KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Oct 30 2007 :  05:51:25 AM  Show Profile
Ha! I figured it out (for my man, anyway :))...he studied editorial cartooning in college, and last night, on PBS, we watched a story about Charles Schultz, the creator of Peanuts. What was MOST spooky, is that dh and Charles Schultz could be twins when it comes to their life--(childhoods, etc...) but dh really responds to his style of illustration. Anyway, he was crying through almost the whole thing, and I remembered that when I was last in Joseph Beth Booksellers, we ran across a complete early collection of Peanuts--from the first strips, and he wanted it in the worst way...but they were $50 a piece (2). Well, that's what he's getting!!!! (and maybe some new corduroys :)

"She was built like a watch, a study in balance ... with a neck and head so refined, like a drawing by DaVinci"...
NY Newsday sportswriter Bill Nack describing filly, Ruffian.
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Oct 30 2007 :  2:02:52 PM  Show Profile
any really creative ideas of things to BUY for teenage boys and men? i don't do 'electronics' .. and they have just about every gadget known to boy or man! (only want to spend about $30. each) .. i surely don't have time to MAKE anything .. i've done books .. which has always been my fav .. i like the idea of the photographs .. but i don't live near them .. can always do more framed photos of the 'kids' for the men .. but i've also done that! a 14 year old boy is my biggest challenge! AND it has to be mailed .. so i don't want to get anything HEAVY - LARGE - or shaped like a camel! i've done FOOD .. the teen wouldn't care about that anyway. lordy! boys are difficult to BUY for .. UNLESS you get into that electronics trap! all the 'regular' stuff .. i have either given or he really wouldn't be terribly interested in. i do want it to be very special though. (i do plan to give money also .. so he can get the 'electronics' he wants .. but i also want him to have a gift to open. HALP!!!!!!

True Friends * Frannie

HEAR MY STORIES
come, visit my:

"GATHERING ROOM" ..

http://freedomvalleyfarm.blogspot.com

e-mail me: Freedom_Valley_Farm@windstream.net

MaryJane & Family
Green County, KENTUCKY
October 2007
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Oct 31 2007 :  06:13:39 AM  Show Profile
Hey Frannie--
Does this "teen" like music? Where does he reside? My youngest brother in law, just turned 18, but when he was smaller, we ran into difficulty buying for him, too! One year it was a scooter, the next year it was an And1 sports jacket, and one year an electric guitar (from Target). We have a really great independent music store, located in the really hip part of Northside, so that's what he's been getting the last couple of years-$30.00 to go buy what he wants, and feel super cool and hip while doing it (with his big brother, my husband).

Does he have any interest in history, or places, like England? One year, my bil and inlaws went to England for vacation, so we prepared a basket full of fun English stuff that I could get here, stateside (MAN, I love homegoods!) Great cookies and sweets, Beatles cd's, a London Underground T shirt, etc...A book about the "horrors" of London, ghosts, etc...stuff a 14 year old would dig.

"She was built like a watch, a study in balance ... with a neck and head so refined, like a drawing by DaVinci"...
NY Newsday sportswriter Bill Nack describing filly, Ruffian.
Go to Top of Page

SarahJ
True Blue Farmgirl

198 Posts

Shreveport Louisiana
198 Posts

Posted - Nov 01 2007 :  09:44:03 AM  Show Profile
An Itunes gift card is always a good idea, T-shirts with band logos or other things of interest...
Go to Top of Page

Bluewrenn
True Blue Farmgirl

1122 Posts

Erin
Texas
USA
1122 Posts

Posted - Nov 01 2007 :  10:20:37 PM  Show Profile
Boys like cash! At least my nephews do.

I asked about their hobbies and have gotten them stuff that is related... usually books on drawing or art supplies for the one that likes to draw and blank books for the one who likes to write his own stories. I sent Russian painted chess sets one year for the boys on the chess team. This past year they asked for posters for their walls. One likes to cook so one year he got a chef's hat, an apron and some cookbooks by his favorite celebrity cook (which I found at the half price book store).

I made up a "letterboxing" kit for my brothers in law which included a book on letterboxing, some blank notepads, a stamp or two and stamp pads. It's a neat hobby and similar to geocaching which is a trendy hobby right now. It's a perfect gift for an active outdoorsy type.

Camping gear, movies and popcorn, movie tickets, etc...

Most kids like band tees. You just have to find out their favorite bands.

Jonni's ideas - the basket of British goods is an awesome one!

My Homesteading Journal http://toomyvara.livejournal.com

My craft journal http://bluewrenn.livejournal.com

Go to Top of Page

Canadian farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

482 Posts

Lori
Ontario
Canada
482 Posts

Posted - Nov 02 2007 :  07:13:57 AM  Show Profile
My guys like anything plaid and flannel. Those quilted plaid coats are always handy, and I find the collar wears out on them before anything else!

Socks and underwear are the standing joke here, but always appreciated. Magazine subscriptions are a gift that gives all year, too.

Last year I bought my DH a Shakelight flashlight, the kind that you don't ever need batteries for, and he thought it was really cool. Yesterday I ordered him an emergency radio, which you can crank or run on solar power. We have frequent power outages here.

One year we did up a "movie night" gift bag, with a DVD, chips, popcorn, drinks, etc. It went over well.

I don't know any guy who doesn't like pepperoni, jerky, salty or spicy things, or nuts.

Basic tools are going to be a necessity, for young guys. My dad did up toolboxes for my sons, with tape measures, hammers, etc. If they are driving, there are lots of cool small gadgets, like tire pressure guages, that are handy, too.

I find it hard to make "crafty" gifts for guys, though.
Lori
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Holidays: Previous Topic Christmas Gifts for Men--HELP Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page