MsCwick
True Blue Farmgirl

775 Posts

Cristine
Farmville Virginia
USA
775 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2007 :  1:49:17 PM  Show Profile
The goats are sleeping and crapping on my front porch(the my DH just pressure washed), and they were on my car lastnight! ON MY CAR!!!! with hooves, on my car! Amanda hasn't been home for a week, and her dang goats are crapping EVERYWHERE! They smell, and, aaaaarrrggghhhhh!!!!ON MY CAR!!!

u like the mens/womens restroom sign on our shed? DH put that there. that's the first time I laughed today!

C
ristine
Go to Top of Page

MsCwick
True Blue Farmgirl

775 Posts

Cristine
Farmville Virginia
USA
775 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2007 :  3:44:19 PM  Show Profile
I just went and did the neighborly thing and helped my neighbor get her goats back in their pen, and hopefully this time they'll stay in!
Go to Top of Page

jo Thompson
True Blue Farmgirl

603 Posts

Jo
the mountainside of the Chugach in Alaska
USA
603 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2007 :  8:17:17 PM  Show Profile
Sweet girl Cristine............ I feel better now. jo

"life is drab without a lab"
http://web.mac.com/thomja/
Go to Top of Page

aimeeravae
True Blue Farmgirl

341 Posts

Aimee
Deer River MN
USA
341 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2007 :  8:46:33 PM  Show Profile
Do you have an almost home society in you neck of the woods? They take in homeless animals. Ask how they take donations. Go to the neighbors, because they are such animal lovers, and ask for donations. Not only are you doing a good deed, you find out exactly which animals are theirs. Call animal control for the rest. It sounds cruel, but breeding cats and dogs multiply like rabbits. ha
Go to Top of Page

Aunt George
True Blue Farmgirl

1476 Posts

Georgann
Midlothian VA
1476 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2007 :  9:09:24 PM  Show Profile
I have to agree with the tough love principal here. Set the boundries on the goats (Christine), dogs and cats, peacocks and every other roaming critter. Possession is 9/10ths of the law. Get them cornered, secure them when it is safe to do so and call animal control. The longer it goes on the more the callous animal owners are going to be.

We had neighbors whom drove me insane. They were the neighbors from hell. Nobody liked them, but it came down on me to speak up, tell them what was what and draw that line in the sand. They'd walked on my good nature for 2 years and the children threatened bodily harm on mine....that did it, oh, and he was a police officer.....they finally moved...couldn't stand us anymore I guess, so life on this block has been so much better since their departure.....I digress...........Please Rosemary for the sake of all those critters......make the calls and make the calls everytime they come in to your yard. The squeeky wheel does get greased!
G

http://auntgeorgeshouse.blogspot.com/index.html
http://auntgeorge.etsy.com

"Made With Love"
Go to Top of Page

Rosemary
True Blue Farmgirl

1825 Posts

Virginia
USA
1825 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2007 :  09:11:17 AM  Show Profile
Aimee, yes we do have a similar organization. A close friend of mine is on their board of directors. They can only intervene if the animals aren't spayed or neutered, and the extent of their service is to help the animal's owners get a discount from one of the vets who've agreed to do the job for less than the going rate. They'd still be all over my place, killing the rabbits, birds, and other wild creatures for whom I've consciously maintained sanctuaries.

Perhaps I could ask these neighbors if they would like to take advantage of the service, which could at least open up communications. The thing is, these people put up with us for years not having the money to bush hog a big field right behind them, to which they objected because they feared snakes were having their way with each other in the tall grasses and they couldn't go on walks in the field without worrying they wold be bitten. OUR FIELD, mind you. Oh well. I guess I could see their point. But we spent a small fortune a few years ago having that field plowed under, graded and grass-seeded to get rid of invasive Japanese Honeysuckle and a lot of rock. (The field isn't large enough, only about an acre, to warrant making it a source of hay bales for local horse folks, by the way. I looked into that.) Unfortunately, this rough manicuring was at the expense of all the beautiful wildflowers I used to harvest there, but at least now the fruit trees remaining from when it was an orchard aren't being choked to death by the damn honeysuckle.

I guess I shouldn't be so timid now, huh? I'm sure The Cat People are enjoying the vast expanse of snakeless field. Maybe they'll bve more receptive than I imagine.
Go to Top of Page

Rosemary
True Blue Farmgirl

1825 Posts

Virginia
USA
1825 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2007 :  09:15:15 AM  Show Profile
Oh my, Cristine! The car! I have a friend in Vermont who had that happen frequently. They even got *into* the car one time. I'll bet you were plenty mad.

It was very nice of you to help get the goats back where they belong. Maybe this woman is making all those bad jokes because she's stuck in a situation she feels she can't get out of and is trying to make the best of it. It's not uncommon for women married to bullies to make excuses for them while they go on hoping they'll change. Her husband is a sheriff's deputy, right? Maybe he pushes her around and she's afraid to challenge him about the wreck of a place they live in. You might want to slip her a hotline number someday. Be discreet. Spray paint it on the side of a goat.

Just kidding.

Ha ha.

