Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Stitching & Crafting Room
 New Apron(and more) Sew-a-long...cont. from before
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic New Apron(and more) Sew-a-long...cont. from before Next Topic
Page: of 598

queenofdreamsz4u
True Blue Farmgirl

3845 Posts

Stephanie Suzanne
Smoky Mountains Tennessee
USA
3845 Posts

Posted - Mar 14 2009 :  6:41:45 PM  Show Profile

Queen of Dreamsz ~ keeper of dream kingdom
www.queenofdreamsz.blogspot.com ~~~~~~My Creative Journey

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass…it's about learning to dance in the rain."
Go to Top of Page

Bonne
True Blue Farmgirl

3003 Posts

Bonne
Littleton CO
USA
3003 Posts

Posted - Mar 14 2009 :  6:56:29 PM  Show Profile
Sheryl-lyn, your hair is so pretty! I'm betting you have some strawberry-blondes in the family.
I had a couple school friends with that color and their other siblings were redheads.

http://bonne1313.blogspot.com/ BLOG
Go to Top of Page

queenofdreamsz4u
True Blue Farmgirl

3845 Posts

Stephanie Suzanne
USA
3845 Posts

Posted - Mar 14 2009 :  6:58:45 PM  Show Profile
I know I was just at her blog looking..it's so pretty. That candy shop made me dizzy...convulsions for chocolate!

www.queenofdreamsz.blogspot.com ~~~~~~My Creative Journey

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass…it's about learning to dance in the rain."
Go to Top of Page

Bonne
True Blue Farmgirl

3003 Posts

Bonne
Littleton CO
USA
3003 Posts

Posted - Mar 14 2009 :  6:59:18 PM  Show Profile
Oh, heck! Why do men get those lovely streaks too!? I know my hair wouldn't be flattering as natural at all, because when my mother didn't dye her hair it was unbecoming and she called herself "gramma grump" until she colored it. lol

Go to Top of Page

queenofdreamsz4u
True Blue Farmgirl

3845 Posts

Stephanie Suzanne
USA
3845 Posts

Posted - Mar 14 2009 :  7:05:27 PM  Show Profile
Bonne, my mom was a beautician when I was a baby and specialized in perms and color! I think that's why I'm finally growing my hair to my butt because all of my childhood she would get ahold of mine hair and cut it OFF or perm it..LOL She was always a bleached blonde..I was blonde streaks for two decades and now the grey ones are looking pretty good. I think I got the pretty streaks from my dad's mother..

www.queenofdreamsz.blogspot.com ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ My Creative Journey

Go to Top of Page

DeepsouthMamma
True Blue Farmgirl

1454 Posts

Autumn
Southwest Louisiana
USA
1454 Posts

Posted - Mar 14 2009 :  7:36:46 PM  Show Profile
Yep! That's my hair-on Thomas!!!!!!!!!!!
His is actually a prettier color!

Sherlyn- your new hair do is adorable! Very cool and ...."covergirl" looking!!!!Wish I had hair that behaved!!!!

My hubby wore his hair long- in rebellion to his very strictly conservative dad and mine(like Steph's) stayed short as mom experimented with it constantly!!!!
I won't color or cut it now because of all the hideous things she did to it. She meant well- but my hair was not normal and the lomger it is the more manageable it becomes- I can tame it with braids,clips and such I guess. She never let it get long to find that out.

Blessings,
Autumn
Farmgirl #49
http://simplytoday-autumn.blogspot.com/

Isaiah 40:31
But they that wait upon the LORD shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint.
Go to Top of Page

ranchetta
True Blue Farmgirl

318 Posts

carol
Marysville Wahington
USA
318 Posts

Posted - Mar 14 2009 :  8:05:33 PM  Show Profile
Ahhhhh, Steph, I found you! Thanks for the direction. I too, am envious of your locks....I have to buy mine and add them to what little hair I have...LOL!

