Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Parenting & Farm Kids
 wondering how you all educate your kids
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Parenting & Farm Kids: Previous Topic wondering how you all educate your kids Next Topic
Page: of 2

ArmyWifey
True Blue Farmgirl

712 Posts

Holly
Abilene KS
712 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2007 :  10:48:42 AM  Show Profile
UrbanChick : Well honestly - most of us who homeschool do not feel talented, super intelligent or patient! We do it because we beleive it to be the best option for our kiddos/that God has directed us to. I tell people all the time I am surely NO saint! The Lord is teaching me patience through homeschooling!! That's for dang sure --- just ask my children! And you relearn lots of stuff as you go as well. Not saying you are a HORRIBLE mom just encouraging you that you don't have to be perfect either!

Holly

As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord!

Edited by - ArmyWifey on Sep 01 2007 10:49:03 AM
Go to Top of Page

katiedid
True Blue Farmgirl

601 Posts

Kate
West Jordan Utah
USA
601 Posts

Posted - Sep 03 2007 :  5:59:25 PM  Show Profile
My kids, like Aunt Jenny's go to a great public school..in fact, it's the very same one...

I went to Back to School Night, and Julia's teacher, a very good, veteran teacher, was telling us about testing the kids...all of the kids tested close to grade level which is good, BUT...NO ONE was really advanced!! It used to be that some kids would be behind a grade or two, most would be on grade level (she's in 4th) and a few kids would be at a middle school, or even high school and maybe even 12th grade plus...this year the kids flatlined! The No-Child-left-behind act is really taking a toll on this kids. The teachers are teaching on the lowest levels, for the slowest students, and the kids who really could excell don't get the chance to shine....
It is really disturbing!!
Mrs. Peacock, Julia's teacher, encouraged us all to contact our legislators....
We need to speak out!

Thanks for tolerating my soap box!

To answer your question, Sunshine, we have always gone with public school, and a big reason we chose to live in our town was because the schools are great! Small, good teachers, good principals, active parents, of course great PTA! Good special ed...at the public school in SLC, where my girls used to go, there were 1200 students, with a class size of 30-40! This year Julia has 21 kids in her class...
Like lots of the farmgirls, we do alot of unschooling around home. Cooking, science, animals, gardening lots of life skills and fun!
Go to Top of Page

babysmama
True Blue Farmgirl

931 Posts

Elizabeth
Iowa
931 Posts

Posted - Sep 03 2007 :  6:07:53 PM  Show Profile
Our oldest just started with homeschool pre-school this year and is doing excellent! We will be homeschooling all the children. It is not so much as the educational aspect, because I think that most public/private schools can offer a good education (though there are children that learn differently and aren't able to do as much hands on work in a classroom of 20 kids) but it is the peer aspect that I do not like. I feel strongly that the morals of this country are going downhill and some of the reason is that a lot of children/teens will follow their peers rather than their parents becuase they feel the need to fit in. It is shocking what goes on at such young ages these days. My aunt just confirmed this by saying that her 10 year old always talks about boys, her 14 year old just admitted that almost everyone she knows in school smokes or drinks or has at least tried it, there are several pregnant girls in school this year and the sexual behavior of young children is shocking. Yes, I want to shelter my children a little from this. That does not mean that they will live in a bubble and know nothing about drugs, sex, and drinking but it means that they will hopefully not be around those pressures every day. My children will be involved in 4-H and other activites but I think that the actual socialization part of public school is not always a good thing.
-Elizabeth
Go to Top of Page

joyfulmama
True Blue Farmgirl

1175 Posts

Debra
Silver Springs NV
USA
1175 Posts

Posted - Sep 03 2007 :  6:21:24 PM  Show Profile
we homeschool.. we have forever. I have an aspiring writer, a special effects movie maker, a musician, and all are computer geeks..

Blessings, Debra
Psalms 23:1 "The Lord is my shepherd I shall not want."
http://myvintagehome.com
http://debbieknits.net
Go to Top of Page

sunshine
True Blue Farmgirl

4877 Posts

Wendy
Utah
USA
4877 Posts

Posted - Sep 03 2007 :  6:24:58 PM  Show Profile  Send sunshine a Yahoo! Message
katidid I live near where you did and didn't want to put them in a school with 1200 kids with 30 to 40 students they are now in classes 12 to 20 students and Parents are required to volunteer to keep their children enrolled not a problem the amount of time they want I can do in less than a month easily ( 20 hours I can actually do that in less than two weeks). My kids have always tested above state scores Utah is in the 64% for the country where my kids are in the 90 to 100 % in every subject mostly above grade level. So when we moved to a bad school district I just couldn't to that to my kids make them stagnate in a class that was aimed at the low end of the scale when they where at the other end at their old school they where accepted into gifted and advanced programs. This school has none of that so we went private.
babysmama the schools our children attend have strong ethics and moral and are God centered school expulsion for bad language and things of that sort so it is a very clean environment. That is one of the reasons we choose it.

have a lovely day and may God bless you and keep you safe
my bloghttp://sunshinescreations.vintagethreads.com/
my web store http://vintagethreads.com/

Edited by - sunshine on Sep 03 2007 6:31:58 PM
Go to Top of Page

emsmommy5
True Blue Farmgirl

1547 Posts

Angie
Buckley WA
USA
1547 Posts

Posted - Sep 03 2007 :  7:07:16 PM  Show Profile
I have homeschooled all five with a short stint in a public school alternative program which didn't work out in the end. I am down to the last two with our 15 yo daughter homeschooled full time and our 17 yo daughter in college, but still needing some mom help. Everyone is healthy, happy and are turning out to be spectacular people.

