Page: of 2

Patsy
True Blue Farmgirl

592 Posts

Illinois
USA
592 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2007 :  09:00:04 AM  Show Profile
In the last two days, I have heard two people refer to "trailer trash". One was in a restaurant and the other was on television.

Now I live in a trailer. It is old but it is dry, tastefully decorated and clean. My lawn is mowed and bushes trimmed. I feed the birds, have vegetables growing in containers and I fly the flag. Am I trailer trash? I suppose so.

I can't afford designer clothes and some are old from thrift shops but they are mended and clean. I wear my walmart shoes until they are worn out and my car is ten years old.

Why is it that when a rude comment is made about black people, gays, latinos, etc. that a big roar is heard? And I agree that a roar should go up. But when someone says something rude about not so financially well off folks, nothing is said and it is even laughed about.

I found myself disabled after being in the workforce for 36 years. I can afford what I can afford and if I can't afford it, I don't buy it.

Thanks for letting me vent. It just hurt my feelings.

May God bless those who love the soil,

Patsy

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2007 :  09:11:57 AM  Show Profile
I agree. And..I have lived in trailers too..alot more than once.

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

sewgirlie
True Blue Farmgirl

1894 Posts

Sheryl-lyn
Calverton NY
USA
1894 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2007 :  09:23:48 AM  Show Profile
I lived in a trailer when I was a young married woman myself. Mine was not so nice, but it was what we had at the time. We kept it clean and decorated nicely and we had an awesome garden there. It was my first taste of country living actually and I have been on the path ever since. Don't worry about what people say. They are not talking about you or me, they are talking about what they see in the movies and on tv shows that make fun of people in trailers.
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9364 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9364 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2007 :  09:51:29 AM  Show Profile
Seems as long as it is said on tv or movies anything goes. Rudeness goes on a lot in our society these days under the guise of free speech. I don't live in a trailer and never have but I don't see any difference between that and a house. A home is what you make it whether a house, trailer or tent. Just my 2 cents.

"The earth is the Lord's and the fullness thereof and all that dwell therein."

www.torismimi.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Past Blessings
True Blue Farmgirl

1083 Posts

Brenda
Orchard Prairie WA
USA
1083 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2007 :  09:51:47 AM  Show Profile
I think people use that term trying to be light hearted but don't think about the fact that they are hurting someone. I often refer to my self as "poor white trash" in joking. The reason? I have the simple tastes of what people often refer to as trailer trash or white trash. I like mac & cheese. I like hot dogs. I even like cheese whiz on ritz crackers. Hanging out with friends playing cards or even baseball is grand. I like jello. I don't wear designer clothes and find it silly that others need to. So for me I have embraced. No, I don't live in a trailer, but I don't think less of those who do . . . my inlaws do and so what! It is what is in the heart that counts and for the most part the people that live in trailers are the most real, genuine people I have found. So you should hold you head high and know that being called trailer trash can be a good thing. Some people probably are envious of the simple life that you have. There will always be someone ready to hurt you feelings, no matter what "status" of life you reach. People make fun of others for living in "McMansions" or for "keeping up with the Jones" or whatever. It is just so silly. Embrace who you are, trailer and all. As long as you don't burp the alphabet or site "Grandma Got Ran Over by A Reindeer" as being your favorite Christmas hymn, most people won't consider you trailer trash. I think more than anything we need to not worry about titles and not take ourselves to seriously. Hugs and blessings!

Brenda

Past Blessings . . . Celebrating Life as it used to be . . . when people loved God, loved their families and loved their country.
Go to Top of Page

DeepsouthMamma
True Blue Farmgirl

1454 Posts

Autumn
Southwest Louisiana
USA
1454 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2007 :  11:17:40 AM  Show Profile
I agree-embracing who we are-within reason is healthy and much more real.
Rudeness is never acceptable- but the very thing we hate, we do, innocently.
Have you ever heard folks talk about-jokingly - having an "Alzheirmer's flare up" or being "bi-polar"
or "dyslexic"- all just kidding but still it has the same ability to hurt.
We all need to guard our words and be kind but also recognize that we are what we are and none of us are superior to another in Gods site.
Ro 3:23 For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God;
By the way- my daughter is dyslexic, my husband bi-polar, and my mother in law died from Alzheimers.Our family is very open about these things and try to show that we are not ashamed that God has made us such.
I'm sorry you felt hurt- but just smile and let 'em know there's not another just like you.
God Bless!
Autumn

Isaiah 40:31
But they that wait upon the LORD shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint.

