mikesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3659 Posts

Sherri
Elma WA
USA
3659 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2007 :  10:58:43 AM  Show Profile
DIL told my dh and I that she was walking near their home and saw some berries that she used to eat when she lived in Kentucky and she was thrilled because she didn't know they grew out here. When she described them, we all thought she had gone cuckoo. She said it was a berry TREE, and that they were cone shaped berries, like a blackberry, and very good to eat. DS, Dh and I all looked at each other and thought - oh she's finally lost it - a berry tree. DH asked her if maybe a berry vine had grown up into a tree and that's what she was seeing, but no, she insisted it was a tree. Well, we had to go see that. So we got into the car and drove over there and lo and behold, there was a berry tree. DH said the leaves looked like cascara, but it had berries on it. DIL went up to the house and asked about it, and the lady was very nice and said it was a Mulberry tree. Never heard of it - I've heard of Here we go round the Mulberry BUSH, but never tree. DIL asked if she could pick some, and she must have had a really excited look on her face because the lady said "OK, but don't get carried away!" Any of you know of such a tree?

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2007 :  11:06:12 AM  Show Profile
I remember as a kid there was a mulberry down the road from my grandma's house and we were SOOOO amazed by it. I have always wanted one..and have seen ONE growing here in town. Maybe I will put one in my yard. They get really big

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Linda K. Miller
Farmgirl in Training

43 Posts

Linda
Dunnville Kentucky
USA
43 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2007 :  2:15:58 PM  Show Profile
Girls, we came from the central san juaquin valley, in california and Mulberry trees are everywhere. We even had one in the backyard when we purchased our home, but had to have it removed because they are very, very messy, when the fruit drops from them onto the ground. Made a terrible mess with the pool and was planted right at the fence so as it grew it was pushing the fence. We have not seen any here in Casey county, do they grow well in Kentucky?? The fruit is wonderful to eat. There is also a fruitless Mulberry tree, one of which my parents planted in their front yard when they built a house. It grew into the most picture perfect tree you could ever ask for. Everyone always wanted to just sit outside under it and visit when they came to the house. Some folks trim their Mulberry trees back every year to control the shape and size.

Justmama from Amish Kentucky
Go to Top of Page

blueroses
True Blue Farmgirl

1323 Posts

Debbie
in the Pandhandle of Idaho
USA
1323 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2007 :  3:34:34 PM  Show Profile
we had them where i grew up too. they do make a mess but they're good.

"You cannot find peace...by avoiding life."
Virginia Woolfe
Go to Top of Page

mikesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3659 Posts

Sherri
Elma WA
USA
3659 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2007 :  3:45:56 PM  Show Profile
Yeah, I noticed the ground underneath the tree was purple with dropped berries.
Go to Top of Page

Carol Sue
True Blue Farmgirl

4033 Posts

Carol Sue
Washingtonian
USA
4033 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2007 :  4:37:05 PM  Show Profile
Hey Sherri,
I have heard that they are really good,
but never eatin any. Tell me what they
taste like....
Carol Sue

Enjoying life.
Go to Top of Page

mikesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3659 Posts

Sherri
Elma WA
USA
3659 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2007 :  5:18:53 PM  Show Profile
They kind of taste like raspberries, but I like raspberries better! (Especially in the form of jam, on top of Gary's biscuits.)
Go to Top of Page

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4739 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4739 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2007 :  6:37:24 PM  Show Profile
We have a huge Mulberry tree growing in our back yard. My husband absolutely loves the berries. Unfortunately, so do the birds. They make quite a mess on our deck. Mulberry trees are not considered a good thing by landscapers though. They are aggressive about the soil around them & can easily kill other trees off. The seeds of the tree get distributed by the birds. Ours is by itself, so we let it be.

Dawn in IL
Go to Top of Page

Carol Sue
True Blue Farmgirl

4033 Posts

Carol Sue
Washingtonian
USA
4033 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2007 :  9:30:49 PM  Show Profile
Oh Miss Sherri,
One of these days I will get some biscuits to you. I even tried calling him tonight, his phone is on the blink. Darn it. One of these days when you least expect it......
Hey can you freeze mulberries to make jam later. I would love to try some.
Carol Sue

Enjoying life.
Go to Top of Page

mikesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3659 Posts

Sherri
Elma WA
USA
3659 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2007 :  10:31:30 PM  Show Profile
I don't see why you couldn't freeze them - they seem just like any other berry, except they're up in a tree.
Go to Top of Page

cabinmoose
True Blue Farmgirl

218 Posts

Lorna
Forest Hill MD
USA
218 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2007 :  11:10:34 AM  Show Profile  Send cabinmoose an AOL message  Send cabinmoose a Yahoo! Message
I had two of these in my old yard. We were on vacation and lightening struck one of them and it fell on the house.....two weeks after we put on new siding and gutters.....:(

Then the other one never got berries again after that. It was sad.....

Lorna
Forest Hill, MD

“I laugh, I love, I hope, I try, I hurt, I need, I fear, I cry.
And I know you do the same things too, So we're really
not that different, me and you.” ~Colin Raye
Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic New to me Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page