RachelLeigh
True Blue Farmgirl

635 Posts

Rachel
Rainier WA
USA
635 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2007 :  11:44:03 AM  Show Profile
Hi ladies! I'm buying some farm fresh eggs from an employee tomorrow! I'm so excited! I'm sure this is no big deal to you because most of you are lucky enough to live in the country but for us city dwellers, home-grown, non-mass-produced-in-deplorable-condition eggs are a treat! She's selling them for $2/dozen. She is bringing me white, brown, blue, and green ones. Whooohoooo!!!!

my blog: http://catholiccountrygirl.wordpress.com
my website: http://www.backwoodsjunction.com

DaisyFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

1646 Posts

Diane
Victoria BC
Canada
1646 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2007 :  12:10:28 PM  Show Profile
Oh no, now you've done it...you'll never go back!

I have customers that curse me (in good fun) because they claim I've ruined them, they just can't eat a store bought egg anymore.

I still can't get over finding out that cheap chicken feed contains feather meal.

Di
Go to Top of Page

mikesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3659 Posts

Sherri
Elma WA
USA
3659 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2007 :  1:05:38 PM  Show Profile
$2 a dozen is an incredibly inexpensive price for fresh eggs.
Go to Top of Page

RachelLeigh
True Blue Farmgirl

635 Posts

Rachel
Rainier WA
USA
635 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2007 :  1:29:04 PM  Show Profile
I agree! I'm so excited. It's a great price and the chickens are so much better taken care of and better fed. I just have to convince my citified husband that non-store bought eggs won't kill him! :)

my country folk art business website: http://www.backwoodsjunction.com
Go to Top of Page

Tina Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

6948 Posts

Tina
sunshine state FL
USA
6948 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2007 :  3:05:33 PM  Show Profile
that's great..and yes, you'll taste the difference.

~Seize the Day! Live, Love, Laugh~
visit me at:
http://gardengoose.blogspot.com/
and at www.stliving.net
you can also check out my etsy shops at:http://GardenGooseGifts.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Brew Crew
True Blue Farmgirl

676 Posts

Molly
Arizona
676 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2007 :  3:22:09 PM  Show Profile
Store-bought eggs look so funny to me when I see them at restaurants and other places! Especially scrambled-- they just have no color or texture to them! I love my fresh eggs. $2 is a super price! My SIL sells hers for $3/doz and most people seem ok with that. Enjoy! Good luck getting hubby to warm up to them-- some people just never do, though. My FIL won't touch them with a ten foot pole! :)

"There is a Happy Dale far, far away. . ." -Arsenic and Old Lace
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9325 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9325 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2007 :  6:12:29 PM  Show Profile
Here I've been thinking we are charging to much at a 1.50 because no one here is buying them.

"The earth is the Lord's and the fullness thereof and all that dwell therein."

www.torismimi.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

DaisyFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

1646 Posts

Diane
Victoria BC
Canada
1646 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2007 :  10:08:57 PM  Show Profile
$1.50?? Wow! It costs me more than that to produce them! I charge $4.00 a dozen for organic eggs and I can't keep them in the frig. The stores here are almost $6 for organic.
Go to Top of Page

Mnhorsemom
Farmgirl in Training

44 Posts

Kathy
Battle Lake minnesota
USA
44 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2007 :  05:34:14 AM  Show Profile
WOW, I guess I am glad I live in the toolies. I buy eggs from a friend and pay $1 a dozen. I love the beautiful brown eggs I get from her.

Farm House Formulas Battle Lake, MN
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2007 :  08:15:02 AM  Show Profile
The law associate in the office next to me brings me eggs from his brother's farm in Winchester, about every two weeks. They raise their hens organically, and the eggs are lovely shades of brown.

We usually pay around $2-$3 a dozen at the farmers market for our fresh eggs. They're usually just brown, though I did purchase some blue and green a few weeks back at a roadside stop.

**Denise,I think that people who are used to store bought things don't really understand the concept of fresh--and really, are somewhat afraid of fresh. Someone asked me once, if I'd ever found a "carcass of a dead baby chick" in my fresh eggs!

I can pickles, salsa, jams, etc...and when I give them to folks as gifts, they always ask me things like, "does this need to go into the fridge immediately?", or "do I eat these like regular pickles" The best description I can give to them is: do what you do with THIS jar of (pickles, salsa, jam) like you just picked it up from the grocery shelf!!

