Printer Friendly
Author Holidays: Previous Topic Have a Green Halloween Next Topic  

celebrate2727
True Blue Farmgirl

989 Posts

Beth
MJF Farmgirl
989 Posts

Posted - Oct 27 2007 :  1:32:46 PM  Show Profile  Send celebrate2727 a Yahoo! Message
With Halloween just around the corner here are a few ideas from the EarthLab Foundation for a Green Halloween!

Trick or Treat with reusable bags

Recylce those costumes, trade with friends, visit a thrift store or rent one.

Give Eco-Friendly Treats that use little or no non-recyclable packaging.

Walk, don't drive.

Compost your pumpkins.

Reuses and recycle decorations.

blessings
beth

I Can
beth@maryjanesfarm.org

Edited by - celebrate2727 on Oct 27 2007 2:26:02 PM

sunshine
True Blue Farmgirl

4877 Posts

Wendy
Utah
USA
4877 Posts

Posted - Oct 27 2007 :  2:18:44 PM  Show Profile  Send sunshine a Yahoo! Message
Lets see how I did

1. my kids have hand made bags they use every year
2. My kids always pass down their costumes and don't mind wearing the same costume from year to year if it still fits.
3. Last year we gave out braclets so the kids could keep them after Halloween/ this year I didn't have time so I bought candy ( bad me as I hate giving out candy)
4. We do a trunk or treat all the families in the neighbor hood meet in one spot and the kids trick or treat from car to car then we all go home much less gas than driving from house to house but we have never done that we normally trunk or treat or trick or treat the mall no cars to hit the kids inside a mall and well lit and not cold.
5. Our pumpkins are metal ceramic and paper mache and I have been using the from 18 to 13 years so no composting but not wasting a pumpkin either.
6. I always keep my decorations from year to year our main one is a Halloween tree that sits inside our front door that people see when we are trick or treated on Halloween.

So did I do good or bad

have a lovely day and may God bless you and keep you safe
my bloghttp://sunshinescreations.vintagethreads.com/
my web store http://vintagethreads.com/

Edited by - sunshine on Oct 27 2007 2:20:07 PM
Go to Top of Page

celebrate2727
True Blue Farmgirl

989 Posts

Beth
MJF Farmgirl
989 Posts

Posted - Oct 27 2007 :  2:27:09 PM  Show Profile  Send celebrate2727 a Yahoo! Message
You did great Wendy, and it sounds like it will also be a safe and fun event for the entire family!

blessings
beth

I Can
beth@maryjanesfarm.org

Go to Top of Page

asnedecor
True Blue Farmgirl

1054 Posts

Anne
Portland Or
USA
1054 Posts

Posted - Oct 27 2007 :  3:48:55 PM  Show Profile
Well no kids to buy costumes for - so I am ahead on that one. Bad me - I give out candy - sorry can't break that tradition. I do compost my pumpkins every year and I do re-use the same decorations every year - so no waste there. So I think I am not doing too bad on the green thing.

Anne in Portland

"Weeds are flowers too, once you get to know them" Eyeore from Winnie the Pooh
Go to Top of Page

Tammy Claxton
True Blue Farmgirl

1559 Posts

Tammy
Glen Burnie Maryland
USA
1559 Posts

Posted - Oct 29 2007 :  06:31:01 AM  Show Profile  Send Tammy Claxton an AOL message
Lets see:

Using hand me down costumes (my kids don't care, they lovethem!)
Using the same bags from three years ago - kids won't part with them
Handing down a costume to my grandbaby
Reuse my decorations every year, mostly handmade

I am guilty of handing out candy (I'll blame that on my hubby though) *wink*
I have never composted my pumkins, but I may try this year.

What doesn't kill you only makes you stronger!

http://countryintheburbs.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4740 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4740 Posts

Posted - Oct 29 2007 :  06:59:00 AM  Show Profile
Our grade school doesn't allow candy, bakery, or home baked items for parties. So I did up treat bags that have crackers, pop-tarts to go, Halloween pencils and erasers in them for my 4 year olds early childhood class. Instead of buying a typical Halloween costume (I don't sew) I got him a dress up outfit from Imaginarium. He will be a railroad engineer this year. My son has been playing all weekend with his trains wearing his engineer outfit. He really loves it and it will last until he outgrows it. This is the first year he will be trick or treating. Our neighbor has mostly empty nesters in it, so we'll walk around to 5 or 6 houses by us only. Our houses are far apart and the driveways are pretty long, so I figure that's all he'll want to do.

I hope everyone has tons of fun, it's going to be a beautiful Halloween here in the Chicagoland area (64 and sunny)!

Dawn in IL
Go to Top of Page

Nin
True Blue Farmgirl

106 Posts

Enjoyng life in the world of Peachy Hollow

106 Posts

Posted - Nov 01 2007 :  5:38:44 PM  Show Profile
I'm recycling Paige's outfit into a gift bag :)

www.peachyhollow.com
Go to Top of Page

celebrate2727
True Blue Farmgirl

989 Posts

Beth
MJF Farmgirl
989 Posts

Posted - Nov 02 2007 :  08:29:42 AM  Show Profile  Send celebrate2727 a Yahoo! Message
Oh Nin- do post pictures won't you. We'd all love to see =o]

Halloween was such fun here. My son came home from school to take my younger two and all the neighbor kids out into the neighborhood. They had a blast. we only had a couple trick or treaters so I made little gift bags up for each of them with stickers and popcorn and the like, though I did put in a couple candies- it's the only time of year my kids get any candy really.

blessings
beth

I Can
beth@maryjanesfarm.org

Go to Top of Page
  Holidays: Previous Topic Have a Green Halloween Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page