Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 Our vehicles, present, past or future
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic Our vehicles, present, past or future Next Topic  

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2005 :  12:18:49 PM  Show Profile
Today is the occasion of my cars' "birthday" of sorts. The odometer turned to 100,000 miles today. My car is a 1995 Subaru Legacy, so it is actually 10.5 years old, but I thought I should celebrate its' faithful service... so I hand washed my car last night (prompted by getting pitch on it from parking under a tree), then on the way to work today I sang it Happy Birthday and thanked it for being so reliable and asking for many, many more years of faithful service and I will continue to take good care of her with regular maintenance.

For the future, or in my dreams, I would LOVE to have a mid-1950's Chevy or Ford pickup to putz around in going to yard sales or the garden center... I hold that dream out there still!

Tell us about your fav rig or car or transportation!!! Please share!

**** Love is the great work - though every heart is first an apprentice. - Hafiz
Set a high value on spontaneous kindness. - Samuel Johnson****

"Begin to weave and God will give the thread." - German Proverb

thehouseminder
True Blue Farmgirl

361 Posts

USA
361 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2005 :  12:39:48 PM  Show Profile
I have a 1992 Toyota Tercel with 154,500 miles on it. When I bought it, I was going back to earn my Master's Degree & getting a divorce so I knew I would be starving like a rat. I wanted something reliable, easy on gas, and a car that would last. Come to think of it, reliability, longevity, and frugality are qualities that my husband has too

My strategy has sort of backfired on me. It still runs perfectly except for using a little oil AND I have developed a silly emotional attachment to the thing! I think about how faithful it has been and all the things we have been through together. I can't stand the idea of selling her to someone and having them "mistreat" her! It is to the point where I worry (so far, needlessly) about taking it too far from civilization. Also, when I bought the car, I felt perfectly safe in it but in 13 years, so many people's driving habits have gotten out of hand AND so many are driving huge vehicles and can't even see me.

On the other hand, I always have a huge chuckle at the gas pump these days when I see someone filing up their Hummer or Suburban. My car still gets between 45 and 48 mpg and it only has a 10 gallon tank. So, while I can still fill up for under $20 and not go back to the station for 2 or 3 weeks, they just turn green while filling up their tanks.
Go to Top of Page

TheSoapMaven
True Blue Farmgirl

691 Posts

Susan
LA
USA
691 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2005 :  1:46:26 PM  Show Profile  Send TheSoapMaven a Yahoo! Message
I drive a 1996 Ford Excort Wagon proudly displaying my MaryJanesFarm bumpersticker. Paid cash for it 5 years ago. Plan on driving it as long as it allows.

My dream vehicle is a vintage VW bus. Painted to my liking.

Blessings & Bliss!.· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´ -:¦:-~Susan~
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´*
Wife, Mother, Natural Woman, Savonnière, Writer, Baker, Gardener.
Wife to Jerry for 27+ years
Mom to Zach, Gesikah, Nathan, Hannah, Rachel and Benjamin
Yetta to Sam

Proprietress of Dahlem's Soapworks
http://www.thesoapmaven.com

"It's no bad thing to celebrate a simple life" ~ Bilbo Baggins

Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2005 :  1:57:47 PM  Show Profile
I have 1993 Plymouth Voyager Van that has 173,000 miles on it. I also proudly display by MaryJanesFarm bumper sticker. It is paid for and I will drive it until the wheels fall off. I keep saying I'd like to have something smaller but then I drive by a yard sale, find a treasure, and am glad that I have something to haul it home it!

Kay - Living in Beautiful Washington State

North Clark County Farmgirls and
Sisterhood of the Traveling Art
Go to Top of Page

mollymae
True Blue Farmgirl

694 Posts

Molly
Visalia California
USA
694 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2005 :  2:05:03 PM  Show Profile
Right now I have a 1992 Geo Metro, it was given to us by some friends of ours, and it has a HUGE amount of miles on it, but the gas mileage is still fabulous, I hardly ever have to fill the darn thing up (of course I only putt around town in it, I rarely go anywhere). The car is ugly, rusty, but it still putts around :), so I've been "waiting" until we get our van fixed (1992 Ford Aerostar) to display my MJ bumper sticker, but what the heck, I have plenty of bumper stickers, I might as well proudly put it on my little car!

