Southwest Louisiana
USA
1454 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2007 :  10:46:35 AM  Show Profile
Jonni
Can you make a roux?
Autumn

Isaiah 40:31
But they that wait upon the LORD shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint.
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2007 :  10:57:05 AM  Show Profile
Sure can...in fact, aside from acadian cooking, it's a basis for a lot of south american sauces I make...start with equal flour and oil, blend until "golden" add chile's, etc...

"She was built like a watch, a study in balance ... with a neck and head so refined, like a drawing by DaVinci"...
NY Newsday sportswriter Bill Nack describing filly, Ruffian.
Go to Top of Page

DeepsouthMamma
True Blue Farmgirl

1454 Posts

Autumn
Southwest Louisiana
USA
1454 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2007 :  11:52:19 AM  Show Profile
Great start- only thing is we go a bit past golden- more like chocolate.
Then ya toss in the chopped onion when it's just right so it stops browning fast.

The gumbo itself is easy- but there's a couple of secrets- at least in our family.
Gotta start with whole chicken pieces- somehow the bone in it flavors the stock.
Boil until tender-falling off the bone easily.
Remove the chicken from the pot- and let it cool while you add the roux to the hot chicken stock.
Keep tasting it and stop adding roux if it tastes flour-y-
(You can add a bit of water if you do put too much roux. )
Here's the fun part- pan fry a pound of smoked sausage(I hear that may not be the same thing in your part of the country) Ours is cooked(by smoking) and in links about 12"long.
You slice it in rounds to fry in a blk skillet.

Once browned, stir it into the boiling roux & stock mixture- let continue to boil a few minutes.
Reduce the heat taste again and add seasonings(salt,pepper,Tony's or other spicy seasonings)
a few chopped green onion is added here if you like. Just slice 'em up in the gumbo.
- add boned chicken LAST. Once you add the chicken only boil for 5 min or so. Then turn off the heat and let sit on the stove.
We all agree here, that Gumbo is better the second day - so stick it in the fridge or do what we do. A little today and more tomorrow!!

Lots of folks like too add okra- if you do then fry it a bit with the sausage first. It cuts some of the slime that way.

But they that wait upon the LORD shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint.
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2007 :  1:00:29 PM  Show Profile
Yummo. Can't wait...this week's weather would have been perfect for a good gumbo. No humidity, and almost a tinge of fall in the air. Weird, but TOTALLY wonderful.

I'm cutting and printing this out as I type for my permanent file.

I get what you mean about the roux being more cocoa in color--I love to stir, stir, stir. Bone in chix...makes sense.
Yeah, smoked sausage is a bit different "up he-ah in the north" :)
Agreed, better the second day, and I only like my okra fried. That also takes care of the slime
Thank ya kindly, mam!!!!

"She was built like a watch, a study in balance ... with a neck and head so refined, like a drawing by DaVinci"...
Go to Top of Page

Nicie
True Blue Farmgirl

185 Posts

Denise
Lincoln NE
USA
185 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2007 :  1:54:41 PM  Show Profile
We are having BLT's for supper. My boss gave me fresh tomatoes. I can't wait.

Denise
Go to Top of Page

Michelle Marie
True Blue Farmgirl

158 Posts

Michelle
Many Louisiana
USA
158 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2007 :  2:51:06 PM  Show Profile
Someone gave us fresh okra so I am going to fry that and then I have some eggplant from my garden I need to cook . My girls like it when I dip it in egg, breadcrumbs, then fry in olive oil. Then they like me to put a dollop of marinara sauce on top and some provolone cheese. Eggplant parm, but they like it crispy and individual instead of like a casserole.
Now for the okra, I have never done it before fresh. My mom told me to slice it thick then put it in a baggie and pour some cornmeal into it. Shake it up and fry it in a little oil.
Does that sound right to any of you? Also, has anyone ever frozen eggplant?
This is the first year I have grown my own.
Go to Top of Page

mom2knk
True Blue Farmgirl

321 Posts

Blanche
So Cal
321 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2007 :  3:21:17 PM  Show Profile
Well I thought we would have something with chicken but when I read Denise's BLT post I thought....hmmmmmm that sounds better!! I have so many tomatoes so this will be a good use for them!
Go to Top of Page

GaiasRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2552 Posts

Tasha-Rose
St. Paul Minnesota
2552 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2007 :  3:45:25 PM  Show Profile
We are having wild amaranth au gratin, potato salad from our potatos and our eggs! YAY! and turkey burgers on the grill with basil and tomatos fromt he garden and some fresh motzarella. MM I can't wait. It's going to be late too as Rob is staying after work LATE to work on is '74 Impala. boys and cars...sheesh.