Edited by - DeepsouthMamma on Jul 21 2007 11:19:58 AM
Go to Top of Page

Carolinagirl
True Blue Farmgirl

486 Posts

Kim
Rutherfordton NC
USA
486 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2007 :  11:39:13 AM  Show Profile
Along the same lines... I am from the South. I HATE going to Pigeon Forge. Why? Because every other sign for a show (or whatever) shows a toothless bald man wearing overalls and playing a jug, or some silly looking girl wearing Daisy Duke shorts and batting her eyes. I am amazed at how people in the South wonder why we are perceived as such, when places like Pigeon Forge portray Southerners as stupid, backwards, dirty, low class... I refuse to see any of those shows, and I wish they would shut down. But still, people from other places love to come and make fun of the dumb Southerners and their crazy antics. *s*

Kim in NC
Go to Top of Page

janetinva123
True Blue Farmgirl

363 Posts

Janet
newport news va
USA
363 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2007 :  1:35:40 PM  Show Profile
I have lived in a trailor and would mind having one now. Lots of people are narrow minded and don't care who they hurt by thier words. What you live in does not define who you are just as a job is not who you are. Most people don't understand that. Don't let them get to you.

I also live on disability and buy my clothes from the thrift store or make them myself. I sell crafts and my embroidery that the Department of Rehabilitation help me to set up.

Jc
http://beloved-creations.blogspot.com
http://beloved-creations.com

Edited by - janetinva123 on Jul 21 2007 1:37:06 PM
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2007 :  1:37:39 PM  Show Profile
Patsy -- I'm so sorry that you got your feelings hurt. People can be so rude and mean. In this day of, so called, acceptance of everyone it sure seems hard to find that acceptance at times. We live in a trailer, or manufactured home, as we call them out here. It's a very nice place and I think of it as my home. But you'd be surprised by the number of people who wrinkle their noses at the thought! I jokingly call myself "trailer trash" because that's what I live in -- although we're not trashy -- but I would never say it about anyone else. In fact, we're in the process of trying to buy one of our own because that's what we can afford in the area we live in.

Just look at those people for what they are -- very small minded. I'd rather live in something that I can afford than be tied to some big mansion with the big mortage payments. We love ya!

Visit my Etsy shop at http://www.therusticcottage.net

http://therusticcottage.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

a rose
True Blue Farmgirl

443 Posts

Linda
Waterford NY
USA
443 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2007 :  2:55:05 PM  Show Profile
I live in a mobile home/trailer and I know what you mean about being labled. Our home wasn't cheap by far and we keep the land we live on well groomed but I too hear the phrase trailer trash many times and it does hurt. MY brother lives in one too and he is so embarrased by it that he won't let his friends know where he lives. Very sad!! I say a house is a house/trailer and it becomes a home with love. Be proud of what you have and keep in mind it doesn't matter to the Man upstairs. My heart goes out to those who don't have shelter or a place to call home.

Remember me as a rose.
Go to Top of Page

Carol Sue
True Blue Farmgirl

4033 Posts

Carol Sue
Washingtonian
USA
4033 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2007 :  3:38:19 PM  Show Profile
Hey, I live in a trailer and it was trashed when we bought it. There was trash everywhere and we cleaned it up little by little. I can say this, I don't care what people think. This is what we could afford and we have a home that is paid for. It is a 1970 12 x 60 that needed very much some tlc. WE have worked on it little by little. We too are on disablilty. So we have salvaged from other places, 2 houses that were being demolished. Some day I will have my fir flooring in but for now, my floors are painted to seal the smell that was in here before.
Be proud of what you have, and enjoy the fact that you have a home. I understand the hurt from words but you have to realize that is their problem and not yours.
I personally am glad that you have a home and have given it your character and signature. What a great thing.
Keep your chin up.
Carol Sue

Enjoying the moments.
Go to Top of Page

JenniferJuniper
True Blue Farmgirl

359 Posts

Jennifer
New Hampshire
USA
359 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2007 :  4:08:35 PM  Show Profile
To those idiots who feel the need to feel superior by putting others down, a home is a home. Period. I grew up living in apartments in Chicago and wanted nothing else than to have windows on all 4 sides. When I was in junior high we moved to Texas, and my first home there was a trailer. I was thrilled to finally get all of those windows. But needless to say, the kids at school could only focus on the trailer part. I guess it's all in your perspective.