Edited by - Rosemary on Aug 18 2007 09:17:53 AM
Go to Top of Page

Rosemary
True Blue Farmgirl

1825 Posts

Virginia
USA
1825 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2007 :  09:16:34 AM  Show Profile
Oh Georgeann, how awful those neighbors from hell must have been! I'm glad you're rid of them now. Your story gives me courage.
Go to Top of Page

MasterGardener
True Blue Farmgirl

572 Posts

Chandra
Louisiana
USA
572 Posts

Posted - Dec 11 2007 :  2:53:04 PM  Show Profile  Send MasterGardener a Yahoo! Message
Well, Rosemary, is it any consolation to know you're not the only one? I am the neighbor in my neighborhood that gets the ugly looks, no one waves, ya-da, ya-da, because after about 7 yrs of other people's dogs pooing in my yard (no fence) I finally started calling animal control. I've called well, let's see...about 12 X's now. You have to call a certain # of times before Sheriff's dept. issues a ticket. I've called for 5 different neighbor's dogs. I'm not friends with any of my neighbors @ the moment, but thankfully, it hasn't changed my life much. For years I'd walk out to the mailbox to step in dog-poo, I'd go out on the porch in the morning for my cup of coffee to see the dog/dogs from across the street crapping any where they felt like it in my yard...so off I'd go, screaming like a banchee "Get outa here, go on, get. Nary a soul to come see what the fuss was about. I'd walk outside and one of their dogs would be in my yard & start barking @ ME. You've got to be kidding...oh, no,no,no,no. I've gone & knocked doors, made polite phone calls...they're sooo Neighborly on the phone, but nothing ever changed till I called A.C.
I found out in the nick of time that a person can be liable and/or arrested in Louisiana for shooting a neighbors dog/animal, even if it's in my yard, but not before I'd threatened 2 or 3 of my neighbors with the idea of it. So do be careful if you ever fire a weapon @ one. Unless of course you or your animals are being attacked.
I had a peacock for several years. He chose us & it was quite a site when we'd be sitting on the side porch with the dog and the cat and ooopppp...here'd come Horatio...he'd hop up on the far end of the porch, strut past us...realll slow, then go to his food bowl and eat. When it was mating season, he'd strut around and open his fan for me...so many funny stories. My point is that we left food for him. We only have red canna's, Louisiana iris, agapanthus, so eating our flowers wasn't an issue. He was such an oddity. Long story, but basically he just showed up. It took a while to coax him close enough that I didn't have to walk a full acre to get food to him, but in the end, he'd come twice a day & eat out of a bowl on the porch. If I hadn't put food out for the day, he'd walk back and forth on the porch, looking in the windows, stop & look in - with one eye pressed up against the glass. We're in a very rural area, many people keep chickens, etc. We were the envy of the neighborhood for years. One guy 1/4 up the road (I'm on the out's with him too) had done everything he knew how, to lure the bird to his property. It got back to me through another neighbor. Long story short...Horatio was with us for 3 yrs till he was killed by a car, but what fun he was while he was with us! Is there any chance you'd think of him as a pet and forgive the daisies? They love sunflower seed bird mix, cheap dog food for a snack once in a while.
I know none of this is about goats, but sometimes you just can't let your neighbors disrespect you or your property anymore. Use a legal third party like animal control & call three X's. In LA, after the 3rd call to animal control, the sheriff's dept. issues a citation. When it starts to hurt your neighbor's pocket books, they might do something about it.

.• ´¨¨)) -:¦:-¸.•´ .•´¨¨))
((¸¸.•´ ..• -:¦:- -:¦:- Chandra
-:¦:- ((¸¸.•´Farmgirl Sister #64

She considereth a field, and buyeth it; with the fruit of her hands she planteth a vineyard.
Proverbs 31:16

Edited by - MasterGardener on Dec 11 2007 2:59:26 PM
Go to Top of Page

Zahara
Farmgirl in Training

26 Posts

Buffalo New York
USA
26 Posts

Posted - Dec 27 2007 :  08:53:25 AM  Show Profile
leave food out. no, no, no.
I thought you wanted to get rid of the animals.

you want to make your property not frendly.

can not afford a fence, grow a natural one.
know where your property line is, go in about 6 feet on your property and start planting scratchy and thorny things and smelly plants (onion, garlic, skunkcabbage, stinkweed - what ever is native to where you live). As a kid running around outside you must remember weeds to stay away from. go get some, transplant them. plant a rose bush, here and there. What you doing -- oh planting roses, you want one?

go an get the cheapest, biggest bag of onions. get really hot pepper, the kind you have to wear gloves with. chop all of that up and put in a big container of water (maybe a watering can). let sit awhile and then go along the property line and pour out the water.
pour all around mail box, or any place the cats, dogs, turkeys seems to always be.

get motion detector lights or sonic motion detectors. adopt a skunk as a pet. put horse poop along the propery line. Or you got a zoo - get tiger or elephant poop. Dog smell tiger - stay away!

think how I make this unfriendly to them.

Go to Top of Page

Libbie
Farmgirl Connection Cultivator

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Dec 27 2007 :  09:30:01 AM  Show Profile
I LOVE natural fences!!! We have one of thick willows and wild roses along our property line that borders a big ol' irrigation canal. It's not to keep things OUT of our property, but it keeps my little ones OUT of the canal!!! ;)

XOXO, Libbie

"Farmgirl Sister #10," and proud of it!!!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic When the community clashes Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page