mikesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3659 Posts

Sherri
Elma WA
USA
3659 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2007 :  12:28:04 PM  Show Profile
Hey all you wonderful bakers out there - I have a problem with my cinnamon rolls that you might be able to help me with. I make good dough - the bread turns out wonderfully, but when I turn it into cinnamon rolls, the spiral separates. Does that make sense? I roll it up, and when it rises and bakes, the layers of the cinnamon roll don't bake together, but separate and are loose - like if you picked it up, baked, it would unwind. The layers don't bake together I guess it is. Anyone know what I'm doing wrong? DH loves cinnamon rolls and I'm forever hearing about his moms.................

wallflower
True Blue Farmgirl

101 Posts

Holly
East Walpole MA
USA
101 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2007 :  12:36:15 PM  Show Profile
I'm not an expert, but after I roll out the dough, I butter it well--butter makes everything better . After putting the sugar/cinnamon/brown sugar on, I roll. I do try to make sure that the seam is sealed--putting water along the edge and pinching the seam together. Maybe this helps some! Happy baking!
Go to Top of Page

mikesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3659 Posts

Sherri
Elma WA
USA
3659 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2007 :  12:58:21 PM  Show Profile
I try and seal the edge too, but I haven't been putting water along the edge. I'll try that! Thanks!
Go to Top of Page

mikesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3659 Posts

Sherri
Elma WA
USA
3659 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2007 :  2:53:19 PM  Show Profile
Well, this latest batch just came out of the oven and the same thing happened - the coil seems to get thinner as it bakes. It looks like it's going to bake together when I put it in the oven, but separates as it bakes. Help - what am I doing wrong??
Go to Top of Page

wallflower
True Blue Farmgirl

101 Posts

Holly
East Walpole MA
USA
101 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2007 :  5:38:58 PM  Show Profile
Can you tell me the process? I use my grandma's bread recipe, mix, knead, rise; form rolls, rise, bake (abbreviated explanation). How does your recipe go?
Go to Top of Page

JudyBlueEyes
True Blue Farmgirl

657 Posts

Judith
Spokane Washington
USA
657 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2007 :  9:45:16 PM  Show Profile
Like Prissy in Gone With The Wind, "I don't know nothing about cinnamon rolls" (although she was talking about birthing babies) - but y'all are making me powerful hungry for a good cinnamon roll! Judy

We come from the earth, we go back to the earth, and in between, we garden!
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2007 :  10:03:06 PM  Show Profile
A cinnamon roll WOULD hit the spot right now, wouldn't it? When I bake mine I put the rolls on the pan "slap up against each other"...and that holds them together..they get real thick that way too..the way I like them.

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

mikesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3659 Posts

Sherri
Elma WA
USA
3659 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2007 :  11:59:28 PM  Show Profile
Holly - mine is the exact same process as yours. Maybe I can take a picture of how they come out and that will help.
Go to Top of Page

Hideaway Farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1553 Posts

Jo
Virginia
USA
1553 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2007 :  05:46:06 AM  Show Profile
Oh ladies, I am craving a cinnamon roll right now! If Sherrie posts a picture, I'm a goner...

Sherri: Is your MIL still alive to ask her advice? If not, are there other family members familar with the recipe?

Jo

"Wish I had time to work with herbs all day!"

Edited by - Hideaway Farmgirl on Sep 06 2007 05:47:54 AM
Go to Top of Page

Miss Bee Haven
True Blue Farmgirl

4331 Posts

Janice
Louisville/Irvington Kentucky
USA
4331 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2007 :  08:29:30 AM  Show Profile  Send Miss Bee Haven a Yahoo! Message
I'm getting ready to go to an exercise class, but I'd rather be sitting down to a hot, buttery cinnamon roll and a cup of coffee....grr. Why is everything that tastes SO GOOD so BAD for me??? :(