Further, think about all of those poor souls who survived Katrina who are *still* in FEMA trailers - more like RVs - 2 years later. I dare anyone would walk up to them and call them "trash."

Some days it can be hard, but try to remember Eleanor Roosevelt's motto, No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2007 :  4:25:32 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
That is so sad that people find those terms funny or clever. We all need to take a lesson from Thumper! "If you can't say something nice- don't say anything at all!" :) I know that was the rule growing up at my house. I don't think that it matters where you live- it is more how you live and act.

Good thing we have so many great farmgirl friends, right?

Alee
The amazing one handed typist! One hand for typing, one hand to hold Nora!
Go to Top of Page

Linda K. Miller
Farmgirl in Training

43 Posts

Linda
Dunnville Kentucky
USA
43 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2007 :  4:49:01 PM  Show Profile
Hey Patsy, I have a large still new travel trailer sitting in my yard that my husband and I were going to live in on the coast in California after we sold our home. Guess what happened?? We found Kentucky!!! Please do not let others determine your worth with their thoughtless words. We all need to watch what and how we say things, you never know who's ears those words will fall on. Mother always told me to be careful what you say because once those words leave your lips you can never get them back.

Justmama from Amish Kentucky
Go to Top of Page

mkmomus
True Blue Farmgirl

248 Posts

Merle
Greensboro NC
248 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2007 :  5:20:32 PM  Show Profile
I agree with everyone here. It seems most people today only care about things. I am very lucky that I work with 2 wonderful woman who are not like that at all. I am looking for a piece of land and hoping I can get a modular home in the next few years. Those big fancy houses may look like something from the outside, but you never know what goes on inside. I was never as happy as when we on our little house (and it was small with 4 kids). We moved into a big house in a nice neighborhood and everything feel apart (we are getting divorced). Now I am not saying it's because of the house, but there is a sort of attitude that went with it. We moved into this neighborhood for the school, and that part did work out well for 2 of the 4, but I really never fit in here. Now I am kind of stuck.
Kim, I moved to NC from NY and although I'll always love my home state, I wouldn't trade these Southerners for all the tea in China! My kids and I love it here. I have met some wonderful people here, and yes, I have met some jerks here just like everywhere else, but not a lot. I just love the south. Can't beat the weather and the geography is beautiful. Why, I am even a convert to sweet tea. On my last trip home(NY) I asked for a sweet tea at McDonalds. The lady in line next to me said: "Honey, you're not in the south anymore!" Turns out she was from NC too!
Patsy, don't let it get you down.I think Brenda might be right when she said some people might be envious. I think many people do live a phoney life and deep down they know it. I am not knocking people who live in big homes, but those that speak ill of someone else have some issues.
Merle
Go to Top of Page

Beemoosie
True Blue Farmgirl

2077 Posts

Bonnie
New York
USA
2077 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2007 :  05:12:50 AM  Show Profile
Patsy, I totally understand! I lived in a trailer in a park for 10 years. It didn't matter to people that at 22 I was widowed with two little ones, that I lived with my wonderful parents for about 6 months but wanted to be on our own. Looking at apartments I was overwhelmed by rent, and the fact that since I had a boy and a girl I would eventually need three bedrooms. And going to the laundry mat with two little ones...oh, I was in way over my head. I could however, afford a mobile home, even with the ridculous lot rent (they are NOT cheap living). Like you, I kept the lawn mowed and clean, flowers planted, bird feeders and even kept an eye on my elderly neighbors. The saddest thing is is that I first got a dose of the trailer trash attitude from the trailer park owners. And I'll always remember President Bill Clinton trying to get out of his trouble by calling one of his alleged girlfriends "trailer trash"!

