Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 Are you looking forward to Fall yet?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic Are you looking forward to Fall yet? Next Topic
Page: of 2

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2007 :  08:50:24 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
It is still hot and muggy out, here in Moscow. But the nights are starting to get colder and a lot of the green grass is yellowing. Certain mountian plants that are always red are now the most visible plant which gives a seasonal foreshadowing of the leaf change to come.

I love fall- the smells, the colors, the warm cuddly hoodie sweatshirts, the meals, and the slowing down of the hurried pace of summer.

This winter will be the first winter where I get to stay home! I am so excited! I am going to have so much to do, though. I have Nora and the house to look after which is a full time job in of it's self.

One of the things that I am really looking forward to is doing all the "farmgirl" things that I haven't been able to do during the summer. I am looking forward to warming up the house with baking bread and taking the time while Nora naps to work on embroidery or quilting. I think this winter is going to be amazing!

Alee
The amazing one handed typist! One hand for typing, one hand to hold Nora!
http://home.test-afl.tulix.com/aleeandnora/

Cheryl
True Blue Farmgirl

919 Posts

Cheryl
Magalia CA
USA
919 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2007 :  08:56:40 AM  Show Profile
Alee that sounds wonderful! I love fall also, but I will have to wait until the end of sept to start seeing the fall colors. This time of year I am ready to switch gears for cooler weather. Have a great day!
Cheryl

I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Philippians 4:13
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2007 :  09:12:44 AM  Show Profile
I just love fall too..my favorite season for sure..can't say things slow down here but I always seem to have more energy when it cools down. It is hot here now too...not like July but hot for sure. It makes me start thinking ahead to the holidays and baking more and the cinnamon smell the house seems to take on!

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Mikki
True Blue Farmgirl

1510 Posts

Mikki
Austin Indiana
USA
1510 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2007 :  09:39:49 AM  Show Profile
Fall is a good way off here in Southern Indiana also, but I am looking forward to it I was just saying to myself yesterday. I am NOT a fall person, Spring is my favorite, with so much life and color. Fall offers a beautiful pallete thats for sure, and until last year I never really enjoyed it. I think because Fall is always when my depression would become worse so I learned to dread Fall coming. Holding up in the house, unplugging the phone, and isolating myself from any life form that I could just so I didn't have to talk to anyone. Last year was totally different, I really enjoyed it and even got out to soak in the beautiful scenery. I had started a new medication a few months before, and it totally changed my life for the better thats for sure. So this year, I am soooo looking forward to Autumn!!!

~~Blessings, Mikki Jo

www.mikkijo.etsy.com

http://burningmeadowsprings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Brew Crew
True Blue Farmgirl

676 Posts

Molly
Arizona
676 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2007 :  10:09:13 AM  Show Profile
I have been counting the days! I can't wait to set up all my fall decorations and start baking my favorite pumpkin cheesecake (can't justify making it any other time of year!). Also am looking forward to cutting back on our water and electricity bill!

Wish I lived anywhere else at this time of year, though, all the color everywhere else is so lovely! I want to see pictures as it changes, and I'll pretend I am there!

"There is a Happy Dale far, far away. . ." -Arsenic and Old Lace
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2007 :  11:42:01 AM  Show Profile
I love Fall! It is getting close here as I can feel a different coolness in the air at night. I can hardly wait. By the time August rolls around I'm tired of the dry and hot weather. Everything is so brown and dusty. I'm longing for a cool, cloudy rainy day!!

http://therusticcottage.blogspot.com

Visit my Etsy Shop! http://therusticcottage.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Utahfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1940 Posts

Portland Oregon
USA
1940 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2007 :  12:04:33 PM  Show Profile
Fall is my favorite season. I tried to restrain myself but I put up Fall and even Haloween decorations last week! I kept back on the thanksgiving except for three turkeys that are just too funny to hide. I have rubber duckies in Halloween costumes that I will scatter around the house (and ones in Pilgrim and Indian costumes that I'll put out after Halloween), my scarecrows are in the garden, my autumn wreaths are up, and woo hoo! I love it! Now for a nice rainstorm and cooler air.

