Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Farm Kitchen
 Rhubarb -- What are your favorite ways to use it?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Rhubarb -- What are your favorite ways to use it? Next Topic  

pnwchica
Farmgirl in Training

46 Posts

Suzy
WA
USA
46 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2005 :  9:56:25 PM  Show Profile  Send pnwchica an AOL message
Hi all,

Well looks like our rhubarb will be ready before too long and there is lots of it. This will be my first year to cook, can and do whatever I can with it. Any and all suggestions, recipes are welcome.

Bless,
Suzy

Looking for new beef recipes, frugal & gardening tips, farmhouse remodeling & ez home recipes.

Eileen
True Blue Farmgirl

1199 Posts

Eileen

USA
1199 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2005 :  08:38:37 AM  Show Profile
Hi Suzy,
In the summer when the rhubarb is abundant I clean and slice it up then put it in the freezer for a winter taste of summer. In spring and summer I make rhubarb pie, tart, and combine it with strawberries for another wonderful pie. Sometimes I make a sweet rhubarb sauce and serve it over vanilla icecream. Have also stirred some of this sauce into my favorite muffin recipe before baking, yummy. When I was a little girl I used to love to get a freshly picked piece of rhubarb and suck on it. I know, sour!!! I guess I love sour things.
Eileen

songbird; singing joy to the earth
Go to Top of Page

cecelia
True Blue Farmgirl

497 Posts

cecelia
new york
USA
497 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2005 :  8:02:59 PM  Show Profile
I usually make rhubarb/strawberry pies, to cut down on the amount of sugar (rhubarb alone is too tart). Other than pies, I guess you can put it over ice cream, as a topping (cook up with sugar).

Cecelia

ce's farm

"Curiosity is one of the forms of feminine bravery" Victor Hugo
Go to Top of Page

ThymeForEweFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

705 Posts

Robin
An organic farm in the forest in Maine
USA
705 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2005 :  04:28:55 AM  Show Profile
I make strawberry-rhubarb jam.

Robin
Thyme For Ewe Farm
www.thymeforewe.com
Go to Top of Page

Whimsy_girl
True Blue Farmgirl

576 Posts

USA
576 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2005 :  7:22:59 PM  Show Profile
I just did a batch of rhubarb squares, 3 rhubarb pies and rhubarb jam between last night and today... we have 4 gigantic plants going in the yard. tomorrow if the kids behave as well as they did today I will be making rhubarb bread and a rhubarb crisp. the bread freezes really well... this is a first time I've made the squares though so I don't know how well they freeze.. But the sample I had was a lot sweeter than the pies. My pies came out more sour than usual this year... We just moved here last month so I am working from different plants than before, so that may be why... I didn't bring my recipes down to the computer with me but if anyone wants any of these recipes, e-mail me and I'll give them to you!

you can be oh so smart, or you can be oh so positive. I wasted a lot of time being smart I prefer being positive. James Stewart in the movie HARVEY
Go to Top of Page

ivmeer
True Blue Farmgirl

409 Posts

Amanda
Pawtucket RI
USA
409 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2005 :  07:54:56 AM  Show Profile
Got this recipe from the Chicago Tribune. I use less butter than it calls for. It claims to make 8 servings, but as I recall, they're large servings.

Rhubarb and strawberry crumble

Rhubarb Strawberry filling:
1/2 cup sugar
2 T flour
1/8 t ground ginger
1/2 vanilla bean, split and scraped (I use 1 t vanilla extract instead)
1 lb rhubarb stalks, trimmed, cut into 1/2 inch pieces.
2 pints large ripe strawberries, stemmed, quartered.
2 T lemon juice
2 T unsalted butter, cut into small pieces (you can reduce this or cut it out, and the recipe still works)

Crumble topping:
1/2 stick unsalted butter, at room temperature
1/2 c each: flour, light bronw sugar, rolled oats
1/2 t ground cinnamon
1/8 t salt

1. Heat oven to 350 degrees. Whisk together sugar, flour and ginger in the mixing bowl. Add vanilla bean scrapings (or vanilla extract) rhubarb, straw berries, lemon juice and butter pieces. Toss together and transfer to a buttered 10-inch baking dish.

2. Combine all of teh toping ingredients in a large bowl; mix, pressing with your fingers until the butter completely blends with the other ingredients to form a crumbly paste. Crumble th etopping over the rhubarb-strawberry mixture.

Bake until golden brown and bubbling, 25-30 mins. Remove the dish from the oven; let cool 15 minutes. Serve in individual bolws typped with ice cream, if desired.
Go to Top of Page

ArmyWifey
True Blue Farmgirl

712 Posts

Holly
Abilene KS
712 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2005 :  09:31:31 AM  Show Profile
Hubby's Grandma gave me the following and Hubby who doesn't even like rhubarb likes it!

Cut up into small chunks
Boil in enough water to cover until soft
Add enough water and sugar to make a heavy syrup and boil again until rhubarb is basically dissolved.
Syrup will be brown.

Pour into jars and store in fridge or freezer containers.

Dilute equal parts syrup and 7up or sparkling water for a lovely summer drink!

Yum!

¸...¸ __/ /\____ ____
,·´º o`·,/__/ _/\_ //____/\
```)¨(´´´ | | | | | | | || |l±±±± |
¸,.-·²°´ ¸,.-·~·~·-.,¸ `°²·-. :º°

As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord!
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2005 :  10:13:04 AM  Show Profile
Holly, This sounds delicious!!! Thanks much for the recipe!

"Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I'll meet you there." Rumi, 13th century. http://www.xs4all.nl/~josvg/cits/sb/sb101.html
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Rhubarb -- What are your favorite ways to use it? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page