Page: of 2

Rosemary
True Blue Farmgirl

1825 Posts

Virginia
USA
1825 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2007 :  08:58:18 AM  Show Profile
I'd like to be friendlier with the people who live on farms adjacent to mine, but they make it hard.

I have one neighbor who is an absentee cattleman. He rents pastureland for cattle and hogs he doesn't care for very well. He also doesn't tend to his low-quality electric fence, so the cattle (including a huge bull) often get out. I think they're looking for decent water to drink, poor things -- it's not their fault, but they've done a lot of damage. The guy has paid me for some of it, but not all. I've yet to be able to replace several newly planted evergreen trees his bull destroyed one day. =I only got reimbursement for what I spent on them, not what it would cost to buy new trees. Now it's too late for that. Next time his cattle damage anything on my property, he knows that's the last straw. The Sheriff's Animal Welfare/Control office is ready to pounce on this guy and close him down for treating his animals so poorly. (They have a network of people all over the county who will adopt the animals and give them good homes.) All they need is an excuse, and I will probably eventually provide it.

Another neighbor keeps wild turkeys (tame as kittens and very sweet -- I don't mind them) and peacocks (they'll eat anything with white flowers on it) but lets them roam all over other people's property. The turkeys are benign, but the peacocks, beautiful and quaint as they are, have eaten my daisies, the flowers off hostas, and so on. Honestly, anything white is a goner if they spot it. They're almost as bad as groundhogs!

Still another neighbor very close to us has about 6 cats that are terrorizing our birds now. I think she had them spayed or neutered, but I can't be sure, and I also don't know if they've had their shots. I hesitate to ask her because they are poor and it might embarrass them to say they couldn't afford it. (Our humane association will only partly pay for these things if you're needy. You still have to cough up the bucks yourself.) Other neighbors have cats that they let roam, but that's only one or two and they seem very housecatty. These others are nearly feral. Now we're overrun with cats.

And then there are the dogs. Dogs dogs dogs. And MORE dogs. One of them is a pit bull mix that barks ferociously at me when I'm out on the property pruning fruit trees or the big ol' pussy willow and he scares me to death.

I'm getting sick and tired of suffering all these incursions. Short of building a fence around our acreage, which we can't afford and which in any event wouldn't keep out some of these animals, I can't think of anything to do that wouldn't make me look like The Neighbor from Hell, with nothing but complaints to offer her fellow farmers.

Farmgirls, how do you handle things like this with your neighbors, or how would you advise me to handle mine?

Edited by - Rosemary on Dec 11 2007 1:39:56 PM

brightmeadow
True Blue Farmgirl

2045 Posts

Brenda
Lucas Ohio
USA
2045 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2007 :  09:26:04 AM  Show Profile
Wow, that's awful. Sounds like you've got a regular stream of other people's animals through your property! And it can be hard to maintain a good relationship with your neighbors when you are feeling so imposed on, and they seem to be so careless.

You probably should look up the laws in your county and state. Here is one link I googled "Virginia fence law" http://www.ext.vt.edu/news/periodicals/fmu/2005-06/virginialaw.html but just knowing the law doesn't make it easier to get along.

Do you have a relationship with any of these neighbors other than just being neighbors? Church, kids at school, etc.? It might make it easier if you can work around to the topic slowly instead of just bringing it up at the first meeting!

One summer we took my dog to our farm for 2 weeks instead of putting him in a kennel, and he was pretty good, except he did go over to the new neighbor's house and run around their yard a few times. (we've got 75 acres he could have run on, but NO, he wanted to go across the street!) I went and got him each time, and chained him a few times. The third time it happened the neighbor came over and complained bitterly - that was the first time I ever met him. I'm still not feeling very friendly towards him, and not sure if we'll ever get on a better footing - it is kind of awkward.

You shall eat the fruit of the labor of your hands - You shall be happy and it shall be well with you. -Psalm 128.2
Visit my blog at http://brightmeadowfarms.blogspot.com ,web site store at http://www.watkinsonline.com/fish or my homepage at http://home.earthlink.net/~brightmeadow
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2007 :  09:44:30 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I don't know what to say other than I hope the situation resolves itself. Maybe as far as the peacocks go- maybe you could compromise and not plant white flowers? And then sneak in an sew seeds off white flowers on your neighbors property?

Maybe you could plant Catnip somewhere far away from your birds but closer to the cat owner's house? Put things that are attractive to the various animals away from the problem areas so that if they _must_ be on your property, maybe they will stay away from where you don't want them to be?