Cead Mile Failte,
Molly

"If I can stop one heart from breaking, I shall not live in vain. If I can ease one life the Aching or cool one pain, or help one fainting robin unto his nest again, I shall not live in vain" ~Emily Dickinson

**When life throws scraps your way ~ Make a Quilt!**

Go to Top of Page

Erin Raincrow
True Blue Farmgirl

65 Posts

Julie Erin
New Mexico
65 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2005 :  2:22:40 PM  Show Profile
I have a 1997 F-250 that Dh bought me the week before our son was born so it will be 8 in a few days.

Her name is Bess and she's the best thing I've driven. Pulls all day long just as hard and as far as I want to go and other thing else that I want to do is okay with her too.

She has 187,000 miles on her and I just replaced the clutch and had some other work done (AC fixed, leak on the transfer case seen about) and that's been it.

Plan to drive her until she's costing me 500.00 a month to run and hopefully that will be a while.

But once in while the odd thing happens,
Once in a while the dream comes true,
And the whole pattern of life is altered,
Once in a while the moon turns blue.
Auden
Go to Top of Page

atwell
True Blue Farmgirl

88 Posts

susan
Laporte IN
USA
88 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2005 :  2:22:52 PM  Show Profile  Send atwell a Yahoo! Message
Clare!! I too would someday love to have an old vintage truck to
putt around in.....Guess If I hold onto my "94 F-150 long enough it will be vintage someday....I remember the day I drove it home on my 30th birthday...I was soooo nervous...my first brand new vehicle...I had just accepted a new job in the D.C. area and needed a vehicle to get me out there and be reliable enough for everyday and the trips back home once in awhile.....so while I was finishing my summer
art classes at Penland my parents( really my mom) went out and hand picked my truck. She said she walked right up to the sales person and
looked him in the eye and gave em the " dont mess with me/ give your best deal/ I want etc, etc. etc " approach!!Way to go mom!!Even when I had cars I treated the back seat like the back of a truck!! I dont think I will ever own anything else..sure comes in handy here on the farm...not to mention moving recycled kitchen appliances around,hauling all of my landscaping stuff when I was doing that....Countless moves formyself and friends
the list goes on and on.My dad even tries once in a while to borrow it when he doesnt want to scratch his!!!!!! The only thing I wish it had was 4 wheel drive.....WE get tons of lake effect snow here during the winter..which seems to last 1/2 the year!!!!
susan

FatQuarterQuiltFarm
Long Arm Machine
Quilting ~and~
Fabric Flea Market
Go to Top of Page

ThymeForEweFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

705 Posts

Robin
An organic farm in the forest in Maine
USA
705 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2005 :  2:28:51 PM  Show Profile
Clare, do you stare at rusty old trucks and think they're beautiful? I want one soooooo badly. I want to take it to farmers market.

I drive Chevys. We have a 1997 Blazer and a 2005 F-150. We trade vehicles back and forth depending on when I need the truck.

Robin
Thyme For Ewe Farm
www.thymeforewe.com
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2005 :  2:36:57 PM  Show Profile
our pickup is an '87 ford truck..pretty cute with stepside and short bed..not very practical when you need to haul alot though. It is white and has more than it's fair share of rust.
I mostly drive a '98 Ford windstar mini van though. I love that I can take out the seats and haul stuff if I need to, and it works for us..has 120,000 miles on it now. We got it about 5 years ago and I will no doubt drive it until it isn't worth fixing anymore. So far it never has given us a minutes trouble except the transmission thing when we were on vacation.
My dream car?? A '70's jeep CJ5 like Mindy drove on Mork and Mindy. It would be forest green with a black roll bar. And I would want a black soft top for winter.

Jenny in Utah
The best things in life arn't things!
Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2005 :  2:47:01 PM  Show Profile
YES, Robin!! I stare at old trucks. I happened upon a truck graveyard of sorts on one of my meanderings about 30 miles from here... how I would love to fix one of those up... but it'd probably take the whole fleet from the graveyard to make one good working truck! haha! ($$$$$$$).... If only Dad had kept his, I'd be in like flynn... he still had his in the 70's... but back then they weren't cool. Just meant you were poor and couldn't afford a snazzy one.