Monica, what fun to find you here! Hope we can arrange to get together sometime this week as we e-mailed earlier. I've really been looking forward to it! (All company is gone and I'm going to take a day just for myself so we can visit.)

http://curlywillowsranch.blogspot.com/
http://alteredshots.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Mar 14 2009 :  8:18:58 PM  Show Profile
Carol, We will absolutely have to get together!! It would be so very nice to talk to someone in person who actually gets the whole farmgirl thing as opposed to getting a blank look!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
www.justducky48.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

queenofdreamsz4u
True Blue Farmgirl

3845 Posts

Stephanie Suzanne
USA
3845 Posts

Posted - Mar 14 2009 :  9:15:58 PM  Show Profile
Autumn, I feel better now knowing that I wasn't alone in the Mother's Experimentation!! Good grief..I used to run from her..LOL

Hey Carol, YAY..you found us! I know there are hundreds of pages...don't worry about that just pick up where we are and run with it. Do come back! Tell us what you are doing. I already know you like playing with graphic design like I do so I'm sure everyone will enjoy looking at your blogs..

Go to Top of Page

Ronna
True Blue Farmgirl

1891 Posts

Ronna
Fernley NV
USA
1891 Posts

Posted - Mar 14 2009 :  9:30:01 PM  Show Profile
Since I'm older than any of you (I think), my mother set my hair in tiny rubber curlers after washing on Sunday night and Monday would carefully take the curlers out to leave "shirley temple" curls. I made sure to mess up my hair that day so it would be brushed out Tuesday morning. Guess I've always been a rebel. I did it quietly and got away with it, where my sister would make a big stink and they fought constantly as far back as I can remember. Mother did the same with her mother. Black sheep here for sure.
Mother forbid me to "peroxide" my hair, but her sweet gay hairdresser did it for me one summer and had me stay outside in the sun for a long time before washing it out. Had to have been about 11 then.
Speaking of hair, I have to go bathe my lab Shelby. A cat must have pooped in the front yard and she naturally rolled in it. Yuck, Larry's the dog bather and he's at work.

Edited by - Ronna on Mar 14 2009 10:11:09 PM
Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Mar 14 2009 :  10:11:06 PM  Show Profile
Okay, if you all want to see pics of the town where I live, click on Carol's blog! www.curlywillowsranch.blogspot.com .

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
www.justducky48.blogspot.com

Edited by - oldfashioned girl on Mar 14 2009 10:11:40 PM
Go to Top of Page

queenofdreamsz4u
True Blue Farmgirl

3845 Posts

Stephanie Suzanne
USA
3845 Posts

Posted - Mar 14 2009 :  10:45:28 PM  Show Profile
Ronna, you got any childhood pictures of those ringlets? Would love to see that.

Go to Top of Page

queenofdreamsz4u
True Blue Farmgirl

3845 Posts

Stephanie Suzanne
USA
3845 Posts

Posted - Mar 14 2009 :  11:02:10 PM  Show Profile
Hey Monica, Wow....what a cute little town..what big city are you closest to? I know you've said you were a good distance....Didn't you say there are only 200 people?? Maybe I'm thinking of somewhere else...now I'm curious...

It really is a small world when you think of how we meet people and find out they live around the corner or someone they know lives fairly close.

Carol, thanks for that post..I really enjoyed looking. Where in Washionton state are you the other part of the time?

Go to Top of Page

Lavendar fields dreamer
True Blue Farmgirl

1032 Posts

little monkeys mommy
washington
USA
1032 Posts

Posted - Mar 15 2009 :  03:47:43 AM  Show Profile
love that haircut

and i forgot everything else that i was going to say

hope you guys have a great sunday. i am off to go back to sleep

lavendar girl
http://lavendarfieldsdreamer.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

DeepsouthMamma
True Blue Farmgirl

1454 Posts

Autumn
Southwest Louisiana
USA
1454 Posts

Posted - Mar 15 2009 :  06:53:09 AM  Show Profile
Monica!!! How cool! That lil town is the best!!!
I never put the names together till you mentioned it!

Lucky you & Carol!
Hi there Carol- I enjoyed my mini vacation on your blog!!!!

