True Blue Farmgirl

158 Posts

Michelle
Many Louisiana
USA
158 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2007 :  5:04:43 PM  Show Profile
Hi,
I must comment on this one. I live in a mobile home....... I call it a manufactured home because it is not technically mobile ( no wheels), and that is what it said on my loan. Anyway, it is about 2560 square feet-- 32x80-- if I did my math right. I keep my home nice and we paid a pretty penny for it to boot. We are by no means poor and right now this works well for us. I have had dumb dumbs walk in here and say " I can't hardly tell this is a trailer house", it ticks me off and sounds snotty to boot. We could live in a "house" if we wanted but this is what we want and where we are happy. But there are dummies out there who make idiotic comments and my best advice is to ignore them. I know a family who just built a home and she can't afford to go to wal-mart and buy a t-shirt. Now that is sad. I think where you live is nobody's business. I am at the point now where I just dare someone to make a stupid comment to me about my home because I will shoot one right back. There was one time I could have said something and didn't:The same person who can't afford a shirt at wal-mart told me one time " all trailers are crap". You see..... she is trashy and has no upbringing. I just tell myself that and go on with it. I am proud for people to come over here. My home is big,safe, and to boot it is full of love. I think thats all that matters. --------------- I am now stepping off my soap box ;0)
And yes................ Susan has taught me a thing or two about allowing people to hurt my feelings. My kids, husband, and parents can though very easily. I am very sensitive unfortunately.

Go to Top of Page

paradiseplantation
True Blue Farmgirl

1277 Posts

julie
social springs community Louisiana
USA
1277 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2007 :  08:42:01 AM  Show Profile
I guarantee the people that say things like this have never hurt for money. We have, and I know what it feels like. Patsy, You just hold your head up. It's women like you who have my undying admiration. My neighbor across the street lost her job, and consequently, most of her material possessions, including her 'trailer' home. She just smiled, cleaned out the goat dairy, and turned it into living space. No running water, no facilities, no electricity. And I've never seen anyone who was more appreciative or smiled bigger when it came to her home. (Actually, it really does look cute in there, and I'm betting it's not much more that 300 square feet!) Don't you worry about what others think. You've got us and you've got God on your side -- so you've already got more than they do!
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2007 :  08:55:38 AM  Show Profile
Last night, on our local news, there was a sad story regarding a tri-state mobile home park, in Harrison, Ohio. It's a fairly rural area, and absolutely gorgeous, by the Whitewater river. Apparently, this mobile home park has been on a boiled water warning since OCTOBER. I'm including the video, because the man speaking, "Charles" talks about EXACTLY what we're talking about in this thread. Please watch it--aside from Patsy's comments regarding how folks make her feel, I found his comment very poignant.

http://www.local12.com/mediacenter/local.aspx?videoId=18979

"She was built like a watch, a study in balance ... with a neck and head so refined, like a drawing by DaVinci"...
NY Newsday sportswriter Bill Nack describing filly, Ruffian.
Go to Top of Page

Michelle Marie
True Blue Farmgirl

158 Posts

Michelle
Many Louisiana
USA
158 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2007 :  09:20:17 AM  Show Profile
Thats horrible! I am glad I have my own land. We used to live in a trailer park when we first got married. My parents managed it, it was a nice place though. It even had a pool and there were rules strictly enforced. Thats really sad that those families are in that situation. You know, people that are trying to do the best they can for their families shouldn't be mistreated because they are living within their means. I will never understand it. I know as a mother that just not being able to give your kids a bath would be an awful feeling. Its really sad, I felt sorry for that man too.
Go to Top of Page

Tracey
True Blue Farmgirl

766 Posts

Tracey
State of Confusion
USA
766 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2007 :  10:19:23 AM  Show Profile
I've always thought that term applied to a certain type of person, more than a person who lives in a trailer. The type of person where the father is drinking, beating his wife; the wife is always pregnant and screaming at the kids; the kids are wild, out of control and shoplifting cigarettes at the corner store... And yes, often times these folks are low income and end up in single wide, low end trailer parks. I guess in my mind it's synonymous with white trash, except that obviously trailer trash would include other races... (sorry, just my poor attempt at humor.)

Anyway, I wouldn't take it too personally. Easier said that done, of course, but something we all need to learn to do.

