Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Reading Room
 Nine Parts of Desire by Geraldine Brooks
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Reading Room: Previous Topic Nine Parts of Desire by Geraldine Brooks Next Topic  

taylor
honeybee

40 Posts

40 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2004 :  5:35:33 PM  Show Profile
I just read this great, informative non-fiction book about women in Isam. It explained a lot of things that I was confused about, ie. all the different names for muslim women's veils and coverings and the differences between them. I could barely put it down. As a woman it sometimes made me fell outraged. And at other times it filled me with respect for this religion and for the different muslim cultures across the Middle East, North Africa, and Indonesia that so many Americans know so little about.

I think I will read Reading Lolita in Tehran next — well after I finish The Devil Wears Prada (you've gotta lighten it up sometimes — actually between you and me I think its pretty pathetic that this book has been on the New York Times Best Seller List since it is pretty poorly written, oh well we can't all be Jane Austin's can we.)

Anyway, I recommend this book to any women who are interested in women's rights and issues.

ElizArtist
True Blue Farmgirl

113 Posts

Elizabeth
Newbury Park California
USA
113 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2004 :  11:10:19 AM  Show Profile
I have heard of this book, and I will read it now. I am reading a lot of dance related things depending on where I am in the house, The Tribal Bible which really would only interest belly dancers, Connections is Gabrielle Roth's new book on the 5 threads of intuitive wisdom, her book Sweat you prayers is a favorite of mine, A Big New Free Happy Unusual Live by Nina Wise is great for all types of artists (human = artist). One of my favorite books that I keep by my bedside is Peace Is Every Step by Thich Nhat Hanh. There are piles of other books I love, but I'll spare you!
Elizabeth

joyously dancing through life
Go to Top of Page
  Reading Room: Previous Topic Nine Parts of Desire by Geraldine Brooks Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page