mikesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3659 Posts

Sherri
Elma WA
USA
3659 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2007 :  06:13:14 AM  Show Profile
Very cool! I think you'd have to be taller than me to carry something like that off, but I love it.
Go to Top of Page

nashbabe
True Blue Farmgirl

687 Posts

687 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2007 :  06:18:19 AM  Show Profile
Oh well, it's all in sizes 0, 1, and 2. *sigh*

Crunchy crafty goodness and psychoses...;-)http://nashbabe.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

mikesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3659 Posts

Sherri
Elma WA
USA
3659 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2007 :  06:30:38 AM  Show Profile
I couldn't believe the sizing was only 0,1, and 2, so I clicked on the sizing button and it explains their different sizing method. The two goes all the way up to a 22, so it's not what it seems. Really pretty comfortable looking clothes. Thanks Stephanie.
Go to Top of Page

jcbtxstars
True Blue Farmgirl

77 Posts

Julia C
Midland Texas
USA
77 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2007 :  06:49:00 AM  Show Profile
Oh, I love those things...all of it...very $$$$...I will need to see if my sister can help me perhaps...duplicate....
Julia
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2007 :  07:26:51 AM  Show Profile
I could easily understand how you might not feel comfortable in that type of scenario. I'm not a fan of "faux chic" or talking to folks that I don't want to about things I don't want to--even if I'd like them to buy my stuff! As a dancer, I experienced this "phenomena" at Gala's, and my husband, a musician, experiences this from time to time at certain "cool" bars and venues. He's far more hip than I am, wearing vintage clothes and cool glasses, but has said, "wow, I wish someone would have told me to take my "extra cool" vitamins this morning! I can't wait to get back home to the doghair!".

There are many ways to feel comfortable in your own skin, and if overalls are it, throw a crisp white collared shirt on under them, some bright silver and turquoise jewelry (or whatever stones you dig) and go as you are--as who you are--I would think that someone who is really interested in buying something from you values who you are-- really, truly are, as well.

A friend of ours is an artist and she and couple of fellow artists get together 2 times a year and have a show in a somewhat renovated loft of a barn, in Rabbit Hash, Kentucky. Her stuff is cool, "found art", and the other artists have paintings, cut stone, etc...There are a couple of bottles of wine, some cheese, and LOTS of laughter. You can't take too much too seriously in Rabbit Hash, Kentucky, and she sold a LOT. All types show up, and yeah, there are some "coolies" and art snobs, and people who want to chat you up about your "technique" but she just rolls with it. At the last show, she had on black capris and a t shirt with one of her designs (some type of vintage image). That's what she wears to the grocery, and to Kohls, and to play music, and to hang out at home, too.

"She was built like a watch, a study in balance ... with a neck and head so refined, like a drawing by DaVinci"...
NY Newsday sportswriter Bill Nack describing filly, Ruffian.
Go to Top of Page

mikesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3659 Posts

Sherri
Elma WA
USA
3659 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2007 :  08:38:34 AM  Show Profile
Is there really a town called Rabbit Hash?
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2007 :  08:48:46 AM  Show Profile
There sure is. Lots of fun, too. It's about 10 minutes from our house and we go down alot for barn dances, belly dancing lessons (just me, not dh) art openings, hanging out on the porch with our pups. Lots of fun

Look here: http://www.maryjanesfarm.org/snitz/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=7907

"She was built like a watch, a study in balance ... with a neck and head so refined, like a drawing by DaVinci"...
NY Newsday sportswriter Bill Nack describing filly, Ruffian.
Go to Top of Page

mikesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3659 Posts

Sherri
Elma WA
USA
3659 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2007 :  9:54:06 PM  Show Profile
Judy - I would love to capture some of MaryJane's "look". She always looks wonderful, appropriate, and comfortable when I see pictures of her (mostly in her books). I would love to see her in person sometime.

You ladies have inspired me to make a couple of new outfits to wear at the Western WA fair, which I will be involved in next month. First, I think a long floral skirt to wear with a white T and my jean jacket. Then, maybe some drawstring pants and a tunic, I'm not sure. I haven't sewn for myself for years. I'm going to have to go get new patterns.
Go to Top of Page

Carol Sue
True Blue Farmgirl

4033 Posts

Carol Sue
Washingtonian
USA
4033 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2007 :  10:04:39 PM  Show Profile
Good for you Sherri, you go girl...

Enjoying life.
Go to Top of Page

Lizabeth
True Blue Farmgirl

560 Posts

Washington
560 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2007 :  10:43:48 PM  Show Profile
hooray sherri! I am delighted you'll be sewing for yourself :) I can't wait to see you at the fair... you'll have to let us know which booth.

http://www.handcraftsbyheather.com
Go to Top of Page

queenofdreamsz4u
True Blue Farmgirl

3845 Posts

Stephanie Suzanne
Smoky Mountains Tennessee
USA
3845 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2007 :  12:08:20 AM  Show Profile
Hey Sherri,

Yep, the clothes over at Barclays Studio are very pricey and also very inspiring for your own sewing adventures There is a page you can pull up for all their collections that is black line drawings of each piece in the collection...great inspiration for coming up with your own design.

www.barclaystudio.comGo to the collections page and then look for "click here for line drawings". It's great inspiration for new hemlines, pockets, accessories, etc.

