Jana
True Blue Farmgirl

482 Posts

Jana
Eau Claire Wisconsin
USA
482 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2007 :  02:08:59 AM  Show Profile
I am at my wit's end trying to come up with Christmas gifts I can make for men. Scarves are getting to be a bit old! And the homemade jams and the like.
Anyone have any ideas?

Jana

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4216 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4216 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2007 :  04:43:08 AM  Show Profile
Jana, I have the same problem, and then throw in gifts for teen age boys! Will be watching this post for good ideas. We have made Christmas gifts for the past several years. I have sewn fleece hats, and neck gaitors, and socks. Everyone really likes the neck gaitors. I don't have any ideas for this year yet. Maybe go back to making flannel shirts. Oh I have done the flannel pants too. And fleece pillow cases, they are really nice in the winter.

Michele
Go to Top of Page

sunshine
True Blue Farmgirl

4877 Posts

Wendy
Utah
USA
4877 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2007 :  05:32:02 AM  Show Profile  Send sunshine a Yahoo! Message
last year I had this problem I made all the wives fancy scarfs not the keep you warm type but the dress up type and I gave all the men a box or bag of chocolate they all thought it was great.

have a lovely day and may God bless you and keep you safe
my bloghttp://sunshinescreations.vintagethreads.com/
my web store http://vintagethreads.com/
Go to Top of Page

SarahJ
True Blue Farmgirl

198 Posts

Shreveport Louisiana
198 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2007 :  07:18:14 AM  Show Profile
I have solved this problem for this year, at least. I am making this:

http://www.diynetwork.com/diy/cr_linens_fabrics/article/0,2025,DIY_13765_4412057,00.html

I went to Goodwill and bought T-shirts that have graphics of bands, and other things boys like, and they were usually a buck a piece. I then bought the fleece backing during a sale at Joannes, and used yarn I already had to tie the quilts.

By adjusting what graphic tees I buy, I have tailored this to my brother, my BIL and my FIL.
Go to Top of Page

Kathie
True Blue Farmgirl

2436 Posts

Kathie
Thonotosassa Florida
USA
2436 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2007 :  12:38:53 PM  Show Profile
Sarah THAT is a really cool idea.. !
isn't it!!

Wish'd I'd seen this earlier in the year to start stocking up!!!

Now I'll REALLY be on the prowl!!

Maybe we should all start watching for these for each other!!!! ?

In a World Where you Can Be Anything, Be Yourself..
Go to Top of Page

janetinva123
True Blue Farmgirl

363 Posts

Janet
newport news va
USA
363 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2007 :  2:57:49 PM  Show Profile
Sarah, that quilt is a wonderful idea for my grandson. He is 13 and I never know what to make him. For my son-in-law, I plan to monogram some white handkerchiefs.

Jc
http://beloved-creations.blogspot.com
http://beloved-creations.com
http://beloved-creations-storytelling.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2007 :  5:23:14 PM  Show Profile
Boys and men are so much harder..I have 3 grown boys and alot of nephews to get gifts ready for. I am making a throw for my favorite uncle this year with 5" plaid flannel squares..backed with flannel too..really nice manly colors..blues and browns and like that. I will tie it for sure. I have knit socks for all the guys before other years and have done knit hats for the ones who live here close, but where my oldest boys live it just dosn't get cold enough to do that..unless they like to ski and do that alot. I knit gloves with the flap to make the fingers be free for my second son one year..he loves to fish and his hands get cold in the mornings fishing. I did embroidered pillows for my two oldest sons a couple years ago that said "Call your Mom" on front...they got a kick out of those.
I like the idea of the tee shirt quilt. It would be great to do that with tee shirts that my husband has collected too. And a good way to get them out of the way..haha.
When my kids have men teachers I nearly always get them chocolates.

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

LauraH
True Blue Farmgirl

305 Posts

Laura
North Creek New York
USA
305 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2007 :  6:02:03 PM  Show Profile
I have made home made spicy mustards & breads for them. anything to do with the tummy is usually good!
Laura
Go to Top of Page

SheilaC
True Blue Farmgirl

1948 Posts

Sheila
Vermont
USA
1948 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2007 :  9:21:35 PM  Show Profile
If you have a woodstove, how about a log carrier? I made a couple last year from some old upholstery fabric and denim. . .do you know what I'm talking about? When you lay it out flat, the shape is sort of opposite of an hourglass and you put handles on the thinner ends; when you bring in the firewood, you just put it on the wider middle and grab the handles. It's easier to carry more wood that way and you don't get bark all over your shirtsleeves!
Go to Top of Page

Corinnelouise
True Blue Farmgirl

957 Posts

Corinne
France
957 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2007 :  9:56:01 PM  Show Profile
When we left Canada, we got the much moving gift possible. A couple of friends has framed a picture of our favorite view of the lake, one we could see out of our windows. That was their farewell gift and we have hung it in our living room in all the countries we have been living in, since. So the last past years, I've made pictures of outdoor spots the men in my life like, some shots with them doing their favorite activity (fishing, car remodelling, boating, roasting marsmallow on a pit), and framed them. These gifts were a hit.
Corinne
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4216 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4216 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2007 :  05:38:02 AM  Show Profile
My sister decorated desk top picture frames for guy gifts. Using pinecones, and pieces of greenery. I did made a barb wire basket and filled with pinecone fire starters for my brother. They use their fire place alot.

