Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Stitching & Crafting Room
 Quilt Block swap NEW INFO page 6 bottom
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Quilt Block swap NEW INFO page 6 bottom Next Topic
Page: of 10

thehouseminder
True Blue Farmgirl

361 Posts

USA
361 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2005 :  4:50:32 PM  Show Profile
I, too would like to know if it is 12" or 12.5"

Also, and please forgive me if this was mentioned earlier but I have had family stuff going on and do not have time to read all 7 pages, Is there a specific block pattern we are to use or can we just select a block to do.

For example, earlier this year QuiltingQueen and I swapped. We each selected the pattern we wanted to use. I know that some swaps settle on one thing, for example, The Log Cabin, and go with that.

By the way, the block QuiltingQueen sent was the most amazing block I have ever seen! Such wonderful colors. She really has a way with a needle.

Lucinda

Who loves a garden still his Eden keeps, Perennial pleasures plants, and wholesome harvest reaps. ---Bronson Alcott

Go to Top of Page

quilt8305
True Blue Farmgirl

409 Posts

Mary
Spokane WA
USA
409 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2005 :  7:19:22 PM  Show Profile
Kate,
Can you clear up this confusion?
Mary
The great use of life is to spend it for something that will outlast it. Wm. James

Edited by - quilt8305 on Oct 10 2005 7:20:51 PM
Go to Top of Page

AnnieT
True Blue Farmgirl

287 Posts

Annie

287 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2005 :  8:54:34 PM  Show Profile
Quilt blocks should be 12 1/2 inches unfinished, so when sewn into a quilt they are 12" squares. Please remember these are pieced quilt blocks, not just 12 1/2 inch squares of fabric. As far as color and pattern goes, I think that is up to everyone individually. I think it is easiest this first time around to NOT be so specific.

Annie
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2005 :  10:42:34 PM  Show Profile
That is what I thought too...12 1/2 inches to make a 12" block..hey sqrl..we could add a small "border" to yours..I wouldnt worry about it!! And I agree Annie..that it shouldn't be too specific this time around...it will be fun to do a sampler type quilt from squares from my farmgirl friends..now to get on to making some!!

Jenny in Utah
Put all your eggs in one basket..and then watch that basket!! Mark Twain
Go to Top of Page

thehouseminder
True Blue Farmgirl

361 Posts

USA
361 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2005 :  08:48:10 AM  Show Profile
Phew!!!

Thanks ladies.

Now I can get started

Lucinda

P.S. sqrl, I wouldn't worry about it either. I agree we can just ad a little border to your blocks.

Who loves a garden still his Eden keeps, Perennial pleasures plants, and wholesome harvest reaps. ---Bronson Alcott

Go to Top of Page

Kate
MaryJane's Farmgirl

135 Posts

Kate
Moscow ID
USA
135 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2005 :  09:35:03 AM  Show Profile
Good Morning!!
Sorry about all the confusion yesterday. I'm in the process of getting my computer connected to the network out at the farm so that's why I've been way from my e-mail and the forum for so long (all day yesterday) Sorry ladies. I think everything is done now so I'm trying to get everything caught up again. I've read a little and received some e-mails about the quilt group being a little to big. I'd be happy to split it up and re send it. I can make groups of 10 to 12 whatever works best for you ladies. Just let me know. Thanks

Tomorrow is always fresh with no mistakes in it.
Go to Top of Page

dianemrk
Farmgirl at Heart

4 Posts

Diane
Thomson IL
USA
4 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2005 :  11:14:45 AM  Show Profile  Send dianemrk an AOL message
Hi I just joined and would like to get in with a quilt block swap. Send me any info about what kind and when
Thanks, Diane / Illinois
Go to Top of Page

Kate
MaryJane's Farmgirl

135 Posts

Kate
Moscow ID
USA
135 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2005 :  12:44:52 PM  Show Profile
Hello Diane Just e-mail the quilt block link with your name address phone number and I'll send you the list. Thanks

Go to Top of Page

quilt8305
True Blue Farmgirl

409 Posts

Mary
Spokane WA
USA
409 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2005 :  12:59:41 PM  Show Profile
Kate, Will you also send the new name and address to those already on the list so we can add it?
Mary

