Molly
Visalia California
USA
694 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2005 :  6:26:55 PM  Show Profile
Wow Realme52, I LOVE that story!!

Cead Mile Failte,
Molly

"If I can stop one heart from breaking, I shall not live in vain. If I can ease one life the Aching or cool one pain, or help one fainting robin unto his nest again, I shall not live in vain" ~Emily Dickinson

**When life throws scraps your way ~ Make a Quilt!**

Sisterhood of the Traveling Art
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2005 :  8:35:35 PM  Show Profile
Realme52, A very powerful story...Your Great Aunt Eli was a strong spirit...I believe. Strange that you could not locate that apron...

The flowers flee from Autumn, but not you-
You are the fearless rose that grows amidst the freezing wind. Rumi
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2005 :  11:29:35 PM  Show Profile
wow..the Aunt Eli story gave me goosebumps...what an experience!!

Jenny in Utah
The best things in life arn't things!
Go to Top of Page

realme52
True Blue Farmgirl

106 Posts

Klara
Gatesville Texas
USA
106 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2005 :  1:01:17 PM  Show Profile
Thank you all for the feedback! I love your comments. I have not told this story to anyone in 20years. Thank you for letting me share it with you.

from this hour i ordain myself loss'd of limits and imaginary lines -Walt Whitman
Go to Top of Page

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2005 :  4:49:39 PM  Show Profile
I love all your apron stories, they are just so personal and special to each of you, thanks for sharing! Susan your pictures made me smile!
Realme52 I believe your Aunt came to tell you she was going away and that it was alright. Did you find comfort in the "visit"?

Here is another story that I hope will make you all smile. My Mom was 8 mths. pregnant with me when my Dad was sent to Iceland. No one in the family thought she should be alone so close to her due date so she went to live with her favorite sister and her family. There were 2 boys, 4 girls, my Mom and Aunt and one very crabby Uncle always yelling. After I came home from the hospital I must have gotten used to all the women taking care of me (in their aprons) and I would cry whenever someone approached me without an apron! Boy cousins wore aprons, big 6'6 Uncles...wore aprons, visiting neighbor men...wore aprons! When my very shy German Grandfather came to see me for the first time they say that he didn't even come into the house until he had put an apron on because he didn't want my first memory of him
to be a bad one! He turned out to be one of the dearest people to me I have ever known and if he hadn't put on the apron I might have never found that out! My Dad came back just before Christmas the next year (I had just turned 1) and he too had to wear the apron!
Thank goodness it didn't last any longer once I was walking and talking ,I guess I figured I could escape the "apron free" person!

We talked about my "lack of apron" phobia some years ago and we all came to the conclusion that as a baby I must have figured out that the apron people were the "good" people and the apronless (my yelling uncle) were the bad! Some things never change , hey girls?!!!

And in case you are wondering...you may now approach me apronless and I won't have a fit! So ladies.. we have to chalk this apron story up to the men in my family who loved me enough to " put on the apron" to keep the peace!

with a happy heart
Go to Top of Page

realme52
True Blue Farmgirl

106 Posts

Klara
Gatesville Texas
USA
106 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2005 :  5:15:10 PM  Show Profile
Bramble, that story is so heartwarming! I'm sitting here with a big smile on my face. How all these people must have loved you! You are truely blessed.
And yes, I found comfort in my aunt's "visit". It always seemed the most "natural" thing to me: she crossed the miles as soon as she could to (like you said) let me know it was all right.

from this hour i ordain myself loss'd of limits and imaginary lines -Walt Whitman
Go to Top of Page

sleepless reader
True Blue Farmgirl

1022 Posts

CA
USA
1022 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2005 :  11:31:47 PM  Show Profile
Bramble and Realme, wonderful stories! I just found my childhood "Christmas Apron" today while cleaning the tablecloth drawer. I think it will still fit my daughter by Christmas. If not...well, I'll be sewing! I made an outdoor chore apron for myself today. I have a great pattern for a full, covers from neck-to-knees apron. I made it, then turned up the bottom 1/3 and stiched it into a giant pocket. I decided to "subdivide the pocket, and now there are three big pockets on the front. I may make more and try to get a few of them into a friend's shop.
Sharon
Go to Top of Page

mollymae
True Blue Farmgirl

694 Posts

Molly
Visalia California
USA
694 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2005 :  07:15:18 AM  Show Profile
Bramble, I loved your story, that is so adorable!!!!

Cead Mile Failte,
Molly

"If I can stop one heart from breaking, I shall not live in vain. If I can ease one life the Aching or cool one pain, or help one fainting robin unto his nest again, I shall not live in vain" ~Emily Dickinson

**When life throws scraps your way ~ Make a Quilt!**

Sisterhood of the Traveling Art
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2005 :  08:20:01 AM  Show Profile
Isn't it amazing that if we had not shared our love for aprons, some of these stories would not have been told?

I love realme's story of her aunt. I really believe that we have that brief chance to say good-bye when our spirit flies.

Bramble, I also loved your story, because it speaks of the very real way children have of sifting the wheat from the chaff!

Meadowlark - your story is so full of the love your husband has for you, and it gently shows.

Thank you all so much for sharing and I hope that MJF uses some of these stories in her apron book or mag issue. They are wonderful.

jpbluesky

Heartland girl

Edited by - jpbluesky on Jul 30 2005 08:21:13 AM
Go to Top of Page

Coffee and a Muffin
Farmgirl in Training

38 Posts

Kim
GA
USA
38 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2005 :  9:05:57 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by TheSoapMaven

Here's a picture of my past and present favorite aprons! I have some lovely vintage aprons that were mine that my granny made me...even one my great granny made me. My girls all have aprons made for them by me or their grandmas. I NEED the full coverage kind! Messy, messy cook!

Blessings & Bliss!.· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´ -:¦:-~Susan~
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´*
Wife, Mother, Natural Woman, Savonnière, Writer, Baker, Gardener.
Wife to Jerry for 27+ years
Mom to Zach, Gesikah, Nathan, Hannah, Rachel and Benjamin
Yetta to Sam

Proprietress of Dahlem's Soapworks
http://www.thesoapmaven.com

"It's no bad thing to celebrate a simple life" ~ Bilbo Baggins

Oh, Susan! I just now saw these pics of you as a child! How utterly adorable!!!
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Nov 25 2005 :  09:24:27 AM  Show Profile
i especially love my homespun check aprons from the 1800's .. but i also have some wonderful red/white ones that are quite olde and charming too. these are more 'woven' than like the later printed ones. i have lots and lots of 'printed feedsack aprons' too .. but have slowly and surely released those to friends and my treasure seekers.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Describe your favorite APRON!! Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page