Michele
Go to Top of Page

BlueApple
True Blue Farmgirl

430 Posts

Julia
Oregon
USA
430 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2007 :  08:22:11 AM  Show Profile  Send BlueApple an AOL message
There are lots of recipes for spiced nuts - watch for nuts on sale or buy in bulk and then roast with the various seasonings. I also love the above idea of homemade mustards and bread. You could also do homemade bbq sauce, add a spatula and homemade hot pad - tie together with raffia or rope (more manly) and you have a fun gift!

Julia
BlueApple Farm
http://www.homesteadblogger.com/BlueAppleFarm/
Go to Top of Page

Hideaway Farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1553 Posts

Jo
Virginia
USA
1553 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2007 :  11:52:05 AM  Show Profile
Sarah, I love that T-shirt quilt idea! That is something even I think I could do! I wonder how long before my DH would miss 13 of his Harley Davidson tee-shirts??? The old shirts usually end up as rags, but I also like the Goodwill idea. What a neat way to personalize the quilts for each person!

Jo

"Wish I had time to work with herbs all day!"
Go to Top of Page

Tammy Claxton
True Blue Farmgirl

1559 Posts

Tammy
Glen Burnie Maryland
USA
1559 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2007 :  04:57:50 AM  Show Profile  Send Tammy Claxton an AOL message
I have noticed that in my family, the men love those long body pillows. I am thinking of making one formy hubby since he talks about wanting one. Shouldn't be too hard to make. Also, some men like jewelry boxes and the craft store has some nice wooden boxes that can be painted or stained and then decorated in a them that each man would like such as fishing, hunting, cars, etc...

What doesn't kill you only makes you stronger!
Go to Top of Page

myfairlady636
True Blue Farmgirl

226 Posts

Janice
Fort Bridger WY
USA
226 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2007 :  2:53:30 PM  Show Profile
My guys liked those rice filled heat pads that you put in the microwave. It's a easy/quick sewing project- They like the longer ones best so they could put them on their necks. They are super nice for guys that work outside and get cold.. But also great for tension.

My Fair Lady
Go to Top of Page

sgrbear724
Farmgirl in Training

19 Posts

Rebecca
Tyrone PA
USA
19 Posts

Posted - Sep 15 2007 :  05:31:45 AM  Show Profile
Every single year my grandparents would by my dad the same thin wool scarves. My dad HATES scarves and never wears them-and so it became a running joke. HERE COMES THE SCARF!

Before I left home when I got married, I swiped all those scarves-and have worked to supplement the rest as I was able to find them at rummage sales and such.

Soon, I am going to stitch them all together into a wool scarf quilt-and Dad will surely appreciate all those scarves then! :-)

http:www.zeahrenaissance.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Hideaway Farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1553 Posts

Jo
Virginia
USA
1553 Posts

Posted - Sep 17 2007 :  11:51:30 AM  Show Profile
Rebecca,

That's an awesome idea to make a quilt for your Dad...and so special, since his parents started the collection of scarves, and you are going to present him with the finished product!

I hope he enjoys it!

Jo

"Wish I had time to work with herbs all day!"
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Sep 17 2007 :  11:58:52 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I am going to make Doug a Denver Bronco's throw blanket for his birthday if I can find fabric for it and then I am going to make some food mixes as well. The kind where you just have to add a egg or something to make brownies. I also might make a coupon kit like "Use this Coupon today to get out of chores" etc. You can do fun ones or even racey ones- depending on what sort of guy you are giving it to!! ;)

Alee
The amazing one handed typist! One hand for typing, one hand to hold Nora!
http://home.test-afl.tulix.com/aleeandnora/
Go to Top of Page

Bluewrenn
True Blue Farmgirl

1122 Posts

Erin
Texas
USA
1122 Posts

Posted - Sep 18 2007 :  1:00:36 PM  Show Profile
I made up a basket of BBQ sauces which I sent to my stepdad in Memphis - we have a running contest about who makes the best BBQ sauce and I try to pick up bottles of local sauces whenever I go travelling. I also pick up local sauces here and then make him up a box of new ones to try... The trick is to get kinds that he can't find in his grocery stores. Sometimes I pair the sauces up with a big pot holder or apron which I have made. OR something grilling related like a binder full of recipes I download off the internet.

Another thing we did was to find someone who made inexpensive chess sets - there's a guy on ebay that imports russian sets and he has some inexpensive ones. I sent a different colored set to each of my nephews the year they were all on the chess team. If you're handy with tools, or with plaster casting, this could be a cool project. I also made some homemade board games one year for my nephews and took a canvas board like art students use and painted it to be the game board, then sprayed it with a protective coat. Add some dice, some small wooden playing pieces and print out some cards or rule books...