Alee
The amazing one handed typist! One hand for typing, one hand to hold Nora!
http://home.test-afl.tulix.com/aleeandnora/
Go to Top of Page

Rosemary
True Blue Farmgirl

1825 Posts

Virginia
USA
1825 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2007 :  10:16:04 AM  Show Profile
Hi, Brenda. Thanks for your comments and ideas. I'm very familiar with all the pertinent laws, including the fence law (because of the cattle guy). One interpretation of the law says tht if you don't want other people's animals on your property, you have to propose building a fence and the person whose property line you share has to share the cost with you. In our case, the catle guy's pasture is across a county road from us, so that law doesn't apply. We still couldn't afford it anyway, even if we only had to pay half, and neither could he, so it's a moot point, really.

You've hit on a serious problem when you raise the issue of other community contact points. My husband and I don't have children, so we don't have that connection. We are not Christians, so we don't attend church with any of these people, some of whom are devout churchgoers and others anything but. (We have our own Nature-based way of looking at things.) Honestly, the most I ever do with most of these people is give a quick country wave if our cars pass on the gravel road.

Since our house is the oldest one in the area, and was once the house for all the farmland all these other folks inhabit (we just have the three acres around the house), I was thinking it might be kind of fun to have a harvest party of some sort in October, maybe some Sunday afternoon when most folks are home anyway. We could name it after the first lady of our house (wife of the man who built it about 100 years ago) and call it "Linnie's Pie Party" or something like that to take the focus off me. We could ask everyone over, kids, animals and all, for pumpkin and apple pies, cider, beer, hot dogs, whatever, at our expense. We'd ask everyone just to bring the oldest pictures they have of their place, so we could all tell each other our stories. Would that be a start?
Go to Top of Page

MsCwick
True Blue Farmgirl

775 Posts

Cristine
Farmville Virginia
USA
775 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2007 :  10:17:47 AM  Show Profile
I have a neighbor, ya'll might remember that my dog killed her baby pigs that she allowed to run free. Anyways, this neighbor is from the city, and on her little acre, she thinks she can have a whole entire farm. She had no idea that those pigs could get to be 500lbs PLUS, so she was relieved they were "gone". But she still has ducks, and goats. She has a mother goat, and it's baby boy goat. She has this crappy little fenced in area for the ducks and goats, but the goats dont stay in, and they come over and get into my shed, eat the horses feed and help themselves to my pepper plants. It's not so much the mother goat, as it is the adolescent boy goat. Well, now the boy goat has gotten the mother goat pregnant, and my neighbor, Amanda thinks it's FUNNY! I asked her what she's gonna do with it if it comes out crippled, and she just cannot comprehend that that will happen. She thinks you cant get a goat neutered, and now the boy goat is climbing on their vehicles!!! Including her husband's COP CAR!!!
Why are people so careless? I totally understand what you're dealing with. some people just dont have a clue!
I liked the idea about cat nip, and the relocating of white flowers!
Good luck
Cristine
Go to Top of Page

MsCwick
True Blue Farmgirl

775 Posts

Cristine
Farmville Virginia
USA
775 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2007 :  10:19:34 AM  Show Profile
where in virginia are you, rosemary??
Cristine
Go to Top of Page

Rosemary
True Blue Farmgirl

1825 Posts

Virginia
USA
1825 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2007 :  10:29:35 AM  Show Profile
Alyssa, I like your practical approaches to the problem, and I honestly am ashamed of my nature-babe self for not thinking the same things! What great ideas!

It's hard to plant things that don't have white flowers, especially since I have many established perennials that bloom white. There might be a companion-planting solution for them. I'll look into that -- but surreptitiously planting white flowers elsewhere as distractions, oh, that's devious. I like it! Then catnip idea is, of course, priceless. Knock 'em out right at the gate! What could I do to keep dogs out, short of throwing raw meat over the hedgerows at ten-minute intervals 24/7?

You would think all those *&@%#$^ dogs would intimidate the groundhogs and at least eliminate that problem, wouldn't you? But nooo......

Funny you should mention your dog experience when visiting. The worst dog offenders are the ones with the largest amount of land, versus our three little acres in their midst. Also, the guy right next to us, who has 67 acres, choses to pile his hay bales and log-splitting equipment (not to mention all the pickup trucks and other heavy machinery that go with those activities) right on our property line, not fifty feet from our house. It's what people see from the access road when they come to visit us, and they always ask about it, and comment on how unsightly it is and how rude our neighbors are to do that, almost as if out of spite. Now granted, it's farm stuff and we do live in farm country, but really, couldn't they put all that stuff somewhere else? ARGGGH!