Farmgirl hug,
Patricia

check out my etsy site http://ThePlayfulFarmgirl.etsy.com

Take me home, country roads
Go to Top of Page

Lavender Cottage
True Blue Farmgirl

273 Posts

Ellen

USA
273 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2007 :  12:23:20 PM  Show Profile
I have to agree with Mikki-my favorite season is Spring but I do enjoy walking and hearing the fall leaves crush under foot. They are just starting to change here in SW Michigan and will most likely be beautiful soon
That is so funny Patricia that you put out your fall decorations. Oh-my Halloween isn't that far off now is it! :)
I want to buy some mums and leave for the new owners. See my Moving Soon topic. I'm looking forward to seeing what the fall is like in NC. I've traveled when the leaves in the Virginias had changed and it's awesome to see them on the blue ridge mountains.
Hearing about all the baking-I'm wanting a home baked afternoon snack with my tea. :)
Ellen
Go to Top of Page

GaiasRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2552 Posts

Tasha-Rose
St. Paul Minnesota
2552 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2007 :  12:40:20 PM  Show Profile
I am so ready. the garden is pretty much done except for a few things that stick around until the cool weather comes. I was thinking last night when I pulled out my perkalator (is that how that is spelled?) that I cannot wait to make mulled cider in it! I love the cool air and the chilly breezes and the warm food and drink that comes with the season. It's my favorite. it's also the season I associate with loving Rob. We started dating when we were kids in October. this year it will be 13 years that we have loved each other dispite some distance between us along the way. He is my best friend and the friend I have had for the longest and Fall ALWAYS reminds me of that.

~*~Brightest Blessings~*~
Tasha-Rose

Blogs: http://gaiarose.wordpress.com
http://womonandsprout.wordpress.com
Homepage:
http://ForestFaeries.etsy.com
Birth is safe, interference is risky; TRUST BIRTH
Go to Top of Page

mima
True Blue Farmgirl

1573 Posts

1573 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2007 :  12:52:22 PM  Show Profile
Fall is my favorite time of year too!!!
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2007 :  12:55:46 PM  Show Profile
Tasha, that was so eloquently put. I don't feel I have much more to add except that I don't love Rob, but I'm sure I would really think he was great if I met him!

I was born in October (Houdini and I share a birthday, and also the day Edgar Allen Poe passed). Since before I can remember, my birthday was celebrated with pumpkin something...cake, cookies, whatever, and I've always gotten something decorative or to wear that identifies with fall for my day. I have quite the collection!!! I love the colors and the fabrics and the warmth. I LOVE the smell that occurs when you first turn on the furnace. It reminds me of school days all over again, when I would sit over the register with my gown pulled over my legs to trap the heat.

Yay! Can't come too soon for me, but I fear with the drought we've had, it won't be such a pretty one this year.

"She was built like a watch, a study in balance ... with a neck and head so refined, like a drawing by DaVinci"...
NY Newsday sportswriter Bill Nack describing filly, Ruffian.
Go to Top of Page

a rose
True Blue Farmgirl

443 Posts

Linda
Waterford NY
USA
443 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2007 :  1:55:23 PM  Show Profile
Well ladies, the leaves have started turning colors here and yes Fall is pretty but I dread what comes after it. My daughter Lisa loved Fall and she died October the 12th 1996. It was a beautiful colorful day that day and I felt bad that I couldn't get her to the window to see the colors. She was 32 when she died of cancer and I bet she is waiting for the colors to change even now.

Remember me as a rose.
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2007 :  2:15:36 PM  Show Profile
It was actually cool this morning! 71 degrees and no humidity! I LOVE fall and can't wait!

Felt and Fabric Crafts
www.willowartist.etsy.com
www.willowtreecreek.com
BLOG
www.willowtreecreek.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

