Phils Ann
True Blue Farmgirl

1095 Posts

Ann
Parsonsburg Maryland
USA
1095 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2007 :  5:46:34 PM  Show Profile
came today right into the box. I expected Nov. first as the "due date", so this was a really happy surprise! We have Buff Orpingtons, Barred Rocks and Delawares, which are a cross between Barred Rock and New Hampshire. Anyone familiar with them? I suspect they're the 1940's version of a high production layer, and the type that layed so early. What good girls--all of them!

Ann
Sairy Hill Thicket
There is a Redeemer.

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2007 :  6:57:40 PM  Show Profile
EGG-Sighting

I love going in and picking up those fresh eggs from my girls - congrat's.

Grace Gerber
Larkspur Funny Farm and Fiber Art Studio

Where the spirits are high and the fiber is deep
http://www.larkspurfunnyfarm.etsy.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.blogspot.com
http://www.flickr.com/photos/larkspurfunnyfarm
Go to Top of Page

Libbie
Farmgirl Connection Cultivator

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2007 :  8:40:32 PM  Show Profile
Oh, Ann!!! CONGRATULATIONS! Isn't it egg-citing (okay, I had to do that...). But really - it's so wonderful that now you'll be getting eggs. There is just no comparison to store-bought. And I just know those feathery gals love their "moat." I have Buff Orpingtons and Aurucanas (did I spell that correctly?) - aren't the Buffs pretty?

XOXO, Libbie

Go to Top of Page

DaisyFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

1646 Posts

Diane
Victoria BC
Canada
1646 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2007 :  8:50:59 PM  Show Profile
That is so exciting Ann, just like Christmas morning, right? I remember the first little pullet egg I got from our first laying hens. People thought I was nuts, I was so excited and had to show everyone!
Oh well...simple things, simple pleasures.
Di
Go to Top of Page

Shirley
True Blue Farmgirl

734 Posts

Shirley
Olympia Wa
USA
734 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2007 :  11:31:25 PM  Show Profile
years ago when I got my first banties, 1 rooster,2 hens
I sat out there and waited for the first egg. ROFL
shirley
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2007 :  12:02:51 AM  Show Profile
How exciting!! I have had chickens since I was a kid and always have loved that first egg from new gals...when I have moved several times and havn't been able to take my old hens I have started over with new ones...it is just as exciting each time!!
Only about another month or so until Katiedid should get her first egg from her hens!

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2007 :  05:51:51 AM  Show Profile
Yay! You probably feel like I did when I dug my first potato!

If you can catch one, hug her!

"She was built like a watch, a study in balance ... with a neck and head so refined, like a drawing by DaVinci"...
NY Newsday sportswriter Bill Nack describing filly, Ruffian.
Go to Top of Page

Phils Ann
True Blue Farmgirl

1095 Posts

Ann
Parsonsburg Maryland
USA
1095 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2007 :  10:10:31 AM  Show Profile
LOL, would anyone else understand besides you girls? Phil's calling me a "Grandma" (Yes, he knows they aren't even fertile eggs) I hope the roosters aren't teaching them the facts of life yet, however... they're still my little girls, whereas those roosters are acting like hormone driven teens.

The egg had a wonderful deep orange yolk--mmmmm. I'm obsessing.

Libbie, the Buffs are gorgeous. The Barred Rocks are sweet. And the Delawares are curious and brave, the first to come and peck on us. All different in their own ways. And, yes, the moat means they have lots of space to run... or waddle

Shirley, that is funny, but did you get to see it happen? Did you say, "ouch"?

Ann
Sairy Hill Thicket
There is a Redeemer.

Edited by - Phils Ann on Sep 14 2007 10:13:39 AM
Go to Top of Page

Phils Ann
True Blue Farmgirl

1095 Posts

Ann
Parsonsburg Maryland
USA
1095 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2007 :  10:15:57 AM  Show Profile
Jonni, it is a bit like digging the first potato! You have no idea what you'll find until you dig, and it's so exciting to bring up the treasure. And, I'd love to hug any of the girls, but they're not in favor of it, so I restrain myself.

Ann
Sairy Hill Thicket
There is a Redeemer.
Go to Top of Page

therealshari
True Blue Farmgirl

235 Posts

Shari
Beryl UT
USA
235 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2007 :  10:57:07 AM  Show Profile  Send therealshari a Yahoo! Message
Congrats Ann!

I know eggs-actly how you feel. I found our first egg last week. We had to wait 4 more days to get the second one, and the third one was the first to land in the box. That was yesterday.

The chickens are really "Mom's", but I take the most care of them. You can't imagine how hard it is for me to find the eggs first... No matter what, today, I'm not telling her...