The great use of life is to spend it for something that will outlast it. Wm. James
Go to Top of Page

Utahfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1940 Posts

Portland Oregon
USA
1940 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2005 :  1:43:24 PM  Show Profile
Kate, I'm confused as usual. Are we suppossed to wait for a list? Thanks, Patricia

Happy Wishes!
Go to Top of Page

Kate
MaryJane's Farmgirl

135 Posts

Kate
Moscow ID
USA
135 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2005 :  2:05:47 PM  Show Profile
Hello Again
Patricia I'll re send you the list that I sent last week. It might not have made it to you. My e-mail isn't working at this time (oh boy it's been a week already Ü) but when it does I'll get the list to you.

As far as new people being added on the list what I think I'm going to do is start a new list. So anyone new will be put on a new list and can get started with their squares early. When the list is full (10 or 12) I'll send it out to the new gals. This way the lists don’t get to big and we aren't adding any new names. Hope this works for everyone! Thanks so much Happy Tuesday.

Go to Top of Page

quilt8305
True Blue Farmgirl

409 Posts

Mary
Spokane WA
USA
409 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2005 :  2:08:54 PM  Show Profile
Great idea Kate.
Mary

Go to Top of Page

Utahfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1940 Posts

Portland Oregon
USA
1940 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2005 :  2:46:44 PM  Show Profile
Kate, I got the list! I had it momentarily confused with the charm square list. Thanks!

I think it's a good idea to split up the list before it gets too big. When we get done with one, we can go on to the other, if we want to.

Patricia

Happy Wishes!
Go to Top of Page

sqrl
True Blue Farmgirl

605 Posts

Melissa
Northern California
USA
605 Posts

Posted - Oct 12 2005 :  11:03:32 AM  Show Profile
So I have another question. This block is not supposed to be a single piece of fabric? It's supposed to be quilted already like a log cabit or something? I'm not much of a quilter so I'm not explaining myself right. And if it is supposed to be all sown up already I've got me a lot of work ahead so it'll be a while before they're out to everyone. Since I'm not much of a quilter may be I'll embroider them instead. Can Someone clear this up.. Pleaseb :o)

Blessed Be
www.sqrlbee.com www.sisterhood.sqrlbee.com

Go to Top of Page

Kate
MaryJane's Farmgirl

135 Posts

Kate
Moscow ID
USA
135 Posts

Posted - Oct 12 2005 :  11:10:55 AM  Show Profile
I'm not much of a quilter either but from what I've read everyone is just doing as much as they can and what you feel comfortable with. I think that anything that you come up with everyone will love. I don't think it is suppose to be one piece of fabric because that's what the charm square is. Anyway I'm rambling hope that helps if not maybe someone more crafty than me can help!!
Kate

Go to Top of Page

Fabulous Farm Femmes
True Blue Farmgirl

792 Posts

Diane
Lakebay, Tacoma WA
792 Posts

Posted - Oct 12 2005 :  11:40:36 AM  Show Profile  Send Fabulous Farm Femmes an AOL message
Hey Melissa,and all other Quilting Newbies:

Don't feel bad about asking questions, we all had to learn at one time.
A quilt block exchange goes something like this:

Each participant makes quilt blocks of a predetermined finished size. We have picked a 12 1/2" block. It can be a pieced block, an embroidered one, an applique'd block, what ever you desire, as long as the finished size is 12 1/2"s.

When the block is "finished" you mail it out: that means just the top square, no batting no backing.

When we are all finished exchanging, we should each have received a goodly number of finished blocks to then make a freindship quilt in whatever manner we each deire.

Does that help?
Go to Top of Page

Kate
MaryJane's Farmgirl

135 Posts

Kate
Moscow ID
USA
135 Posts

Posted - Oct 12 2005 :  11:48:19 AM  Show Profile
Helps ME Thanks!!

