Author Cleaning Up: Previous Topic Dishes? Next Topic  

babysmama
True Blue Farmgirl

931 Posts

Elizabeth
Iowa
931 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2007 :  4:58:41 PM  Show Profile
What is your house rule about dishes? Do you wash them after each meal, throw them in the dishwasher and run it once a day, or let them stack up until they are crusty and smelly?! I am having a horrible time keeping on top of the dishes and need a system!! We do have a dishwasher and hubby has been a dear in loading it lately but I tend to let the pans or other non-dishwasher items sit too long. Tell me what works for you!!!
-Elizabeth

joyfulmama
True Blue Farmgirl

1175 Posts

Debra
Silver Springs NV
USA
1175 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2007 :  5:26:31 PM  Show Profile
ELizabeth, I have 6 children- we wash a load after each and every meal.. sometimes the olders will try to leave soaking dishes forever but I am cracking down on this. I want the sink cleaned out after each meal.. plus our sink is quite small- to leave it filled makes us look like we are filthy pigs.. :-)
debra
Go to Top of Page

PlumCreekMama
True Blue Farmgirl

730 Posts

Heather
Iowa
USA
730 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2007 :  7:35:42 PM  Show Profile
My husband has two household responsibilities-taking out garbage and doing dishes. These are the two things I hate the most. He works a lot, so he usually doesn't get to them until the sink is overflowing and you can't use the water. I don't care though. I hate dishes!
Go to Top of Page

wallflower
True Blue Farmgirl

101 Posts

Holly
East Walpole MA
USA
101 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2007 :  7:40:30 PM  Show Profile
I usually wait until the sink is full too--but I have been trying to load the dishwasher, and more importantly, unload the dishwasher when it is finished running! That way it is ready for the next load. I am also trying to teach my kids how to load it.

http://handittoholly.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

carycamille
True Blue Farmgirl

163 Posts

Camille
Cathlamet Washington
USA
163 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2007 :  11:22:02 PM  Show Profile
I'm not always good at unloading and loading but I do rinse off my dishes before leaving them in the sink. That way if they sit there for a while it doesn't stink.

Camille

www.mypowermall.com/biz/home/14088
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Sep 03 2007 :  05:17:06 AM  Show Profile
I "try" to do them after every meal, or anything I do in the kitchen that takes up more than one pot or whatever. I HATE dishes, and the smaller the amount, the easier it is for me to tackle.

Our kitchen is also really small, so any clutter at all just makes it look terrible--a sink full of dishes, especially. We don't have a diswasher (no room!) so I try to keep up on it.

My dh offers to do them but it takes him 6 hours to get a sink load done. Rather just do it myself :)

"She was built like a watch, a study in balance ... with a neck and head so refined, like a drawing by DaVinci"...
NY Newsday sportswriter Bill Nack describing filly, Ruffian.
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Sep 03 2007 :  08:08:10 AM  Show Profile
I used to be bad at it too. But, then I made a rule for myself, any time I got up to do something (go to the bathroom, etc) I would just do 4 dishes, and wouldn't make myself do any more then that, unless I really wanted to. After making that rule for a few months I kept with just 4 dishes each time I was up doing something....but after a while I found it didn't take long really to do the dishes, so I pretty much do them after each meal now. It only takes about 2 minutes sometimes 3 if there is a lot! And that's not much. I think I used to just dread it. But, when I figured out it doesn't take as long as I built it up in my mind, it makes it easier.
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Sep 03 2007 :  08:09:25 AM  Show Profile
PS I can NOT stand a full sink. It makes me feel overwhelmed, so I find keeping the "big" dishes out of it, helps me want to do them more. IE if I use a big soup pot, I do NOT put it in the sink till I am ready to wash it. Otherwise it will make it look like the sink is full of dishes and make me feel overwhelmed and then I just want to hide from them! lol I finding keeping the sink as empty as possible makes it seem more doable.
Go to Top of Page

Hideaway Farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1553 Posts

Jo
Virginia
USA
1553 Posts

Posted - Sep 03 2007 :  2:47:15 PM  Show Profile
I like to clean up aftet every meal; I hate thinking about the dishes every time I walk thoruhg the kitchen...that takes up a lot more time than just doing the darn things. I do cheat, though, and get on the telephone as I am washing, drying, loading or unloading...that way it seem that the tiem goes by quickly and I am having more fun!

One quirk; a certain family member instigated me to (through her continuous, adaily example) of leaving the dishes undone ... ONE NIGHT A YEAR! DH never knows when this is going to happen and it freaks him out every time. I love it, I feel so lazy and decadent, but I only do it once a year. Once I did it twice a year, but then it wasn't as special...and I find I prefer having a clena sink to come back to, even if it's just at bedtime when we come back into the kitchen for that last snack...

DH also taught me to wash as I go, so if I am preparing a particularly messy meal I will try to clena up after myself as much as I can while I am cooking the rest of the meal, so it isn't as bad when we get up to clear the table.

Jo

"Wish I had time to work with herbs all day!"
Go to Top of Page
  Cleaning Up: Previous Topic Dishes? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page