People today in general terms seem to measure everyone up by where they live and what they have. We know better, and so does God!
XO
B

My soul magnifies the Lord, And my spirit rejoices in God my Savior. Luke 1:46,47
www.beequilting.blogspot.com
http://beemoosie-picture-diary.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

ArmyWifey
True Blue Farmgirl

712 Posts

Holly
Abilene KS
712 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2007 :  07:09:58 AM  Show Profile
I've lived in trailers before too and they were fine. My sister still technically does. Unfortunatly those few who do live trashy give everyone else a bad name! And there are a few out there aren't there? ;)

Still rudeness is wrong. We were looking at buying a "manufactured home" and it's just crzy what you have to do to get one financed! If it's on a steel frame then they figure you can still move it, if it's a "modular home" on a wood frame it's ok.??????? So many of todays are beautiful and big (sister's is 2300 sq ft)! Obviously the people who you overheard are ignorant.

Blessings,

Holly

As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord!
Go to Top of Page

Sweet Harvest Homestead
True Blue Farmgirl

279 Posts

Lindy
Stanfield NC
USA
279 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2007 :  6:28:14 PM  Show Profile
Kim,
I moved to Pigeon Forge when I was ten and I lived in a trailer!!!!
Ha! ha!
When I worked in town, people would come up to me and ask all kinds of crazy questions like, does your Daddy have a moonshine still? Do you have an outhouse? etc...... You are right. Even though it is all in fun, the image that say Hillbilly Village portrays leads folks to think that all southerners are like that.

About the trailer trash thing.... It is hurtful. Kids in school made fun of me because I lived in a trailer and I bought my clothes at K-mart. My brother and I were excited to live in a house on wheels. We couldn't understand why everyone did not think it was as neat as we did. Even now when I think about it, it hurts deep but then I just come back to reality and realize what a good life I had with my family and what a good life I have now and just forget about what they said.
Lindy

www.sweetharvesthomestead.typepad.com
Go to Top of Page

goneriding
True Blue Farmgirl

1599 Posts

Winona
Central Oregon
USA
1599 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2007 :  8:01:30 PM  Show Profile
Don't let it get you down. I live in a 5th wheel in an RV park and love it. The managers keep it uber quiet and the lawn mowed. I have two big trees in my yard. When I get home I'm going to plant some cactus (cuz of the watering requirements and I'm only home about twice a month) in a planter. I've had in the past big homes and it was a full time job keeping up with all the maintainance and now I just want to live as simply as I can (and cheap, er, inexpensive!).

Winona :-)

Don't sweat the small stuff...

http://goneridingagain.bravehost.com

Go to Top of Page

Miss Bee Haven
True Blue Farmgirl

4331 Posts

Janice
Louisville/Irvington Kentucky
USA
4331 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2007 :  06:45:38 AM  Show Profile  Send Miss Bee Haven a Yahoo! Message
There's a lot of that attitude in my neck of the woods, too, Patsy. My dh and I have a trailer of the same vintage as Carol Sue's on our property. Our original idea was to use it until the farmhouse is finished. And the biggest question I get from people is: "So your going to get rid of the trailer when the house is done, right?" Well, I love my trailer! So the answer is a resounding "NO, I'm NOT getting rid of it!" I have a friend who is appalled when I suggest that I will be living there full time starting this fall. She says "You can't be serious. "
If any of you farmgirls saw my trailer, you'd immediately know why it's staying where it is! LOL --I've planted and landscaped ALL AROUND it! We paid $2500.00 for a comfortable place to live. I'm grateful for it every day.