I'm beginning to think I'm just a nasty old lady after all. Maybe none of this would be irksome to anyone else. Am I wrong to be so upset?
Go to Top of Page

Rosemary
True Blue Farmgirl

1825 Posts

Virginia
USA
1825 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2007 :  10:32:46 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by MsCwick

where in virginia are you, rosemary??
Cristine

Fauquier County
Go to Top of Page

Rosemary
True Blue Farmgirl

1825 Posts

Virginia
USA
1825 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2007 :  10:36:40 AM  Show Profile
Oh Cristine, you have a real moron for a neighbor! And how cruel of her to treat her animals as she does. Does your county have an animal welfare section in the sheriff's dept. like ours does, or something similar, who could get her on inhumane treatment and get those animals to a better place?
Go to Top of Page

Huckelberrywine
True Blue Farmgirl

1607 Posts

Michelle
Rosalia
1607 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2007 :  10:40:54 AM  Show Profile
Rosemary, you have touched on one of the hardest questions to answer that I think people have struggled with forever. I am so sorry for your struggle, and I wish I knew. I think Alee has good advice. If you can't do anything to change the situation, at least you can do something to make it more peaceful for yourself. Critters can't really be expected to know social ettiquette, and if your neighbors somehow missed that lesson growing up, they probably won't take kindly to lessons from anyone now. I'm glad you wave. Such a small thing really can mean a lot toward building positive feelings. I like the get-together idea too. But be sure you don't end up resenting your time, effort, and expense if nothing comes of it. It could make someone feel awkward to be a guest knowing they can't return the favor. Maybe something simple like sharing stories/pictures on the porch/lawn with some ice tea or lemonade is a good first step? That's easy for someone to reciprocate, and a good ol' funny story and shared laughter makes pretty good common ground.

We make a difference.
Go to Top of Page

Rosemary
True Blue Farmgirl

1825 Posts

Virginia
USA
1825 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2007 :  3:11:26 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Huckelberrywine
I like the get-together idea too. But be sure you don't end up resenting your time, effort, and expense if nothing comes of it.

Hmm. You're right to suggest I think about doing something like that on a more modest scale, if at all.

Bonfire time. I always think better when I'm burning brush!
Go to Top of Page

MsCwick
True Blue Farmgirl

775 Posts

Cristine
Farmville Virginia
USA
775 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2007 :  5:20:04 PM  Show Profile
It's sad that ignorance is the reason so many animals suffer. Ownership is 9/10 of the law, isn't it? If you can't beat em, join em. Get the cheapest bag of cat food, and an old food pan, and put it somewhere where they wont get into stuff, like at the edge of your yard by the woods or whatever, and put some food in it for them. It might cost 8 bucks for a cheap bag of food, and then you can lure them away from your flowers?????????? Maybe peacocks like something too,and you could lure them away as well? Just an idea

If the county did, her husband is a Sheriffs Deputy. They are RETARDED! I should go take a picture of their yard and post it. And they think they should get a horse! HAHAH (because I have them, but I have 9 acres! ) SHe's also bisexual with 2 children. Ugh...let me stop before I get ugly...
Real idiots
Stupid should hurt
No I shouldnt say that.

Edited by - MsCwick on Aug 17 2007 5:49:26 PM
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2007 :  9:19:16 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I don't know what you could do about the dogs, except maybe try to befriend them or get a guardian dog for yourself. The feral cats might be bugging your birds because they are hungry. Their owners might not be feeding them if they are poor, so putting out some cat food (at the gate by the catnip :) ) might help too. You could also plant habenero peppers along you fence line during summer :P They wouldn't come near that stuff!

Alee
Go to Top of Page

mikesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3659 Posts

Sherri
Elma WA
USA
3659 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2007 :  10:02:16 PM  Show Profile
Great suggestions Alee - we have good neighbors at our cabin in Montana, but I can see that if we weren't flexible people, we could have problems. We want to get a big dog when we move over there, in addition to our doxies, but the neighbors, about 1/4 mile away, have free range chickens, and that would not work unless we put up an invisible fence or something. Already there have been hunting disputes when we've been over there. One neighbor shooting a turkey on another's land, another one walking through the land and scaring off an elk, etc. Your issues with neighbors are definately different in the country than in town, but sometimes they can be potentially more serious. It's a tough issue.
Go to Top of Page

Sarah Blue
True Blue Farmgirl

172 Posts

Sierra Mountains California
USA
172 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2007 :  09:26:27 AM  Show Profile
I think there are some really good suggestions here, and yes it's a very touchy and difficult challenge when you have trouble with your neighbors. I live next to an absentee cattleman also and his bull used to break through our fenceline regularly. When I would call him to let him know, he either wouldn't answer his phone or he'd be hours away so I'd have to deal with the problem myself, knowing it was just going to happen again. Surprisingly, he finally brought a crew of workers and reinforced the fenceline himself, for which I'm really thankful. I make a point of being extremely friendly and cordial with him whenever possible.

