mikesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3659 Posts

Sherri
Elma WA
USA
3659 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2007 :  10:37:26 PM  Show Profile
Well, I went to the "Artist Meet and Greet" tonight. It was definately not me. I had to wear a dress, yuck, tight uncomfortable shoes, yuck, and stand around and try to make small talk with snobbish- type people. This was at the gallery that started carrying my work about a month ago. Now, I appreciate that the owner wants my things in her gallery and it's flattering to be among all the wonderful artists, but give me a cow pasture, a tent, a pair of bibbed overalls, and an apron and I bet I can sell just as much stuff and have a good time doing it to real folks. I should have known that this was going to be an uncomfortable affair for me. They had one last year before the big YWCA benefit that I sold at. It was a great show, I made over $2000, but I really didn't fit in. I'm not being down on myself, I just know who I am and who I'm comfortable around. Wine tasting and piano music with the guy trying to sing Elton John's Rocket Man while we all stand around and nod at each other is not my style. I did sell some stuff, but no more than I would at a good old fashioned farm style craft show or farmer's market. Good to know who you are in this world, and best to try not to push yourself where you really don't want to go. I'm me - take me as I am or not at all.

Marybeth
True Blue Farmgirl

6418 Posts

Mary Beth
Stanwood Wa 98292
USA
6418 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2007 :  10:41:49 PM  Show Profile
Right on, Sherri. MB

www.strawberryhillsfarm.blogspot.com
www.day4plus.blogspot.com www.holyhouses-day4plus.blogspot.com
"Life may not be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well dance!"
Go to Top of Page

Carol Sue
True Blue Farmgirl

4033 Posts

Carol Sue
Washingtonian
USA
4033 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2007 :  10:42:37 PM  Show Profile
Good for your Sherri and I have to say I would have felt a little out of place. First of all, did you know anybody? Glad that you sold some of your things, at least you had that. So here you sit chatting with where you do feel comfortable. That is a very good thing. A dress, nope haven't worn one of those in a very long time!!!!!!!!!!!

Enjoying life.
Go to Top of Page

mikesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3659 Posts

Sherri
Elma WA
USA
3659 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2007 :  10:45:15 PM  Show Profile
I did know one person - the apprentice jeweler that works for my cousin. She has branched out on her own and is doing VERY well - a cute little girl about 20 years old. But you're right - I came right home and go online and started talking to my friends who are there for me and don't expect me to walk around with my nose in the air.
Go to Top of Page

Carol Sue
True Blue Farmgirl

4033 Posts

Carol Sue
Washingtonian
USA
4033 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2007 :  10:46:57 PM  Show Profile
Sherri, have you got the results back for your dh, been thinking about that?
CS

Enjoying life.
Go to Top of Page

mikesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3659 Posts

Sherri
Elma WA
USA
3659 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2007 :  10:51:23 PM  Show Profile
Yes, the doc says we're in a holding pattern. It looks good enough that he's not going to do anything now but keep an eye on it. Good news I think.
Go to Top of Page

Carol Sue
True Blue Farmgirl

4033 Posts

Carol Sue
Washingtonian
USA
4033 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2007 :  11:00:19 PM  Show Profile
Yes, I would consider that good news and the fact that the doc will keep on eye on it means he is paying attention. That is good as well.
Carol Sue

Enjoying life.
Go to Top of Page

queenofdreamsz4u
True Blue Farmgirl

3845 Posts

Stephanie Suzanne
Smoky Mountains Tennessee
USA
3845 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2007 :  11:32:04 PM  Show Profile
Sherri,

Sounds like you have been blessed with a great opportunity to market yourself and your creations. Why didn't you show up in your best overalls and apron and show them who you really are? Bet you'd make $3000 at the next event because they'd see you are cut of a different cloth than they are and the "snobs" of the world love something different

I realize that what I just said is bold but like you said, you gotta be who you are! This is how creative people are discovered all the time. You don't have to fit in, just show up! You are right about being fortunate to be included in this lady's gallery.

If she would discount you for showing up as "you" then she really doesn't appreciate art at all...She's USING the artist for HER OWN social gain.

You should try arriving as yourself at the next event with your calling cards in hand, so to speak

I've never met a wealthly person that wasn't fascinated with something different and that includes people

...til next time - queenofdreamsz

www.dreamkingdomdesigns.com
www.dreamkingdomdesigns.blogspot.com

"hold close your inner child and always listen to the gentle whispers" ~queenofdreamsz
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2007 :  12:37:34 AM  Show Profile
I would have been uncomfortable too.
I have found that the older I get the more I just decide to be myself. I got rid of all high heels when I turned 40 ..I always hated them anyhow. The only heels in my closet are on my cowboy boots..and they sure arn't high ones.
Steph is probably right...bet they would be facinated with you if you showed up comfortable!!