"If you think you've got it nailed down, then what's all that around it?" - 'Brother Dave' Gardner
Go to Top of Page

NotQuiteJuneCleaver
True Blue Farmgirl

222 Posts

Susan
Shreveport LA
USA
222 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2007 :  07:06:36 AM  Show Profile
Gosh...I hate to hear of anyone getting their feelings hurt like this. It really irks me. People, old and young alike, can be cruel. I too have lived in a trailer. Some days I miss it!!! I didnt have all the junk I have now...didnt have room! Anyway, can I just say something...one tiny thing. Do not give these thoughtless people permission to hurt your feelings. Ask MichelleMarie, this is my mantra! There are only 7 people on the face of the earth that can hurt my feelings, my husband and my six kids. Not even my own parents had permission to hurt my feelings. I know it is easier said than done. But people really do not hurt my feelings. I know it very well may be that I am full of myself!!! HAHA...but nonetheless...dont waste your energy and time worrying about what stupid people say. At the end of they day, you are happy and they are still stupid. You can fix ignorant, stupid is fairly permanent.

http://www.notquitejunecleaver.com
There is immeasurable value in what I do. I won't ever believe otherwise.
Go to Top of Page

NotQuiteJuneCleaver
True Blue Farmgirl

222 Posts

Susan
Shreveport LA
USA
222 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2007 :  07:09:09 AM  Show Profile
One more thing...trashy comes in all financial brackets. Some of the trashiest people I have ever known had much more money than sense.

http://www.notquitejunecleaver.com
There is immeasurable value in what I do. I won't ever believe otherwise.
Go to Top of Page

Carol Sue
True Blue Farmgirl

4033 Posts

Carol Sue
Washingtonian
USA
4033 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2007 :  09:24:43 AM  Show Profile
Oh Susan, I love it. "You can fix ignorant, stupid is fairly permanent." LOL
Good one and the same for your advice.

Enjoying the moments.
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2007 :  09:48:47 AM  Show Profile
It's funny this has come up--yesterday, dh and I were out on a drive, seeing how our county has changed (built up). I took him to Richwood, where we lived after I was born. We lived in a little trailer park for a few months there, and then moved our trailer to West Virginia for a year or so before moving back and buying a house. My mom always loved our trailer--I remember it had two ovens, one on top of another, and a range top, and a curved window around the breakfast nook. I really don't remember, in the 70's, such a anti-sentiment about trailers, but I do remember my father and mother very meticulously caring for our little property, and that he called the folks who didn't, across the way, "hill-jacks". I also remember not telling anyone in middle school that I had lived in a trailer park, because they were, at the time, making awful fun of a boy who lived in a trailer near the river. Must be why I blocked out 7th and 8th grade...Unfortunately, upon driving through yesterday, my memories of that little trailer park are much diminished--by poverty--in short, the poor park is very run down, and there were a lot of eyesores--but I believe that even the best neighborhoods can have the worst folks.

"She was built like a watch, a study in balance ... with a neck and head so refined, like a drawing by DaVinci"...
NY Newsday sportswriter Bill Nack describing filly, Ruffian.
Go to Top of Page

horse
True Blue Farmgirl

371 Posts

laura
pontotoc mississippi
USA
371 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2007 :  12:34:05 PM  Show Profile
I was raised in a trailer and got made fun of when I was growing up. I didn't have many friends to come over because we lived in a trailer. I'm from Mississippi, you wouldn't believe how people judge us here in Mississippi, they think we are all inbreeds, no teeth, and marry our cousins. Plus, they think we still hate black people. I was taught never to judge a book by its cover. but that doesn't make the hurt go away when people says or does rude things to you.
Laura
www.2lmzfarms.blogspot.com
www.homesteadblogger.com/twolmzfarms
Go to Top of Page

Bridge
True Blue Farmgirl

814 Posts

Bridgette
Southern Indiana
USA
814 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2007 :  3:51:30 PM  Show Profile
I live in a trailer, we can start our own little group of MJF Trailer gals!! Just kidding!!
I know the words hurt however they are just saying it to make themselves fell all high & mighty!!
I love my house and it helped me pay off all my debt, and now I can enjoy life!!

I just hold my head high and feel sorry that they have to badmouth to feel good!!

I keep my place that same as you all spoke of, nicely landscaped and clean. Nicer than many of houses on our streets.

Sometimes I have to chuckle, I have overheard folks say this that I know. Yes they live in a house. A house with a toilet in the front yard and trash bags piled the entire hight of the back porch, and a ratty sofa on the front porch. Now let's see...Who should be calling who trashy..... Actually as my mama would say: they are just ~~Nasty~~ and cleanliness is next to Godliness.

~~Bridge's Blog~~

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Across the Fence: Previous Topic Trailer trash Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page