**** Love is the great work - though every heart is first an apprentice. - Hafiz

Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2005 :  2:52:28 PM  Show Profile
My dream "old" car would be a "Woody" stationwagon. My favorite cars from the past are my parent's '57 Mercury stationwagon which was a pretty lavender color with black accents and had this upholstery that was a clear plastic with little gold stars, awesome! And my first car, an orangey red '66 Mustang Hardtop with 3 on the floor and bucket seats, farout!!!! I drive a '95 Dodge Ram pickup for farm duty, but DH won't let me put a MJ sticker on it. I drive a Ford Escape that gets good mileage. Would love to have a Ford Hybrid.

"Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I'll meet you there." Rumi, 13th century. http://www.xs4all.nl/~josvg/cits/sb/sb101.html
Go to Top of Page

mollymae
True Blue Farmgirl

694 Posts

Molly
Visalia California
USA
694 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2005 :  5:53:53 PM  Show Profile
My dream car is a 1970 red Volkswagen Karmaan Ghia....sigh...I drove one for four years in college!! It was my high school graduation present from my dad...it was so beautiful..but not practical in the CA heat...next time I get one though it will be a convertible!!

Cead Mile Failte,
Molly

"If I can stop one heart from breaking, I shall not live in vain. If I can ease one life the Aching or cool one pain, or help one fainting robin unto his nest again, I shall not live in vain" ~Emily Dickinson

**When life throws scraps your way ~ Make a Quilt!**

Go to Top of Page

Eileen
True Blue Farmgirl

1199 Posts

Eileen

USA
1199 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2005 :  6:47:04 PM  Show Profile
I have driven a 1995 Dodge Ram Pickup since 1996 when we bought it second hand. It has almost 200 thousand miles on it and we still love it. Recently we bought a 1995 Jeep grand cherokee eddie bauer version. It just turned over 150 thousand yesterday. It has the same engine as my dodge but gets much better gs milage due to it being smaller and lighter weight. We got it on consignment at a used car lot from the original owner who took really good care of it. I love driving it around.
We had a 1957 chevy station wagon while we were raising our kids and also a vw bettle 1969 that my hubby bought just before we got married. We then later got a 1972 vw bus and drove it for a long time, Traded it in on a vw eurovan but decided that was a mistake. We traded the eurovan for the dodge ram. We still also have the 69 vw but it needs work and we have a 1966 vw that hubby drove to work every day until last winter when he had a spin out accident and it now sits forlornly in the drive way waiting for the new back fender and muffler and other broken parts to be replaced. Poor baby, I feel so sorry for it. Don't miss the foggy windows though. We love driving it in the winter because we could drive circles around everyone that gets stuck going somewhere in the snow. We never got it stuck or had an accident in either of them until the black ice at 5 am this past winter. I am thankful hubby was not hurt, The telephone pole he hit saved him from going over a very steep embankment. .
I would love a Karmen ghia too. Rodney does not fit in them though but has driven one that belongs to his cousin. His legs were up under his arm pits in it but he still likes how they look.
Eileen

songbird; singing joy to the earth
Go to Top of Page

thehouseminder
True Blue Farmgirl

361 Posts

USA
361 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2005 :  11:30:05 AM  Show Profile
You all are so funny! If you are hankering for a rusted out pickup that still runs, go to Iowa. My youngest brother, Kevin, used to get some off road magazine that holds an ugly truck contest every year. Among the requirements for entry are: the truck must run, it must have a certain percentage of rust, and it has to have at least one part of it repaired in a unique, resourceful way. There are always more winners from Iowa than any other state.

Now, I'm not dishing on Iowa. I'm from Iowa and would live there now if I could but we Iowans are known for using "everything but the squeal" before throwing something out. The first time one of those magazine issues came out, Kevin was driving an Orange Jeep Wagoneer with several large rusted out holes which had been repaired by the previous owner with sheets of styrofoam and duct tape. I tried to get him to enter the contest but he didn't want to cause too much envy.