~*~Brightest Blessings~*~
Tasha-Rose

Blogs: http://gaiarose.wordpress.com
http://tasharose365.wordpress.com/
Homepage:
http://ForestFaeries.etsy.com
Birth is safe, interference is risky; TRUST BIRTH
Go to Top of Page

DeepsouthMamma
True Blue Farmgirl

1454 Posts

Autumn
Southwest Louisiana
USA
1454 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2007 :  3:58:22 PM  Show Profile
So let me know how the gumbo turns out!
Wish we had some o that gumbo weather down south!!!
It's pork roast with mashed pot and corn for us tonight. Also a fruit salad.
That's the best part!!!

Michelle*** okra instruc. from your mom are just right! I love it!!
Autumn

Go to Top of Page

Michelle Marie
True Blue Farmgirl

158 Posts

Michelle
Many Louisiana
USA
158 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2007 :  4:41:26 PM  Show Profile
The okra came out really good. So did the eggplant. We are trying to have a couple meatless meals a week and with this meal we didn't miss it at all.
Tomorrow is my Dad's b-day so I told him I would cook for him ANYTHING he wanted. He said "hamburgers on wheat buns and a carrot cake". So thats what I am doing. Kind of boring. Why are men obsessed with hamburgers?
I felt like that was just to simple for the okra...... I thought it would be battered. Very Very good, simple is always a good thing!
By the way, I made some orange cranberry muffins today and they were so good I think that will be our snack. They are like the muffins from Starbucks.
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2007 :  7:10:47 PM  Show Profile
We had beef enchiladas tonight, with a smoky adobo chile sauce (begun with a roux :)) Very yummy, and I've already loaded up on the tums!!!

Go to Top of Page

Ronna
True Blue Farmgirl

1891 Posts

Ronna
Fernley NV
USA
1891 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2007 :  11:18:42 PM  Show Profile
When Larry's at work in Alaska, at the head of the pipeline in Prudhoe Bay, it's cafeteria food. He said the food was much better when he first started working there 20 years or so back, but they don't buy the best quality anymore. I asked him years ago what he would cook if he had to for himself and he said a can of chili and a can of tamales. I'd forgotten about tamales in a can, been so many years back. Sounds awful to me, but then I make my own tamales once a year or so. Too big a job to make just a few. He'd probably just as soon have canned ones...if they even still sell them. Just no fun to cook for him. His mother told me not long after we married that he would eat just one or two things on the table and she never knew why. I asked him and he said he was taught to eat what was on his plate, so only put what he would eat on it! Cooking was not one of her better skills.
Ronna
Go to Top of Page

Michelle Marie
True Blue Farmgirl

158 Posts

Michelle
Many Louisiana
USA
158 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2007 :  08:54:52 AM  Show Profile
They sell the canned tamale's here in Louisiana. They are like wrapped in paper inside the can. I used them once in a casserole-- it was a long time ago but I did see them the other day at the store. We live near Zwolle Louisiana and they are famous for Zwolle Tamale's so its not hard to buy them fresh here whenever you want them. You can't beat them fresh but I am sure the canned ones would sound good if you had a craving and were having to eat things you weren't enjoying.
My husband is a very picky eater, he works on an offshore oil rig and sometimes all he eats out there is cereal.
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2007 :  08:58:07 AM  Show Profile
I remember my dad eating those--I think the brand he bought was called Derby Tamales (our Kroger still sells them, so SOMEONE likes them!!!)...that's sometimes what he and I ate when Mom wasn't home to cook for us I remember them having an almost solid cornbread like texture around the outside, and really greasy.

But, I sure ate them with daddy!

Go to Top of Page

paradiseplantation
True Blue Farmgirl

1277 Posts

julie
social springs community Louisiana
USA
1277 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2007 :  09:34:22 AM  Show Profile
Michelle - Our friend Gayle's mama makes those tamales in Zwolle. They are excellent. I'm not sure if she sells them outside of Zwolle, but my husband gets some everytime he goes through there on business. Many, LA?? My sister lives on Toledo Bend, and I'm only a little over an hour from there -- nice to know there's someone on this site close by!
Go to Top of Page

DeepsouthMamma
True Blue Farmgirl

1454 Posts

Autumn
Southwest Louisiana
USA
1454 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2007 :  11:51:44 AM  Show Profile
There's a couple of us luziana girls 'round here!!
Ya'll are makin' me hungry for tamales!
The canned ones really aren't bad- in a pinch. It's hard to find fresh ones that are consistently good.
Another luziana girl!
Autumn

