Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Cleaning Up
 What kind of washing machine do you have?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Cleaning Up: Previous Topic What kind of washing machine do you have? Next Topic  

Canadian farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

482 Posts

Lori
Ontario
Canada
482 Posts

Posted - Sep 24 2007 :  08:50:30 AM  Show Profile
Ok gals, I'm soon going to have to replace my 20 year old top loading washing machine. These new front loaders are amazing, but cost a lot more. Do you have any experiences to share?

I have two sisters-in-law who both have the same Whirlpool Duet (the one you can put 16 pairs of jeans in at once). They love them. My problem with my machine is that I can't fit a queen-size comforter in it, have to go to the laundromat in another town to wash it. This is a major advantage to front loaders, you can fit more in, they use less water, spin more out so things take less time to dry, etc.

DH thinks top loaders are just fine, and doesn't trust the front loaders not to leak!

What's your opinion?

Lori

nut4fabric
True Blue Farmgirl

885 Posts

Kathy
Morgan Hill CA
USA
885 Posts

Posted - Sep 24 2007 :  09:12:00 AM  Show Profile
Hi Lori
I had a Maytag Neptune front loader and hated it. Couldn't do big enough loads and never seemed to clean well enough. When we moved I left it behind and now have a Kenmore Elite and love it. I can do HUGE loads and it washes really well. So I use a little more water and have cleaner clothes, but really since it holds more I do fewer loads so I guess it all works out in the end.
Hugs, Kathy
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Sep 24 2007 :  12:15:01 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I can't remember what brand it is, but they now have top loading machines that act like front loaders. I would go talk with one of your local sales guys. They will know the specs for all the machines. I like the Duets though too!

Alee
The amazing one handed typist! One hand for typing, one hand to hold Nora!
http://home.test-afl.tulix.com/aleeandnora/
Go to Top of Page

GaiasRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2552 Posts

Tasha-Rose
St. Paul Minnesota
2552 Posts

Posted - Sep 24 2007 :  12:54:38 PM  Show Profile
We have an LG front loading HE machine and the dryer that goes with it, though it rarely gets used, sans for rainy days like today. I love it!

~*~Brightest Blessings~*~
Tasha-Rose

Blogs: http://gaiarose.wordpress.com
http://womonandsprout.wordpress.com
Homepage:
http://ForestFaeries.etsy.com
Birth is safe, interference is risky; TRUST BIRTH
Go to Top of Page

AuntJo
True Blue Farmgirl

117 Posts

Jo
Oklahoma
USA
117 Posts

Posted - Sep 24 2007 :  1:02:01 PM  Show Profile
I don't have any suggestions since I'm right there with you. My 15+ year old machine is suddenly screaming like a wildcat and draining water in the floor. What I wouldn't give for a wringer washer on the back porch.

Aunt Jo to 24 nieces and nephews and counting
http://auntjoscorner.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Sep 24 2007 :  4:02:31 PM  Show Profile
well, about the only thing i know about it .. is that it is WHITE! (i think!) xo

True Friends, Frannie

FREEDOM VALLEY FARM
KENTUCKY

http://freedomvalleyfarm.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4179 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4179 Posts

Posted - Sep 24 2007 :  5:23:23 PM  Show Profile
I have a front load,GE. I like it, can't fit 16 pairs of jeans in it though. I put 6-8 depending on how dirty. It does spin out better, so the clothes don't take long to dry on the line. I have found you can over fill them, and then they don't spin out all the way. Open the door to soaked clothes yet. Oh well, live and learn. I do like it alot better then my former Maytag piece of junk.

Michele
Go to Top of Page

MustangSuzie
True Blue Farmgirl

634 Posts

Sarah
New London Missouri
USA
634 Posts

Posted - Sep 24 2007 :  5:40:01 PM  Show Profile  Send MustangSuzie a Yahoo! Message
My kenmore that is 3.5 yrs old suddenly won't spin, whatever happen to quality products?? My kenmore dishwasher that is about the same age ison the fritz as well. Don't think I'll buy anymore kenmore products. Right now I'm using a 1970 something Maytag wringer and it works great! The only thing I miss is the convenience.

[size=1]Blessings....
Sarah

Go to Top of Page

kissmekate
True Blue Farmgirl

890 Posts

Kate
Delano Minnesota
890 Posts

Posted - Sep 24 2007 :  8:48:18 PM  Show Profile
I have a Maytag, (top load) I saved up extra for. I bought it brand spanking new.
I had an issue with it after owning it for six months, and found out it is actually made by I think it is Hotpoint or Magic Chef, and they lease the Maytag name. Grrrrrrrrr.
I will save myself the hundred/hundred and fifty bucks go running back to Whirlpool after this one croaks. I have had good luck with the two previous used ones.

I do have to say the newer washers I have used, do spin the clothes pretty dry, compared to washers made twenty/twenty five years ago.

Don't miss out on a blessing, just because it isn't packaged the way you expected. ~MaryJo Copeland

Edited by - kissmekate on Sep 24 2007 8:53:21 PM
Go to Top of Page

SarahJ
True Blue Farmgirl

198 Posts

Shreveport Louisiana
198 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2007 :  10:04:18 AM  Show Profile
I have a top-loading maytag that just needed a new water pump. When the the maytag repair man came, he told me he would never buy a maytag, and that the same parts always break on them. I asked him what he would buy, and he said whirlpool.

