Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - May 23 2012 :  2:22:59 PM  Show Profile
Hi Girls -

A dear friend sent this to me today... it's pretty darned cool:

http://www.youtube.com/watch_popup?v=YnBF6bv4Oe4&feature=youtu.be

She commented that this is really a waste of electricity, though. My response was that I'm no fan of microwaves, but when you consider that when you boil or steam it, you're using up a lot of time and energy to shuck it, you're using water, losing vitamins, and then you also use the energy to boil the water and actually cook the corn... I'm not so sure which is more or less of a drain on resources.

As far as the boiling corn goes, though... Boiled corn water, drinken after cooled, is a natural diuretic. And if you don't use salt in the water, when it's cooled, it's awesome to pour on your veggie plants in the garden (a "MaryJane" tip, thank you!!!!) - they'll soak up the nutrients!!!

Guess it's all relative. Like I said, I personally hate the microwave, but my husband loves it. Ours went kablooey last month and I have been avoiding replacing it like the plague. 'Been a bit of a sore subject around here. 'Hope he doesn't see this corn prep tip... He'll NEVER let up on me about getting a new one! LOL!

Happy day to all!

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

Edited by - Ninibini on May 23 2012 2:24:19 PM

alterationsbyemily
True Blue Farmgirl

686 Posts

Emily
Thomasville PA
USA
686 Posts

Posted - May 23 2012 :  6:03:25 PM  Show Profile
8 minutes! You could pick and pick and pick and get the same results...

---
Farmgirl #2951
No longer renting, offical farmgirl.
Check out my new blog at http://featheredhattrading.blogspot.com/
And my new Etsy listings http://www.etsy.com/shop/alterationsbyemily
Go to Top of Page

natesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1735 Posts

angela
martinsville indiana
USA
1735 Posts

Posted - May 23 2012 :  9:42:02 PM  Show Profile
I prefer my corn grilled in the husk on the bbq. I think hubby and the kids might find it a neat way to make corn. We might try it just once as a science experiment. I'm sure if I did a little internet searchin I might be able to get the actual science behind it. Then they could try makin corn a bunch of different ways and see which tastes better and is faster and easier and stuff.

Thanks!

Farmgirl Sister #1438

God - Gardening - Family - Is anything else important?
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - May 23 2012 :  10:23:36 PM  Show Profile
I love grilled corn! I was thinking that this gentleman's method might be a really neat thing if you work in an office or have a microwave available at work - what a quick, yummy, healthy lunch this would be! And your co-workers would thing you are brilliant! :)

Farmgirl Sister #1974

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

Go to Top of Page

jan49829
True Blue Farmgirl

2428 Posts

Janet
Gladstone Mi.
USA
2428 Posts

Posted - May 24 2012 :  06:10:47 AM  Show Profile
Using the microwave is a good idea, but like many of you, I like mine grilled outdoors also. So yummy that way, but maybe will try the microwave one day just to see how it is.

Janet
Farmgirl Sister #3340

http://hardatworkcrafts.blogspot.com

http://Jan49829.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - May 25 2012 :  03:55:21 AM  Show Profile
a much faster way if you don't mind a bit of crunch (and still using the microwave) is shucking the corn, wetting paper towels, rolling a cob loosly in the towel and nuking for 3 minutes, It steams the corn in 1/2 the time.
At work we have access to unbleached paper towels too, so added bonus!

Great to do for those of us who love our corn and want to take a piece of home with us to our work place lunch stations in the city.

I've known THIS technique since the 80's. :)

Not too practical for large families, but like I said, for the working farm gal in a pinch. Otherwise for us, it's pre boil the water or steam.
Go to Top of Page

Megan
True Blue Farmgirl

155 Posts

Megan
Hudson South Dakota
USA
155 Posts

Posted - May 26 2012 :  07:15:13 AM  Show Profile
ok 8 mins and i could have husked 12 ears, or so and had little to no silks to worry about. Been around corn since before i can remember, and love it. I just husk it as anyone else would i guess, but have always been told that i was fast. as a kid when we canned corn i sat and husked corn, but had to be inside to cut it off the cob when the first batch was done boiling, so i guess you learn little tricks.

www.rockriverexoticsandkennel.net
Go to Top of Page

Melina
True Blue Farmgirl

435 Posts

Melina

USA
435 Posts

Posted - Jun 03 2012 :  09:04:46 AM  Show Profile
I've tried it twice, didn't work either time. I had to peel it away, but it did come out clean, no silks, so I guess it "technically" worked.

The morning breeze has secrets to tell you. Do not go back to sleep.
Rumi
Go to Top of Page

sjmjgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

566 Posts

Stephanie
Mt. Vernon Iowa
USA
566 Posts

Posted - Jun 04 2012 :  3:45:05 PM  Show Profile
Me, too Megan. I guess growing up in Iowa Ive just gotten so used to doing it, Im pretty fast now. Although I do cook the corn in the microwave after I shuck it. Just put about 6 ears in a large ziploc bag and close it halfway. Nuke about 5-6 min and done. Perfect every time!

Farmgirl Sister # 3810

Learn the rules so you know how to break them properly.
- Dalai Lama

April is Autism Awareness month. Autism affects 1 in 88 children (1 in 54 boys, including my son). Go to http://www.autismspeaks.org/ to learn more and help Light It Up Blue on April 2nd!

Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Easy Corn on the Cob Prep... Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page