Go to Top of Page

doglady
True Blue Farmgirl

435 Posts

Tina
Howard Ohio
USA
435 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2007 :  11:09:18 AM  Show Profile
Ok ladies, now you went and done it :) Whoever had the chicken crock pot with Old Bay seasoning (I think it was in the crock pot post)recipe is driving my taste buds crazy! I have my chicken and Old Bay seasoning in the crock pot cooking as we speak and is the smell ever driving me crazy. It smells sooooooooo good. Thank you. After tonights dinner, I think the leftovers, if there are any, will taste mighty fine in homemade chicken & noodles. I'm also getting a lot of things done while my dinner cooks. Thanks for the recipe!!

Tina

Later this evening ------ WOW! That's the best chicken I have had in a very long time The family loved it too. There's not much left over but I think I have enough juice and meat for Chicken and Noodles tomorrow. A great recipe and easy to fix.

Tina

The dogs own the house but the people pay the mortgage!
www.kennelcreations.com

Edited by - doglady on Jul 25 2007 5:11:55 PM
Go to Top of Page

kitchensqueen
True Blue Farmgirl

521 Posts

521 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2007 :  5:19:30 PM  Show Profile
Husband made wilted kale with bacon and mashed potatoes and poured me a glass of white wine. Now that's a dinner I can't complain about!

http://apartmentfarm.wordpress.com

http://shadetreestudios.etsy.com

New Rt 66 blog: http://historyinthemaking.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

mikesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3659 Posts

Sherri
Elma WA
USA
3659 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2007 :  5:48:09 PM  Show Profile
Wow, lucky girl. If my DH gets home in time for dinner tonight (it's already almost 6 and he's been gone since 4 am with a 2 hour commute home), we will have meatballs and sauce that I made in my freeze cooking binge today, with mashed potatoes, and green beans. Pure comfort food.
Go to Top of Page

mom2knk
True Blue Farmgirl

321 Posts

Blanche
So Cal
321 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2007 :  6:20:48 PM  Show Profile
I made a quick and easy beef stir fry with lots of veggies from the garden!
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2007 :  7:00:31 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I don't know what I am going to make- My kitchen is a mess right now with bath powder all over the place! LOL

Alee
The amazing one handed typist! One hand for typing, one hand to hold Nora!
Go to Top of Page

mikesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3659 Posts

Sherri
Elma WA
USA
3659 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2007 :  10:02:12 PM  Show Profile
Just don't get it mixed up with your flour and roll your fried chicken in it.
Go to Top of Page

ivmeer
True Blue Farmgirl

409 Posts

Amanda
Pawtucket RI
USA
409 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2007 :  09:07:10 AM  Show Profile
Last night: Butterflied rainbow trout (no, I didn't butterfly it myself), pan seared and served with lemon dill mayonnaise (mix mayo, lemon juice, dill, a couple of minced garlic cloves, and some salt and pepper), steamed sweet corn, steamed broccoli, and this really nice marble rye bread I picked up at the store.

Tonight: Boneless skinless chicken breasts with lemon caper sauce served on pasta (probably linguine), green beans.

Tomorrow: Pot roast with pot vegetables (potatoes, sweet potatoes, carrots, onions, garlic), sauteed zucchini, onion and mushroom mix
Go to Top of Page

mikesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3659 Posts

Sherri
Elma WA
USA
3659 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2007 :  10:00:14 AM  Show Profile
Bread and water (see "I'm freaking out" post in Across the Fence) Might as well have a sense of humor about the situation, right?
Go to Top of Page

Michelle Marie
True Blue Farmgirl

158 Posts

Michelle
Many Louisiana
USA
158 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2007 :  12:23:54 PM  Show Profile
Hi everyone.......... I came down with a urinary infection Monday and it has knocked me out! I have been in such pain. My Mom drove me to the doctor yesterday. I am missing my husband pretty bad right now! As for cooking here, my 14 year old has been a wonderful help. I physically just couldn't cook right now. Last night she made sloppy joe's and pasta salad. Tonight she wants to do fettuccine alfredo. My little one requested green pea's with it. So Thank God for my teenager. She is such a good kid. And my poor Mom has my little one at the library program today and she isn't feeling on top of things herself. I am thankful I have her!
I didn't realize there were so many Louisiana people on here!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 7 Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic What's for dinner tonight? Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page