"If you think you've got it nailed down, then what's all that around it?" - 'Brother Dave' Gardner
Go to Top of Page

mikesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3659 Posts

Sherri
Elma WA
USA
3659 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2007 :  08:39:11 AM  Show Profile
Unfortunately, MIL died when she was only 44 years old. She had ovarian cancer that spread throughout her body. It was really sad - she had 9 children and DH and I were the only ones that had given her any grandchildren when she got sick. We had our oldest DD and I was pregnant with first DS. She got sicker and sicker as the pregnancy progressed until the last month when I didn't think she was going to make it until I had the baby. She was on oxygen full time and pretty much just able to sit in her recliner with her eyes closed. I went into labor a week early with DS and he was born after about 5 hours. DH went up to his mom's home to tell her about the birth - she was sitting in her chair and he knelt in front of her and said "Mom, Sherri had a boy." He said she just smiled, knodded her head and died. Right there in front of DH. She must have been waiting to hear the news. Of all four of my children that was the only one born early with a short labor. Funny huh? Come to think of it, maybe I should just leave DH with memories of his mom's cinnamon rolls and not even try to perfect them myself.
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2007 :  08:40:15 AM  Show Profile
I think Like Aunt Jenny said, you pack them tight enough they can't fall apart. I would like one too please when they are done, I don't care if they fall apart.
NANCY JO

www.Nancy-Jo.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

aimeeravae
True Blue Farmgirl

341 Posts

Aimee
Deer River MN
USA
341 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2007 :  09:56:39 AM  Show Profile
What are the ingredients in you filling? I'm wondering if its too much "goo"? Sometimes if these is too much sugar with the cinnamon in my monkey bread, it doesn't stick well. I'm with Nancy, I don't care if they fall apart. The perfectly beautiful stuff doesn't taste nearly as good as the mistakes. You're putting a country spin on the recipe.

Aimee

http://laplantewardklopf.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Hideaway Farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1553 Posts

Jo
Virginia
USA
1553 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2007 :  10:19:42 AM  Show Profile
Sherri, i am sorry to hear about your MIL, but what an awesome story that is. It brought tears to my eyes. I am so glad your DH was able to let her know about his new baby son, and that she was not alone when she passed.

I think I will agree with you, enjoy your cinnamon rolls as is, and let your DH keep his memories! At least he knows how hard you are trying, with his mama's recipe. But I also agree that you should put them slap up against ech other, then you can make more per pan, for all the farmgirls who are going to be banging on your door in a few minutes!

Jo

Go to Top of Page

Ronna
True Blue Farmgirl

1891 Posts

Ronna
Fernley NV
USA
1891 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2007 :  12:06:22 PM  Show Profile
Okay, I read all the posts and will put my two cents in here...as you roll them up, tug on the roll to stretch it a bit and that will make it tighter. Maybe that doesn't make sense and I'm not sure how to explain it right. The dough is stretchy and will spring back after you stretch it out, making the roll much firmer and less likely to open up as it bakes. Placing them closer together helps too, as already mentioned. I also use unwaxed unflavored dental floss to cut them, to avoid flattening the dough as it's cut. If all else fails, make knots instead of rolls. The school cafeteria in Idaho showed me how they did it...made a long rope of the dough, cut into 3" or so pieces, dipped in melted butter and than the cinnamon sugar mixture and baked close to each other but not touching. It's messy but good. No such thing as a bad cinnamon roll...just some are better than others :) I'll try to find a better explanation if needed. Yummmmmmmy
Loved that story, Sherri. I do believe she was waiting for the baby to be born before leaving. Hospice told me that people do choose when to go and I belive it to be true.
Ronna
Go to Top of Page

mikesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3659 Posts

Sherri
Elma WA
USA
3659 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2007 :  5:57:22 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for all the great suggestions - I will try them as soon as this batch is gone. I can't believe I got the baking bug on my third week in Weight Watchers. You all had better show up at my door, or I'm going to have to use my "no weigh in this week coupon!"
Go to Top of Page

Hideaway Farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1553 Posts

Jo
Virginia
USA
1553 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2007 :  06:55:31 AM  Show Profile
Sherri - you'll love this idea. Bake the cinnamon rolls and take them to WW for everyone else to eat!

I had a previous coworker who honestly thought her weight control method worked best by bringing junk food and candy into the office where the rest of us would devour it all. She got the pleasure of seeing us eat it, and she always seemed to get skinnier, by comparison...

