Printer Friendly
Author Garden Gate: Previous Topic seven? Next Topic  

Whimsy_girl
True Blue Farmgirl

576 Posts

USA
576 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2005 :  11:33:21 PM  Show Profile
I was asking around at the farmers market about how they keep the earwigs out of their corn as I am having a problem with them and they told me to get some seven. They say it is a pesticide but it is approved for organic use....Does anyone have any insight on this stuff?

you can be oh so smart, or you can be oh so positive. I wasted a lot of time being smart I prefer being positive. James Stewart in the movie HARVEY

Fabulous Farm Femmes
True Blue Farmgirl

792 Posts

Diane
Lakebay, Tacoma WA
792 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2005 :  11:46:18 PM  Show Profile  Send Fabulous Farm Femmes an AOL message
I'm pretty sure it's spelled Sevin and I think it is not organic, (unless I am wrong?). I remember using it years ago and it kills everything,I would be really careful. How about Diatomaceuos Earth? It's more pricey, best used in dry weather but you don't have to worry about killing the whole eco system using it.
Go to Top of Page

ThymeForEweFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

705 Posts

Robin
An organic farm in the forest in Maine
USA
705 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2005 :  03:35:56 AM  Show Profile
You're right, it is not organic.

Pyrethrin is another organic alternative that works on earwigs. Natural Planet carries it. You still need to be careful with natural chemicals. It's all chemical. Some are natural, some are synthetic.

You can collect a lot of earwigs by giving them a cool dark spot to go into during the day. A board will work as long as it's not sitting flush with the soil. When you lift the soil start stomping before they scatter.

Robin
Thyme For Ewe Farm
www.thymeforewe.com
Go to Top of Page

Eileen
True Blue Farmgirl

1199 Posts

Eileen

USA
1199 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2005 :  12:08:32 PM  Show Profile
Or when you lift the board be sure all your chickens are there waiting for a treet!
Eileen

songbird; singing joy to the earth
Go to Top of Page

Whimsy_girl
True Blue Farmgirl

576 Posts

USA
576 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2005 :  12:24:49 AM  Show Profile
chickens sure sound like the way to go in the earwig department.. my husband thinks they are too nasty to keep up with, so I don't think I'll be able to get any.. I really wouldn't mind one.. One measly chicken can't be THAT much work.. We also have a cat problem out here though so I don't think it would live very long on our property.

you can be oh so smart, or you can be oh so positive. I wasted a lot of time being smart I prefer being positive. James Stewart in the movie HARVEY
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2005 :  08:23:43 AM  Show Profile
Sevin is definitely not an organic product. Pyrethrin is a good organic pecticide but you have to be careful when using it because it kills everything including beneficial bugs. Try Gardens Alive online as an informational source to see what they would recommend. Then you could buy it locally since you need it right away. I totally hate earwigs -- came in from the garden the other day and one was crawling on my shirt. I think it fell out of my hair -- YUCK! I've heard that a rolled up damp newspaper left on the ground is a good way to catch them.

Kay - Living in Beautiful Washington State

"You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face."
--Eleanor Roosevelt
Go to Top of Page

DaisyFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

1646 Posts

Diane
Victoria BC
Canada
1646 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2005 :  09:46:44 AM  Show Profile
Sevin is a carbaryl insecticide and like Kay said, kills just about everything. It is extremely toxic to honey bees...and just so you know, this is the product of choice if they decide to spray for mosquitos to control west nile.

Live a good and honorable life. Then when you get older and think back, you'll be able to enjoy it a second time.
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2005 :  09:54:15 AM  Show Profile
We have had lots more earwigs this year than in the past three years since we moved here. Since it was a wet spring and a hot July we have just had more bugs in general I think this summer.

Jenny in Utah
The best things in life arn't things!
Go to Top of Page

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2005 :  4:30:37 PM  Show Profile
Sevin is also the pesticide used to control Gypsy Moth infestations used by municipalities. Bt is the biological control that breaks down after 48 hours. Sevin is definitely NOT organic and I would not use it ever on an edible crop. LDL levels and application times not withstanding, it is best to always err on the side of non chemical solutions for edible crops especially. I used to place soda cans with the opening side down to the soil and we would catch alot that you can just plug up the can and dispose of. Didn't think to try diatomaceous earth because of earwigs crunchy exoskeletons but do use pyrethrin with good results for many things.We haven't had many earwigs this year which is unusual, but the box elders and a multitude of big crunchy beetles and locust have been overwhelming!

with a happy heart
Go to Top of Page

Whimsy_girl
True Blue Farmgirl

576 Posts

USA
576 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2005 :  7:41:06 PM  Show Profile
Bramble, the reason you don't have many is because they all came to hang out at MY house :)

Hal brought home pepsi last night so I can try that pop can idea... Seems like I have way too many for that to help THAT much but anything that gets them out of my corn will be great.

Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic seven? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page