Lucinda

I've always wanted a Carmen Ghia too! Isn't that funny? I also greatly admire the BMW Isetta (a three wheeled car sold just after WWII)!
Go to Top of Page

Carol
Moderator/MaryJane's Design Diva

452 Posts

Carol
Moscow Idaho
USA
452 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2005 :  1:24:42 PM  Show Profile
Oh, do I have a photo for you girls! At our local Oakesdale (the home of our historic mill) all-school reunion the weekend before last, the girls came up with a plan to keep their guys interested while they visited and caught up through the years: they had a farm-truck show! We sent Erik to take photographs, and didn't some of the trucks even come complete with MaryJanesFarm "Wave if you're a farmgirl" bumper stickers!

Check it out:
http://www.maryjanesfarm.org/images/trucks.jpg

Carol

she laughed and laughed ...
Go to Top of Page

connio
True Blue Farmgirl

535 Posts

connie
springtown texas
USA
535 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2005 :  1:35:22 PM  Show Profile

Hey Farm Girls!

This is a topic close to my heart because I have been dealing with cars and an assortment of problems, issues, opportunties all of July. I wrote about the fact that my car, a 1996 Geo Tracker, broke down on July 2. I call this car/truck, Zippy, because she has multicolored diamonds flying across her sides. I bought it to use in community parades; it was often used to represent the library. My Ex-H had a red Geo convertible that we also used in many parades. Can you tell that I love parades (except circus parades because I think that the animals are abused.) When Zippy broke down, I decided not to fix her (yes she has a gender) at this point. She already had 170,000 miles, a cracked front window (from a minor accident during a Veteran's Day parade) and no back window. My dogs had torn up the seats, and I had spilled just about everything in that car---even had a liter of cola explode all over the ceiling one day!

Now I am driving a 1987 Volvo 240 station wagon that my brother gave me. He is an educational diagnostician but has a little side business buying and selling Volvos. He gave me this car and after about $700 worth of maintenance/repairs, she is doing just great. I have never felt safer; a police officer told me that the car even has rebar built into the sides. She is medium blue, but some day I hope to paint her pink just like Mary Jane did with her 1982 Mercedes. Have yet to name her--the Volvo-, but I did put 2 of the Mary Jane bumper stickers on her to welcome her to my home!!!!!

While I was in my thirties and early 40's, (I am 53 now.) I had a sports car phase and had 3 Mazda RX-7s. They were a lot of fun, but this is just not who I am any more.

There are plenty of rusted out trucks in the rural area where I live. I am dying to have one along with a horse or stock trailer.
This may sound silly, but since I live in a tornado alley, I worry about evacuating my pets during an emergency. If I had a stock trailer, I could just put the dogs in the trailer and off we would go! The 4 cats and cockatiels could go in the cab with me. What an adventure that would be!

Farm Girls, this is the end of my saga for now.

Connie

cozycottage
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2005 :  1:38:41 PM  Show Profile
Now, those are some handsome trucks! Enough to make a girl's heart flutter. Thanks, Carol!

I have longings for old trucks, too. I even did a photo essay a couple of years ago called Rusted Trucks, which took me out to the boonies and into small town carports taking photos of wonderful old, well-loved trucks. That included a few dogs chasing me, too!

Right outside of the small town of Medart, Florida, there is a whole line of Ford trucks, from 1910 or so all the way through 1950. Each time the land's owner bought a new truck, he parked the old one in the line. Boy, it is beautiful to see them lined up, some with broken windshields, the color of rust red, with the green weeds growing up the doors.

jpbluesky

Heartland girl
Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2005 :  2:07:52 PM  Show Profile
Carol and Erik -- trucks after my own heart--- be still!

Jeannie, I'd love to see some of those pics if you can share them here!

Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2005 :  2:22:29 PM  Show Profile
LOve, love old trucks, always take a double take at them... My heart goes pitterpat...Jp, I would love to see those pics, I'll probably swoon!

"Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I'll meet you there." Rumi, 13th century. http://www.xs4all.nl/~josvg/cits/sb/sb101.html
Go to Top of Page

DeborahJean
Farmgirl in Training

36 Posts

Deborah
Spokane WA
USA
36 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2005 :  5:39:52 PM  Show Profile
Back in my college days, I had a 1958 Carmen Ghia hardtop, my very first car. Unfortunately, it was an oil guzzler and I let it run dry... It was fun while it lasted!!

