Author Garden Gate: Previous Topic when to harvest?? Next Topic  

AliShuShu
True Blue Farmgirl

150 Posts

Alison
Charlotte NC
USA
150 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2007 :  7:57:43 PM  Show Profile  Send AliShuShu an AOL message  Send AliShuShu a Yahoo! Message
this is our first year with a garden as big as we have... previously, all i've grown is tomatoes, cukes, squash & peppers... its not hard to tell when those are ready to pick...
but this year we have corn... how do you know whats under those husks?
and pawnee bush beans... the package shows them as a speckled bean that is shelled.. but right now they look like green beans... when will they be ready for picking? i've shelled purple hulls and field peas and know what they look like when they're shelled, but do they come directly off the bush looking like that? do you let them mature and dry on the bush?
thanks for all yall's help!

Alison
I think that if ever a mortal heard the voice of God it would be in a garden at the cool of the day. ~F. Frankfort Moore, A Garden of Peace
Namaste'
www.shumusings.com

Love-in-a-Mist
True Blue Farmgirl

367 Posts

Shannon
Independence Oregon
USA
367 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2007 :  12:40:04 PM  Show Profile
For the corn you harvest when you can squeeze the ear and the kernals are hard and feel full. You can also pull a little of the leaves back and sneak a peek.
We have bush beans and harvest when the are about 3-4 inches long and look full, but I don't know about that variety. Good Luck!

http://diaryofafarmerswife.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic when to harvest?? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page