Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Farm Kitchen
 Bakeovers, for those who don't want to use mixes
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Bakeovers, for those who don't want to use mixes Next Topic  

ivmeer
True Blue Farmgirl

409 Posts

Amanda
Pawtucket RI
USA
409 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2005 :  07:32:50 AM  Show Profile
I'm going to try making my first bakeover tonight. I have some leftover salmon, and I'm going to buy a fennel bulb, take some wilting spinach I have in my fridge, some dill, and some red peppers I roasted a few days ago and top it with the basic recipe crust, and make a cucumber/yogurt thing on the side.

I was looking at the bakeover recipes in the book, and I noticed that with the exception of the "basic recipe" the book provides, the only other option they give is to use one of MaryJane's mixes. I noticed that none of the mixes MaryJane recommends for topping bakeovers are meant only for use on bakeovers. In other words, the cornbread topping is a regular cornbread mix, etc.

Well, my Jewish mother would never forgive me for buying cornbread mix.

So the question I have is, if I wanted to make other bakeover toppings--I've specifically got my eye on doing a cornbread-topped one--should I try modifying the original bakeover crust recipe? I was thinking of substituting 1 cup cornmeal for 1 cup of the flour, milk for the water, and adding a couple tablespoons of sugar. Can I just use any old cornbread recipe?

Any tips from experienced farmgirls would be of help.

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2005 :  4:22:50 PM  Show Profile
I haved used my favorite cornbread recipe..and it came out great. I think you could do that with whatever your favorite is!

Jenny in Utah
The best things in life arn't things!
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Bakeovers, for those who don't want to use mixes Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page