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2007 :  05:07:35 AM  Show Profile
Sherri,
Just be yourself, I mean you are an artist and an artist is NOT meant to conform. I think if I were to attend this kind of event, a pretty long skirt and sandals would be fine, well don't forget a pretty top, we do have to conform somewhat!
NANCY JO

www.Nancy-Jo.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

ruralfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

4309 Posts

Rene'
Prosser WA
USA
4309 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2007 :  1:44:49 PM  Show Profile  Send ruralfarmgirl a Yahoo! Message
Sherri, I too am learning that somedays it takes doing what you dont want.... to finally know what you do want... I stand with the rest of the gals, next time I would put on my favorite denim skirt, maryjanes and the biggest smile I could find :)...................R :)

Rene'~Farm Girl
"Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate, but that we are powerful beyond measure......"
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2007 :  5:29:18 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Hmm That sounds like it could have been rather uncomfortable. I am glad you got through the evening okay. Good thing it isn't everyday, right? :)

Alee
The amazing one handed typist! One hand for typing, one hand to hold Nora!
http://home.test-afl.tulix.com/aleeandnora/
Go to Top of Page

Lizabeth
True Blue Farmgirl

560 Posts

Washington
560 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2007 :  7:11:08 PM  Show Profile
I think what the other ladies have suggested is fabulous. If the others are truly artists they will appreciate your originality in showing up "as you are". Isn't this what you do for shows?
You can certainly dress up a little bit (think dress shirt with jeans v. knit tee shirt) but still be comfortable and look like the farmgirl you are.

http://www.handcraftsbyheather.com
Go to Top of Page

mikesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3659 Posts

Sherri
Elma WA
USA
3659 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2007 :  08:43:15 AM  Show Profile
I just got back to this thread - what great ideas from all of you. Yes, I agree, the outfits you describe are definately more "me". I need to go shopping for some clothes for these events, but same old story - I've gained weight and I'm unwilling to buy clothes in the larger size, plus with our financial woes lately I hate to spend the money. But, I agree, I would have been way more comfortable and relaxed.
Go to Top of Page

Luzy
True Blue Farmgirl

922 Posts

Luanne
Pueblo Colorado
USA
922 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2007 :  08:52:48 AM  Show Profile
Hi Sherri, I'd for sure feel the same way! I haven't worn a dress in almost 10 years! I'd much rather be in my overalls and jeans too. I'd love to know more about your artwork. Have you shown it to us, and I've just missed it? Please tell us more! Hugs, Lu

--
May I always be the kind of person my dog thinks I am.
http://luzy.etsy.com- My etsy store!
Go to Top of Page

mikesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3659 Posts

Sherri
Elma WA
USA
3659 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2007 :  08:59:31 AM  Show Profile
Luanne - there's a picture of a few of my things in the sewing forum. Frannie is making me labels and tags so she posted a picture with the headline "labels and tags" I bumped it, so it should be near the top. Sherri
Go to Top of Page

JudyBlueEyes
True Blue Farmgirl

657 Posts

Judith
Spokane Washington
USA
657 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2007 :  09:21:41 AM  Show Profile
Sherri, two suggestions. One - take a tip from our Mary Jane - she always dresses perfectly for the occasion, and she always looks very comfortable in her clothes. And her outfits typically show a farmgirl flair. So dress to please yourself, follow the "general guidelines" of what the gallery "expects" you to wear, and be comfortable. Two - shop the thrift stores - they carry all sizes of clothes and all styles, and would probably not dent your budget too badly. If you like black and can wear black, there is nothing better than basic black and you can dress it up with jewelry or scarves or shawls and always look just fine. I personally love the "gypsy" look and it is very creative and very versatile. So you go girl! Be yourself and be happy! Farmgirl hugs! Judy

We come from the earth, we go back to the earth, and in between, we garden!
Go to Top of Page

mikesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3659 Posts

Sherri
Elma WA
USA
3659 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2007 :  09:28:06 AM  Show Profile
Stephanie - I loved your response - I am still having a bit of a problem seeing myself as an "artist". I think I am a seamstress who likes to fiddle with design. But, when I figure out how to adjust that self image, I believe I will enjoy dressing as I please, which is exactly in the style you farmgirls have described. I would love to wear long skirts, denim skirts, cowboy boots and cute artsy tops. I just am not comfortable in anything anymore with this weight gain, so I just stick to the safe stuff. I need to upgrade my self image.
Go to Top of Page

Firemama
True Blue Farmgirl

1731 Posts

Amanda
Medical Lake WA
USA
1731 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2007 :  09:34:35 AM  Show Profile  Send Firemama a Yahoo! Message
Sherri good for you girl. Just be yourself, it isnt always the easiest thing to do. But you sound like you handled yuor own and you definatley know who you are! BigHugs!!

