Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Garden Gate
 Hollyhock seeds, does anyone have?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Garden Gate: Previous Topic Hollyhock seeds, does anyone have? Next Topic
Page: of 2

Carol Sue
True Blue Farmgirl

4033 Posts

Carol Sue
Washingtonian
USA
4033 Posts

Posted - Oct 03 2007 :  5:22:18 PM  Show Profile
Cindy, I emailed you, shoot quite a while back, that means it didn't go through, drat it. yes, they arrived and thank you thank you thank you. WAsn't sure whether to plant them down yet cause of the nutty weather. Didn't want them to come up and then freeze and ruing them. Cindy suggestions would be good.
Carol Sue

Enjoying life.
Go to Top of Page

Cindy Lee
True Blue Farmgirl

510 Posts

Cindy
Sparks Nevada
USA
510 Posts

Posted - Oct 03 2007 :  5:30:46 PM  Show Profile
Ummmm, I really don't know when to plant them. I was given plants from a friend long ago and now they just pop up every year. I'm sure one of our farmgirl sisters will know when to plant them. I'm just happy that the seeds made it to you!
Go to Top of Page

Carol Sue
True Blue Farmgirl

4033 Posts

Carol Sue
Washingtonian
USA
4033 Posts

Posted - Oct 03 2007 :  11:06:39 PM  Show Profile
Me too, I have my garden books, dahhhh do you think I should go look it up.
LOL
Thanks again Cindy.
CArol Sue

Enjoying life.
Go to Top of Page

hollyhock81
True Blue Farmgirl

125 Posts

FARAH
IN
USA
125 Posts

Posted - Oct 04 2007 :  5:12:12 PM  Show Profile
I would LOVE LOVE some seeds too.I have some larkspur,red poppy,and candy tuft if any would care to swap seeds with me.
Go to Top of Page

lisaclarke
Farmgirl at Heart

6 Posts

Lisa
Burtchville MI
USA
6 Posts

Posted - Oct 04 2007 :  5:37:57 PM  Show Profile
I'd love some seeds in any color - if anyone has more to share! Not sure when to plant in this area, since we're new here. Anyone know? We need to do some outside sprucing up to our new diggs! Hugs, Lisa
Go to Top of Page

hollyhock81
True Blue Farmgirl

125 Posts

FARAH
IN
USA
125 Posts

Posted - Oct 05 2007 :  11:01:59 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by lisaclarke

I'd love some seeds in any color - if anyone has more to share! Not sure when to plant in this area, since we're new here. Anyone know? We need to do some outside sprucing up to our new diggs! Hugs, Lisa

I have some if you want any.Email me your address.
I just moved a year ago myself,so I know how it feels to want to make your yard YOURS.
Farah
Go to Top of Page

Celticheart
True Blue Farmgirl

811 Posts

Marcia
WA
USA
811 Posts

Posted - Oct 05 2007 :  11:11:23 AM  Show Profile
Did everyone who wanted seed for black hollyhocks get some? I have alot. Just let me know. I'll share.

"Nature always has the last laugh." Mrs. Greenthumbs

Go to Top of Page

ktknits
True Blue Farmgirl

582 Posts

Kathy
Northwest Indiana
USA
582 Posts

Posted - Oct 05 2007 :  12:09:45 PM  Show Profile
I found this Q & A on planting Hollyhock seeds when I did a Google search. Hope it helps!
Q: I recently received hollyhock seeds and was wondering when I needed to plant them so they will come out next year?

A:
Fall or spring are both good times to plant hollyhock seeds. If you plant your seeds in the fall you can expect to see them pop up next spring, although the summer blooms may or may not be as vigorous as they could be. Hollyhocks are biennials and they do best when they are allowed a first season to establish good roots. Because of this, many people also plant them in the spring (some varieties may still bloom this first year, although again, not as vigorously). Spring sowing allows them to "dig in" the first season so they can really produce a show during the second season. I live in a cooler climate and sow a new batch of seeds each spring to ensure continuous blooms each season.

If in doubt, plant some of your seeds in the fall, and save others to plant in the spring to find out what works best for your growing area. If Mother Nature plants her hollyhock seeds in August or September in your area that is probably your best bet, too.

http://ktknits.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Garden Gate: Previous Topic Hollyhock seeds, does anyone have? Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page