Printer Friendly
Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic eggless ice cream recipes Next Topic  

Whimsy_girl
True Blue Farmgirl

576 Posts

USA
576 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2005 :  10:22:03 PM  Show Profile
Does anyone have a good eggless ice cream recipe they can reccomend? I make our own, and it usually comes out pretty good, but tonight the kids were crying and I left the mixture on the burner too long and it wasn't until I had a huge canister of frozen mixed berry ice cream that tasted like scrambled eggs that I realized I screwed up [x(] ... If I could nix the eggs I could avoid the waste of ingrediants and time and everything

you can be oh so smart, or you can be oh so positive. I wasted a lot of time being smart I prefer being positive. James Stewart in the movie HARVEY

mollymae
True Blue Farmgirl

694 Posts

Molly
Visalia California
USA
694 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2005 :  07:04:52 AM  Show Profile
ROFL this happened to me this last Wednesday! My first time making homemade ice-cream, and I didn't know that the eggs would actually cook....yuck....hehe. Anyway, here is an eggless one my friend gave me. I haven't tried it yet, let me know how it works out!

Vanilla Ice Cream

2 cups cream
2 cups half and half
1 cup sugar
1 tb. vanilla extract (not flavoring)

Freeze as directed. Makes 2 qts.

Cead Mile Failte,
Molly

"If I can stop one heart from breaking, I shall not live in vain. If I can ease one life the Aching or cool one pain, or help one fainting robin unto his nest again, I shall not live in vain" ~Emily Dickinson

**When life throws scraps your way ~ Make a Quilt!**

Sisterhood of the Traveling Art
Go to Top of Page

Whimsy_girl
True Blue Farmgirl

576 Posts

USA
576 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2005 :  10:52:20 PM  Show Profile
thanks, I'll let you know how it goes... probably wont be till next week before I can get out to the store to buy the half and half, so I'll let you know then!

you can be oh so smart, or you can be oh so positive. I wasted a lot of time being smart I prefer being positive. James Stewart in the movie HARVEY
Go to Top of Page

mollymae
True Blue Farmgirl

694 Posts

Molly
Visalia California
USA
694 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2005 :  06:31:55 AM  Show Profile
Sounds good, Bobbi!

Cead Mile Failte,
Molly

"If I can stop one heart from breaking, I shall not live in vain. If I can ease one life the Aching or cool one pain, or help one fainting robin unto his nest again, I shall not live in vain" ~Emily Dickinson

**When life throws scraps your way ~ Make a Quilt!**

Sisterhood of the Traveling Art
Go to Top of Page

realme52
True Blue Farmgirl

106 Posts

Klara
Gatesville Texas
USA
106 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2005 :  5:23:14 PM  Show Profile
Since you are going out to get the Half-and-Half, you may want to get an extra carton and thry this:

1 carton half-and-half (the large size)
1 box (3.4oz) Jello Instant Pudding and Pie Mix
Mix together for 2 min., freeze (stir occasionally while it's freezing, if you are not using an icecream maker)

This is not natural nor healthy or something (probably full of some stuff one shouldn't ingest ) but it is absolutely super simple and so delicious! I tried this with Vanilla Pudding Mix and it turned out great!

from this hour i ordain myself loss'd of limits and imaginary lines -Walt Whitman
Go to Top of Page

ivmeer
True Blue Farmgirl

409 Posts

Amanda
Pawtucket RI
USA
409 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2005 :  10:48:35 AM  Show Profile
Mollymae, the trick with "thickening" eggs is to keep the fire really, really low. Try making hollandaise sauce first. You thicken the egg yolks with just a little bit of water. When you do it, you can acutally see the point where they thicken, and it's just before they cook.

I hope this helps.
Go to Top of Page

CelticCoyote
True Blue Farmgirl

111 Posts

Heather
Illinois
USA
111 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2005 :  11:37:25 AM  Show Profile
Oooooh, y'all oughta check out the Ben & Jerry's Ice Cream recipe book!! You can get it rather cheap on Amazon. The recipes are to die for! It covers pretty much all of their different flavors, plus a whole host of others you've never heard of, PLUS some cookie & brownie & sauce recipes, too! Darn good eats, I tell ya...
Go to Top of Page

countrymommy85
True Blue Farmgirl

898 Posts

Krystle
MT
USA
898 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2012 :  06:11:09 AM  Show Profile
I'm totally going to try these recipes out with our new ice cream maker that was handed down to us by some relatives! I'm so excited because summer is coming and there is nothing like home made ice cream!!!

Mothers are those wonderful people who can get up in the morning before the smell of coffee. ~Author Unknown

http://countryrenaissance.blogspot.com
http://www.etsy.com/shop/SunflowersAndHoney
Go to Top of Page

traildancer
True Blue Farmgirl

485 Posts

Loyce
Glide OR
USA
485 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2012 :  09:43:35 AM  Show Profile
The recipe that I use is not cooked. It does have eggs, but they aren't cooked. My mom used to make the cooked kind and we had to wait forEVER for the custard to cool enough that it wouldn't just melt the ice while cranking. I prefer the no-cook recipe.

If you like, I will share. Won't be until Monday as I won't be home this weekend.

The trail is the thing.... Louis L'Amour
Go to Top of Page

sweettea
True Blue Farmgirl

55 Posts

Candace
St Cloud MN
USA
55 Posts

Posted - May 30 2012 :  8:32:19 PM  Show Profile
Our favorite ice cream recipe is made with buttermilk. No cooking is involved. It's the only one we use now.

Buttermilk Ice Cream

1 quart buttermilk
1 cup heavy cream
1 cup sugar
1 TB. vanilla extract

Freeze as directed.

"There are two ways to live: you can live as if nothing is a miracle; you can live as if everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Go to Top of Page

mickib
True Blue Farmgirl

267 Posts

Michele
Coeur d'Alene Idaho
267 Posts

Posted - Jun 06 2012 :  2:07:49 PM  Show Profile
I got this recipe from an Italian cookbook (don't remember which one) a few years ago. It's super simple and very fruity. I would imagine you could use whatever fruit you like in place of the apricots.

Gelato

1 pound Apricots
1 cup Water
1 cup Sugar
½ cups Heavy Whipping Cream

Wash apricots, cut in half and remove pit. Process apricots, water and sugar in a food processor until everything is liquid and there are no chunks of apricot. In a separate bowl, whip the cream until it starts to get thick but not until it is like whipped cream. Fold apricot mixture into cream. Put mixture into an ice cream maker and follow the instructions for your ice cream maker.

Edited by - mickib on Jun 06 2012 2:08:27 PM
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic eggless ice cream recipes Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page