Jo

Go to Top of Page

mikesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3659 Posts

Sherri
Elma WA
USA
3659 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2007 :  09:19:10 AM  Show Profile
I wonder what would happen if I did that!
Go to Top of Page

Hideaway Farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1553 Posts

Jo
Virginia
USA
1553 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2007 :  05:58:05 AM  Show Profile
You mean, after they kick you out of your weight watchers group? Tarred and feathered, with cinnamon sticky buns! Good luck with WW; if your cinnamon rolls are even half as good as they sound, I sympathize with your struggle!

Jo

Go to Top of Page

lisamarie508
True Blue Farmgirl

2648 Posts

Lisa
Idaho City ID
USA
2648 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2007 :  3:44:48 PM  Show Profile
Let's see....how far is Elma from here? I was doing fine until I finished reading your post, Ronna. Now I want one (or two) myself!

my blog: http://lisamariesbasketry.blogspot.com/
My Website:
http://www.freewebs.com/lisamariesbasketry/index.htm
Go to Top of Page

mikesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3659 Posts

Sherri
Elma WA
USA
3659 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2007 :  12:34:33 AM  Show Profile
Sorry ladies - DH choked down the last one while he was watching football on Sunday!
Go to Top of Page

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4737 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4737 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2007 :  06:20:10 AM  Show Profile
I have had the same problem with my cinnamon rolls to Sherri. I gave up trying & buy them at Starbucks now! As for my love of baking, that continues. I send the majority of the goodies in to work with my husband. I used to work with him there, so a lot of the guys are both our friends. I always tell my husband to give the goodies to the bachelors first, then the married guys! I enjoy reading all the E-mails they send me saying "thanks" and a update on how they're doing.

Dawn in IL
Go to Top of Page

lasagefemme
True Blue Farmgirl

65 Posts

Lisa
eastern Washington
USA
65 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2007 :  11:25:26 PM  Show Profile  Click to see lasagefemme's MSN Messenger address
Sherri.........hey there, I'm a Washington farmgirl too (Pennsylvania transplant, though). Prepare yourself for a revelation............girl, you are missing the GOO!!!!! The goo...the stuff at the bottom that drips off and you lick from your plate. After my cinnamon rolls are in the baking pan, on top of the stove, I melt a stick of butter, about a cup of brown sugar and about a half of a cup of water......heat til it *just* starts to boil (careful, it will boil over). You pour this in the bottom of your pan of rolls. Not only does it help them to rise.......it makes the most delicious GOO in the world AND helps your rolls to stick together. My mama was a baker for my grandma's country store for years and years..........and this is how she did it :)

Lisa

*Drink RAW milk*
Go to Top of Page

mikesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3659 Posts

Sherri
Elma WA
USA
3659 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2007 :  08:14:42 AM  Show Profile
You know that makes sense - my dh always tells me that he and his sibs always took a spoon to the pan after his mom baked cinnamon rolls and got delicious brown sugar/cinnamon suckers. I never did that because he's never here when I bake them and I sure as heck don't need any brown sugar suckers - I never thought eliminating that part would affect how the cinnamon rolls rose, but I can see where it would when you explain it. I will definately try one more time - this time with GOO!! thanks, Lisa PS Where in Eastern WA?
Go to Top of Page

CountryChick
True Blue Farmgirl

56 Posts

MICHIGAN
56 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2007 :  12:20:59 PM  Show Profile
Hello, You all are making me hunger for cinnamon rolls. I can smell them from here.
Can anyone share there recipe? :)
The brown sugar goo sounds wonderful.

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2007 :  12:58:11 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I always put so much filling in that it makes it's own carmely syrup in the bottom of the pan when it bakes. I mash them all up next to each other and they bake all nestled in like friends in a pan. :) Yum! Once I get my house in order I am going to make cinnamon rolls!!

Alee
The amazing one handed typist! One hand for typing, one hand to hold Nora!
http://home.test-afl.tulix.com/aleeandnora/
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Cinnamon roll question Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page