Please Vote For Me!
http://www.blogforayear.com/profiles/desperate-horsewife

http://carpentercreek.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2007 :  06:08:47 AM  Show Profile
Interesting topic. I don't really have strong associations with the phrase "trailer trash", maybe because there are not a lot of trailer parks around here where I grew up. Zoning laws in my county prohibit them. But I get a lot of the same attitude from people because I live in the city, not the suburbs (where all the middle class people live). I hear plenty about "ghetto trash". My first impressions of trailers (visiting friends) is that they seemed kind of unnatural and flimsy, even though the decor and housekeeping are no different than they would be in a house. But now that I'm trying to swing a way to live in the country and I don't have a lot of income, a trailer or "manufactured home" is seeming like a good way to start out. Even the "not quite a real house" aspect has it's appeal. The manufactured home seems a little less rooted in past problems (think moldy damp old basements and 100 year old wiring) and a little more independent (like a tree house or a tent). Interesting how the associations can change...
Go to Top of Page

Kathie
True Blue Farmgirl

2436 Posts

Kathie
Thonotosassa Florida
USA
2436 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2007 :  06:32:01 AM  Show Profile
This is pretty awful..
It's notjust the fact that people living in a Mobile Home get looked at or thought of differntly in our society..
They are treated differently too.. & not just by their neighbors.. or the guy down the road.. or the lady at the store.. The Government Officials.. the people that are supposed to be there protecting us to see that were are treated fairly.. & that are Children are living in a healthy invironment.. & are safe.. & have the same opportunities to drink clean water & take a bath at nite after they've played in their yard during the day..
Every one needs to watch the video that Jonni sent..
If this were happening in an Affluent Residential Community.. or an Appartment Community.. or even in a regualr neighbor hood with single dwellings.. just block or frame houses.. OF Govenment Housing!!
THIS Situation would not have gone on past the week.. & these people have been dealing with this water issue since LAST October?? Why? Because they live in a Mobile Home Park? Because it's privately owned? Because it's a well? The owned or the park has already dished out over $12 thousand dollrs the reporter said.. Not sure what other details are missing.. But why are these people still having to boil their water?
WHAT LITTLE WATER DOES DRIBBLE FROM THEIR FAUCETS!!!
Whatch the video..
If these people weren't living in mobile Homes.. this wouldn't be happening to them i'd bet..
So many things wrong with this..
I mean I can write a letter.. & call ,
& ask what the hell is going on..
I am SOOOOooo ok with this..
Won't they be so uneasy knowing that people in Florida have seen what's happening there?? But those of you that live closer really need to get a bit involved too.. Make some phone calls & write some letters..
These people need help..
Things need to change in how people are treated just because of where they live..

In a World Where you Can Be Anything, Be Yourself..
Go to Top of Page

Carol Sue
True Blue Farmgirl

4033 Posts

Carol Sue
Washingtonian
USA
4033 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2007 :  6:25:07 PM  Show Profile
I think my greatest fear is that they would shut down this older park that we live in, where in the world would we go. We own our older mobile and have done things bit by bit, dd and her hubby lives here. WE have had to deal with water issues cause ours is a well that they are on that you cannot drink the water, Taste like swamp water but they keep getting it tested and we see the reports but when the owners come up and you offer them a cup of water they won't drink it. They had the opportunity more than once to hook up to city water, instead they spend 10's of thousands on a well that is having problems. WE have gone 24 without wateer more than once here. Frustrating but this is my home.
So I just keep praying and make it my home, yard and all.
Carol Sue

Enjoying life.
Go to Top of Page

happymama58
True Blue Farmgirl

1210 Posts

Patti
Missouri
USA
1210 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2007 :  8:21:03 PM  Show Profile
We lived in a trailer for almost 8 months while waiting for on-base housing after moving to a new base. My trailer had more room and more storage than any apartment we could find, and the price was much more reasonable. The trailer park it was in had about 50 trailers; dh & I took a walk every evening after supper and the people there were friendly (but not nosy or intrusive), their yards were very well kept up, etc. I would not want to live in a trailer here, but that's because of the bad weather issue (severe storms in Spring and early Summer), but that's the only reason.

I've learned 2 things lately about people who look down their noses at other people:

1. They feel a need to tear down other people in order to feel better about themselves. You know them, the "Well, I would never . . . (live in a trailer, let my kids dress like that, etc.)"

2. They don't have the sense to see that just as they think they are so much "better" than someone else, there are tons of people looking down on them, talking about them behind their back and being critical

So I'm working very hard on worrying only about what God thinks about my actions & my way of life. It's easier said than done sometimes, but that's my aim.

I'll get off my soapbox now . Honestly, don't let what people say about your home bother you. From what I've read, you live in an honorable way and don't need to give those types of people the time of day. You know what's important!

Some people search for happiness; others create it.

Please visit me at www.marykay.com/pmiinch
Go to Top of Page

renren
True Blue Farmgirl

133 Posts

Allison
Nevada
USA
133 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2007 :  11:24:18 AM  Show Profile  Send renren a Yahoo! Message
I live in a double wide I call home. A house and a trailer still have 4 walls, roof, and floor. the nice thing about mine is its paid for and no house payments. Have a great day and nice topic to post. Allison

To be like other farm girls and become there friends.
www.purpleglasslover.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Across the Fence: Previous Topic Trailer trash Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page