734 Posts

Shirley
Olympia Wa
USA
734 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2005 :  12:51:16 AM  Show Profile
Hi,
I was wondering if anyone has a really good yuumy herb vinegar recipes
Couple days ago I took some white wine vinegar and put a bunch of garlic cloves ,a sprig fresh basil, and a little bit of fresh ginger rootin a tall bottle to age.
Tonight I was fixing a couple cukes from the garden, with some mayo and vinegar to put the cukes in, so that vinegar was sitting right there ,so I used a little of that, WOW the cucumber s were so good
I love garlic in anything so I always use alot.
Any other ideas out there
shirley in oly

Julia
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Julia
Shelton WA
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2005 :  09:18:55 AM  Show Profile
HI SHirley! I love making herb vinegars. My favorite is raspberry and chive blossom. I Usually take whatever herb/herbs I want and put them in a mason jar, warm the vinegar slightly,( I like rice vinegar as it is milder), pour the vinegar over the herbs cover the jar,(don't use metal lids), and let it steep in the sun a day or two till I get the flavor I want. I have read that you shouldn't keep fresh garlic in the vinegar unless you keep the vinegar in the fridge. Have fun !Let me know what combinations you come up with.

"...the setting sun is like going into the very presence of God." Elizabeth Von Arnim
Go to Top of Page

Shirley
True Blue Farmgirl

734 Posts

Shirley
Olympia Wa
USA
734 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2005 :  11:23:46 AM  Show Profile
WOW, I didnt know about the garlic in vinegar. I wonder what the reason would be. I thought vinegar preserved everything. LOL
guessI will look on the net and see if I can find out why.
Thanks Julia
shirley in oly ,was
Go to Top of Page

sqrl
True Blue Farmgirl

605 Posts

Melissa
Northern California
USA
605 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2005 :  2:38:27 PM  Show Profile
I have a really great vinegarette. It balsamic vinegar with dates, olive oil, a little salt, organo and a little fresh crushed garlicb (this is all off the top of my head so I can get the recipe when I get home if your interested). You let it sit for at least a day or more you can put it in the frig if your worried and then it's ready to use. The vinegar carmalizes the dates and you this amazing dressing, you can use it for more then just salads. About the garlic thing I believe it's the fear of botulism. I've never heard of it being in vinegar, but I've definitely been warned about it in making garlic oil and other jarring recipes with garlic. It really doesn't take very long to make favored vinegars and it doesn't hurt them to go in the frig, so you could put it in the frig just to be safe.

Blessed Be
www.sqrlbee.com www.sisterhood.sqrlbee.com

Go to Top of Page

prairiemaid
True Blue Farmgirl

200 Posts

Margret

Canada
200 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2005 :  07:49:30 AM  Show Profile
I've always wondered what you use herbed vinegar for. So besides as a salad/veggie dressing whatelse do you use it for?

editted to add: Wow! just noticed this is my 100th post!

Edited by - prairiemaid on Sep 21 2005 07:50:59 AM
Go to Top of Page

sqrl
True Blue Farmgirl

605 Posts

Melissa
Northern California
USA
605 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2005 :  08:11:54 AM  Show Profile
Oh My! you can use it for all kinds of stuff. But I'm not talking white vinegar here, I only use apple cider vinegar and balsamic but you can red or white wine vinegars and I'm sure there are others that I'm not thinking of. White vinegar is not good for you. Anyway I use balsamic vingar to marinate veggie before roasting or grilling. You can do the same, when I was a personnal cook for a family in LA, I used to do this with chicken breast all the time. Steam some greens add some toasted pine nuts and some vinegar, a little olive oil and you got something real good.

Blessed Be
www.sqrlbee.com www.sisterhood.sqrlbee.com

Go to Top of Page

quilt8305
True Blue Farmgirl

409 Posts

Mary
Spokane WA
USA
409 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2005 :  09:43:34 AM  Show Profile
I used to have a good recipe for mint vinegar. It went something like this: a couple cups of cider vinegar, maybe a teaspoon or two of sugar, heat in saucepan until sugar is thoroughly dissolved, pour into a bottle or jar with one or two sprigs of washed mint. Cover and let it steep for a week or two - delicious.

Mary

The great use of life is to spend it for something that will outlast it. Wm. James
Go to Top of Page

Julia
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Julia
Shelton WA
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2005 :  09:51:30 AM  Show Profile
Oops! Melissa is right the garlic thing is in oil, not vinegar. Thanks for jogging what memory I have left!
I am going to try the balsmic and date vinegar. Sounds absolutely yummy!

"...the setting sun is like going into the very presence of God." Elizabeth Von Arnim
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Nov 25 2005 :  09:30:49 AM  Show Profile
i love trying all kinds of herbs and spices in both vinegar and oil. don't think i've ever been disappointed with any concoction i came up with! frannie
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic HERB VINEGARS Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page