I love the idea of throwing a harvest party because even though it won't solve any of your immediate problems, I think it would help open up the future lines of communication.

And, believe me, I know it's expensive, but I'm sure you've heard the saying, "Good fences make good neighbors." It doesn't prevent every problem, but it sure does help.

"i believe in god, only i spell it nature." - frank lloyd wright
http://www.myspace.com/svgrrrl
Go to Top of Page

Rosemary
True Blue Farmgirl

1825 Posts

Virginia
USA
1825 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2007 :  11:13:06 AM  Show Profile
I'm so heartened by the responses I'm getting to my post on this thorny issue. Fencing isn't an option, really, even if we could afford it. Our old place has its original stone walls where there aren't outright woods, so it would either be a logistical nightmare that would probably kill off a lot of beautiful old trees (I won't risk that!) or, where the stone walls are, fences would just look ugly. BTW, the stone walls are no deterrent to anything but vehicles. They're only about two feet high.

I like all the ideas about diversionary planting very much. There are parts of our property where this would work; other parts, no so much, but it's worth a try.

Feeding all these semi-feral cats would be a long-term daily commitment that might do more ecological damage in the long run, and one I'm not sure I'm prepared to take on. Also, other animals would be attracted to the food, wouldn't they? I mean well-fed house cats out for a quick adventure, and perhaps other species (foxes, raccoons, rats, even dogs -- which I certainly don't need more of!) that could start to become a real nuisance. I imagine all these animals might wind up fighting. Has anyone here actually done this? With what result?
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2007 :  11:47:56 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
When my family lived in the country we would feed the local cats. They did end up staying around our place, but they didn't terrorize any local chickens or anything and they certainly kept the mice down! I guess it depends on how many cats you have. And the cats will probably keep most other species away. It would have to be a gutsy rat to go eat where cats are eating! Instead of putting out cat food which would attract the dogs if you decide you want to help feed them, I would put out cheap dog food, and not very much, but just a little.

Alee
Go to Top of Page

sweetthunder214
Farmgirl in Training

26 Posts

theresa
smithville tx
USA
26 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2007 :  2:38:11 PM  Show Profile  Send sweetthunder214 an AOL message  Send sweetthunder214 a Yahoo! Message
I think the idea of seeding plants they like away from your area is a good cheap idea for the birds and cats but for the mean dogs I would think I would have to talk to the neighbor directly. We had neighbor dogs come onto the property and go right through the electric fence to chase our goats. Lucky enough we were out there at the time and got them away but now I have 2 pyrs in the pasture to watch over them and have never seen the neighbor dogs again. We also had cows coming onto our property but didnt know who they belonged too because they always came and went thru the creek but finally threw word of mouth to some other people in the area the owner came by and built a fence across the creek. I dont like that and I dont think you can legally do it but it stopped the cows from tearing up the creek bed and grazing on my land. I hope you get something worked out for the good of everyone and all the critters
Go to Top of Page

Rosemary
True Blue Farmgirl

1825 Posts

Virginia
USA
1825 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2007 :  5:04:46 PM  Show Profile
Hi, Theresa! In our state (VA), there's a program to encourage farmers to put fences or trees ("riparian buffers") along any creeks or rivers on their property to prevent soil erosion and downstream e coli contamination. The state pays farmers a reasonable sum of money to help them do this. (I designed the brochure, which is how I found out about the program.) Maybe your neighbor had that in mind when he blocked off his stream. Anyway, I'm glad you're not troubled by wandering cattle anymore. Wow! I didn't realize this was such a common problem. I'm learning plenty here!

Alee, about the number of cats? There are 9 all told (6 of them nearly feral), all congregating and hunting on our 3 acres. Our 3 house cats can sense all this new cat activity outside and are starting to exhibit stress behavior over it.

And that's just the cats.

*sigh*
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2007 :  6:57:34 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Rosemary-

That is quite a few cats! Hopefully they at least keep the mice down! :) Hopefully the catnip will keep them away from your house.

I hope your cats calm down about the other animals around. Hopefully some of the "diversionary" tactics help! :)

Alee
Go to Top of Page

jo Thompson
True Blue Farmgirl

603 Posts

Jo
the mountainside of the Chugach in Alaska
USA
603 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2007 :  10:25:49 PM  Show Profile
I'll tell you what we do with stray dogs in alaska, we put out traps from animal control. Then the dog goes into the trap, we call animal control or take the dog in. They get a ticket for an unlicensed dog, and a roaming dog ticket. It doubles the second time, triples the third.