newmomma327
Farmgirl in Training

32 Posts

Tabatha
Michigan
USA
32 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2007 :  4:57:16 PM  Show Profile
I too am an October birthday girl and being close to Halloween (the 25th) I always tried to get a Halloween themed party going. This year I'm so excited to share the fall/halloween/apple picking/hay rides/pumpkin carving with my little daughter. Last year she was still a little one just kind of being carried through the festivities but this year with her running and talking I know she's going to have a blast. Anyone started on costumes for Halloween yet? I'm thinking she's going to be Snow White and I'm trying to get her big brother and dad to be one of the dwarfs.
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9348 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9348 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2007 :  6:35:41 PM  Show Profile
Here,here Molly. I too am looking forward to a lower electric bill.
I love fall. My very favorite season. Love hauling ouut those big old sweaters and my flannels for sleeping.
And Jonni I thought I was weird or something for liking that smell the furnace makes the first time it comes on. Just something about it, maybe a good memory from when I was still a kid. I figure if someone else likes it then I am not weird. :)
Linda, So sorry about you losing your daughter. I'm sure it must be a very difficult time for you each year.
My daughter's birthday is the 19th of October and she never liked her birthday being in the fall. On her 19th birthday(she's 23 now) she had a masquerade party and at one point during the evening there was a lull. I suggested they dunk for apples and she thought sure everyone would think I was nuts... but lo they all thought it was a great idea and they had a blast! So now every year she wants to have a masquerade party. Except this year they are doing it in December for her brother's 20th. She says she likes fall now but she loves summer best.

"The earth is the Lord's and the fullness thereof and all that dwell therein."

www.torismimi.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4738 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4738 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2007 :  8:49:07 PM  Show Profile
I'm anxious for a cool, brisk, autumn too. I shudder to think what our next electric bill will look like. It has been an awful summer here in IL. Humid, hot, rainy, humid, hot, you get the picture. I can't wait to make a big pot of chili!

Dawn in IL
Go to Top of Page

Shirlaroo
True Blue Farmgirl

297 Posts

Shirley

Australia
297 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2007 :  9:48:40 PM  Show Profile
Oh! Autumn over there sounds so beautiful. How fun it would be to jump into a huge pile of leaves. We don't have many trees that loose their leaves in Australia. But boy, is Autumn welcomed after our long hot summers. Of course over here, in Australia, today is the first day of Spring. Spring is my favourite season.

Friends are the best collectables.

Edited by - Shirlaroo on Aug 31 2007 9:56:38 PM
Go to Top of Page

junkjunkie
True Blue Farmgirl

1306 Posts

Judy
Lawrenceville NJ
USA
1306 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2007 :  05:55:26 AM  Show Profile
Fall have always been my favorite time of the year. I love that at the end of August, the nights start to get a little cooler and everything starts to mellow. My garden is overgrown now, so I'll have to start cleaning it up and putting in some mums and astors. I love pumpkins and gourds and go a little crazy buying them! They seem so sculptural to me. I love the colors and the richness of the season when temperatures start to get crisp. Also, it's a good time for flea markets and antiquing...not to mention house tours. I'm a voyeur...I admit it! September and October are the best!

"To have life in focus, we must have death in our field of vision." Benedictine monk John Main
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2007 :  06:30:58 AM  Show Profile
Shiraloo, when you said, of course, this is the first day of Spring in Australia, it made me laugh. I love Spring, but I don't wanna go back because of the summer that came after it!!!

So many birthdays so close to mine! I'm the 20th of October--when I was a kid, I was the only name on the pumpkin bulletin board, all through elementary school, so my mom always brought halloween cupcakes and things to share with my class.

Denise, the smell of the heater really is my childhood, I think, and in the winter, whenever I smell something burning, I always check the soles of my shoes--my gran's registers would get so hot from her coal furnace, that it would melt your rubber soles!!!

Linda, I'm sorry too, about your daughter. I'm sure she is up there, waiting for them to change. Hope the leaves are brilliant this year, where you are.

"She was built like a watch, a study in balance ... with a neck and head so refined, like a drawing by DaVinci"...
NY Newsday sportswriter Bill Nack describing filly, Ruffian.
Go to Top of Page

jennym
True Blue Farmgirl

76 Posts

Jenny
Green Lane PA
USA
76 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2007 :  06:32:10 AM  Show Profile
Oh, I just love fall! It's absolutely my favorite season. My birthday is in October (although this one is the big four-oh, so I'm not looking forward to that so much!), and my son's is the day after mine. By this time of year I'm more then ready for an end to the hot humid days. The first day of cool temps and fresh air is so wonderful! I love the fall colors, the cool weather, the cozy clothes, getting out our down comforter and mattress cover which make our bed feel oh-so-heavenly, the smells of the leaves on the ground and the leaf piles being burned (although we save all ours for compost!). I love the fall activities like picking apples and making homemade applesauce, visiting corn mazes, hay rides....I love opening up the house and having the fresh air replace the stale air-conditioned air, and sleeping so comfortably at night and waking up to crisp mornings....ahhhhh.
And of course it's all the lead-in to my next favorite season - winter!