Everything they have is oversized and layered and most any body type can pull it off with the pieces being the correct lengths for your body type.

I have a book that approaches sewing from a "holistic" point of view...I can plug in several different body measurements and give you the ideal lengths for vests, tops, skirts and dresses as well as the styles of these garments best suited for your particular body.

If you'll email me I'll send you a list of measurements that you can send to me and I'll calculate all of it for you..or I can send you the bodychart for you to do it for yourself..It really makes the difference between liking the garment and liking the way it looks on you.

If you are short like me you know how putting on ready to wear tops can actually cut your body in half...they are proportioned wrong to give any enhancement to the body..that alone can add to the bad "body image".

Talk to ya later,
Stephanie aka queenofdreamsz

www.dreamkingdomdesigns.com/apronpocketswap.html
www.dreamkingdomdesigns.com/artfulapronswap.html

"hold close your inner child and always listen to the gentle whispers" ~queenofdreamsz

Edited by - queenofdreamsz4u on Aug 08 2007 12:12:51 AM
Go to Top of Page

Lizabeth
True Blue Farmgirl

560 Posts

Washington
560 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2007 :  12:33:50 AM  Show Profile
Stephanie, could you tell us what book that is? I have such a time with proportions.
Go to Top of Page

queenofdreamsz4u
True Blue Farmgirl

3845 Posts

Stephanie Suzanne
USA
3845 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2007 :  01:08:37 AM  Show Profile
Hey Lizabeth,

I actually have three books by this lady:

Her name is Shirley Cunningham. I learned of her through a sewing studio that I took some patternmaking classes at when I lived in Mobile, Alabama.

She also designed one of the first "flat pattern" computer design programs using your specific measurements. I know there are tons of these out on the market now but back in the 80's there weren't.

Anyway, here are the names of them:

1. For the Style Of It ~ Volume III ~ The Artistic Handbook for the At Home Fashion Designer

...this is the book that deals with all the different types of clothing designs and how they look according to your body type. It also has the body chart I mentioned to Sherri for calculating all the correct lengths for your different clothing pieces. This is the best book I've ever read about what your body should be wearing.

Here is an excerpt from the "Perfectly Proportioned" section:

The ideal of perfect proportion through the use of fashion is based on the relationship of the horizontal lines of the shoulder to the floor and the other intersecting horizontal of the bust, waist, hip and knees, to the body canvas. This chapter instructs you in the procedure of determining the right location for all horizontal elements. You will, at last be able to know exactly how to find the correct length of a skirt, jacket or dress that will allow you to achieve a perfect balance in your fashion look.

2. Dressing Room ~ A shopping guide to Successful Fashion Sewing

This book is all about how to recognize the different body types and is really a good companion to "For the Style of It"

3. Sew it Seams ~ A collection of Sewing Solutions

This one deals with specific solutions such as:
The Waistline
Working with Ease in your patterns
Working with Bias layout
Working with Pleats
Working with Darts
Working with Sleeves

I found one link that is selling as used "For the Style of It" ~ Volume 2 and 3. http://www.alibris.com/search/detail.cfm?S=R&bid=9086951827&cm_mmc=shopcompare-_-base-_-nonisbn-_-na

I can also call the lady in Mobile and see if she still sells them if anyone else is interested in them.

Talk to ya later,
Stephanie

www.dreamkingdomdesigns.com/apronpocketswap.html
www.dreamkingdomdesigns.com/artfulapronswap.html

Edited by - queenofdreamsz4u on Aug 08 2007 01:37:15 AM
Go to Top of Page

therealshari
True Blue Farmgirl

235 Posts

Shari
Beryl UT
USA
235 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2007 :  09:39:07 AM  Show Profile  Send therealshari a Yahoo! Message
I remember many years ago, when I was doing "cooking demos" for our products. At that time the name of the company was "Triple R Ranch" and our product was rabbit meat.

One of the stores we went to said we weren't in compliance with their dress code... all their women clerks wore skirts. My mother and I were in our slacks and company polo shirts. My answer to them was that this was our company uniform, and that's what we were wearing for the demo... in other words, tough cookies.

I can also remember wearing a "tuxedo" to open a food show... that was one of those "fancy things" but by then the name of our company was "Classic Country Rabbit Company", so again, it was with the theme.

EVERYTHING you do is a part of your branding. As an artist... dress as you want, not how someone else thinks you should!

Shari Thomas
farmer, web copywriter, blogger
Shari's Gone Country
Vote for me at "Blog for a year"
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2007 :  10:19:43 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Sherri- The pictures of MaryJane are very true to life. I have met her several times and she always looks great, comfortable, and ready for anything! I suppose she would have to since she is so busy! :)

Alee
The amazing one handed typist! One hand for typing, one hand to hold Nora!
http://home.test-afl.tulix.com/aleeandnora/
Go to Top of Page

queenofdreamsz4u
True Blue Farmgirl

3845 Posts

Stephanie Suzanne
USA
3845 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2007 :  9:38:24 PM  Show Profile
Yes, Mary Jane has set her "brand" simply by being herself She's a good example for any farmgirl to follow that is questioning their self image. Just be yourself, not a stereotype Others take notice and are drawn to you.

...til next time ~ queenofdreamsz

"hold close your inner child and always listen to the gentle whispers" ~queenofdreamsz
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Across the Fence: Previous Topic Finding out who you are... Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page