Mommy to 2
Your FreckleFaced Farm Girl!!
Help when you can, Pray when you can't.
Go to Top of Page

mikesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3659 Posts

Sherri
Elma WA
USA
3659 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2007 :  09:47:23 AM  Show Profile
Here's a perfect example of an outfit that is totally me (the me that's inside). I would wear this in a hearbeat if I hadn't gained so much weight.

This is from the new Coldwater Creek catalog. That would be so cute with cowboy boots - unfortunately, not so cute in my new size.

Edited by - mikesgirl on Aug 06 2007 09:48:17 AM
Go to Top of Page

Luzy
True Blue Farmgirl

922 Posts

Luanne
Pueblo Colorado
USA
922 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2007 :  10:10:12 AM  Show Profile
I just hopped over to the stitching room and saw your beautiful creations! They are just wonderful! I wish you much success and thanks for showing me where to find them. Hugs, Lu

--
May I always be the kind of person my dog thinks I am.
http://luzy.etsy.com- My etsy store!
Go to Top of Page

Hideaway Farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1553 Posts

Jo
Virginia
USA
1553 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2007 :  11:59:11 AM  Show Profile
Sherri, I love that outfit, and I just love the clothes sold by Coldwater Creek! Are you sure you can't duplicate the look anyway, in your current size? Might as well look great today, even if you are struggling with a temporary sizing situation.

Jo

"Wish I had time to work with herbs all day!"
Go to Top of Page

queenofdreamsz4u
True Blue Farmgirl

3845 Posts

Stephanie Suzanne
USA
3845 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2007 :  12:14:46 PM  Show Profile
Sherri,

You design and sew and I thought it would be fun to throw out there the definitions of who we really are:

This definition of "Artist" is the one that applies to those of us that are using fabrics as our canvas It can apply to other areas of design but since we sew I wanted to emphasize that area.

Artist - art·ist(ärtst)

2. A person whose work shows exceptional creative ability or skill.

Most folks tend to leave us out of the that "artist" arena because they think of "fine arts" or "performing arts" and that doesn't encompass what we do with the design and sewing.

And we are also a:

Designer - de·sign·er(d-znr)

One that produces designs: a book designer; a dress designer,etc.

1. Bearing the name, signature, or identifying pattern of a specific designer: designer clothing, designer purses, etc.
2. Conceived or created by a designer.

Ok, that was fun, wasn't it? LOL

Anyway, you and anyone else that seriously approaches their creative work and they intend for it to go places, so to speak, should stand up and give yourselves "credit" where it is due

Sherri, I know that your clothing size is bothering you but honey you know who you are on the inside. The outside will take care itself along the journey. So don't be too hard on yourself. We can strive for that perfect "everything" but in this present moment "be happy with who you are". It' a simple choice we can make everyday when we wake up

Now...go make something beautiful!!

...til next time - queenofdreamsz aka Stephanie

"hold close your inner child and always listen to the gentle whispers" ~queenofdreamsz
Go to Top of Page

mikesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3659 Posts

Sherri
Elma WA
USA
3659 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2007 :  12:31:16 PM  Show Profile
You guys are the best! Very inspirational words. I'll try to fake it til I make it!
Go to Top of Page

mikesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3659 Posts

Sherri
Elma WA
USA
3659 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2007 :  9:32:00 PM  Show Profile
I gave an example of what my idea outfit for going out would be. What's yours?
Go to Top of Page

queenofdreamsz4u
True Blue Farmgirl

3845 Posts

Stephanie Suzanne
USA
3845 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2007 :  10:23:53 PM  Show Profile
Hey Sherri,

Here's a comfort outfit I could live in while rubbing shoulders with those at the gallery This is from one of my favorite designer studios. http://www.barclaystudio.com/

Loose, Layered and comfortable...no hose, no high heels..slip on the Birkenstocks and be on my way

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Across the Fence: Previous Topic Finding out who you are... Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page