This year I'll be sending photography books, framed photos of cool places around the world or of their favorite wild animals... that sort of thing.

My dad is a gardener, so I sent him seeds and seedlings. He's in Florida and can grow some of those tropical plants so I sent him a "breakfast" package - banana tree, coffee plants, papaya seeds, mango etc... from Banana-tree.com. It was surprisingly inexpensive. One year I sent him a tangerine tree and he sends me fruit from it every year now.

I also made up some kits for letterboxing for my brother-in-laws. They are active guys and like hiking, so I made up a small box with some rubber stamps, stamp pads and some blank books. Do a search online for "letterboxing" if you are interested. It's a lot like geocaching and it makes an awesomely cool gift for a teenager active adult.

My Homesteading Journal http://toomyvara.livejournal.com

My craft journal http://bluewrenn.livejournal.com

Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Sep 18 2007 :  1:14:13 PM  Show Profile
one year .. i gave all the MEN and BOYS .. BOOKS .. i know what each of their 'interests' are .. checked with their wives and moms to make sure i wasn't 'duplicating' .. and gifted a BOOK to each male .. they all appreciated them .. i started early in the year .. and put them aside until Christmas .. so the expense was not awful!

you could do 'magazine subscriptions' too .. a little higher in cost if you are buying for lots of men though.

if they are jus' token gifts .. look for fun and personal coffee mugs. again .. if you shop all year .. it is easy and inexpensive.

i've also gotten for the men who like to bar-b-q .. some great 'chili products' and put them all in a festive looking box.

males are much more difficult to buy for than females .. for me anyhoo! girls are sooooooooooo EASY! we like so much!!!

True Friends, Frannie

FREEDOM VALLEY FARM
KENTUCKY

http://freedomvalleyfarm.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

Nin
True Blue Farmgirl

106 Posts

Enjoyng life in the world of Peachy Hollow

106 Posts

Posted - Oct 16 2007 :  3:26:38 PM  Show Profile
DH is a HUGE Michigan football fan, so I thought about making him a lap quilt in Michigan colours. We live in California and have no heating, but there's the occasional evening when it gets pretty cool in front of the TV.

www.peachyhollow.com
Go to Top of Page

Nin
True Blue Farmgirl

106 Posts

Enjoyng life in the world of Peachy Hollow

106 Posts

Posted - Oct 16 2007 :  3:32:36 PM  Show Profile
I just thought of this from reading another post in the crafty section....KNITTED SOCKS!!!!!

www.peachyhollow.com
Go to Top of Page

farmgrlchick
True Blue Farmgirl

439 Posts

Theresa
Columbus Montana
USA
439 Posts

Posted - Oct 18 2007 :  10:09:25 AM  Show Profile
Music! If you have basic computer skills you could make up a personal CD with favorite songs...or music for road trips, relaxing, working out, ect.....

Farmgirl Blessings,
Theresa
http://theresaslavenderbox.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2007 :  10:21:17 PM  Show Profile
Books and corduroys.
That's about all that makes mine happy!!
The book could be about watching paint dry, he would still read it and talk for hours about it. And, apparently, you can never have too many pair of corduroys.

I do a subscription for the Sunday New York Times, because he loves the crossword puzzle (that's always in his stocking) and he also loves WWII history and items, so if I run across something (like the sterling Army "sharpshooter" badge I found at the estate jewelers, I'll pick it up for his stocking, too (and I did).

This year I will make him a knit hat, but I don't have anything else on my list...I think we talked about my giving him money towards a new electric guitar (which, thank god, he will pick out--whew!!!)

Both he and I agree we could shop at the antique mall for each other and win every time...

"She was built like a watch, a study in balance ... with a neck and head so refined, like a drawing by DaVinci"...
NY Newsday sportswriter Bill Nack describing filly, Ruffian.
Go to Top of Page

nashbabe
True Blue Farmgirl

687 Posts

687 Posts

Posted - Oct 22 2007 :  06:47:12 AM  Show Profile
I know at least some guys like quillows--the little throw that folds into a pillow. Especially if you made it in their favorite team's colors, perhaps???

Crunchy crafty goodness and psychoses...;-)http://nashbabe.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Jane Carney
True Blue Farmgirl

84 Posts

Jane
Hidden Valley Lake CA
84 Posts

Posted - Oct 24 2007 :  8:27:37 PM  Show Profile
I made my Dad an armchair caddy one year for Christmas, you know, for the remote, his glasses, the newspaper and maybe some candy. He's not with us anymore and I inherited back the caddy. Everytime I use it I think of him. Oh, and on the front of the caddy I cross-stitched:

Of all the blessings
I've possessed
My Dad's among
the very best

Take care,
Jane

http://janesdesign.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Holidays: Previous Topic Christmas Gifts for Men--HELP Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly