PJJ
True Blue Farmgirl

95 Posts

Paula
Bristow OK
USA
95 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2005 :  10:39:39 PM  Show Profile  Send PJJ an AOL message
How 'bout the original Coppertone self-tanning lotion? It made your skin absolutely orange -- and ran if you sweat with it on.

I adored Bonne Bell, although I think it was a harsh cleanser, in retrospect. But it was "the thing" used a lot for the makeovers in Seventeen magazine. And hard to come by in a small town store.

Dippity-Do was necessary for trying to control curly hair, even if it didn't work.

What about foam rollers? If you didn't have curly hair (and sometimes even if you did), you spent most of Saturday in foam rollers -- or orange juice cans if your hair was long -- so you would look "beeutiful" on Saturday night, or Sunday for church.

Paula J.

Paula J., with Ty, Cara, Brody, Blue, and Fidget
Go to Top of Page

cecelia
True Blue Farmgirl

497 Posts

cecelia
new york
USA
497 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2005 :  4:52:07 PM  Show Profile
The best "stuff" I remember ever using was a body wash/shampoo which was actually made with real honey (this was way before the onslaught of body washes). I can't remember who made it (it may have been Bonnie Bell). It made my hair very soft, the scent didn't last (or else it would probably have attracted flies!).

Cecelia

ce's farm

"Curiosity is one of the forms of feminine bravery" Victor Hugo
Go to Top of Page

PlumCreekMama
True Blue Farmgirl

730 Posts

Heather
Iowa
USA
730 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2007 :  8:54:58 PM  Show Profile
My sloggers make awful noises when my feet get wet too, but what I really hate is the loss of traction. I wear them to do my chores, so I always get water in them and can't hardly walk without crushing my toes. Plus my feet have permanent dirt ground into my skin from where the holes are!

Does anyone remember One Step? It was a creme rinse my mom put in me and my sisters' hair after our baths to make it comb easier in the days before conditioner. I think Avon made it. I still miss the smell!
Go to Top of Page

Maryjane Lee
True Blue Farmgirl

2195 Posts

Maryjane
CA
USA
2195 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2007 :  10:31:48 PM  Show Profile
Oh, this is so much fun reading all this! Memories! Thanks Clare for the heads up on the website! I signed up to get a catalog!

Hugs,
Maryjane Lee

The Beehive Cottage~
est. 1971
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2007 :  06:06:49 AM  Show Profile
It was fun to read back through this thread of conversation. I still check Vermont Country Store for items. Right now I want another homespun tablecloth, but they have gotten so expensive! I will wait to buy it. The only place I have found them is in the Vermont Country Store catalaogue.

Anyway, in going through old boxes from my childhood last week-end, I came across my old hairnet. After I rolled my hair, I would then put on a large netted hairnet over it. I did this every night! How in the world did I sleep?

Psalm 51: 10-13
Go to Top of Page

The Handmaiden
True Blue Farmgirl

214 Posts

Kim
Shreveport Louisiana
USA
214 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2007 :  7:13:47 PM  Show Profile
My favorite part of this thread was recognizing some farmgirls names I've missed seeing jpbluesky, bramble, clare, meadowlark!

What a walk down memory lane...smiling all the way. I wore some of the mentioned fragrances, but my two favorites were Heaven Scent & Jungle Gardenia. My mother must have skipped the lesson on how much to wear, because everytime I went to my boyfriends house and came thru the back door, his father would yell from the den, "Kim's here! I can smell her!" At the time I thought it was a compliment. Now I'm mortified. I used dippity do on my bangs and then "taped" them down with some kind of pink hair tape. Can't remember the name. All I know was everything had to be STRAIGHT!! Bonne Bell anything was the bomb & Seventeen the bible. ALtho' it seems quite different today!
Loved platform shoes and BIG bell jeans with the 1" zippers!! Real hip-huggers! I never used the mentioned lipstick. I had two older sisters who wore Blistex - made you're lips look white. They also taught me to pinch my cheeks and bite my lips for color. I was 6 and they were 15 & 16.

well, thanks Clare for getting us on this fun roll. I've always wanted a nightgown from VTC. Anyone ever bought one?

"Faith shall finish all that Hope begins."

joan walsh anglund
Go to Top of Page

sewgirlie
True Blue Farmgirl

1894 Posts

Sheryl-lyn
Calverton NY
USA
1894 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2007 :  06:08:49 AM  Show Profile
I am going to Vermont in a few weeks and plan to make a stop at the store. I too, have always wanted a nightgown from there and may actually splurge on one. While it is a little pricey, it is such fun to wander the store and remember all the good old days. I can actually smell my nana when I go there and it makes me happy since I miss her so much still!
Go to Top of Page

Rosemary
True Blue Farmgirl

1825 Posts

Virginia
USA
1825 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2007 :  08:40:41 AM  Show Profile
Sheryl-lyn, if you've got your eye on the nightgown I'm thinking of (the long white cotton with the sweet little buttons and pin-tucking, about 60 bucks?)--I treated myself to that nightgown this year. Rather than sleep in it, I use it for late afternoons on the porch (we're real rural, so privacy's not an issue), after I've taken a good long shower, shampoo etc. to de-grunge myself after a day of outdoor chores. It's lovely to feel every little breeze (on a mostly breezeless day) while I sit out there with a tall glass of iced tea, smelling the lavender, listening to the birds and the faint bubbling of the water in the frog pond, trying to decide whether my current application of toenail polish will get through another week intact....Makes me feel young and pretty as well as deliciously cool. Enjoy your trip -- and BUY that nightgown!

Edited by - Rosemary on Jul 14 2007 08:41:17 AM
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Try This: Previous Topic Vermont Country Store Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page