Ok, off to check the boxes

Shari Thomas
farmer, web copywriter, blogger
Shari's Gone Country
Vote for me at "Blog for a year"
Go to Top of Page

Phils Ann
True Blue Farmgirl

1095 Posts

Ann
Parsonsburg Maryland
USA
1095 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2007 :  2:45:41 PM  Show Profile
Shari, I'm laughing. I hope you get that egg today! I just looked at our boxes... and the floor, but no deal. A Delaware talked loudly to me the whole time and I offered to watch if she'd just go ahead and lay.

Ann
Sairy Hill Thicket
There is a Redeemer.
Go to Top of Page

Canadian farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

482 Posts

Lori
Ontario
Canada
482 Posts

Posted - Sep 15 2007 :  07:01:45 AM  Show Profile
Do you gals keep a golf ball in each nest box? I did that to teach my girls where the eggs were supposed to go, and it worked well.
Go to Top of Page

Phils Ann
True Blue Farmgirl

1095 Posts

Ann
Parsonsburg Maryland
USA
1095 Posts

Posted - Sep 15 2007 :  08:23:51 AM  Show Profile
Thanks for the tip, Lori. I haven't done a thing yet. There wasn't even straw in the boxes until after the egg appeared because they like to get in there and poop.

Ann
Sairy Hill Thicket
There is a Redeemer.
Go to Top of Page

Brew Crew
True Blue Farmgirl

676 Posts

Molly
Arizona
676 Posts

Posted - Sep 15 2007 :  12:26:33 PM  Show Profile
My poor hens had no idea where to lay at first. I actually found my first egg under a tree one day. Not even sure what day it was laid-- but I didn't eat it so I just thought it was funny. I actually poked a hole in both ends and blew the inside out. My SIL who makes jewelry came over and helped me make a beautiful Christmas tree ornament out of it. We painted it with a couple coats of clear nail polish to strengthen it used some of her jewelry wire and know-how, and wah-la! Kind of silly, maybe, but I was SOOOO excited. Glad I have it now, a few years later it's fun to see it on the tree and remember!

"There is a Happy Dale far, far away. . ." -Arsenic and Old Lace
Go to Top of Page

BlueRoseMama
True Blue Farmgirl

51 Posts

Val

51 Posts

Posted - Sep 16 2007 :  04:30:18 AM  Show Profile
CONGRATULATIONS! Mine should be any day now. :) My chickens are starting to do the "clucking" thing too... like they are getting ready for something... that is so exciting!

Val

Val ~ I am a whole food cooking, swing pushing, boo-boo kissing, paper crafting, breastfeeding, creative sewing, attachment parenting, woodworking, guitar playing, gardening, constantly reading, artistic and lovely full time, granola lovin' mama to my three sweetlings, Alex (7/20/96), Cyan (7/13/01), and baby Logan (1/22/07).

http://goddesshobbies.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Phils Ann
True Blue Farmgirl

1095 Posts

Ann
Parsonsburg Maryland
USA
1095 Posts

Posted - Sep 17 2007 :  10:18:47 AM  Show Profile
Molly, what a great thing to do with your first egg!

Val, do the girls have any red on their combs and wattles? I think that happened right before the egg(s) came. The count is up to four as of yesterday, and two breeds are at work, judging by the two colors of eggs. I hope your babies lay soon, too!

Ann
Sairy Hill Thicket
There is a Redeemer.
Go to Top of Page

therealshari
True Blue Farmgirl

235 Posts

Shari
Beryl UT
USA
235 Posts

Posted - Sep 17 2007 :  12:20:02 PM  Show Profile  Send therealshari a Yahoo! Message
Awesome Ann!

This weekend brought Mom her first income. Some Mexican guys showed up and wanted to buy three pullets. They were the same one's who had helped a Mexican woman purchase and transport a couple of lambs earlier.

I had promised them 3 pullets for $25 if they came back the week after they bought the sheep. Well, it's been a month, so the price was $30 for the three... after all, we've been feeding them. No problem!

I caught the three, and managed to step on a rogue egg. I'm kind of thinking it was laid after I went into the coop. Anyways, Mom had tagged along to make sure everything was "kosher". She didn't know these guys... and was being just a bit protective.

I spotted another egg in the nest box... so that kind of made up for the one I broke.

Oh, and then they thought it would also be great to have a rooster. Sure glad I kept a couple of "extra" roosters.

Now Mom has a cool $40 for her "mad money".

This morning there was yet another egg in the nest box.

Time to start a spreadsheet to track their production...

Shari Thomas
Shari's Gone Country
Go to Top of Page

Phils Ann
True Blue Farmgirl

1095 Posts

Ann
Parsonsburg Maryland
USA
1095 Posts

Posted - Sep 17 2007 :  2:32:03 PM  Show Profile
Fantastic, Shari! You and your mom are in business! How many pullets and roos are left?