Be still and know that I am God. Psalm 46:10
Go to Top of Page

Annie S
True Blue Farmgirl

756 Posts

Annie
Custer S.D.
USA
756 Posts

Posted - Sep 03 2007 :  7:07:07 PM  Show Profile
Love the fall too. In fact the Aspen leaves are turning yellow now in the high country of the Black Hills. It's beautiful here in the fall. Still have a lot of tourists driving through the Hills enjoying the colors and scenery.

But in some ways I miss walking through the maple tree leaves of Minnesota in the fall and raking them up into piles and jumping into the piles with the grandkids. Where we live all we have are pine trees around us now, so no raking.

Fall also puts me in the mood to bake anything, especially breads of all sorts.

Molly, used to live in Gold Canyon down there in the winters for a number of years. Have friends that winter in Queen Creek.

Peace and love,
Annie
Go to Top of Page

mikesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3659 Posts

Sherri
Elma WA
USA
3659 Posts

Posted - Sep 03 2007 :  7:23:27 PM  Show Profile
I must be in the mood for fall - if you read my post about my productive and enjoyable day you'll probably be able to tell I love autumn.
Go to Top of Page

Libbie
Farmgirl Connection Cultivator

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Sep 03 2007 :  10:00:43 PM  Show Profile
Autumn ranks right up there for me, too, as my favorite season. There is something about the excitement in the crispness of the air that you just can't find any other time of year. I also think of it as a sort of new year - when I can review the gardens, pasture, "land," etc. for what worked and didn't work so well - and the same with my life, too, actually! I guess autumn is really more of my "new year" thank January!!!

XOXO, Libbie

Go to Top of Page

AFMom
True Blue Farmgirl

100 Posts

Erica
North Dakota
USA
100 Posts

Posted - Sep 04 2007 :  03:58:24 AM  Show Profile
Hi Girls,

I am so excited about Fall coming this year....actually I think it is happening now because I am writing this at 6:52am and it is 54 degrees....I love it. No more AC and no more bugs....yeahh!! But the more important reason I am excited is because we are in the country and fall is always super in the country. Many farmers are already selling their pumpkins...

Autumn has always been my most favorite time of the year. I love everything about it, the cooler weather, leaves changing, decorating, the holidays (Halloween and Thanksgiving), hiking, cooking fun sweets that I just don't in summer, sleeping with the window cracked, the smell of smoke from chimney's in the air..oh, an I cannot forget my all time favorite movie that I still force my kids to watch..."It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown!". Fall gives me second wind....it is my Spring...that sounds odd I know, but that is me! Happy Fall everyone!

Erica:)
Go to Top of Page

mellaisbella
True Blue Farmgirl

1862 Posts

melanie
living on Anne of Green Gables land
Canada
1862 Posts

Posted - Sep 04 2007 :  05:13:12 AM  Show Profile
Jenny, I thought I was the only one that liked winter;)!! I fo love fall also. I love everything about it....pulling out sweaters, getting the wood ready, making pickles, picking apples in my orchard .......I also like that most all of our farmer friends aren't quite as busy so we have people over more and go visiting more, it is a great time of the year!!!

"learn to watch snails" SARK
Go to Top of Page

Leezard
True Blue Farmgirl

950 Posts

Elizabeth
Novi MI
USA
950 Posts

Posted - Sep 04 2007 :  05:46:48 AM  Show Profile
Fall is my favorite season as well! I love the cooler weather, getting to wear jeans, sweatshirts and sweaters. It's been easy to tell that it's coming because of the way the sunlight is coming in at a different angle and the crispness in the air in the morning and at night-it's still warming up over 80 during the day. I'm lucky to live in Michigan where we get the leaves changing colors and I always look forward to watching that event each year. My parents hold a "harvest party" each October as well, it's something that family and friends have come to look forward to and everyone has a good time. We have a potluck dinner, a bonfire, a hayride and a lot of chatting.

http://ruby--slippers.blogspot.com/
www.leezard.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Across the Fence: Previous Topic Are you looking forward to Fall yet? Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page