Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Garden Gate
 Mushrooms for dyeing fiber and yarn
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Garden Gate: Previous Topic Mushrooms for dyeing fiber and yarn Next Topic  

ktknits
True Blue Farmgirl

582 Posts

Kathy
Northwest Indiana
USA
582 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2007 :  09:33:58 AM  Show Profile
Not sure if this is the right category to post in, but here goes.....

Got back from vacation to find there was a big patch of wild mushrooms in the yard--several different varieties. Typically we mow the lawn before they can really take hold and grow like this. I took some photos and hopefully on my lunch break I'll be able to load them to my blog. Anyway, I asked my husband to cut them & put them in a bucket before he mows the lawn so I can try dyeing fiber with them.

I've never done much in the way of dyeing, and nothing with mushrooms, but I'd like to give it a try since we have so many.

Anyone here on the list have any experience with this??

Kathy t

http://ktknits.blogspot.com

Mountain Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

806 Posts

JoAnn
Colville Washington
USA
806 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2007 :  11:46:57 AM  Show Profile
My husband is a mycologist so your post caught my eye and interest so I googled mushrooms dye and found this interesting site. There are even books on the subject. He could try and identify it for you when you post the picture. JoAnn
Go to Top of Page

ktknits
True Blue Farmgirl

582 Posts

Kathy
Northwest Indiana
USA
582 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2007 :  5:00:07 PM  Show Profile
Well, I've had all the mushrooms outside in buckets, and the little mushrooms got all weepy & smelley & buggey, so I tossed them. But, the big ones (I now have a picture on the blog) are getting hard and leathery in the sun. So, I think I'll leave them out on the deck and try dyeing with them Saturday. Don't know if I'll get anything or not, but I'd like to try. Mushrooms from what I've read can range in dye colors from nothing to salmon to purple and a whole range of golds, browns & greens--just depends on the variety of mushroom, the type of water you have and mordant you're using. I'll be excited to see if I get anything!

http://ktknits.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Shirley
True Blue Farmgirl

734 Posts

Shirley
Olympia Wa
USA
734 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2007 :  6:17:15 PM  Show Profile
I have used mushrooms to make dye, and didnt really get much colors, mostley earth tones and not real pretty ones. To me it isnt worth it for those colors. But now Lichens are another story, ive gotten some great colors from them, earthy with some pazazz. plus yellows and purples
Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic Mushrooms for dyeing fiber and yarn Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page