Blessings,
Autumn
Farmgirl #49
http://simplytoday-autumn.blogspot.com/

Isaiah 40:31
But they that wait upon the LORD shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint.
Go to Top of Page

homemom
True Blue Farmgirl

1593 Posts

Ruth
Warwick RI
USA
1593 Posts

Posted - Mar 15 2009 :  07:21:24 AM  Show Profile
Carol~i love all the pictures on your blog. Welcome. It was like a little vacation visiting your blog. I love that little town.

Steph & Autumn~ at least your mothers were hairdressers. My mother was not even close and she would get tired of combing and washing my long hair and give me horrendous bowl cuts. I hated them and would just cry. My father would get mad at her because he like my hair long. I still remember him washing, blow drying and brushing my hair many times. He had more patience for that than my mother.

Monica~I love the town you live in. It is so cute.

Ruth

Living the farm life in my heart.
http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/Ruth
http://farmgirlinmyheart.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Bonne
True Blue Farmgirl

3003 Posts

Bonne
Littleton CO
USA
3003 Posts

Posted - Mar 15 2009 :  10:14:36 AM  Show Profile
Oh, for pete's sake. I'd always have to get a perm RIGHT b/4 a major event as a child. Usually Christmas, so there I am as the angel in the Christmas play for kindergarten with all this frizzed up hair. My mom gave up on perming my hair after the age of 6 or 7, then she resorted to short cuts done by my sister. I hated having my hair yanked on; oh the tears!!! so long hair was out of the question as a kid. **sigh** I think all our mothers were doing the same thing to us. Borders on child abuse these days~lol

Fab blog Carol! I love the horsehair pottery & the story about Olive Oatman was fascinating.

Edited by - Bonne on Mar 15 2009 10:32:45 AM
Go to Top of Page

Suzan
True Blue Farmgirl

659 Posts

suzanne
duncannon pa
USA
659 Posts

Posted - Mar 15 2009 :  10:42:06 AM  Show Profile
Carol, Great pics of Oatman - Monica, that looks like an interesting place to live! what part of Arizona are you in?

Ronna, I got the curlers too but more often I got my hair tied up in rags to make long sausage curls, they really were pretty but I could never get my girls' hair to do it (nor would they let me). My younger sister has naturally curly hair so it didn't take much for her sausage curls. I got the home perms though too.

Now I have given up curlers and curling irons, but do still have to color about every 8 weeks - just can't seem to get past that hurdle. Keep it short though and what doesn't happen with a brush and blow dryer in 3 minutes doesn't happen at all.
Go to Top of Page

electricdunce
True Blue Farmgirl

2544 Posts

Karin
Belmont ME
USA
2544 Posts

Posted - Mar 15 2009 :  10:49:44 AM  Show Profile
My mother and her sister, Ena, had very very curly hair when they were young. I have these great pictures of them with their hair brushed into these wonderful sort of haystacks. The kids at school would tease them , they called them Hottentot and Hy-Ena. My hair didn't get curly until I hit puberty and then when I went through menopause I lost most of the curl.

I always remember those ads from the late fifties of the Toni and the Tonette perms that had ads on television and in magazines. They were a little scary then. Now I'm sure they would be banned by the government, I just shudder to think of the chemicals they used in them. I remember the old ladies who would get perms and then not comb them out for a week, they'd have these little sausages all over their heads.

I posted a couple pictures on my blog., my photos keep getting worse and worse looking, I wonder what I'm doing wrong.

Bonne, that wonderful shea lotion you sent me is such lovely stuff, my hands feel so much better.

Right, time for more caffeine, I have to get moving here...