Ann
Sairy Hill Thicket
There is a Redeemer.
Go to Top of Page

britchickny
True Blue Farmgirl

1048 Posts

Angie
Port Orange Florida
1048 Posts

Posted - Sep 17 2007 :  3:17:02 PM  Show Profile
I must live such a sheltered life! I just go to the grocery store, pick up the eggs in the nice little dozen boxes and go on my merry way!I have a new respect for the gentle art of keeping chickens and won't take another egg for granted again(LOL!)
Angie.

"Mercy, peace and love be yours in abundance" JUDE 1:2
Go to Top of Page

therealshari
True Blue Farmgirl

235 Posts

Shari
Beryl UT
USA
235 Posts

Posted - Sep 17 2007 :  7:15:09 PM  Show Profile  Send therealshari a Yahoo! Message
Hi Ann

I've got somewhere between 19 and 21... hard to count them when they're awake. The discrepancy is in my Black Astrolorp... had purposely purchased 5 pullets and 5 cockerel day-olds, but it appears I ended up with 3 pullets and 8 cockerels.

I also have 5 Buff Orpintons, 5 Plymouth Barred Rock, 3 White Rock, 2 Silver Laced Wyandotte, and 1 Golden Laced Wyandotte.

Right now, we have 1 White Rock roo who is the alpha roo, and 2 Black Astrolorp roos... one of which will shortly become a "Beer Butt Chicken".

Oh, and this afternoon, there were two eggs for us, both in the nest box. Pretty soon, we'll have our first omelet. With the size it will take a couple dozen for the four of us.

Shari Thomas
Shari's Gone Country
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Sep 17 2007 :  7:15:38 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I love the idea of keeping your first egg as an ordanment! What a fab idea!

Angie- can you buy farm fresh eggs from someone? I am sure you will be blown away by the difference in taste!

Alee
The amazing one handed typist! One hand for typing, one hand to hold Nora!
http://home.test-afl.tulix.com/aleeandnora/
Go to Top of Page

Maryjane Lee
True Blue Farmgirl

2195 Posts

Maryjane
CA
USA
2195 Posts

Posted - Sep 19 2007 :  11:43:25 AM  Show Profile
Congratulations on your FIRST egg!

Hugs, Maryjane Lee

The Beehive Cottage~est. 1971
"Sisters on the Fly"
Go to Top of Page

BlueRoseMama
True Blue Farmgirl

51 Posts

Val

51 Posts

Posted - Sep 19 2007 :  3:53:04 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Phils Ann

Molly, what a great thing to do with your first egg!

Val, do the girls have any red on their combs and wattles? I think that happened right before the egg(s) came. The count is up to four as of yesterday, and two breeds are at work, judging by the two colors of eggs. I hope your babies lay soon, too!

Ann
Sairy Hill Thicket
There is a Redeemer.

Not sure Ann... I will check and get back to ya'll.

Val

Val ~ I am a whole food cooking, swing pushing, boo-boo kissing, paper crafting, breastfeeding, creative sewing, attachment parenting, woodworking, guitar playing, gardening, constantly reading, artistic and lovely full time, granola lovin' mama to my three sweetlings, Alex (7/20/96), Cyan (7/13/01), and baby Logan (1/22/07).

http://goddesshobbies.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Carrie W
Farmgirl Legend/Chapter Guru

437 Posts

Saratoga Springs New York
USA
437 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2007 :  4:40:03 PM  Show Profile
Isn't it fun? We got our hens three years ago and some of them began laying just before Christmas. While we were doing our homeschool we would listen to the clucking away and then go to the coop to check the boxes. It was so much fun when our babies grew up!

We just took our egglaying adventure to a new level...we let our broody Black Austrolorp do her thing with some eggs. The first two hatched last Tuesday, then two more on Wed, and another on Saturday. We still have three more to go and NO idea when they are "due" ! Since our mama killed one of the first two we have rescued the others and brought them indoors under a lamp. If you'd like to see pictures (we photographed the whole event since we found the egg just beginning to crack) please visit

www.totallykadeshfarm.blogspot.com

I just love my hens!

carrie

www.totallykadeshfarm.blogspot.com

Tis better to weep at joy than to joy at weeping--Shakespeare, Much Ado About Nothing
Go to Top of Page

Carol Sue
True Blue Farmgirl

4033 Posts

Carol Sue
Washingtonian
USA
4033 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2007 :  03:06:24 AM  Show Profile
Carrie, loved your blog, have to wait until this afternoon after school to show the 2 grands... that will be fun. Thanks

Enjoying life.
Go to Top of Page

Phils Ann
True Blue Farmgirl

1095 Posts

Ann
Parsonsburg Maryland
USA
1095 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2007 :  2:37:59 PM  Show Profile
Carrie, that IS an adventure! I certainly wish you success with the rest of the hatching and the sweet babies!

Ann
Sairy Hill Thicket
There is a Redeemer.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Our First Egg! Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page