willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2007 :  3:38:54 PM  Show Profile
Hi! The harddrive on our desktop crashed today. HAve any of you delt with this before? What do I need to do to retreive the files and what type of price should I expect to pay. Anyway I am on my laptop which is really slow so I may not be around as much til we get this worked out. Any advise would be great! Julie

Felt and Fabric Crafts
www.willowartist.etsy.com
www.willowtreecreek.com
BLOG
www.willowtreecreek.wordpress.com

janetinva123
True Blue Farmgirl

363 Posts

Janet
newport news va
USA
363 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2007 :  4:37:42 PM  Show Profile
when i was visiting my daughter her hard drive crashed and we had to pay 165 for a new installed one also included the diagnostic. that does not include getting the data off. there are people who can do that but i don't have a source. we saved the drive because it has baby pictures on it but not sure it will do us any good. are you sure it is the hard drive. sometimes the battery can act like the hard drive is crashed. but if it is clicking when you try to boot it is def the hard drive. turn it off so that incase you can get your data back your aren't destroying any more data.

Jc
http://beloved-creations.blogspot.com
http://beloved-creations.com
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2007 :  6:54:14 PM  Show Profile
It is a desktop so it does not have a battery. I called tech support and they walked me through a diagnostic and it is definately the hard drive (yes it is making clicking noises). It is 68.95 for a replacement harddrive through dell. I would have to get the info transferred locallly. Just not sure how much I should expect to pay.

Felt and Fabric Crafts
www.willowtreecreek.com
BLOG
Go to Top of Page

Bluewrenn
True Blue Farmgirl

1122 Posts

Erin
Texas
USA
1122 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2007 :  10:20:29 AM  Show Profile
The amount is going to vary by location, I think, so it's hard to give you an estimate. Depends on whether your tech guy/gal is local or part of a chain...

You might be able to get an estimate by calling your local Best Buy store...

My Homesteading Journal http://toomyvara.livejournal.com

My craft journal http://bluewrenn.livejournal.com

Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2007 :  10:42:05 AM  Show Profile
My "local" best buy is 80 miles away! I live in the middle of NOWHERE! Oh well. Maybe we will just buy a new computer.

Felt and Fabric Crafts
www.willowtreecreek.com
BLOG
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2007 :  2:25:10 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Julie-

I would try calling your local high school and asking to talk to their computer science person. He/She might be able to transfer the data for you or refer you to someone more local.

Alee
The amazing one handed typist! One hand for typing, one hand to hold Nora!
http://home.test-afl.tulix.com/aleeandnora/
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2007 :  3:19:54 PM  Show Profile
I teach at the high school. Our computer person didn't know anyone and didn't know how to do it. To be honest I know more about computers than her. There are 2 numbers under computer service in the phone book I will try tomorrow.

Felt and Fabric Crafts
www.willowtreecreek.com
BLOG
Go to Top of Page

queenofdreamsz4u
True Blue Farmgirl

3845 Posts

Stephanie Suzanne
Smoky Mountains Tennessee
USA
3845 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2007 :  6:39:29 PM  Show Profile
Hey there, I just had my harddrive crash last week and got it back on Thursday I guess. Anyway, I paid a tech fee of $60 to have my new drive installed and all of my data transferred to a DVD.

I already had a small harddrive that I used to replace the bad one..I'm trying to wait til the end of the year before having a new system built.

That $68.95 price sounds good if there is any size to the harddrive?? How many gigs is that for?

If your drive is still functioning you can get the data copied off of it but they may charge a set charge or even an hourly fee that it takes to transer it since it's very slow.

I'm thankful the guy managed to get my data copied. I had several disks of graphics that I keep updated but I know that I had probably missed some.

I know how you feel..it's kind of a sick feeling, isn't it? LOL
Let us know how it turns out.

...til nextt time ~ queenofdreamsz

"hold close your inner child and always listen to the gentle whispers" ~queenofdreamsz
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2007 :  7:39:46 PM  Show Profile
Thanks stepanie that was helpful. I think we are just going to buy a whole new computer. This one is almost 6 years old and is a dinosaur compared to the few we have looked at. I still want to try to get someone to get the old data off like pictures and things. I'm still gonna look into that.

Felt and Fabric Crafts
www.willowtreecreek.com
BLOG
Go to Top of Page

queenofdreamsz4u
True Blue Farmgirl

3845 Posts

Stephanie Suzanne
Smoky Mountains Tennessee
USA
3845 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2007 :  8:11:25 PM  Show Profile
Hey Julie,

Yeah, it's time for a new computer! I have a new one built about every 4-5 years. If you buy a new system from a retailer now you are forced to use the new Microsoft Vista operating system. I hate using a new platform in the beginning....like to wait a couple of years for them to work out alot of the "bugs".

If you would have your system built by a computer shop you can still request that Windows XP be installed. Watch out for the "lack" of memory (RAM) on the new readymade systems. They are way under equipped to allow you to enjoy all the features of Vista. If they tell you that 1 gig of RAM is sufficient to run Vista..they aren't lying. BUT what they aren't going to tell you is that it takes a minimum of 2 gigs RAM to tap into all the features and have it run half way decent. The system is going to stall and not function properly with just 1 gig of RAM.

Also, before you buy readymade with Vista...go to the microsoft.com website and there is a gizmo that will run a checklist that is on your computer and tell you what programs WILL and WIll NOT run on Vista. Another reason to stick with Windows XP a bit longer.

I'm running 1 gig of memory on my old system (3 1/2 years old) right now and I use Photoshop and Microsoft Digital Image Pro and Adobe Illustrator which are all memory hogs and I'm surviving with 1 gig BUT under Vista it in itself requires so much more memory to run that it's gonna slow down all of your graphic related programs you use which will be a pain!

My next system will have 3 gigs RAM to cover myself for the future software demands on memory, to run Vista the way it is intended and to get me through about 4 more years without being crippled by new technology.

I'll be happy to recommend all that you will need to request if you want to have a system built instead of buying the readymade systems. I may cost a bit more in the door but in the long run you will have a system that will operate just the way you need it too.

So that's my two cents worth! Too bad the store won't let you test drive a system for a few days just to see how it will work with the programs that you use everyday.

Email if I can help in anyway!

...til next time ~ queenofdreamsz

"hold close your inner child and always listen to the gentle whispers" ~queenofdreamsz
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Computer harddrive crashed Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page