Deborah

Farmgirl wannabe
Go to Top of Page

Nicol
True Blue Farmgirl

200 Posts

Nicol

200 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2005 :  09:39:32 AM  Show Profile
I currently drive a 96 Ford F150 that guzzles gas horribly! I think it's time for a new to me vehicle. My husband drives a 99 F350 Superduty and between the 2 we spend a fortune on fuel. His is at least diesel so it gets much better gas mileage than mine. I am thinking of a diesel Volkswagon New Beetle. I know a guy that buys auction cars for people and is able to find really great deals. Really I would like a new butter yellow Beetle convertible but it is too expensive for me!
Go to Top of Page

verbina
True Blue Farmgirl

231 Posts

randi
n.j
USA
231 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2005 :  11:36:47 AM  Show Profile
hi everyone! i drive a 05 silverado chevy. but would really love the truck jeff and lassies mom had .remember??
Go to Top of Page

Fulminous
Farmgirl in Training

40 Posts

Deb
Maine
40 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2005 :  6:09:34 PM  Show Profile
I am still driving my first vehicle, let me introduce you:
Her name is Jane, she's a '94 4-cylinder 2WD Sonoma with a matching teal cap. Jane thinks she's a big truck, and I let her go along with it, no harm yet. She happens to be a bit of a hypocondriac as her check engine light has randomly come on for years (she's been to the doctor [my Dad] and practically had everything replaced) and now and she now has a permanent red e-brake light that stays on too! So far she's logged over 170,000 miles, 120,000 of them with me. This gal has been my home (living in the back of a pickup with a cap is quite lovely when thought out properly). And she has a great way of putting me into some story-worthy situations (she is indirectly connected to my fiance and I meeting). I know what you farmgals mean by loving your vehicle with your heart and soul. I hardly take Jane further than a 30 mile radius, though I know she can do it. I plan on retiring Jane out to a big grassy field when her days truly become numbered, but I am optimistic that she's got a few left in her.

Oh, and my other vehicle is a '05 Ranger, we need to have a 4WD vehicle for mud season, otherwise we'd never leave our house and I'd never of gotten to work!

*Note that my relationship with the new vehicle is only on a professional status, though reliable, it's just too new to have developed a personality!
Go to Top of Page

ThymeForEweFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

705 Posts

Robin
An organic farm in the forest in Maine
USA
705 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2005 :  04:29:05 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by verbina

hi everyone! i drive a 05 silverado chevy. but would really love the truck jeff and lassies mom had .remember??

Our '05 has 13,500 miles on it already. I dented it when it was three days old. It's Victory Red (bright!), four door, extended cab, full sized bed. You can't miss it. It's huge and bright. Still, people pull out in front of us all the time.

Robin
Thyme For Ewe Farm
www.thymeforewe.com
Go to Top of Page

Celticheart
True Blue Farmgirl

811 Posts

Marcia
WA
USA
811 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2005 :  11:24:45 AM  Show Profile
Now girls!(and guys)those aren't trucks. Those are pickups. Around here-my house that is-when we say truck we mean the 2000 Peterbilt parked out front. If you were to call a pickup a truck you would be corrected by my DH or 16 yr. old DS.

I drive a 2003 Chevy Impala and love it although the first day I had it I backed into my husband's pickup. Of course he was standing right there. I tried to tell him before we bought it that it was a little too high in the back for me to see over. Guess he believes me now.

We have our share of pickups and other assorted cars too. One Plymouth Ventura of some 1970's vintage that DH bought for $90(the towing bill). It does run and looks like crap. He claims it's storage for the 350 hp 327 chevy motor that's in it. Whatever! At least it's parked up back where nobody can see it. One 1978 Chevy shortbox pickup that drives like a tank and gets around 5 mpg. DS drives that and we don't worry about him going very far because he can't afford to fill it up...lol. One 1996 Chevy Silverado pickup that I made DH buy about 3 years ago because I refused to drive the 78 anymore when I had to take DS to feed the pigs or mow lawns. And one 1989 IROC Z28 Camaro that's oh so impractical and way too much fun to drive. We are car and pickup poor. I feel like a used car lot!

Marcia

"I suppose the pleasure of country life lies really in the eternally renewed evidence of the determination to live." Vita Sackville-West

Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Our vehicles, present, past or future Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page