Go to Top of Page

quilt8305
True Blue Farmgirl

409 Posts

Mary
Spokane WA
USA
409 Posts

Posted - Oct 12 2005 :  11:51:33 AM  Show Profile
May I add this Diane, I think there is a lot of confusion between charm squares and quilt blocks. Charm squares are single pieces of fabric and quilt blocks are pieced or appliqued. The block should not be quilted, just pieced or appliqued. Otherwise it would be very difficult to put them together in a quilt top. It is up to the recipient to assemble their blocks and "quilt as desired". And there seems to be a lot of confusion about the size of the block: it should be 12 1/2 inches in its unfinished state. That means it is a 12" block with a 1/4" seam allowance on each side so that when the blocks are sewn together, using that 1/4" seam allowance, they will be 12". And don't forget to sign your block! There is a type of permanent ink pen available at quilt stores called a Pigma Pen that is perfect for signing. Ironing your block to the shiny side of freezer paper stabilizes it for signing. I have done a couple of quilt block swaps, so if there are any other questions I would be happy to help.

Edited by - quilt8305 on Oct 12 2005 12:02:45 PM
Go to Top of Page

Fabulous Farm Femmes
True Blue Farmgirl

792 Posts

Diane
Lakebay, Tacoma WA
792 Posts

Posted - Oct 12 2005 :  3:16:58 PM  Show Profile  Send Fabulous Farm Femmes an AOL message
Thanks Mary, you said that much better than I did.
Go to Top of Page

Kate
MaryJane's Farmgirl

135 Posts

Kate
Moscow ID
USA
135 Posts

Posted - Oct 12 2005 :  3:49:14 PM  Show Profile
Hello Ladies I've been looking over everything and I think that tomorrow morning I will send out three lists for the quilt blocks that way everyone can be on a list right now and things don't get out of hand. I think that the lists will be groups of 13 or 14 looking at the list now there have been a few more people sign up and it's about 35 gals big. So I hope that works for everyone. Have a great afternoon!!
Kate

Go to Top of Page

Kate
MaryJane's Farmgirl

135 Posts

Kate
Moscow ID
USA
135 Posts

Posted - Oct 12 2005 :  3:50:08 PM  Show Profile
oops I mean groups of 12. Long DayÜ

Go to Top of Page

quilt8305
True Blue Farmgirl

409 Posts

Mary
Spokane WA
USA
409 Posts

Posted - Oct 12 2005 :  7:19:11 PM  Show Profile
Thirteen per list would be perfect - that way each person would make twelve blocks and receive twelve blocks. They would not be making a block for themselves. Twelve would mean making one block for yourself which isn't a bad thing either because you usually make a sample to try out your pattern.

Mary

Edited by - quilt8305 on Oct 12 2005 7:20:43 PM
Go to Top of Page

sqrl
True Blue Farmgirl

605 Posts

Melissa
Northern California
USA
605 Posts

Posted - Oct 13 2005 :  09:58:17 AM  Show Profile
Diane, Thank you so much. That really clears everything up for me and I'm sure others feel the same.
Also since I cut all my squares already to be just 12"
(I misunderstood) and everyone advice was that they will put a border on it when they make their quilt. Will that work out with everyone? I feel kind of bad, like I'm making more work for everyone.
So now we will be a list of 12 or 13 I think thats great, much easier for everyone. I think I'm going to embroider and applique mine, since I much better at that. I hope my little mistake doesn't cause much more work for everyone. I'll try to see what I can do to fix it.
Blessed Be
www.sqrlbee.com www.sisterhood.sqrlbee.com

Edited by - sqrl on Oct 13 2005 10:14:18 AM
Go to Top of Page

quilt8305
True Blue Farmgirl

409 Posts

Mary
Spokane WA
USA
409 Posts

Posted - Oct 13 2005 :  10:24:17 AM  Show Profile
Melissa, don't worry about the difference in size. It is easy to put a 1/2 inch strip around a block to size it up. That would leave a narrow 1/4" border that will probably just add interest.

Mary

Go to Top of Page

thehouseminder
True Blue Farmgirl

361 Posts

USA
361 Posts

Posted - Oct 13 2005 :  10:48:54 AM  Show Profile
Don't worry Melissa. It really will take less than 5 minutes to put a little border on your blocks. Besides, I love applique and embroidery.

Can't wait to see your blocks

Lucinda

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 10 Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Quilt Block swap NEW INFO page 6 bottom Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page