I'd shoot the damn peacocks.

But that's in Alaska..........

I try asking nice the first time, I tell them the rules, and then take care of the rest.
We have tried over and over to explain to neighbors how it's not nice to let their dog poop, eat, dig, whatever is on your property. Apparently, if it costs them money, makes their life more difficult, it actually has an impact on their behavior......

People just aren't sensible anymore! jo

"life is drab without a lab"
http://web.mac.com/thomja/iWeb/Site/Welcome.html
http://homepage.mac.com/thomja/Anchorage/PhotoAlbum15.html

Edited by - jo Thompson on Aug 15 2007 11:06:50 PM
Go to Top of Page

Rosemary
True Blue Farmgirl

1825 Posts

Virginia
USA
1825 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2007 :  11:56:59 AM  Show Profile
The only mice I ever see are in our house. I think they're trying to escape all the cats outside! Our inside cats occasionally catch one, but mostly, they do their damage unchecked. I've tried every kind of way to get rid of them that's not likely to harm the cats (or owls) at the same time. No dice. Every now and then, I lift clumps of pink insulation material out of air vents. I know they're dangerous and something has to be done, but I've given up trying. (And yes, all perceivable gaps where they might be getting in have been plugged up, except for the giant groundhog holes where THOSE varmints have had their way with us.

For them, I broke down two years ago and bought a rifle. A mighty nice CZ457 .22 calibre "varmint rifle." Haven't used it on any varmints yet. The only "sighting" I've had when I was anywhere near the rifle to act on it, was two feet from a propane tank and I was afraid what would happen if I missed my aim!

I dunno...this farmgirl thing is a lot trickier than it looks in books! ;-)

Edited by - Rosemary on Aug 16 2007 11:58:07 AM
Go to Top of Page

Bonne
True Blue Farmgirl

3003 Posts

Bonne
Littleton CO
USA
3003 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2007 :  3:58:22 PM  Show Profile
A BB gun fired over the cat's heads or nearby them may make them think twice about coming back.
The pitbull worries me. They are outlawed here because of recurrent troubles ~ kids maimed, one lady was killed by her neighbor's dog in a more rural area.
I'd have a handgun or bear strength pepper spray on me when doing outside chores where it's been seen, for the time being. Better safe than sorry. Plus if you see it show up in the yard, I'd be firing a pellet gun at his haunches, so it knows your land isn't intruder friendly. There comes a time when you have to draw the line with any trespassers.

http://www.bonne1313.homestead.com/spiritspace.htmlSoap
http://groups.msn.com/spiritspaceCrafting Group
Go to Top of Page

MsCwick
True Blue Farmgirl

775 Posts

Cristine
Farmville Virginia
USA
775 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2007 :  4:33:20 PM  Show Profile
I like the idea of trapping them, and then calling the animal control.

You can get what the call a "soft air gun" from walmart for like 20 bucks, and they take little plastic BBs. You can shoot things with it and all it does is sting. (I was stupid enough to shoot myself because my husband said it wouldn't hurt) LMAO I would shoot my horse, in the butt, when he would chew on the fence. The guns aren't real accurate, but the little bit more expensive ones are good up to about 50 feet!

This is what I have to deal with all day. My neighbor(not the one with the cows) Amanda, hasn't been home, and her dang goats hang out on the porch and poop, and try to get in my shed to eat the horse feed. That's the little boy goat, and his mother, whom he got pregnant :/ so sad
Cristine

Edited by - MsCwick on Aug 16 2007 4:35:58 PM
Go to Top of Page

Rosemary
True Blue Farmgirl

1825 Posts

Virginia
USA
1825 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2007 :  11:36:11 AM  Show Profile
Christine, I'd be afraid of using that pellet gun approach, especially if it isn't all that accurate -- and in my scaredy-cat hands, with a pit bull closing in on me, I'm pretty sure it wouldn't be! A slightly wounded animal can be very dangerous.

Also, being on three acres and surrounded by other farmers means they'd hear the shots and figure out who'd nailed their dear little fuzzball in the butt. Pretty soon, they'd be coming after ME with pellet rifles! Anyway, I see no reason to harm the animals. They're not at fault. It's the owners I take issue with.

Those are beautiful goats, by the way. Such a shame, as you say. Let's hope the baby will be okay. Come to think of it, what are baby goats called?
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2007 :  12:31:18 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Baby goats are called "kids".

Alee
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic When the community clashes Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page