Lord, keep your arm around my shoulder and your hand over my mouth!
Go to Top of Page

katiedid
True Blue Farmgirl

601 Posts

Kate
West Jordan Utah
USA
601 Posts

Posted - Sep 03 2007 :  7:18:43 PM  Show Profile
I can certainly identify with all of the farmgirls who want to keep the kids away from the moral trash can...also-known-as-highschool! We are really sheltered here in our tiny town....we like it that way! My 12 year old daughter is alot more likely to go crawdad fishing with her friends, or make sand sculptures, or play with our litter of kittens than hit the mall (nearest one is 65 miles away) and I just fine with that! My oldest first heard of sex from a 1st grade class mate!
Homeschooling definately has it's bright spots!
Go to Top of Page

katiedid
True Blue Farmgirl

601 Posts

Kate
West Jordan Utah
USA
601 Posts

Posted - Sep 03 2007 :  7:20:18 PM  Show Profile
sunshine, do your girls go to the private school up on the hill near the AF temple? Did you move away from AF?
Go to Top of Page

sunshine
True Blue Farmgirl

4877 Posts

Wendy
Utah
USA
4877 Posts

Posted - Sep 03 2007 :  8:39:00 PM  Show Profile  Send sunshine a Yahoo! Message
Yes that is the school they go to nice to see the temple every day. We did move away from af now we wish we where there again as it would be easier with school so yep you guessed it my husband is looking into a home in highland or alpine so we can be close to the kids school looks like we might be moving again in the near future. We live in Herriman right now Jordon school district don't want them in that district at all. Our commute to school right now is 1 1/2 hours ( traffic at that time of day normally would only be 20 minuets to 25 minuets) so we have to leave by 7 am to make 8;30 school. Kind of hard on the kids but they all love the school so much. My oldest missed the second day of school when she came back the whole class cheered that she was doing better. Just a real nice atmosphere there.

have a lovely day and may God bless you and keep you safe
my bloghttp://sunshinescreations.vintagethreads.com/
my web store http://vintagethreads.com/

Edited by - sunshine on Sep 03 2007 10:01:34 PM
Go to Top of Page

nashbabe
True Blue Farmgirl

687 Posts

687 Posts

Posted - Sep 04 2007 :  09:46:20 AM  Show Profile
Kiddo goes to private school. Long story, but the kid has learning disabilities and is very bright. Public schools are quite weak here, dropout rate is very low, and an LD kid in kiddo's situation (long story) doesn't have a prayer in our local public school system. Therefore, I drive 100 miles a day and am broke! :-)

Crunchy crafty goodness and psychoses...;-)http://nashbabe.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

BlueRoseMama
True Blue Farmgirl

51 Posts

Val

51 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2007 :  12:53:23 PM  Show Profile
I have one in homeschool (1st grade) and one in public school (6th grade). Both work out great! :)

Val

Val ~ I am a whole food cooking, swing pushing, boo-boo kissing, paper crafting, breastfeeding, creative sewing, attachment parenting, woodworking, guitar playing, gardening, constantly reading, artistic and lovely full time, granola lovin' mama to my three sweetlings, Alex (7/20/96), Cyan (7/13/01), and baby Logan (1/22/07).

http://goddesshobbies.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9360 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9360 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2007 :  7:49:32 PM  Show Profile
Homeschooled my 3 through high school. One is now a full time wife and mommy, #2 daughter is an accountant for a local business. got the job based on what she learned in high school math. #3 is working part-time in a restaurant and the rest of the time with his dad in their own business. I learned a lot right along with them. Some things I had never heard of before especially in our government and economics courses.

"The earth is the Lord's and the fullness thereof and all that dwell therein."

www.torismimi.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

babs
True Blue Farmgirl

226 Posts

Babette
MN
USA
226 Posts

Posted - Sep 15 2007 :  11:04:04 AM  Show Profile
The oldest (14) is very loosely home schooled. She prefers the organization of lesson plans, to know what the goals are, and feels more secure with structure. She's taken control of her education by requesting to spend as much time as required to finish just one subject at a time. She likes to devote all her concentration to one topic. She can burn through a text book in about a month per subject doing it this way. She had her start in public school before I knew better, but that's a long story. She helps me now with my business. She does all the order wrapping and packs it up for shipping.
The youngest has never set foot in public school. Taught herself to read by collecting words in a small journal. She is an unschooler. Don't sit her down with a text book, open your door and show her the world or not at all. ;)

I love my kids.

Babs

Laundry Soap & girly stuff: www.mugwortmaggies.com
Connect to me on Myspace: http://www.myspace.com/mugwortmaggie

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Parenting & Farm Kids: Previous Topic wondering how you all educate your kids Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page