I bought all new appliances at the same time after our house fire. So far, I have had the maytag diswasher repaired 5 times (in 3 years), the washer twice, and the dryer once. All my other appliances are GE and have been great.
Go to Top of Page

ali2583
True Blue Farmgirl

404 Posts

Alison
Winnipeg Manitoba
Canada
404 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2007 :  05:38:07 AM  Show Profile
Hi Lori,
I have a front loader made by Beaumark (which is basically Frigidaire, but made for the Bay) and I really like it. I especially love that you can really cram a lot of clothes into the washer, and they still come out clean. I guess the only drawback to the front loaders is that when they go on the "spin" cycle, they really, really spin your clothes, so sometimes they come out a little twisty. Other than that, no complaints! From one Canadian Farmgirl to another...

"God's gift to you is life. What you choose to do with that life is your gift to God"
Go to Top of Page

Hideaway Farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1553 Posts

Jo
Virginia
USA
1553 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2007 :  06:05:05 AM  Show Profile
Here's a similar posting from earlier this year; may be helpful to you!

http://www.maryjanesfarm.org/snitz/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9304&SearchTerms=washing+machine

Jo

"Wish I had time to work with herbs all day!"
Go to Top of Page

Patsy
True Blue Farmgirl

592 Posts

Illinois
USA
592 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2007 :  06:53:48 AM  Show Profile
I guess I have been pretty fortunate. I bought a Maytag top loader about 10 years ago and haven't had any trouble with it. But I have heard other people say they have had all kinds of problems with theirs. Mine will probably have to be replaced in the next couple of years and I probably won't buy another Maytag with all the problems others have had.

May God bless those who love the soil,

Patsy

Go to Top of Page

MsCwick
True Blue Farmgirl

775 Posts

Cristine
Farmville Virginia
USA
775 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2007 :  09:26:31 AM  Show Profile
My MIL has a Whirlpool Duet, and loves it!!! She has both the washer and dryer. Said her electric and water bill have decreased since purchasing them too!
Go to Top of Page

Canadian farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

482 Posts

Lori
Ontario
Canada
482 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2007 :  07:24:28 AM  Show Profile
Wow, thanks for all the feedback! I checked Consumer Reports online at my library, and the Whirlpool washers have the lowest repair rate (and Maytag the highest).

It is such a gamble, buying a big-ticket appliance these days. However, I want to be ready and know what I want when this machine dies, as I do laundry almost every day around here (don't we all?)

My sister says get what YOU want, you're the one going to be using it!

Washing machines are certainly a major part of every woman's life, aren't they?

Lori
Go to Top of Page

shannanstitches
True Blue Farmgirl

62 Posts

Shannan
Havre de Grace Maryland
USA
62 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2007 :  07:38:46 AM  Show Profile
I have the front loading Whirlpool Duet. It was the best purchase I ever made!! I haven't had any problems with it and it doesn't leak. There's even a locking mechanism that prevents the door from being opened while its on (very important if you have kids anywhere near the laundry room). Oh and if you get a front loader, I recommend paying the extra and getting the drawer that goes underneath (you won't have to bend over as much to get laundry in and out of the machine).

my blog: http://shannanstitches.blogspot.com/
my pictures: http://www.flickr.com/photos/shannanstitches/
Go to Top of Page

Jana
True Blue Farmgirl

482 Posts

Jana
Eau Claire Wisconsin
USA
482 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2007 :  5:55:48 PM  Show Profile
Actually, I have a Whirlpool washer and dryer, don't know the model. Washer is top load. I've had this set for about 15 years. We've even done a repair on the dryer ourselves and replaced the ductwork when we learned that the flexible hose one was a fire hazzard.
These machines survived 2 teenage girls. You know, lets put 15 pairs of jeans in to wash at once. While a bit noisey by appliance standards today, I think they will last a bit longer.

Jana

Edited by - Jana on Oct 01 2007 4:29:35 PM
Go to Top of Page

Tammy Claxton
True Blue Farmgirl

1559 Posts

Tammy
Glen Burnie Maryland
USA
1559 Posts

Posted - Sep 29 2007 :  9:58:46 PM  Show Profile  Send Tammy Claxton an AOL message
I have a Maytag and I hate it! I've had it for almost 2 years and I've had it repaired twice for the same thing - spin motor went up!

What doesn't kill you only makes you stronger!

http://countryintheburbs.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

mommatracy
True Blue Farmgirl

490 Posts

Tracy
My. Olive NC
USA
490 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2007 :  4:43:33 PM  Show Profile
I use a large Maytag that holds alot of laundry and I love it. Last week I found a Maytag wringer washing machine at a little vintage, used, collectible store. It is in great shape and the lady said it works. I would love to have it and would use it but nowhere to put it. Needs a washhouse. My DH would just shake his head if I pulled up with it loaded on the truck!
Go to Top of Page
  Cleaning Up: Previous Topic What kind of washing machine do you have? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page