"She was built like a watch, a study in balance ... with a neck and head so refined, like a drawing by DaVinci"...
NY Newsday sportswriter Bill Nack describing filly, Ruffian.
Go to Top of Page

mikesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3659 Posts

Sherri
Elma WA
USA
3659 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2007 :  08:46:34 AM  Show Profile
Organic Omega-3 eggs in our area sell for about $3.50- $4.00 a dozen.
Go to Top of Page

aimeeravae
True Blue Farmgirl

341 Posts

Aimee
Deer River MN
USA
341 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2007 :  10:08:23 AM  Show Profile
We get them by the flat from one of the huetterite colonies near here. I pay $1.75 for the flat. That's 2 1/2 dozen and they just went up from $1.25. I can also get cleaned chickens, some veges, assortment of baked goods and my thanksgiving turkey. I love the turkeys. If you tell them in advance what size you want they hand feed one up to that size. I have seen 30lbs. turkeys they have for people. They are huge! I stick with the 24lbs. I don't think the shelf in my oven would support one bigger.

Aimee

http://laplantewardklopf.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Hideaway Farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1553 Posts

Jo
Virginia
USA
1553 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2007 :  10:33:49 AM  Show Profile
Gosh, Denise, I wonder how far away you are from Northern Virginia? Might be worth the trip in gasoline!

I just paid $3.19 a dozen at the grocery store for organic eggs.Maybe you should raise your prices and see what happens! City folk might think that inexpensive means inferior!

Jo

"Wish I had time to work with herbs all day!"
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2007 :  10:56:14 AM  Show Profile
Denise,
To bad you don't live near me I would buy them for sure.
NANCY JO

www.Nancy-Jo.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

DaisyFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

1646 Posts

Diane
Victoria BC
Canada
1646 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2007 :  12:24:13 PM  Show Profile
"I just paid $3.19 a dozen at the grocery store for organic eggs.Maybe you should raise your prices and see what happens! City folk might think that inexpensive means inferior!"

Jo might have a very good point here.
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9325 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9325 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2007 :  4:22:37 PM  Show Profile
You should've seen the looks we got when we went from 1.25 to 1.50
In fact we lost a few customers. Couldn't be helped we have to pay for the cartons, though I do have a girlfriend that saves them for me.

Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2007 :  09:02:24 AM  Show Profile
I too sell eggs and charge 2.00.

It's well w/ in reason when I;m bringing those eggs to the people, feeding said chickens, driving to get said chicked feed, and providing FRESH eggs that are less than 24 hours old.

Your run of the mill store bought eggs are 6 weeks old already!

I say 2.00 is a real deal.

If you free range your hens, look at the yolks and compare. Ours are dark orange , store eggs-even those fancy "organic" eggs in the
stores still have a paler color.
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9325 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9325 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2007 :  3:15:55 PM  Show Profile
Ours are darker in the yolk than store bought too. I wonder why that is. At one of the farm markets, they are few and far between, (go figure this is supposed to be the garden state) they are getting 1.75 a dozen. Don't know how well they are selling.

Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2007 :  03:45:20 AM  Show Profile
The darker yolks are from the hens eating a varied and far more nutritious diet. Sometimes when I have to keep the chickens in to let small garden plants get established, I notice a shift in color.

Funny thing is, I can't eat eggs like in a quiche or breakfast style due to a severe allergy, but folks who buy and eat the eggs say they can tell a difference.
Go to Top of Page

RachelLeigh
True Blue Farmgirl

635 Posts

Rachel
Rainier WA
USA
635 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2007 :  05:53:49 AM  Show Profile
Well, I brought my dozen farm fresh eggs home yesterday. I opened them up and showed my husband the brown, green, and blue eggs and he said, "Why did you buy dyed eggs?" I laughed so hard and had to explain to him that they were naturally produced that way! I'm using up all my store-bought eggs this weekend since they're much older so I can enjoy this dozen! I think my hubby MAY eat them. I'm not sure yet. He's already told me that he's not touching the Bison BBQ they serve at the festival we're going today. So citified and picky!!!

my country folk art business website: http://www.backwoodsjunction.com
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9325 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9325 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2007 :  9:30:56 PM  Show Profile
Bison, oh I don't blame him. I have trouble eating the vension from when my husband goes hunting. Bleck! But knowing it is much leaner than beef I do eat it. Have to find something to get rid of the gamey taste though. Haven't figured it out yet and I've been cooking it for 10 years now.
I can't believe I have around 17 dozen eggs in my fridge. Hoping they don't go bad before I can use some of them. A woman did stop yesterday and got two dozen.

