Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 my apprenticeship on an organic herb farm
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic my apprenticeship on an organic herb farm Next Topic  

westernhorse51
True Blue Farmgirl

1681 Posts

michele
farmingdale n.j.
USA
1681 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2005 :  06:37:01 AM  Show Profile
Hello girls, Its been a few days since I've been on, been very busy like the rest of you. I have something I want to share. A few wks. ago I told you I was starting to work on an organic farm in my area, well , It didnt work out, seems they just wanted a "grunt", didnt want to ansswer any questions, not very friendly etc. so I left. I found a great organic herb farm and I am having the time of my life. Im learning so much, Im harvesting, we work together and she loves to answer my questions. She has sheep mostly for meat but asked me if I'd teach her to spin & weave. She teaches classes but doesnt charge me, so I get them also & now I can teach her something. Im so happy & its going so well. Im getting closer to having my sheep and herb farm which has been my dream all my 53 years. If you, like myself, arent able to actually have your farm YET, find a place to go and apprentice or just give your time, even just a little, it is the next best thing. Just make sure you have the right place and the only way to do that is to go and jump in, if it doesnt feel right, then it isn't right. You'll know right away. I am so happy and I wanted to share it with you. Michele

"she selects wool and flax and works with eager hands". Prov. 31:13

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2005 :  06:43:12 AM  Show Profile
High Five to you Michele!!!! So glad for you to have found a niche... keep us informed of all of your experiences!

****Gardener, Stitcher, Spiritual Explorer and Appreciator of all Things Natural****

"Begin to weave and God will give the thread." - German Proverb
Go to Top of Page

PJJ
True Blue Farmgirl

95 Posts

Paula
Bristow OK
USA
95 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2005 :  06:47:36 AM  Show Profile  Send PJJ an AOL message
Sounds wonderful, Michele! Please tell us more when you can.

Paula J.

Paula J., with Ty, Cara, Brody, Blue, and Fidget
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2005 :  6:20:27 PM  Show Profile
Wow...that is great! We will love hearing your adventures!! You go girl!!

Jenny in Utah
The best things in life arn't things!
Go to Top of Page

Farmer Macleigh
Farmgirl in Training

39 Posts

Tennessee
USA
39 Posts

Posted - Jun 26 2005 :  7:56:22 PM  Show Profile
Michele,

How delightful for you! I am pleased you have found an apprenticeship that both allows you to serve and teach. Please let us know how the work continues and what you are learning.

I have been contemplating finding an apprenticeship myself; your experiences only confirm the benefits of making that effort.

Blessings,
Macleigh

Hope sustains the farmer. -- Old Proverb
Go to Top of Page

Nicol
True Blue Farmgirl

200 Posts

Nicol

200 Posts

Posted - Jun 28 2005 :  09:51:17 AM  Show Profile
Michele:

That's great! That sounds like so much fun. I wish I had time for that. Somedays I don't even have time to breathe. I run my own company and that keeps me busy. And I have two kids. Keep us posted on the apprenticeship.
Go to Top of Page

valli
Farmgirl at Heart

6 Posts

Valarie
maryville Tennessee
USA
6 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2005 :  2:12:54 PM  Show Profile
Hey Michele,
This sounds just wonderful. You are a step closer to your dream.
Just keep dreamin.
Valli
Go to Top of Page

DeeHarp
Farmgirl in Training

39 Posts

Dee
Missouri
39 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2005 :  05:34:18 AM  Show Profile
Michele,
How wonderful! I grow alot of Herbs. I read, read, read all that I can about Herb gardening and the uses for cooking and health. I would love to apprentice at an Herb Farm! I don't know of any around here. I'm in Missouri.
I also have Nubian Dairy Goats that I try to use as much herbal remedies and preventive care on.
What a great experience for you!!!
Dee :-)
Go to Top of Page

knittingmomma
True Blue Farmgirl

106 Posts

Tonya
Vermont
106 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2005 :  06:35:03 AM  Show Profile
Michele,
Thank you so much for sharing.....
How inspiring!
Our family's goal is to farm.. we are working towards it by living in a small apartment over the last several years while my husband works and I learn to homestead here in suburbia! WE are now debt free! Now the hard part... do we apprentice on a farm (we need to find a farm that believes in us and is willing to let us stay in a camper/trailer/small cabin as we have five children... or do we find a way to buy a couple of acres and start a farm from scratch???

We so desire a home based, working in the soil lifestyle...

We keep working towards it and thank you for sharing!!
Warm wishes,
Tonya

Simple Living, Homestead Dreaming Mom of 5
http://www.naturalearthfarm.com
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic my apprenticeship on an organic herb farm Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page