnonsense.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

homemom
True Blue Farmgirl

1593 Posts

Ruth
Warwick RI
USA
1593 Posts

Posted - Mar 15 2009 :  4:17:46 PM  Show Profile
Ladies~What is a good thread? The only fabric place we have around here is Joannes. I think there is one more place in a nearby town that has better fabrics. There's a quilt shop I know of not too far from here but they are definitely snobs and their prices are crazy. I couldn't shop in there. Made me feel very weird when I went there once.

Sheryl-lyn and Karin~your quilts are awesome. Absolutely amazing.

Bonne~I like to do things inexpensively, or cheaply, like you. Any tips and I am thrilled.

Ruth

Living the farm life in my heart.
http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/Ruth
http://farmgirlinmyheart.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

queenofdreamsz4u
True Blue Farmgirl

3845 Posts

Stephanie Suzanne
USA
3845 Posts

Posted - Mar 15 2009 :  4:27:49 PM  Show Profile
Ruth, I've used every kind of thread in my machine..I can't say which is better or worse..just depends on how your machine likes it and the type of fabric and thicknesses you are working with. I know some threads are wound wonky and happen to be some of the expensive ones so price isn't always the indicator.

Go to Top of Page

homemom
True Blue Farmgirl

1593 Posts

Ruth
Warwick RI
USA
1593 Posts

Posted - Mar 15 2009 :  4:30:52 PM  Show Profile
Thanks, Steph! I have a newer computerized Brother. The thread I have used isn't expensive but works ok in it so far.

Ruth

Living the farm life in my heart.
http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/Ruth
http://farmgirlinmyheart.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

queenofdreamsz4u
True Blue Farmgirl

3845 Posts

Stephanie Suzanne
USA
3845 Posts

Posted - Mar 15 2009 :  4:36:28 PM  Show Profile
Sheryl-lyn, I saw all of the wood at the Aunt's property...how much does a cord of wood sell for up there? Just curious..it's been so long since I've bought wood but will be again soon since Thomas will not be home to be a woodsman. I'll be pricing it in my area when I get there so I can stock up during the year and be ready for next winter.

Go to Top of Page

sewgirlie
True Blue Farmgirl

1894 Posts

Sheryl-lyn
Calverton NY
USA
1894 Posts

Posted - Mar 15 2009 :  4:46:36 PM  Show Profile
Steph: Kenny says the wood in cords is about 200-250 here. He says when you are ready to buy it when you move, look on Craigs list. There will be people in your area selling it and you can see the prices.

Go to Top of Page

Ronna
True Blue Farmgirl

1891 Posts

Ronna
Fernley NV
USA
1891 Posts

Posted - Mar 15 2009 :  5:01:43 PM  Show Profile
Ruth, check out www.connectingthreads.com They've developed and marketed threads that get good reviews and are affordable. Promo code for a free yard of their $5.96 fabric is FP596 until 5/1/09

Edited by - Ronna on Mar 15 2009 5:15:49 PM
Go to Top of Page

Carol Sue
True Blue Farmgirl

4033 Posts

Carol Sue
Washingtonian
USA
4033 Posts

Posted - Mar 15 2009 :  5:09:17 PM  Show Profile
Haircuts and quilting, what is fun is that I never know what the subject will be. Yep, took a day off yesterday and looked like crazy for the cord, decided I am stopping for right now cause it is driving me nuts. Time to do something else....

Yes, had very long hair, mom decided in grade school that I needed a change, took me to the beauty school and gave me a pixie, dang did I cry. Yep, had those home perms as well.
Does this mean we are telling our ages....lol, yes, the rubber curlers too.....lmbo

Quilting stores, hmmmm they are a whole nother bunch of subject. I have learned that some stores are great and friendly and the best, others are snobbery at the best.
My friend, did an experiment, she made 3 quilts small ones, one out of Walmart fabric, one out of Joannnes, which is medium range and one from a quilt shop. The one thing she did learn is that Walmarts fabric did wear out sooner, then Joanns, then the quilt shop held. So yes,there can be a difference in that. But it all depends what you are making it for. You can tie quilts too and they are great.
Learn what you are comfortable with have fun with it. That is the most important part of it. It is for fun, your form of art creation, and besides it makes you happy!!!!

www.Quitemoments.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Mar 15 2009 :  5:46:59 PM  Show Profile
Steph, Yes that was me! There are about 200 people that live here! Most of the shops close at 5p.m. The nice thing about it, is it's pretty quiet around here! It's about 2 1/2 hours to Las Vegas and that's the closest big city!

Suzanne, I am over on the west of Arizona. Close to Needles,California and Laughlin,Nevada!

My comment of quilting or even sewing thread would be to be careful if you buy it from Walmart! If it looks all fuzzy then you might want to pass on it! Bad thread can make your machine do all kinds of weird stuff like skip stitches! If you have a serger stay away from those big cones they sell at Walmart unless they look smooth!

Luckily, I don't have a horror stories about my mom perming my hair!

I hope you all have a good evening! We are off to church here in town for a pot luck supper in a bit!

Okay, say a prayer I don't punch my hubby in the nose! He is really annoying me right now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
www.justducky48.blogspot.com

Edited by - oldfashioned girl on Mar 15 2009 5:48:43 PM
Go to Top of Page

Ronna
True Blue Farmgirl

1891 Posts

Ronna
Fernley NV
USA
1891 Posts

Posted - Mar 15 2009 :  6:03:32 PM  Show Profile
Update on those Walmarts that still have fabric depts. More are going away, as stores come up for remodeling. I was talking to the lady in one store and she says eventually all are slated to be discontinued. I agreed with her that Sam Walton is doing flip flops in his grave. Part of the issue is paying an associate to be in the dept to cut fabric and they don't feel it's cost effective. Sad for those who don't have other options for buying fabric. The one store in Reno had 25% off all fabric, will go to 50 and 75 as time passes.
I've never bought anything but remnants there, but know the quality is not too good if you're making a quilt or something you'd want around in a few years. for kids clothes that will be outgrown or thrased, might be okay. When my daughter was little, my MIL would make her clothes with dime store fabric that looked like a rag after a couple washings. I asked if I could buy the fabric and both of us were happy with that. I bought at Penneys (only other place local to buy) or from Montgomery Wards catalog.
Go to Top of Page

Ronna
True Blue Farmgirl

1891 Posts

Ronna
Fernley NV
USA
1891 Posts

Posted - Mar 15 2009 :  6:05:51 PM  Show Profile
Monica, I think we'll be in your general area in a couple weeks. Larry mentioned maybe going to Las Vegas for drag racing in early April. As usual, we'll be at the track all day, eat and hit the motel for the night. Never did get to see my aunt while she was living there. Now she's in SoCalif, so I'll go there to see her and my cousin this spring.
Go to Top of Page

queenofdreamsz4u
True Blue Farmgirl

3845 Posts

Stephanie Suzanne
USA
3845 Posts

Posted - Mar 15 2009 :  6:17:35 PM  Show Profile
Ok, Monica...I don't want to read a headline of "Lady knocks out husband at church potluck dinner!"

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 598 Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic New Apron(and more) Sew-a-long...cont. from before Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page