Author Cleaning Up: Previous Topic Lavender in the dryer? Next Topic  

greyghost
True Blue Farmgirl

650 Posts

Lynn
Summerville Georgia
USA
650 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2007 :  05:46:13 AM  Show Profile  Click to see greyghost's MSN Messenger address
My pillows aren't smelling so fancy fresh anymore, so I was thinking what if I were to gather up some of the lavender from my yard, put it in an old stocking, and put a couple of pillows in my dryer for about 30 min on a really low temp setting. Think that would be ok? I don't want the lavender to catch fire (lol) - hence the low setting.

I'll let you know how it works. :) If it does, I was looking at my comforter next - you know how they aren't dirty, but they just don't have that really nice "clean" smell anymore?

Mumof3
True Blue Farmgirl

3890 Posts

Karin
Ellenwood GA
USA
3890 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2007 :  06:03:29 AM  Show Profile
Hey, Lynn! So happy to see you posting!! What about letting your pillows spend the day in the sun after their lavender tumble? You will usually find our pillows lined up on the deck railing once a month. Nothing like fresh air and sunshine to make them smell better!
Good luck and hope things are going well in your corner of GA!

Karin

Wherever you go, there you are.

Come visit me at:
www.madrekarin.etsy.com

www.madrekarin.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

greyghost
True Blue Farmgirl

650 Posts

Lynn
Summerville Georgia
USA
650 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2007 :  07:36:15 AM  Show Profile  Click to see greyghost's MSN Messenger address
Hi Karin!
It's been raining so much here that I can't sun-dry anything! Makes all the plants super-happy so I'm not complaining - but when it does get sunny again, I will definitely try that!
Go to Top of Page

queenofdreamsz4u
True Blue Farmgirl

3845 Posts

Stephanie Suzanne
Smoky Mountains Tennessee
USA
3845 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2007 :  07:55:33 AM  Show Profile
Hey there Lynn,

First time I've seen you post....I live about 25 miles from you...I'm in Valley Head, Alabama Would love to hear from you..Email me anytime!

You could throw your pillows in with the lavender on the "fluff" no heat cycle and it should infuse the aroma.

Peace, Stephanie
www.dreamkingdomdesigns.com
www.dreamkingdomdesigns.blogspot.com

"hold close your inner child and always listen to the gentle whispers" ~queenofdreamsz
Go to Top of Page

greyghost
True Blue Farmgirl

650 Posts

Lynn
Summerville Georgia
USA
650 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2007 :  12:50:53 PM  Show Profile  Click to see greyghost's MSN Messenger address
Hi Stephanie!

I know right where Valley Head is, real cute looking town on the "other side of the mountain". I drive thru it on my way to the Interstate sometimes, when I want to avoid Chattanooga rush hour.

I post from time to time - when I get busy w/work (I'm self-employed) i don't have time for anything fun, and then we're remodeling too so - that's why! But our house is coming down the home stretch and I'm back to feeling "homey" so I guess there's more to say. :)
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2007 :  5:18:12 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I think if you had the dryer on an ultra low heat setting for about 5 minutes and then switched to fluff it would be fine. That way the heat would get the lavendar to release it's scent and then the fluff cycle would really toss it around. Let us know how it works! I have a lot of dried lavendar and would love to do this if it works!

Alee
The amazing one handed typist! One hand for typing, one hand to hold Nora!
Go to Top of Page

Mumof3
True Blue Farmgirl

3890 Posts

Karin
Ellenwood GA
USA
3890 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2007 :  6:51:52 PM  Show Profile
Lynn- If you wouldn't mind, could you possibly send a bit of your rain down here? We have not had rain in ages. It sprinkled a bit today, but nothing of note. All of the plants in my garden look like little old ladies- bent over and wrinkled. ;)

Karin

Come visit me at:
www.madrekarin.etsy.com

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2007 :  8:02:05 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Karin-

Are you not allowed to water because of the drought?

Alee
The amazing one handed typist! One hand for typing, one hand to hold Nora!
Go to Top of Page

Mumof3
True Blue Farmgirl

3890 Posts

Karin
Ellenwood GA
USA
3890 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2007 :  04:58:14 AM  Show Profile
Alee- We are on an even-odd system here. I try to keep watering to once a week (because it's just so darn expensive to water all the time!) I sneak out water for the plants in containers, but the hydrangeas and other plants like that have to fend for themselves. Good news though- This morning I awoke to the sound of raindrops on the roof. It's a nice slow rain, so maybe it will give the plants a good drink!

Karin

Come visit me at:
www.madrekarin.etsy.com

Go to Top of Page

mima
True Blue Farmgirl

1573 Posts

1573 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2007 :  06:27:25 AM  Show Profile
How wonderful for some rain!!!!We are in a drought too here in CA. but know rules yet.... We've had alot of wild fires too!
Anyways.... Trader Joes actually makes little sacks of lavender to go in your dryer!!! They are just in little cloth bags! They last along time too!!! i totally think making your own would be awesome and cool! maybe you could start a little business! Seriously- the Traders Joes one are the neatest things and have got to be sooo simple to make!
Go to Top of Page

Annie S
True Blue Farmgirl

756 Posts

Annie
Custer S.D.
USA
756 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2007 :  11:33:32 AM  Show Profile
Lynn, sounds like a wonderful idea. Think I'll give it a try too. Wish we had some rain here too - luckily we have a well, so watering twice a day is no problem with us. But just wish for rain for the ranchers/farmers in the state - it's very bad here.

Peace and love.
Annie
Go to Top of Page

Huckelberrywine
True Blue Farmgirl

1607 Posts

Michelle
Rosalia
1607 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2007 :  3:46:46 PM  Show Profile
Hmm. I wonder how it would do to put a sprigs of fresh lavendar in a plastic bag, put the pillow in, and hang it on the clothesline all sealed up? The evaporation might help infuse the pillow with scent? My dryer just went toes up (yay?), so now I'm looking for clothesline ideas.

We make a difference.
Go to Top of Page

BotanicalBath
True Blue Farmgirl

1014 Posts

Elizabeth
Ohio
1014 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2007 :  4:23:29 PM  Show Profile
I have RL down pillows.... and I just toss them in the wash with oxyclean... and Hot/Hot water... then because it is feathers, I stick them in the dryer... and cook them, run it until they are hot and feel bone dry. You could make a sachet of lavender buds and stick them in your dryer with them, but you really wont get any scent out of it and on your pillows. They add fragrance and a carrier for the ones that they do sell. If you want them scented, either use dryer sheets, fabric softner (and they do make better stuff than you buy at the grocery store)

This place has some great stuff
http://www.goodhomestore.com/docs/0032.html

E-
BotanicalBath@peoplepc.com www.Botanical-Bath.com www.BotanicalBath.etsy.com http://botanicalbath.blogspot.com/

"I do my housework in the nude. It gives me an incentive to clean the mirrors as quickly as possible."
Go to Top of Page
  Cleaning Up: Previous Topic Lavender in the dryer? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page