Author **Welcome Wagon: Previous Topic Rookie Farmgirl here Next Topic  

springbabes
Farmgirl at Heart

4 Posts

Cindy
UT
4 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2004 :  1:02:33 PM  Show Profile
I just stumbled onto this forum while trying to find information on goats--what a cool place!

My husband and I just bought a suburban house on 3 acres with animal rights. We plan on growing and raising as much food as possible. Our aim is to be more sustainable. I have been growing an organic garden for the past couple of years, but that's the extent of what I know. I grew up in Southern California so the whole farming thing is very foreign to me. We got our first chicks on Friday. Unfortuately two of them died yesterday but the other six seem to be doing great. Goats will be next for us and then maybe a pig. I also need to learn to can--we have 3 huge apricot trees here as well as some peach, apple and plum trees. In between unpacking boxes I managed to plant a garden--corn, tomatoes, peppers, pumpkins, squash, beans, carrots, soybeans, cucumbers, broccoli, and cabbage--did I forget anything?

I am a SAHM to three kids--my girls are 7 and 5 and my baby boy is 14 months. They are ecstatic to have a farm. I love reading, garage saling, sewing, scrapbooking, and any kind of crafts.

I am excited to learn the art of farming and now I have somewhere to talk about it.

Cindy

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2004 :  1:31:51 PM  Show Profile
Welcome Cindy from Utah! This is a fun forum in which to share and learn. In the gardening section recently I made a post regarding canning and freezing with some links you can check out. That will get you pointed in the right direction for food. With your interests you will find so much in common with many of us here... take some time to explore the site and contribute. Love to hear your ideas too!

Gardener, Stitcher, Spiritual Explorer and Appreciator of all Things Natural
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2004 :  10:05:24 PM  Show Profile
Hi Cindy..and welcome. I am in Utah too..and originally from Calif. Small world. Sounds like you will fit right in here. Welcome to the family!!

Jenny in Utah

Bloom where you are planted!
Go to Top of Page

Cowgurl
Farmgirl in Training

34 Posts

Robin
middle Tennessee
34 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2004 :  3:27:31 PM  Show Profile  Send Cowgurl a Yahoo! Message
Hi Cindy...welcome. I too am just about to get started farming after having grown an organic garden in our suburban home. We move to our farm in south Tennessee tomorrow! We will have chickens, dairy goats, a huge organic plot, and a small orchard - along with our horses and dogs.

I also have two girls - 6 and 2.

Robin

Cowgurl, farmgurl, momgurl, wifegurl...
Go to Top of Page

cecelia
True Blue Farmgirl

497 Posts

cecelia
new york
USA
497 Posts

Posted - Jun 28 2004 :  07:40:56 AM  Show Profile
Welcome Springbabes!

I'm a little late, but welcome to the forum. Sounds like you are having a great time on your place. I too am now on a suburban "farm" although we can't have chickens, etc. I'm just getting back into having a large garden, after having let my garden go fallow last year due to some health problems. I do have a herb garden also, so any information on that would be helpful. Great to have you here.

Cecelia

ce's farm
Go to Top of Page
  **Welcome Wagon: Previous Topic Rookie Farmgirl here Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page