Karin

Farmgirl Sister #153

"Give me shelter from the storm" - Bob Dylan
http://moodranch.blogspot.com
http://domesticnonsense.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

countrynmore
True Blue Farmgirl

1975 Posts

Sharon
CA
USA
1975 Posts

Posted - Mar 15 2009 :  10:58:06 AM  Show Profile
I had straight hair growing up. It is now wavy. I had two perms in my lifetime (in junior high school and as an adult) My youngest son has curly hair. My dh had curly hair as a young child, but it went straight.

www.countrynmore.com

www.[censored]rygl.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Suzan
True Blue Farmgirl

659 Posts

suzanne
duncannon pa
USA
659 Posts

Posted - Mar 15 2009 :  11:12:55 AM  Show Profile
Question for you all: I've taken a couple quilting classes the last couple weeks and they really stress high quality fabrics, threads, equipment. I thought mine wasn't too bad, I have an Olfa rotary cutter, but it's not the ergonomic one, I have Fiskars 6" x 24" gridded quilting ruler but they took exception that it isn't Creative Grids, is it really necessary to use Guttermann's thread? I guess I'm really wondering how you all feel about these things? Fabrics, threads, etc. Now I know my machine needs upgraded, I used to have these older ones of my MIL's that weighed a ton and after the one quit working (and I really wasn't doing much besides mending) I got rid of it and bought a little inexpensive Brother to use for mending. Now that I'm back to sewing and doing alot more garment sewing and now making the quilt blocks on the machine I do need to get a better machine - they completely believe in Pfaff at their shop...
Go to Top of Page

ranchetta
True Blue Farmgirl

318 Posts

carol
Marysville Wahington
USA
318 Posts

Posted - Mar 15 2009 :  11:29:30 AM  Show Profile
Oh, no all this brings back BAD memories (I'm 59) of the frizzy home permed messes that some of our mothers experimented on...I know my mother's motto was: "Carol can run but she cannot hide!" LOL!!!

Glad I found you guys!

http://curlywillowsranch.blogspot.com/
http://alteredshots.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Bonne
True Blue Farmgirl

3003 Posts

Bonne
Littleton CO
USA
3003 Posts

Posted - Mar 15 2009 :  11:35:37 AM  Show Profile
Oh, my, Jess and I would launch into a diatribe about how we do things on the cheap with old vintage machines, fabric on clearance etc etc. and how it's the high-end quilters that have run up the price of simple cotton fabrics, but to each her own. I'm trying to be more tolerant.Trying mind you. I never accept opinions as gospel~try things out for yourself and see what YOU like.

Go to Top of Page

Suzan
True Blue Farmgirl

659 Posts

suzanne
duncannon pa
USA
659 Posts

Posted - Mar 15 2009 :  11:43:51 AM  Show Profile
Thanks,Bonne, I was starting to think it was me....they also only machine quilt and have no time for hand quilting but I intend to hand quilt, I guess each to their own. Anyways this weeks class is on bindings and then I'll be done. I did get some good info out of it all, I started my blocks last fall and can definitely improve now.
Go to Top of Page

queenofdreamsz4u
True Blue Farmgirl

3845 Posts

Stephanie Suzanne
USA
3845 Posts

Posted - Mar 15 2009 :  11:48:35 AM  Show Profile
Suzanne,

When you are taking classes in quilt shops or that matter any shops offering classes that happens to be some kind of machine dealer they will always stress the best fabrics and the best machine you can afford..because they want to sell all of it to you..LOL

So having said that....you have to enjoy the process with the materials and equipment that fit your budget. Don't let them intimidate you with those details.

If I were taking a quilting class right now I'd be walking in with my vintage featherweight machine that only does a straight stitch or my 10 year old Babylock Esante that in their minds would be totally obsolete. They work perfect..end of story! LOL

My advice is to stick with the machine and the fabrics that fit your budget and let them know that you are happy with what you have! And the same goes for your rulers...as you go along you may want some different ones but til that time comes stick with what you have...No need to *fix something that isn't broke*, ya know? Now of course, if you have machine fever and really want a new one then nobody knows better than you what you can do.

I love the quilt shops since you can find fabric that none of the mainstream fabric stores are carrying but my fabric comes from a combination of all of them.

Some shops can be a bit snotty about using inexpensive fabric while others mind their business and are happy to have you as a customer any way they can get you.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 598 Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic New Apron(and more) Sew-a-long...cont. from before Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page