Go to Top of Page

kissmekate
True Blue Farmgirl

890 Posts

Kate
Delano Minnesota
890 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2007 :  10:19:04 PM  Show Profile
I was blissfully ignorant with respect to eggs and how chickens are treated, chicken feed etc.
Up until I read a book on Organic foods. (it posed why you should or shouldn't buy organically) It opened my eyes to why Free Range and Organic eggs are worth the extra money.

The SuperTarget I shop at has their own Archer Farms branded Organic Free Range eggs for $3.49 per dozen. Their shells are a lovely brown color, which made my son turn up his nose, until he fried a couple up and raved about them.
I will never buy the store brand/"regular" eggs again. Organic ones are wonderful-the taste, color etc. can't even be compared to their "regular" counterparts.

If I had a bigger place and more ambition, I'd have a few layers and a cow. My son seems to think we have a cow hooked up directly to the fridge. I swear he drinks a gallon (hormone free only!) per day.
Go to Top of Page

bboopster
True Blue Farmgirl

1140 Posts

Betty Jo
West Bend Wisconsin
USA
1140 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2007 :  5:49:41 PM  Show Profile  Click to see bboopster's MSN Messenger address
The key to cooking venison is the way it is butchered. Don't let it hang to long the sooner the better to butcher it. It also makes a difference where the deer is from and what is in that area for it to eat. Corn feed much better then swap buck. You need to make sure that ALL fat, bones, bones dust and that slimy white silver lining is removed before cooking. You should be left with just meat nothing else. Wash it good before you package it. Takes a very long time to butcher but worth it. My X was the Great White hunter and for 15 years venison was the only red meat we would eat. I found it to be good in stew's chili, taco, anything with spices added. My cousin makes the tenderloin or rump roast in a slow cooker with gravy and lots of mushrooms and onions and cooks it all day until it falls apart. Also I found if I used it and cooked it like beef it worked much better. No need to cook it till it's well done unless you like well done beef. To this day my kids find beef to taste funny. But I have to be honest that I avoid it at all costs. Also wild turkey, goose, duck and other game birds and small animals. Must be that X thing. But I do like my veggies out of the garden. Hope this helps with the gamey taste

3 Blue Star Mother and Proud of it!
Pray for our troops to come home safe and soon.
Enjoying the road to the simple life :>)
Go to Top of Page

paradiseplantation
True Blue Farmgirl

1277 Posts

julie
social springs community Louisiana
USA
1277 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2007 :  08:36:58 AM  Show Profile
I've been selling mine for a dollar a dozen. Went I went up to $1.50, I lost all my customers. Had to go back to the original price. I was a city girl and wasn't real sure the first time I saw a farm fresh egg. Now, I can't do without them.

from the hearts of paradise...
Go to Top of Page

Hideaway Farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1553 Posts

Jo
Virginia
USA
1553 Posts

Posted - Sep 12 2007 :  07:36:59 AM  Show Profile
ALERT: I am about to show my citified background but I know you farmgirls won't make fun of me when I ask this question about fresh eggs: (anyone out there laughing already???)

Anyway, I am the unofficial devilled egg maker for friends and family get-togethers. I've always been told that older eggs are better for boiling/peeling; and I usually try to keep an extra dozen storebought eggs in the fridge so I don't have to use fresh-bought eggs when I make up a batch. Since I have now learned that these eggs are already aged by the time they hit the store shelves, my "dumb" question is:

Is there a problem when hard-boiling fresh eggs, specifically in being able to get the peel to come off cleanly from the cooked egg? Is this perhaps truly an urban legend?

So, whenever you are done laughing at my eggs-pense and can compose yourself at your keyboard, let those comments fly! Thanks! I truly want to try making my specialty with fresh eggs!

Jo

"Wish I had time to work with herbs all day!"
Go to Top of Page

mikesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3659 Posts

Sherri
Elma WA
USA
3659 Posts

Posted - Sep 12 2007 :  08:22:11 AM  Show Profile
I have never had any problem with peeling fresh eggs, but I put a little hole int he shell with a darning needle before I boil them.
Regarding venison, I was going to say exactly the same thing that Betty Jo did about the butchering. Hang time and temperature when it's hanging is also really crucial. If it's hot out when it's hanging, be sure and cut the hanging time.
In Montana, there are zillions of antelope where we have our cabin. We have never shot one, but all the neighbors tell us that the only time you want to shoot an antelope is in the spring because it makes all the difference in the world in the taste of the meat. Unfortunately, antelope season is not in the spring! But the piont is, they say the meat is delicious, and sweet in the spring, and very gamey in the fall. So there are a variety of factors that affect the flavor. But if you get it right, venison is absolutely delicious - very spendy at some uptown restaurants.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Farm fresh eggs Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page